Chapter 2 - Part 1: Lost

Overmorrow

It was finally dark outside, night lights made the city brighter and much more colorful, people walking on the streets often with comrades laughing and enjoying the night can be seen, to just anyone this would seem like the city's coming to life but to him it only meant that it was again time for him to get up, get dressed and make his way to the convenience store he's been working at for the last three years. When he finally got there, he just seats in front of the cash registrar and wait for customers to come and go.

As soon as the clock strikes 7:00 and the sun rises his shift ends and he takes the longest way home by walking. Walking alone calmed him down, not that it kept him away from all the nightmares of the past the he kept shutting out, but it still gave him little peace, little hope that maybe just maybe he'll see him again. But it has been five years since that day, and not even his voice he's heard. Deciding and hoping that every other day might be different he still takes chances and walks, looks around, wishes that he'll see him again. But the past years were no kinder, they all ended up the same, he never found him no matter how much he looked.

You'd think he should've given up from all those failed attempts, but he never did, the day he lost him was also the day he finally decided to never look back. He never went home, if it was anything like a home, to the orphanage. He left all his belongings, even the little savings he had with him. He just walked and walked in the big city, being a 16 year old boy who had spent almost all of his life caged inside the orphanage he knew nothing about the big city, but as expected life was no kinder in the outside world. He had no money with him, no nothing, not even an education that could've at least helped him.

So as expected he ended up begging for money, some days he'd be lucky enough to be able to buy food, but most days he'd starve. Until finally, a priest found him and pitied him. He let him stay in the convent and gave him food. The kind priest even sent him to school and in return he helped with the chores there. But this only lasted for a year before he ran away again, not because he was being given a hard time, but it was because he no longer had plans on being close to anyone because to him it was pointless starting over again when everyone else leaves him.

He was meant to be alone.

After he ran away he found a job at a convenience store and took another part time job moving furniture and through the little money he made from there he was able to rent a very small apartment and pay bills. From that day on he lived day to day. Same routine, same lonely nights. He lived alone, he may be surrounded by people but he was still alone.

He'd rather be alone.

He kept a very big distance from everyone. Anyone who tried to be close to him, he pushes away. Dull and lonely were possibly the closest words to describe Kim Mingyu's life, that was until he met Jeon Wonwoo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

He felt it again, his heart was racing and the unbearable pain on his back caused him to almost fall off completely on the flight of stairs. He started feeling ice cold on a hot summer afternoon. Knowing that he was all alone he had to force himself to get back up and walk towards the medicine cabinet and get his pain killers. He took more than what was prescribed of him, he did not care that he might overdose on them, the pain was killing him too anyway. Closing the medicine cabinet he was now facing his reflection in the mirror. He couldn't believe it was coming back again, it was months ago since he last felt this. Slowly tears came running down his face, he did not want this. He did not deserve this. With all his anger he punches the mirror in front of him and it smashed to pieces. His knuckles were now bleeding nonstop and shards of glass were left on his skin but he felt numb from the pain. Instead of doing anything to stop the bleeding he stares at it as his tears run down his face nonstop like the blood in his hand.

He was about to punch what's left of the mirror when ,as if on cue, his phone started ringing, he knew it was from work since he was yet again nowhere to be found during the meeting with the board members. "Hello?" he choked back his tears. "What is wrong with you?! When are you ever going to grow up?!" the person from the other line fumed.

"I can't talk now," he says immediately as soon as he heard his father's angry voice on the phone. "Listen, father-"

"No, Wonwoo , you listen. I will not tolerate this kind of behavior from you again again. I need you at the office tomorrow, 9:00 am sharp. You will not shame me again in front of very important people, do you understand?" "Y-yes, sir..." was all Wonwoo could say, he no longer had the energy to argue, yet again, with his father.

 

The next morning he makes his way to the office and meets his father, he was bearing the same expression he had always had whenever Wonwoo was around. He was clearly disappointed in him. "You better have a good explanation for your ,yet another, absence yesterday. Start explaining." his father demands, with this Wonwoo just laughs quietly to himself. "What are you laughing about now?!" asks his father who was clearly outraged by his son's behavior.

"Quit treating me like a kid, dad." Wonwoo says as he finally look his father in the eye. 

"Then maybe you should start facing responsibilities!"

"Did it not ever occur to you that I do not want to run your company?" he snapped back and with that he turned to leave.

"Jeon Wonwoo," his father calls after him for one last time. "You dare walk out that door and I'm disowning you." he finally warns his son. Wonwoo simply gave him a bitter-looking smirk before finally leaving completely.

 

 

 

 

Night finally came and it was again time for him to make a living. He hated his job but he had no choice. Tonight was going to be just the same, or so Mingyu thought. As he was busying himself with lazily grouping all the same flavored energy drinks together in the fridge while his co-worker was sighing non-stop by the cash registrar four armed men entered the store and demanded for all the store's money. Not wanting to die just yet his co-worker gave the money up in return the two got beaten up badly before the robbers fled. Of course Mingyu got fired along with his co-worker, and like a cherry on top he also got fired from his other job because he could not report for several days since he got it real bad when they beat him up. His job but becoming jobless even more, now that he had no means of earning money he was bound to lose his apartment because he had no savings too. Mingyu had to look for another job quick or else he'll end up back on the streets, begging for money.