Sacrifice

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

sacrifice [sakrəˌfīs] n. - an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy.

 

“It’s been two days,” Baekhyun whispered quietly as he tucked his face into the crook of his arm. “Two days since Mihyun was taken.”

“You think I don’t know that already?” Sehun snarled in return as he shot the boy a nasty look.

“Don’t talk to him like that, he’s just worried!” Chanyeol growled as he wrapped a protective arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders. He pressed the shaking Baekhyun’s head against his chest and glowered up at Sehun. “We’re all worried, Sehun, not just you, so could you stop acting like such a ?”

He and Sehun stared hard into each other eyes until Sehun finally let out a small sigh. “Yeah, I know, sorry,” Sehun muttered as he ran his fingers through his coarse hair. “I just… I can’t…”

He concluded his words with a loud shout of distress, slamming his fist against the wall. After registering no sense of pain, he let out another loud growl and smashed his other fist into the wall with a helpless cry.

“Hurting yourself isn’t going to save her,” Jongin’s voice piped up. Sehun’s head turned to the boy who was leaning against the cage door with crossed arms and cold eyes. “Take it from me.”

Sehun turned and pressed his back against the wall, slowly sliding down into a helpless heap. He clenched tight handfuls of his hair with his fists, “What am I supposed to do, Jongin? How can I save her?”

“Pull yourself together,” Jongin growled, snatching Sehun by the collar to pull him up. He shoved him against the wall, ignoring the cry of protest from Baekhyun. “You pull yourself together, Sehun.”

“I know, I know,” Sehun murmured as he stared down at his feet. “I know I have to pull it together, I know. I just… I just don’t know what to do, Jongin. I’m so pathetic, aren’t I? If Mihyun was in my shoes she would have come up with ten different ways to save me already, but I just… I just can’t and it’s so frustrating and I can’t think about anything else except for how useless I am to her.”

“Oh Sehun, you need to calm down right now,” Jongin glared as he slammed Sehun against the wall again. “If you don’t calm down you’ll never be able to save Mihyun, do you understand me?”

Sehun paused for a second before slowly nodding his head.

“Good,” Jongin nodded as he let go of Sehun’s collar. “Now that you’re calm, I’ll tell you what I found out while you were here being hysterical.”

“She’s being kept here, Mihyun, here at the Noye house,” Jongin crossed his arms as he stared hard at Sehun. “Don’t say anything before I’m done,” Jongin quickly added in once Sehun’s eyes widened with surprise. “I’m not going to tell you where she is until I’m finished talking so you better keep quiet.”

“Jongin! She could be--!” Sehun exclaimed, this time taking Jongin’s collar into his grasp.

“Oh Sehun,” Jongin stated firmly, not even flinching at the rough handling. “I don’t care what she could be. What I do care about is you not letting your emotions get the better of yourself because you’ll only make the problem worse.”

Jongin was so sure that Sehun was about to punch him in the face for a few seconds from how the other glared at him, but to his relief and surprise, Sehun simply nodded his head. “Make it quick,” he spoke in a strained voice.

“I overheard Jaemin telling a guard not to give Mihyun any food until she confesses that she’s been plotting to act against the Noye House,” Jongin explained in a hushed voice. “And the—”

“Where?” Sehun growled as darkness shaded over his face. “Where the hell is she?”

“I’m not telling you yet, Sehun,” Jongin replied firmly. His face snapped to the side, a pulsing pain running down the other side of his face from Sehun’s sudden punch.

“Sehun!” Chanyeol called out in protest, rushing forward to restrain the male from hitting Jongin once more.

“What if this was Kyungsoo, Jongin?! What if it was Kyungsoo in her place?!” Sehun roared, thrashing against Chanyeol’s arms.

“If it was Kyungsoo then I would lose control of myself!” Jongin shouted back with a strong glare. “If this was Kyungsoo then I wouldn’t care about reason or logic, and I’d do anything to save him and probably end up with both of us getting killed! If it was Kyungsoo… I would hope that you would get me to calm down before I do anything stupid.”

“So you calm down, Oh Sehun, because believe it or not I’m doing you a damn good favor you insolent ,” Jongin growled in a low voice.

The two of them stared at each other for a long period of time before Sehun finally backed down. He pulled away from Chanyeol’s arms and took a long, deep breath to calm himself. “Sorry,” Sehun muttered, shamefully training his gaze on the ground. He knew Jongin was right, and he was grateful that he at least was being level headed.

“Keep going, Jongin,” Baekhyun whispered in a voice hoarse from crying. “What are they doing to Mihyun?”

“I don’t know much of what they have been doing,” Jongin admitted as he ran his hand through his hair. “But I know what they plan to.”

There was a moment of pause, and each of the occupants in the cage leaned forward with anticipation.

Jongin’s eyes flashed, and the corner of his lip curved upward into a small smirk, “And I know exactly how we’re going to stop them.”

 

 

 

 

Mihyun stared up at the cracked ceiling, wondering how many days had passed since she was captured. She let out a soft sigh as she pressed her cracked lips against her cold arms, thinking about what the others must have been doing.

“Probably going crazy at this point,” she chuckled quietly to herself. Her stomach strained in protest at the action, and she let out another sigh. She hated being in this position, but there was truly nothing she could do. They hadn’t fed her for two days at the very least, only offering her a cup of water every few hours. She didn’t know it was possible to literally feel the strength slowly seep from one’s body, but now she did.

The bruises she had received from the beating a few days prior had begun to shift into a shade of yellow and green, but they still hurt all the same when she pressed on them. A little bit of her was actually happy that the others weren’t here to see her in such a state. She bit down on the inside of , thinking about how enraged Sehun would become once he was to come rescue her.

And how would he do that?

Rescue her, that is.

She didn’t know how he would, or when he would, but she still held onto the belief that he would. It was a bit irritating, to be quite honest, for her to accept the position of being a damsel in distress, but at that point she couldn’t care less.

Mihyun just wanted to go home. She wanted to go home to the small cozy house they had just moved into, and snuggle on the bed with Sehun and read stories with Luhan and joke around with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. She wanted to work with Jaesuk and argue with Jongin and tease Minseok and –

Her thoughts were suddenly jerked away from her as a large explosion shook the room. Her eyes widened in alarm, and she registered the sounds of shouting guards and pounding footsteps outside the door of her jail. The dust that caked the walls fell down like rain, and she held in her breath to prevent herself from inhaling the dirt.

What the hell was causing the ruckus? Mihyun froze in realization, and her hand slowly dropped to her side. They wouldn’t.

She stared at the door in horrifying anticipation, silently pleading to the gods that what she assumed was happening wasn’t actually happening. They weren’t ready for it, none of them were ready for it, and she’d be damned if they risked everything just to save her.

A loud thud banged against the door, and she took a step back as a safety measure.

“Mihyun?! Mihyun are you in there?!”

Mihyun recognized that voice all too well, and her insides began to quiver in fear. She dropped to her feet and wrapped her arms around her knees, hoping, pleading that this was all just a dream.

The door to her room burst open and she squeezed her eyes shut. She felt a pair of warm arms wrap tightly around her, and the familiar scent of Sehun wafted around her like a protective shield. “Mihyun, you’re here,” Sehun whispered as he squeezed her as tightly as he could, as if she would disappear from his sight once more if he didn’t.

“Se… Sehun,” Mihyun whimpered in response as she slowly responded to the hug, clenching handfuls of the back of Sehun’s shirt into her small fists.

"You're here, you're here," Sehun breathed in relief as he pressed kisses all over Mihyun's face. His hands patted her body to see if she had any serious wounds, and he let out another breath of relief when none were found."You're here and you're okay. I was so worried, I thought... I thought that you might have... but you're okay."

"Y-Yeah," Mihyun chuckled as she wrapped her arms around Sehun's neck to pull him in for another hug. It was only now that she realized how much she had really missed him, and how relieved she was to see him once more. "I'm okay, I'm okay."

A hard tremor shook the room, and Mihyun pulled back into reality.

“You shouldn’t have come,” Mihyun whispered as she slowly pulled away from Sehun.

“What are you talking about?” Sehun demanded as he stared into the girl’s tired and weary eyes. He felt a sudden anger spread through his chest as his fingers brush against the girl’s fading bruises. “I’m going to get you out of here, okay? It’s going crazy out there so we have to be quick.”

“Sehun, you shouldn’t have done this. We’re not ready for this, Sehun, so many people are going to die,” Mihyun’s voice shook as she held onto his shirt. “It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter