Vicissitude

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

vicissitude [və-ˈsi-sə-ˌtüd, vī-, -ˌtyüd] n. - a change of circumstances or fortune, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant.

 

 

Sehun woke up with a smile on his face, his ears still ringing with the soft words Mihyun had whispered to him the night before.

I really, really, like you too.

He glanced down at the small figure that was curled next to him, and shifted his body to the side so he could get a better look at the girl. The dim light that fell through the window signaled that the sun was only beginning to rise, so Sehun would have a good hour or two to enjoy the time before Mihyun was to wake up.

Sehun paused momentarily, mentally debating as to whether watching the girl sleep would be socially acceptable or not. He shrugged it off – he never really like society to begin with. Slowly, he slid his arm from underneath Mihyun’s head to prop up his own. In all honesty, his entire arm had gone numb after having the weight press against it the entire night, but he would never admit it.

He frowned at the stray strand of hair that brushed against Mihyun's nose, and contemplated as to whether or not he should brush it aside.

“Sehun, I’m not sure how I feel about you just watching me while I’m sleeping,” Mihyun’s voice chimed. Sehun’s arm slid from underneath him in shock, and his face hit the covers with a quiet “umpf!” He quickly picked his head back up and glanced at the girl with alarm. “Are you awake?”

“No, I’m sleep talking,” Mihyun responded, which would have been believable to some extent seeing as how her eyes had remained closed the entire time.

“If you were awake you should have said something earlier,” Sehun muttered under his breath with embarrassment, his face flaming at the idea of being caught.

One of Mihyun’s eyes finally peeked open, and she let out a fluttering laugh, “That wouldn’t have been as fun, now would it?”

“Because watching me embarrass myself is your idea of fun,” Sehun rolled his eyes.

“Your words, not mine,” Mihyun smiled as she reached over to pat the boy on the head. She lifted her arms up above her head, stretching her whole body like a cat before relaxing. “What are you doing up so early?”

“Dunno,” Sehun murmured; he’d rather die than admit that he was going to stay up to watch her. “Just not sleepy anymore.”

“Sure,” Mihyun smiled knowingly. She tossed him a side glance. “That’s why.”

The blush in Sehun’s cheeks flamed hot, and stretched all the way to the tips of his ears. “Just go back to sleep!” he grumbled as he flopped back into bed, making sure to turn the opposite direction. He flushed even darker when her tinkling laughter entered his ears, and he nudged her gently with his elbow, “Stop teasing.”

“I’m not teasing,” Mihyun responded matter of factly. “I think it’s cute.”

Sehun let out a loud snort as he turned back around to face her. He slipped one arm underneath his head, and with the other reached over to flick her against the forehead. “You’re such a liar.”

“And you’re such a creep,” she responded without skipping a beat.

“Mihyun!” Sehun let out a loud whine of protest.

“Okay! Okay,” Mihyun laughed as she reached over to cup his face with both of her hands. She brought forward her thumbs and pinched the boy’s cheeks apart, laughing when he let out a strangled sound of protest. She let go of his skin and gently patted the boy’s cheeks, “Cute.”

“I’ll show you cute,” Sehun growled as he scrambled on top of her to press her against the bed. His hands immediately went to her sides, his fingers skittering softly against her skin to make her burst out in laughter.

“Stop! Stop it!” Mihyun laughed as she tried to pull awake from his threatening hands. “Stop tickling me!”

“Why? Isn’t it cute?” Sehun called out mockingly, digging his fingers even deeper into her skin.

“Okay! O-Okay I get it!” Mihyun giggled as his hands finally came to a stop. “I don’t like being tickled,” she whined in protest, reaching up to squeeze the boy’s nose.

“Exactly why I like doing it,” Sehun responded, his voice coming out in a nasally tone.

“Ew, you sound gross,” Mihyun scrunched her face, immediately letting go of the other’s nose to allow him to speak normally.

Sehun laughed loudly, cutting off sharply when Mihyun pressed an abrupt kiss to the corner of his mouth. He stared down at the girl in surprise, pressing the tips of his fingers to the area, “What was that for?”

“Just cause,” Mihyun smiled slyly.

Sehun rolled his eyes, “If you’re going to do it, do it right!”

Sehun pecked her lips before she had the chance to respond, shyly glancing away immediately after. “L-like that.”

Mihyun arched an eyebrow, “If you’re going to teach me, then you should teach me properly.”

Sehun’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but his thoughts were immediately cut off once Mihyun pressed her lips against his. Her small arms wrapped tightly around his neck, completely eliminating any gap of space between them. Sehun molded his lips against hers, a small, quiet voice in the back of his head pleading to not have any unnecessary excitement in his nether regions that would have ruined the moment.

A loud clatter snapped the two apart, and each of their heads turned to the door way. Sehun’s eyes widened once he saw Luhan standing there with a gaping mouth, his white board that was lying against the ground was the obvious source of noise. Sehun turned back to look at Mihyun who was equally as mortified, and immediately jumped away to increase the proximity between the two.

“I hope Luhan didn’t just see what I think he was seeing,” Jaesuk let out a little growl as he stepped in behind him. He stared at how shocked Luhan appeared, and narrowed his eyes at the guilty Sehun. “You little weasel.”

“T-there’s nothing wrong with kissing the girl that I love!” Sehun protested, flinching against the dark look Jaesuk was shooting his way.

“Kis-kissing?!” Jaesuk shrieked, his hand flying to his chest in absolute mortification. “How dare yo- come here!”

“Y-Yah!” Sehun exclaimed, jumping away from Jaesuk’s outstretched arms and onto the other side of the bed. He shot past him in lightning speed, almost knocking Luhan over when he flew out of the bedroom. “I’ll go get ready to leave first!”

“That little piece of –” Jaesuk cut himself off, glancing back at Mihyun who had grabbed a handful of his shirt.

“Jaesuk,” Mihyun said slowly, gauging his reaction to see if he was still upset with her.

Luhan immediately realized the situation and quietly slipped away to allow the two a moment of privacy.

“I’m sorry, Agashi,” Jaesuk sighed as he kneeled down at the side of her bed. “I’m sorry for how I acted yesterday, it was completely inappropriate.”

“Don’t apologize, Jaesuk,” Mihyun shook her head. “You had every right to be angry. This is a lot of responsibility I pressed on to you with no forewarning.”

“No, it wasn’t that,” Jaesuk explained. He stared down at the ground for a few seconds and took a deep breath. “I just… I just didn’t like the idea of you dying, that’s all. I wasn’t upset at you; I was upset with the circumstance. I was upset at the fact that there was even a possibility that you could die. I took that out on you, and I apologize.”

“You shouldn’t be apologetic, Jaesuk,” Mihyun shook her head. “If anybody should, it should be me. I’m the one who brought this onto myself, after all.”

Jaesuk cracked a small smile. “Agashi, just… just promise me that you’ll try.”

“Try what?”

“Try not to die?” Jaesuk offered.

Mihyun laughed, “Because I wouldn’t have tried otherwise, Jaesuk.”

Jaesuk let out a small smile as he reached over to dishevel the girl’s hair. “You’re the only family I have, Agashi. I mean sure we’re not blood related, but we might as well be. You’re like my mother, my elder sister, and my dongsaeng all mixed into one. I’m really, really glad that you found me in the ally that day 10 years ago.”

“You’re not the only one,” Mihyun smiled at the recollection of the memory. “I think I’ve gained more out of this relationship than you did.”

Jaesuk shook his head and chuckled, “Just try to be safe, okay? And stay out of as much trouble as you can?”

Mihyun rolled her eyes and raised an eyebrow, “You act like I’m the one who goes looking for trouble, Jaesuk. It should be the other way around; trouble is the one who always has a way of finding me.”

 

 

“We need you to come with us.”

Mihyun’s whole body tensed as she slowly turned to look at the intruders in the cage. Her heart clen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter