Precarious

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

precarious [pri-ˈker-ē-əs] adj - characterized by a lack of security or stability that is threatened with danger.

 

 

“It’s just a small cut, it’s not like I’m going to die,” Sehun muttered under his breath, embarrassed by the attention he was receiving from Mihyun. He perched his chin on top of his fist that was resting upright against his knee, and stared at Mihyun who was focusing intently on wrapping a bandage around his injury.

“You say that yet you would huff childishly and sulk if I gave you no attention,” Mihyun responded matter of factly.

Sehun’s cheeks flushed a color of bright red, and he shot a dirty look at Luhan who was silently giggling beside them. “Why are you so happy, huh?” he grumbled as he picked up a stray cotton ball to throw in Luhan’s direction, innocently looking away when Mihyun shot him an exasperated look.

Luhan’s grin only spread even wider at the sound of Sehun’s unhappiness, and he patted him cheerfully on the back before holding up his white board. I’m going to find Jaesuk.

“Luhan and Jaesuk have been getting pretty close, haven’t they?” Mihyun mused quietly to herself, her eyes crinkling at the thought of unusual friendship.

“Yeah, that’s probably why Hyung’s been so much of a brat lately,” Sehun scoffed under his breath. He continued gazing at Mihyun who was completely unaware of the attention that was trained on her.

“All done!” Mihyun smiled proudly as she gently patted the fresh bandage. She glanced up to meet Sehun’s eyes just a split second before he darted them away.

“Like a child,” she commented, breaking out into a smile when Sehun shot her a dirty look.

“I wouldn’t talk if I were you, you’re the one who actually is a child,” Sehun scoffed.

Mihyun pursed her lips and nudged Sehun’s ribs with her elbow, “Wouldn’t that make you a e? You’re in love with this child, aren’t you?”

Sehun opened his mouth to retort, but ended up closing it when he couldn’t come up with anything clever enough to rebut with. He held up his hands in defeat and chuckled, “Alright, you win.”

Mihyun gleamed up at him, and he resisted the urge to reach down and pinch the younger’s cheeks. In exchange, he simply brushed away a stray strand of hair, gently tucking it behind Mihyun’s ear. “You’ve changed a lot.”

A brief, peaceful silence settled between them as they both thought over Sehun’s words.

“We’ve both changed,” Mihyun smiled lightly, Sehun nodding alongside her in agreement. “It felt like just yesterday that you treated me as if I was the dirt beneath your shoes.”

Sehun scrunched his face at the memory, and ran his fingers through Mihyun’s hair as a late apology for his rude behavior.

“And it was like just yesterday that you always had a stoic expression on your face and spoke like you had a stick up your ,” Sehun smiled as he patted Mihyun’s hair. He easily avoided the fist that went flinging in his direction, and he wrapped his fingers around her outstretched wrist to pull her into a hug.

“I’m glad we changed,” Sehun breathed into her hair, smiling when he felt her nod her head.

“And it was like just yesterday that you guys would keep to yourselves and talk from a distance,” Jaesuk pitched in as he popped up besides them to pull them apart. “I miss those days.”

“Hyung, has anybody ever told you that you’re really annoying?” Sehun glared darkly as he smacked Jaesuk’s arm away from his own. He reached over and pulled his hand off of Mihyun as well, just for good measure.

“No,” Jaesuk responded without skipping a beat. “Come on Agashi, Luhan is waiting for you to come out so I can drop you off at the Noye house.”

Mihyun nodded her head as she walked towards the door with a thoughtful expression on her face, “I haven’t seen them yet after the browsing event yesterday. I wonder how they are faring now.”

 

 

“I’m not sure what you were expecting,” Sehun started slowly with a gaping mouth, “but I don’t think this was it.”

“Mihyun! Sehun! Luhan!” Baekhyun cried out happily as he ran towards them! He dodged all the bodies energetically busling about, and he reached them with a wide smile stretched across his cheek.

“What the hell happened here?” Sehun asked with narrowed eyebrows. He abruptly pulled Mihyun aside to avoid the Noye that was about to have gone running into her, and stared at the amount of Noyes swarming in and out of the cage he had spent several years growing up in. “Why are so many Noyes gathered here?”

“They’re here to help,” Baekhyun laughed as held up his arms to gesture to the new aid. “Word about our… little operation spread, and it looks like Noyes are starting to get curious.” He reached forward and clasped Mihyun’s hands into his own as he gazed into her eyes, his own crinkling into small crescents, “You’ve restored hope.”

Mihyun stood there in complete silence for a few seconds as she processed the words Baekhyun had just informed her. The corners of her lips lifted into a small smile, and she reached forward to ruffle the front of Baekhyun’s already messy hair, “No, you all did.”

Before Baekhyun could even respond, she clapped her hands loudly together and announced, “There are much too many people here; it will catch the suspicion of the guards. Please send only one member from each cage housing, and they will relay all the information back to you all.”

Although her words weren’t spoken at such an audible tone, they were immediately obeyed by the surrounding Noyes. The crowd quickly diminished until only a good 15 people were left, all staring at Mihyun eagerly to find out what they were to do next.

While Mihyun speaks to them, the rest of the boys look on with proud smiles stretched across their faces.

“This might actually work after all, won’t it?” Chanyeol murmured with bright eyes as he gently squeezed Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Of course it’s going to!” Baekhyun nodded confidently. “Look at how much the support has risen!”

“Too much, if you ask me,” Youngjae scoffed with narrowed eyes. He gestured to the small crowd in front of Mihyun, “With this many people, people are bound to talk, you know. Just let one little loose mouth go, and the whole staff of guards will find out about this little plan.”

“I guess we’ll just have to keep this loose mouth under control, won’t we?” Jongin snarled as he stepped towards him with a dark glare and clenched fists.

Youngjae held up his hands and chuckled bitterly, “Don’t worry about me. I may be a lot of things but I’m no betrayer.”

“I have my doubts,” Jongin growled in return, easing off when Baekhyun shot him a warning look.

“Don’t fight, you guys,” Baekhyun piped up as he gazed at Mihyun who was intently talking to the crowd that surrounded her. “From the looks of it, I think we have a pretty good chance of pulling this thing off.”

 

 

“Please Jongdae, please!” Mihyun pleaded as she trailed after him in the hallways, ignoring the looks of surprise people were shooting her way. Previously it had been Jongdae chasing after the tail of the ice queen with his idiot friends trailing behind, but not it seemed as though the situation was switched.

“No! I said no and I mean no!” Jongdae exclaimed in return, biting down on his bottom lip as his eyes shot in all directions, hoping nobody was eavesdropping on their conversation. He dropped his voice to an almost inaudible tone and hissed, “You aren’t going to change my mind, so just drop it.”

“Jongdae, please. You’re one of the only few people I can trust

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter