GO AWAY!

GO AWAY (DARA ONE-SHOT)

-------

 

“Isn’t he like Narcissus?”, Juno giggled as she watched from her bird bath.     

Echo scoffed at the insolence. She never liked hearing that guy’s name ever since she had a double curse because of him. Living in the realm of gods and goddesses surely shakes the sanity out of her. She’d prefer living off with the ruthless and naïve mortals.

“You predicted she had my curse. And I’m pretty sure you meant the falling-in-love part.”, Echo reassured.

A smirk fell on the goddess’s lips as she brushed away the scene from her bird bath. “Oh yes, dear. I’ve been studying her aura ever since. You may just have the right descendant, this time.”, she winked at the grumpy Echo.

“I can’t let history happen over her. If she’s my descendant, I’d better save her from getting dumped.”

With Echo’s last words, she vanished from thin air leaving her patron, Juno, smiling over the thrill of what will come.

 

* Greek Myth 101:

*** Narcissus - a Greek hunter who was renowned for his beauty. He was exceptionally proud and disdained those who love him. Nemesis (goddess of revenge) saw this and attracted Narcissus to a pool where he saw his reflection in the water and fell in love with it. Unable to leave the beauty of his reflection, Narcissus died. (Riordan, 2012)

*** Juno - a Roman Goddess (Hera - Greek counterpart) the Roman goddess for women, marriage, and fertility. (Riordan, 2012)

*** Echo - a wood nymph who loved her voice. Due to Jupiter's (Zeus - Greek Counterpart) affairs, she had to distract Juno (Jupiter's wife) from learning his mischievous works. Eventually, Juno found about the treachery and punished Echo for making her repeat the voice of another. (thus originating the word, ECHO) She too had fallen over Narcissus but she was dumped by the rude guy.

 

DAY 1 …

How I wish it rained.

The summer’s heat is killing me with its radar dominating my every pore. I tell you, one piece of sanitizer would be a wonderful blessing for a reeking girl like me. I was desperate in finding at least a meter-wide of shade but I guess fortune’s not on my side today. Well, more like every day.

I looked at my watch for the nth time and Jongsuk better have a decent reason to why he made me wait here for like half an hour. If he just tried leaving a message for me that he can’t be on time (again), then I guess I’d have the nerve to move from where I was standing right now.

You see, my boyfriend is annoyingly strict. If he tells me that he’ll wait for me in that specific location, he means it. AND, the annoying part is, you can’t even leave there or just stride along the vicinity because he’s OBSSESIVE-COMPLUSIVE like that.

Just when I was about to lose it, his car screeched right in front of me. Seriously? He knew how my ears rang up so loudly because of screeches. For the record, he’s scratched out two lives from me in just an hour. Screw boyfriend ethics.

 

“Ride on!”, he called me up when he rolled down his window.

 

Wow, what a loser. He’s late for half an hour, screeched his car on my face and he says RIDE ON? Oh you just wait for my naggings, Jongsuk. YOU just wait.

 

“Gosh, babe. We’re going to my friend’s party, not to the sauna.”, he kidded around.

 

I was practically trying to chill down as I fixed my face. I can’t have my sermon on this guy while I’m at my worst. I am seriously having reeks from sweat and my armpits aren’t doing a pretty good job either. And if my boyfriend is going to mock me one last time, I’ll try barbecuing him outside so he’ll know how it feels.

 

“Babe? “, he called again.

“What?”

“You mad?”, he tried eyeing me on his mirror.

“No.”

 

He pouted as he reached for my hand. Gosh, the nerve of this guy!

 

“Sandyyy, Spongebob doesn’t like karate fights.”, he tried pleasing me with those cutie pie eyes.

“Oh yeah? Cos she’s itching on shredding Spongebob to pieces right now.”, I said as I gritted my teeth.

 

I did hope he got the message. But I guess he took my warning too lightly (again).

I wanted to fry him right now cos his cocky attitude isn’t helping at all. He didn’t even bother asking me if I was okay for waiting HALF AN HOUR and he didn’t even bother to say he’s sorry. Now, I thought I was with the wrong guy but yep, he’s still my boyfriend alright.

I was left there dumbfounded about the fact that he just laughed at me, seeing me as nothing but a mere entertainment for him.

Letting him off with his playful acts, I was caught off-guard as he parked his car along the weird alley I haven’t seen before. That’s odd. I’m not familiar with this place and I’m pretty sure his friend, Won Bin doesn’t live here.

 

“Babe. It’s boiling.”, he warned with those eyes like he has witnessed a ghost.

 

Oh crap. NOT THIS AGAIN. It’s one of his unexpected and UNTIMELY episodes of going to the washroom, fast. If there’s something reeking inside the car, I’m positive that it came from his bottom right now.

 

“What are you waiting for??? Go! There’s the men’s room over there! Thank heavens for public washrooms!”, I shooed him away as I covered my nose.

 

He ran for the cubicle while he was holding his stomach. Gods, I wanted to laugh at him for it really never gets old. He’s still dorky and clumsy despite of his badass attitude.

When I thought he was finished, I wondered to why he was looking like a retard, waving at me like he needed something immediately. I jumped off the car and hurriedly made way towards the men’s room, trying not to be sweating crazy again under the summer heat dwelling on me.

 

“Babe, I need tissue. There’s nothing left here.”, he pleaded as he’s morphing his face for enduring the ‘expired food’ in his insides.

“You called me hysterically because you needed tissue?”, I nonchalantly asked him.

“BABE! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!”

 

Okay. He’s panicking. I didn’t wait for his another telling as I rushed down to my bag inside the car and got the roll of tissue, I freshly bought from the nearby mart. Handing it to him, I felt like a mum babysitting her under-grown baby. Ugh.

I was relieved when he stepped out of the men’s room and smiled at me like a retard (again). Seriously? How can this guy be annoying and cute at the same time? It will eventually be my death, you know. He’s just that tolerable.

 

“Thanks for the tissue, babe.”, he whispered to my ear as he stuck the roll of tissue on my cheek.

 

Eep!

 

JONGSUK!!! Get that away from me! Have mercy on my soul, jeez!!!”, I skipped away as I threw the tissue out from my face.

 

Ugh. Who the hell, who are actually in their right mind, will actually shove the used tissue roll (fresh from your poop episodes) on your immaculately retouched face? GAAAH! It was so disgusting that I had to rush down to my bag again to get my baby wipes.

He laughed hysterically like this was not a big deal. For Pete’s sake, he knew how I was such a hygiene freak!

 

“You should have seen the look on your face, babe! Priceless!!!”, he gasped for air because of his uncontrollable laughter.

“Ya, Jongsuk. This is not funny. Let’s go!”, I tried working my electric eyes on him.

“Okay, okay. I give up. I’m pretty sure----“

 

He frantically touched his palms then his fingers. WHAT NOW?

 

“Hey. You okay?”

“Uhm…Babe? Have you seen---“

 

He was now looking on the ground like he just dropped off something very small. Erm….why does it feel like he just lost…

 

“Our ring!”, he cried.

 

I knew it. I told you, he’s clumsy.

 

“Gosh, Babe. I’m pretty sure you left in back in the men’s room.”, I told him as I massaged my temples.

“No, no, no! I’ve had it when I stepped out from there!”

“Then I guess you’d have to look again!”

 

Just then, he gasped with a gay-ish pitch. He was bulging his eyeballs out as he looked in the nearby canal. Ohhh-kay. This is getting weirder.

 

“Crap! It fell straight in the canal!”

 

I brushed off my hair in desperation, thinking this might be the worst day ever. I tried peeking in the said canal but it was too dark and reeky, I didn’t even bother to kneel down and check it more closely.

 

“Babe, you’re a genius!!!”, he suddenly blurted out.

“What? Me?”

“You’re arms are extremely thin! You can reach out through those holes and get the ring for me!”, he clapped his hands like it was the most amazing idea he ever thought about.

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! That place will shake the sanity out of me! It’s like a place full of roaches and rodents and----“

 

Jongsuk twirled his arms around my waist and kissed me on the cheek.

 

“Please, Dara. Our ring means everything for me. Can’t you at least try???”, he pleaded with his tiny voice.

“Jongsuk-ah…please not your aegyo episodes. You know their my weakness.”, I sighed.

“Pretty please? I promise I’ll let you shop for your Etude whatnots after this. Please? Please? Please?”

 

I give up. I can’t stand his aegyo anymore, most especially he’s leaving kissing marks across my left cheek. Save my soul please? I know I’m about to do something stupid but for him, I’ll gladly do it. Sigh

He unclasped from me and cheered for my regrettable decision to shower my arm with all the disgusting things I can think of. I tried peeking in first for the ring but I really can’t see anything. Jongsuk tried lighting all the way down through his mobile as I do all the nasty work.

 

“I can’t see it here. Are you sure it fell down in this…this thing?”

“Yep.”, he cheerfully answered.

 

I’m not sure to why he’s acting all cheery and cheesy by the fact that I’m plunging to my death. Dirty is just my weakest point.

 

“Why don’t you reach down? Try touching it!”, he stiffed suspiciously now.

“TOUCHING IT?! Are you insane???? The bacteria will spread through my pores the moment I laid down my finger there!!”

“Dara! You promised!!!”, he whined like a baby.

“Ugh! Fine, fine! Just wait okay!”

 

Oh my God. I can’t believe I’m laying down my fingers over this parasitic wasteland. I can feel its moist tingling every nerve cell of my body and I’m pretty sure that’s urine cos this thing goes down to the sewer. I nearly fainted if Jongsuk did not kiss me again for support. Oh my…I’m torn between the two deaths of me.

 

“Wait omg! I think I….”

 

As I thought I felt a hard metal, I squeezed it more only to find out that it moved away from me.

OH. MY. FRIGGIN. CRAP.

I DID NOT JUST….DON’T TELL ME I DIDN’T TOUCH….

 

“AHHHH!!!!!!”, I snatched away my hand from the canal as soon as possible.

“BABE? What? Did you get it????”, he shook off my shoulders.

 

I stared horribly at my non- hand now. THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING.

 

“BABE! WAKE UP!”, he shook me off harder.

“SHT JONGSUK!! I THINK I TOUCHED A RODENT’S TAIL! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!!!!!”, I freaked out at as I wanted to unclasp my right hand away from my body as it dawned perfectly on me.

 

I didn’t even bother when Jongsuk almost lied down on the ground laughing. I knew I just need to REBORN my hand back to its miraculous state. OH MY GOD I CAN’T BELIEVE I D A RODENT’S TAIL! MY LIFE IS RUINED! MY GLORY DAYS ARE OVER!

I was completely mortified that I can’t think anymore. I can’t even lay my fingers on my precious bag because I know the rodent germs will spread all over it. GAHHHH WHAT TO DO?!

 

DAY 2 ….

 

It turns out that the ring was with him all along. He forgot that he shoved it in his pocket so that he won’t lose it again. If you only knew how much I went hysterical for days, knowing my efforts were all wasted. Plus the fact that I wasn’t even completely healed with the rodent issue *cringes*, I think I needed a rehab.

Every day is another day, they may say. Damn, they’re right. Today was our second ‘monthsary’ and I tried thinking happy thoughts just to save this day from any mess. Good thing Jongsuk was not late at all or I’ll really fry him up til he gets third degree burns. He invited me up to this fancy gazebo in a five-star hotel with romantic ambiance rising up from the surroundings.

Aw. It’s so cute of him now bothering over things he once thought as petty.

 

“Babe, you didn’t really have to….”

 

But I stopped in my tracks as he pushed a chair, overlooking the pool, for me.

 

“Erm…aren’t we going in that gazebo?”, I whispered at him with my hopes up.

“No Babe. I thought you wanted something misty? The pool’s a great deal you know.”, he winked at me with those cunning eyes.

 

Oh-kay. By misty, I really meant something that will make me teary-eyed. NOT something literally WET. I decided not to show that I was kind of disappointed because he gets really sensitive when his efforts are not appreciated. I tell you, he can be a cry-baby.

He then reached for my hand and kissed it while looking at me. Aw. He’s such a romantic when he’s doing that. I feel like we’re a modern Romeo and Juliet with his centuries-old actions. I was so giddy I embraced him tightly.

 

“Happy monthsary, Babe!”, I happily greeted him.

 

I pulled away and initiated the kiss. Oh yes, I kind of swallow my pride when it comes to cheesy moments like this. He teases me by not making the first move so I kind of figured out I had to initiate it every time.

I opened my eyes to peek at his gorgeous face but I was stunned to see him looking somewhere, far away from me. I quickly pulled away from our kiss and looked at the direction his eyes were feasting at. He was obviously drooling over those ladies who are in their bikinis. Seriously? Bikinis at night? Ugh. What bunch of s.

 

“YA! I’m here!!!”, I tried getting his attention by pouting and waving on his face.

“Oh sorry. I thought I was in paradise. Wheww~”, he whistled as he fanned himself with my hand.

 

I slapped him lightly on the cheek and he shook his head like he realized I was still there.

 

“Hey Babe, should I get us drinks?”, he asked as he bit his lower lip.

 

I was going to say yes until I saw what he was plotting. He was trying to go over those show-offs by getting drinks from the nearby bar. UGH! This is not the way our night should be!

 

“YA!”, I called his attention again.

 

But it felt like he didn’t hear a thing. He was now walking towards them that I had to desperately call him back.

 

“I can’t hear you Babe!!!”, he whispered as he was inches away from me. SERIOUSLY?

“Urgh. Can you at least step off my dress? I bought this only for tonight!”, I pouted again.

 

He stepped on it again but this time, he put pressure on it. Oh so okay. He was up for his playful games again. Why does it have to be now?

 

“Babe! Get off! You’ll ruin it!”, I tried pulling it away from his big foot.

“Whatever you say Babe!”

 

Just when I was trying my best to pull it away from him, he let go of it easily. It left me unbalanced that I struggled not to actually fall in the pool. But curse my almighty killer heels, I was thrown off at the waters nevertheless.

 

“HELP! *paddles hysterically* BABE!!!!”

 

I caught a glimpse of him laughing again. If I was not just struggling myself away from humiliation, I could have punch that trickster face away from him. The visitors then started gathering around me, pointing to who should help the needy me.

 

Day 3…

In case you thought I let off my boyfriend (again) with his worst mistake in that hotel, well yeah. I did. I knew that it was kind of pathetic for me to forgive him almost every single day I had misfortunes whenever I’m with him, but let’s face it. It’s not even his fault. The poor guy’s just annoyingly innocent and somehow I was the stupid one.

To make up for what happened, he fulfilled his promise to treat me in my favourite Cosmetics shop, Etude. The place was just charming and immaculate for I am really a er for pink and cutie stuffs. Though Jongsuk really didn’t like the idea, he just can’t stand my aegyo too. *winks*

I was busy scanning for a bunch of lip-gloss in the cute stand when Jongsuk tapped me on my shoulder.

 

“Babe?”, he whispered.

“Hmmm?”

“You’re better than those Koreans in that poster. Their make-up suits you more.”, he complimented me as I was left blushing.

 

Shucks. He can really be sweet sometimes.

 

“Tch. They might hear you!”, I playfully pinched his cheeks.

“Nah. Let them. They’re all staring at me with those hungry eyes. I’m all doing them a favour by staying here, you know.”, he winked at me as he his lips.

“You are so gross!”

 

He laughed heartily again. Even though he finds it really amusing to tease me every time, I never got tired of getting all giddy when I see him smile. It’s like it’s only me and him and no one else in the world when his teeth flashes as his lips curved from ear to ear. Sighs

 

“Mam?”, the saleslady interrupted.

“Err, yeah?”

“Are you going to buy that? That cherry pink gloss is a limited edition!”, she happily endorsed.

 

Oh wow. Do they have to be that HAPPY? I mean, their marketing strategies are seriously for kids here. Jeez.

 

“Err…uhm, yeah. Babe?”

 

He knew that it was his cue. He automatically brought out his wallet but something made him stop. He stared with awe at the packed cosmetics on the counter, oddly smirking like a retard again. He was actually looking at one of those bulk promos the shop has been giving out lately.

 

“This too, please.”, he coolly told the lady.

“A-a-are you serious? But that costs too much!”

 

He winked at me again and there goes my puddle on the floor. Yep, I’m melting alright.

 

“Anything for you, Babe.”

 

The salesladies cringed with hints of jealousy that I can’t help but to be proud. You see, Jongsuk is one hell of a chick magnet. Wherever he goes, his presence awakes the corpses of those girls who are deprived of a man’s handsomeness. Seriously, though it makes me all jelly sometimes, I kind of got used to that setup. Well, he’s mine after all.

While I was busy daydreaming, I heard an annoying beeping sound that I only hear when my credit card goes bankrupt.

Uh-oh.

 

“Are you sure it’s already invalid?? But I checked that a month ago!”, Jongsuk tried to reason out to the lady.

“I’m sorry, Sir. But it clearly says---“

“Here. Try this one.”

 

I think he gave all the remaining credit cards in his wallet but none of them was working. Oh crap. Jongsuk looked at me helplessly that I can’t help but to pity him. Jeez.

 

“Erm, I think we have to cancel those first.”, I finally decided.

“No no no! I’ll just pay you at my pad. That’s my treat for you, Babe.”, he pouted with those cutie pie eyes.

 

There goes his aegyo powers again. Gosh. Even though I’m barely keeping my head up high because of the huge embarrassment caused by his invalid credit cards, I stepped out like everything’s normal.

 

“Here, miss. I’ll cash those out.”

 

After I paid for hella bucks, I saw Jongsuk wearing a smug on his face while I was totally clueless on why he seems so cool and happy about something. I tell you, if my hunch is right, he’s probably up to no good. Or…my misfortune is awaiting me to do something stupid again.

As we were going out of the shop, their security alarms started to rang out loud. Sirens of deafening sounds and small cups of red light circling around, I knew there was something wrong with the situation. I looked at Jongsuk with tons of questions in my mind but I guess he too, was surprised as I am.

 

“Miss, we have to check your bag.”, the guard stiffly told me.

“Excuse me! But I’m not stealing any---“

 

He cut me off as he stubbornly grabbed by shoulder bag and dumped it on the table. He was checking out each and every thing I have until he grabbed this bottle of an un-purchased Nymph Aura Mist. Right there I knew I didn’t buy it and certainly did not even put it in my bag!

 

“But---but, it’s only a misunderstanding! I didn’t even----!”

 

I tried explaining but I guess the guard was convinced of dragging me to the nearest police station. I held Jongsuk’s hand tightly, hoping he would save me from this crappy scenario.

 

“Sir, I’m pretty sure my girlfriend won’t do such a thing!”, he put on his poker face.

 

I nodded accordingly.

 

“Evidence is inevitable. Excuse me, but I really think you’d have to come with us.”, the guard stubbornly said.

“B-B-But…Mr. Guard, can’t you at least see this further? I swear to all living gods out there, I didn’t STEAL ANYTHING!!!”

“I am sorry mam, but you’d have to pace up or I’ll drag you to the mall’s control area.”

“BABE????!!!! DO SOMETHING!”, I shouted at him who’s pretty cool with the situation.

“Err…I’ll call you back, babe! I’ll get my lawyer!”

 

He then dialled up someone on his phone and ran away. He gestured his crappy palm to me, maybe telling me I should stay put. Seriously? STAY PUT? I’m the middle of being dragged by a security officer just because he saw that shtty bottle inside my bag! ARGH

------------------

 

Park Bom is laughing out loud. Again, she’s laughing at my misfortunes. Well thank goodness it’s a Friday night but I’m starting to regret that I came with her than with my boyfriend.

 

“You tried to get something from a canal?!”, she laughed heartily.

“Yep”

“He shoved a used tissue roll on your cheeks?!”, she gasped for air.

“Yep”

“Splashed yourself in a pool on your monthsary?!”, she nearly fainted.

“Yep”

“Made you pay a hundred bucks as his treat?!”, she had snorts between her laughs.

“Yep”

“AND YOU WERE AN EX-CONVICT IN THE HISTORY OF THIS ETUDE SHOP?!”, oh gods she’s dying.

 

If someone has been reported to have popped nerves and vessels because of lack of air, then I’ll tell you it’s Bom. She was literally rolling on the floor while she was holding her stomach real tight. I had to curse her a thousand times before she stopped laughing crazily but she was really that insane to drop seconds of laughter until she completely got over it. I guess her happiness merely depends on how my humiliation meter goes up every fcking day.

 

“I can’t believe you managed to put up with this jerk for three months!!!”, she gasped as she reached for her juice.

“I told you, he’s tolerable.”, I sighed.

“No! You’re completely dense and clueless aren’t you?!”

 

Here she goes with her nonsense sermon again. Wake me up if she’s over, will you?
 

“Stop yawning! I’m serious!”, she threw me a pillow.

“You were laughing hysterically a while ago and now you’re acting all serious? Wow. Great mood shifter! can I borrow one?”, I sarcastically commented on her.

She just rolled her huge eyes on me and sat up straight. “Jongsuk is nothing but a worthless punk! He enjoys ruthless games and disdains all those who like him! And duh, you’re one of them!”

“He’s my boyfriend.”, I told her like it explains everything.

 

She sighed as she scooted closer to me, with her dead serious eyes.

 

“Run, Dara. Before it’s too late.”, she taunted me while gripping my hands tightly.

“Tch. Stop being so dramatic, Bom! You’re so wrong about him! He’s cute and sweet and---“

“An ? Uhuh.”

 

I elbowed her away from me and glared at her wicked as I can. Gosh. How can she be so judgmental? She never even met the person! Plus, she always have thought of him as a ‘bad idea’ and ‘gay’.

 

“I told you and a thousand times I will, he’s a PLAYER, and one heck of a good one! I can’t even convince myself that he’s a two or three or any numeral-timer because he’s been with countless girls! Just because you’re not good in gossiping doesn’t mean you don’t have to believe me!”, she raised her arms like giving a sermon on the mount.

“Jongsuk will never do that to me.”, I held my skirt tightly.

“Nuh-uh! He’s like the FATHER of POLYGAMY! If he can only throw his seeds to each and every girl he flirted then he’ll be promoted as the FATHER OF OVERPOPULATION! GOSH! How can you be so dense! You’re the one who told me he’s been feasting over girls in bikinis while he was kissing you!”

 

I admit, I flinched as she said those harsh words over my Jongsuk. Though I know he’s the real deal, I never even left a doubt about our relationship. It may be full of push and pulls but at the end of the day, we’ll eventually make up. Well, I will initiate it of course. He’s a tease like that.

 

“So???”, she impatiently asked for my reaction.

“Fine. I’ll give this one night for you prove me you’re wrong.”

 

She shrieked out of joy and excitement as she hugged me. Although screeches are on top of my not-to-listen list, her screams are just extraordinary. But since she’s my best friend, I have the obligation to get used to it. Sigh

I told her where Jongsuk may be right now since he messaged me earlier that he’ll be in some club after my continuous naggings to where he’s at. Bom told me we should go for a disguise cover, wearing big glasses and scarfs around our face but I gladly turned down her ridiculous plan. When we already got off to this East Night Club, we were on our stealth mode to find my “flirt” boyfriend.

 

“Fudge. I can’t see him with tons of people busting their bodies everywhere!”, Bom retorted.

“Wait. I’ll try to---“

 

But before I can even say a word, I saw him in a row of stools along the bar with his group of friends, laughing over something I don’t know. I heaved a sigh of relief as I didn’t find any ty girl flirting with my man.

 

“See? Not a shadow of those s.”, I proudly beamed at her.

“Tch. We’ll have to move closer! We’ll see what they’re laughing about!”

 

Remind me to spank my best friend as we spy my innocent boyfriend. She’s just practically insane and I can’t believe I even agreed with this thing. But when actually got a meter away from them, I was tempted to eagerly hear their conversation.

 

“Fck! She’s such a retard!”, gasped his friend named Won Bin.

“I told you she’s an easy one!”

“And she actually celebrate monthsaries?! What the hell!”, TOP laughed hysterically.

“I know! I’m actually planning to put up more pranks on her because she’s gullible like ! She didn’t even have a single clue to who framed her in that Etude whatnot!”, Jongsuk held his tummy while laughing.

“I can’t believe she actually thought you’re head over heels with her. Bookworms are so not in our list!”, TOP mocked me with those fragile words.

 

Bom looked at me like she has seen a ghost. I didn’t even bother to hear more as I strode my way out of this shtty club. I wanted to weep over what I have heard but I know I’ll look stupid if I do. I knew I had enough of them so I decided just to let it go some other time.

 

“What are you doing?! Why won’t you punch that jerk?!”, Bom stopped me by my wrist.

“Like you said, he’s a worthless punk.”

 

With my last words, a drop of tear betrayed me. I just can’t believe I had to go through this kind of treatment after what I’ve done for him. I don’t think I can even face another day thinking everything has been all just a prank.

--------------------------------

“I can’t look at this anymore, Juno. I need to get down there.”, Echo stomped all the way to her patron.

Juno still seemed unconvinced about her leaving but she knew Echo is just as stubborn as her petty descendant named Dara. She sighed as she studied Echo’s persistent face steaming all over her ghostly body.

“You cannot interfere with mortals.”, Juno calmly explained.

“But her case is badly different! And Jumping Jupiters! I am not a goddess! I’m a wood nymph! Interacting with mortals is what I do!”, she swept under her patron’s throne with her pleading eyes.

“I can’t humiliate myself with your clumsy works again, Echo. You’d have to be sure you’ll come and go clean.”

“I know that okay. Just please let me strangle that Dara’s hair for being so annoyingly pitiful!”, she cupped her hands together as she pleaded more.

“Fine…Just let me summon you an enchantment.”, Juno sighed as she roll her eyes.

----------------------------------------

 

Two days. It’s been two days since I didn’t even bother going out of my condo unit. I was so mad, pissed, humiliated and a bunch of underwhelming feelings surged through me at once.

Of course, Bom tried to console me. She was basically always in her Amazona mode, taunting me with her threats for Jongsuk to suffer and die of triple embarrassment he gave me. But I was still not getting over the fact that my three months with him are nothing but a piece of fantasy. That I was too stupid to fall for his games.

While I was sorting out his things in my pad, I cried endlessly. I had rolls of tissue beside me in case I’ll be out of one. But looking at those just made me want to kill Jongsuk more.

 

“KYAAHHH~~~ YOU STUPID JERK! I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU HAD ME FALLING FOR YOU!!”, I sobbed heartily again.

 

Then someone just poked my head so hard that I fell on the floor. That’s odd. No one’s here but me. After creeps tingled down to my spine, I looked back to who it might be. OH GODS PLEASE, I DON’T NEED SADAKO RIGHT NOW!

 

“Boo!”, a transparent floating woman scared me with her eyes and taunting smiles.

 

I shrieked so loud and backed away from her as far as possible. Am I even dreaming? Is this a prank again?! WHY IS SHE FLOATING?!

 

“Save that drama you dimwit. We’ve got business to accomplish.”, she grumpily said as she slumped her arms on her chest.

“W-W-Who are you?! Don’t eat my soul, please!!!”, I closed my eyes with my trembling hands but when I peeked out, she was snorting at me with her angry face.

“I AM NOT HADES ALL RIGHT! I am Echo. A mere wood nymph, at your service.”

 

Oh-kay. As weird on how she curtsied like I’m all royal, she mentioned that she was a WOOD NYMPH? Since I’m taking up Literature as my degree, I knew all about Greek Mythologies. So it really didn’t freak me out that there’s such word. What my sanity is that, I MISSED THE PART THEY WERE REAL.

 

“You’re joking right?”

“No one takes us seriously! No doubt Narcissus dumped me! Hmp!”, she was all grumpy again with her snorting nose.

“Erm…hold on that thought. You are a ghost wood nymph. And I am a human….What am I supposed to do with you now?!”, I grabbed the hairs out of me as I really can’t calm myself with her presence.

“Good question. Unfortunately, you are my descendant. And I can’t let YOU have the same fate as I had. We’ll pulverize you boyfriend as soon as I laid my eyes on him.”, she smirked perfectly that it crept me out again.

 

I tried to gather all details I know about Echo, the wood nymph. Hmmm…she had the curse of Juno. It was that curse when she can’t talk unless someone talks with her and she’ll only be obliged to repeat the last word. Err....she too had---- oh gods.

“You were the one who fell in love with that conceited guy, right?!”, I beamed my eyes on her as thoughts started gathering in my mind.

“It’s Narcissus for you.”, she rolled her eyes on me.

“Yeah, that Narcissus. Shucks. I can’t believe I’m talking to the REAL ECHO!”

I guess I was too absorbed of this star-struck thing that I forgot that I may be the only person who knows stuff like this exist in the real world.

“Err…why can you talk freely? You had that curse, right?”, I trembled as I asked her that sensitive part.

“Oh, that! Ha! That was ages ago! Juno and I are buddies now.”, she winked at me like everything’s normal.

Yeah, buddies. Sure. A goddess like Juno exists. Before I even fainted with the idea, I squeezed the curiosity out of me more.

“Erm, is Jongsuk a descendant of Narcissus? That’s why you’re helping me???”

The wood nymph scrunched her eyebrows and looked at me like I’m mad.

“Absolutely not! The guy died, reincarnated, died, reincarnated and oh you know what’s next. He never got to have descendants. He’s busy being in love with himself. I was just trying to get to your mind the quickest way to get rid all of that JERK JONGSUK.”, she floated around my pad as she lied down.

“Oh…”

 

If Bom was here, she’s going to flip her hair out because of too much excitement. Having a wood nymph on my side will be one heck of a deal in taking my revenge on that stupid Jongsuk. I’ll surely make him pay for all those things he did to me.

 

“So? When will we start?”, I asked the chilling nymph.

 

She snapped her fingers too loud and after a blink of an eye, I was in the school café. WOAH!

 

“He’s right there, sharing a milkshake with a freshman.”, Echo shoved her hands in her pocket.

 

I can still feel that jealousy over my body but this time, madness replaced it instantly. I was so angry I can pull out each and every strand of his perm hair and make him eat it. Uhuh, Amazona Bom has just possessed my body.

 

“Go on. Break it up with him. I have your side, don’t worry.”, Echo managed to push me towards the café despite of her transparent body.

I sighed heavily as I stepped towards them. I didn’t realize that my hands were shaking until Echo made them stop. She had to nod at me grimly for me to go on with the plan. Gosh. Wish me luck.

 

“I can’t believe you’re staring at me with those cute eyes.”, Jongsuk held the girl’s hand.

 

The girl responded with her fluttering lashes and giggles.

That’s it. I punched their table as hard as my thin arm can and glared at him with my electric eyes. He surely got off-guard as he stared at me horribly.

 

“D-D-Dara…?”, he cowardly called my name.

“Jongsuk oppa? Who is she?”, the girl asked.

 

I scoffed at them and fanned myself to stop me from punching this guy. How can he hit a freshman and break the girl’s heart?! I quickly grabbed the half-emptied milkshake and poured it down on his gawking face. I can’t help but to laugh as I savoured the moment of triumph.

 

“We are so over, you jerk. I can’t believe you left me because you knew I’m pregnant!”

 

I heard Echo laughing at my great lie. Not really paying attention to her, I knew I won as Jongsuk’s eyeballs are nearly going to pop out as I said those words.

 

“YOU’RE PREGNANT?! JONGSUK OPPA! HOW COULD YOU?!”, the girl shrieked and slapped him.

 

She went away and I knew I successfully had my first strike. I was going to leave him there when he furiously called out my name.

 

“DARA! WHAT THE FCK ARE YOU PLAYING AT?!”, I heard him slamming the chairs down.

 

I smirked and looked back at him.

 

“Maybe I wasn’t as easy as you thought, RETARD.”

--------------------------------

A few more days and revenge became my surname. I was enjoying the part where a magical wood nymph helps me a lot in pulverizing the jerk’s sanity. Wherever he flirted, I always got to pop out from nowhere and give him some of our tricks.

The last time I attempted to ruin his date was when Echo made Jongsuk vomit dried leaves out from his own mouth. Flabbergasted to what he just did, his date eventually slapped him because seriously, it was way too gross.

My classes ended early today that Bom and I agreed to meet up in the school’s park. It’s actually not that huge, just enough to accommodate those college groups and couples around the vicinity.

 

“Boo!”

 

Echo suddenly popped out beside me that made me fall from my seat.

 

“SERIOUSLY?! Stop barging in out of nowhere!”, I whispered as I gritted my teeth.

“Nah, you’ll get used to it. Anyway, we have somewhere to go to.”

 

I shrugged my shoulders. I am way too tired of playing tricks again. I needed some break from all of those pranks and whatnots. Please. Plus, I kind of get so guilty whenever I knew I crossed my limits. It’s like, I’m turning into a person I’m not. sigh

 

“Echo, I’m not in the mood.”, I lazily replied.

 

She elbowed me with her transparent elbow that still creeps me out every darn time. “Tch. This is important. We’re meeting Nemesis.”, she proudly announced.

 

“Nemesis? You mean, Narcissus?”

“Dimwit. No. Nemesis, the goddess of revenge! Duh!”

I almost choked down my own saliva. I’m meeting a goddess?!

“What?! Why???”

 

Rolling her eyeballs on me, she snapped her finger again before I even stopped her. Next thing I knew, I was in some kind of a Chinese Restaurant with red lanterns hanging everywhere. The smell of various herbs and spices stung my nose that I can’t help but to cough everything out.
 

“Where the hell is she?”, Echo muttered in her grumpy tone.

 

I saw a huge bowl of fortune cookies. Wow. I’ve never seen anything like that before. The bowl was as huge as an aquarium with tons of colored fortune cookies. I was almost tempted to get one but a lady in a black hood held my wrist.

 

“Time is of great importance, dear.”

 

I almost shrieked out as she sneered. I never liked horrible looking aunties, most especially if she seemed like she’s not bathing for years. Gods, how I wish I brought my sanitizer with me.

 

“NEMESIS!”, Echo shouted cheerily.

 

The woman turned her attention at Echo and gave her a very unfriendly stare.

 

“I am too busy with your tricks, Echo. Your friend right here oozes that curse of you.”, Nemesis complained.

 

Echo just clacked her tongue too loud and put her hands on her waist. “Nah. That’s why I was trying to help her. But I guess we needed your help. There’s not much time.”

 

I had no clue what they were talking about but we settled on a table near the huge bowl. Nemesis was eyeing me with her sharp eyes as I gulped down every bit of saliva I have.

 

“Sandara Park, you do know the consequences of your decision right?”, Nemesis coldly asked.

 

I shook off my fear of her and tried to get my tongue working. “To be honest, I have no idea to what is happening right here.”

 

“She’s naïve. Just give us your fortune cookie.”, Echo impatiently suggested.

 

I had that clue that Nemesis didn’t want any order taken from a mere nymph but she somehow agreed. After getting a black fortune cookie, she handed it to me with her old, fully veined hand.

 

“Crack it up and revenge will prevail.”

 

With her last taunting words, I was back to the school’s park again. Everything seems so fuzzy that I almost dropped the cookie.
 

“You heard her.”

 

Echo puckered her lips towards the direction of the cookie. She was obviously telling me to crack it up now.

 

“What did she mean ‘revenge will prevail’??”, I gave her my curious stares that she hated the most.

 

She laughed heartily before she even answered. I kind of get irritated when she does that. “Duh. That Jongsuk will have the curse of Narcissus! He’ll eventually fall in love with himself and never be happy! Genius, aren’t I?”

 

“WHAT?! That’s horrible! Why would I do that to him?!”

 

Echo stared at me like I’ve totally lost it. “Dara, you are still a dimwit. He was so full of himself that he deserves that punishment! Aren’t you happy that you’ll have your revenge for eternity with no expiration dates?!”

 

I admit. It was pretty tempting. But the idea of putting a curse over Jongsuk creeps me out more than the times when Echo just barges in and out of nowhere.

 

“I…I’m not sure I can be that harsh.”, I almost whispered to her.

 

She scoffed at me with annoyance painted all over her face. I’m pretty sure she wants to strangle every strand of my hair right now. Oh please, no.

 

"You’ll do it or I WILL.”, Echo warned me.

 

Just then, Bom came. I was never relieved in my entire life to see my best friend working her way towards me. Most of the time, I’d rather talk to myself than to her.

 

“Gosh! I thought I’d never see you!”, Bom hugged me tightly.

 

Echo then vanished to thin air as soon as she was left out. How I wish she would never come back….just for now.

 

As Bom unclasped from me, she started fiddling with her fingers. “Have you heard the news?”, she finally blurted out.

 

“What news?”

“This.”, she handed me a stationery with huge letters that formed ‘I’M SORRY, BABE. FORGIVE ME.’

 

I swear. I wanted to smile from ear to ear. But knowing Echo might just be around; I didn’t want to take some chances to be punished by her magic tricks. She’ll flip out once she knew I’m getting soft for the guy again.

 

I heaved a deep sigh. “Where did you get this?”

 

“Gosh, Dara. Are you blind?! It’s all over the campus!”, she grinned like a maniac.

 

I can’t say I wasn’t impressed. I always knew Jongsuk has his sweet attacks but it sank down to me perfectly that it was just an act. But what is he playing right now? Is he trying to get even too?

 

Bom knuckled me lightly on my cheek. “Sweet , huh? But something tells me he’s kind of serious.”

“No. You heard him before. He’s playing pranks, trust me.”, I tried to convince myself.

 

As I looked away, I saw a lady in her white sparkly dress. She was waving at me like a beauty queen that I can’t help but to doubt if she’s real or not.

 

“Bommie! Can you see that beautiful lady?!”, I pointed out in her direction.

 

Bom tried looking to where I was pointing at but she seems not seeing anything. I then decided to hurriedly walk over to the lady, expecting she’s someone from Echo’s realm. Well, her sparkly dress just invites a hygiene freak like me.

 

“Who are you?”, I innocently asked.

 

She curtsied at me and waved her hand on top of her. Suddenly, everything was white and we were alone.

 

She smiled at me sweetly but her grim face isn’t just as friendly. “I have to warn you, my dear. Echo has been blinded by her bitter love with Narcissus. She thinks she’s preventing you from being like her but the truth is, you’re so close in falling over her curse.”

 

I scrunched my brows as I tried to decipher what she said.

 

“Echo’s been helping me and I don’t have her curse. Who are you anyways?”

 

She sighed like she sensed hopelessness in me. “I am Fortuna, handler of futuristic fortune over mortals and godlings. I see that you have met my rival, Nemesis. She’s quite….persuasive.”

 

My brain's so twisted with these mythical creatures popping out from nowhere. If I had the chance to turn back time and not meet them, I’ll gladly take the offer. Gosh, they’re driving me insane.

 

“So what’s your business with me?”

 

She handed me a snowy white fortune cookie. WHAT NOW?!

 

“Take this and save yourself and your love one from darkness. You do not have to take revenge. You just have to embrace him back. I can see a bright future for you.”, she tried convincing me with her calm senses.

 

But before I can even ask again, I was back at the middle of the school park, facing my worried best friend.

 

She shook me endlessly until I got my senses back. “YA! SANDARA! WAKE UP!!!”, she shouted at the top of her lungs.

 

“What----what happened?”, I massaged my temples as dizziness overcame me again.

Bom sighed with relief while thumping her chest with her fist. “Gosh. I thought you were possessed or something. You just won’t open your eyes!”

 

Oh crap. I’m really going to overthrow those mythical creatures in the Underworld. They’re messing up with my mind!

Just then, I saw Jongsuk and his friend running their way towards me. Bom gladly stepped aside while breathing heavily as Jongsuk hugged me until I can’t breathe.

 

“Oh sweet heavens, Dara! You got me worried! Bom called me and I didn’t know what to do!”, Jongsuk panicked.

 

I wanted to embrace him back if not for his friends who were snickering in the corner. All my bad memories with him began rushing back to me. I unclasped from his hug and pushed him away from me.

 

“You don’t have to pretend you care, jerk.”, I bitterly told him.

“But I do care! I know I’ve been a horrible boyfriend but I came to realize things! I am sorry. I really am!”

 

I knew him too well that deep down, I can assure you he’s acting again. The idea of slapping him out of his tricks is just getting too tempting.

 

“Open the Black cookie”

 

A tingle went down to my spine and I knew it was Echo who was whispering behind me. I tried acting cool so that they won’t think I’m kind of possessed or something.

 

“Go away, Jongsuk.”, I stiffly told him.

“I wanted to make it up with you! I’ve been miserable for months and….and I think you are just the right remedy.”, he tried smiling sweetly.

“Awwwww!!!” I’ve heard Bom and Jongsuk’s friend teasing us like those middle school gossipers. Jeez.

 

I wanted to tangle Bom’s straight hair to different directions right now. How could she have the guts to tease me when it was her plot to bust my ex-boyfriend?! Grr.

 

“Fortune will come, my dear. Just open the White Cookie”

 

Now Fortuna’s toying with my mind too?! Oh gods of Greece, can my misery just end already?! I was so full of them already that I wanted to burn everyone to ashes. Who do they think they are? My love life is not something anybody can be bossy about! Ugh

 

“HECK NO! I WON’T OPEN ANY OF YOUR FCKING COOKIES!!!”

 

I guess I startled Jongsuk and the others but heck, I didn’t care. My head’s spinning like crazy and I’ve wanted to stop all this nonsense right at this moment. No more magic.

 

“D-D-Dara…? Erm, we’re not giving you any cookies….”, Bom tried to explain.

 

Jongsuk even tried to caress me in his arms but I knew better than to let him.

 

“Look, Jongsuk. I’m sorry if my misfortunes all transferred to you these days. Nevertheless, I am not sorry that I chose to break it up with you. I am so done being your prank victim and you, playing with girls’ hearts. Though I may not be okay for now, I know things will get better if I would stay away from you. So please. GO AWAY from my sight while I’m still being kind.”

 

I guess I got them all off-guard that no one even dared to response. I then took a step to my best friend, Bom, who forgot how to breathe all of a sudden, and grabbed her hand to get the hell out of here.

Jongsuk, who got pretty embarrassed, was still persistent to whatever plan he has in his mind. He tried to stop me by getting our way.

 

He tried working his aegyo again while rubbing his palms together. "Dara...Sandy?? Babe??", he called repeatedly that I can't help but to be pissed off already.

 

I gathered all my willpower to do what I have been itching to do all this entire time. I balled my fist furiously and knocked Jongsuk on the ground with my solar hand. Ha. Serves him right.

 

"Next time you mess up with me, try thinking twice, RETARD."

-----------------------------

 

Weeks passed and neither of the mythical creatures ever appeared to me again. Though I have been relieved that all of this fuss was over, I kind of missed having Echo around. She's really handy when it comes to transportation, you know.

When I was about to leave from my pad, a tingle crashed down to my back again. Uh-oh. Speaking of mythical creatures....

 

"You did great for a mortal.", a voice as sheer as glass boomed in my eardrums.

 

I looked back and I thought I was going to be blind. This floating creature right here isn't Echo alright. She had this fancy crown on her head and a very royal-like costume. I'm guessing she's a goddess.

 

"I am Juno, the queen of all goddesses, the patron of Echo."

"Oh...hi.", I dumbfoundedly replied. Gosh. She's Hera? Err, I mean Juno...the wife of JUPITER?! Woah.

 

She smiled at me like a mother. "You passed the trials I bestowed upon you. Well done."

 

"What? Wait...You were all behind those?!"

"Apparently, yes. I wanted to teach Echo a lesson in having a bitter spot for Narcissus. It actually dawned on her that neither revenge nor fortune can get her out of her curse. All thanks to you, my dear."

I raised my brow in confusion. "Look, I did nothing. I chose none."

"Which was very clever of you! Sometimes, sorting things in a mortal way can be very helpful to us. Echo realized she just needed to face the consequences of her actions and learn how to move on, just like what you did."

 

I tried not to seem all flattered. I didn't know I did a noble job as a pathetic, hopeless romantic. Jeez.

 

Juno then gave her last flash of smile to me and snapped her finger.

 

"I have a little gift for you, Sandara Park. Open the door, and you'll see." Just after that, she vanished into sparks of blinding light. I tried recalling what she said about a gift for me and I didn't even think twice of literally, opening up my door.

 

When I actually opened up, I almost dropped my jaw with the man standing in front of me. He was blonde, with very eyes and a skinny but manly body. His charisma almost drowned me into a puddle but I tried remaining calm.

 

"Uhm...can I....get you----something?" Gosh I sounded so tense.

 

Even before responding, he smiled at me and said "Hello, I'm Kwon Jiyong. I'm kind of new in the neighborhood...I was just wondering if you can...show me around?"

 

I tried not to get all so giddy. Gods of Greece, this man is a keeper! I composed myself and tried to act normal.

I too, showed a flash of my cute smile and tugged my hair behind my ear.

 

"My pleasure."

 

Forget about the pathetic-hopeless romantic part, this girl deserves a date for now! KYAAA~~~

 

*FIN*