Preparation

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Preparation [ˌpre-pə-ˈrā-shən\] n. - A preliminary measure that serves to make ready for an event or occasion.

 

A week had passed, and news of the revolt quickly spread like fire among the other Noyes. Some began to see the lights of hopes in their lives again while many disregarded the news with no such optimism. Freedom? Such a word no longer existed in their vocabularies.

Despite the sudden excitement among the Noyes, the guards and higher officials were completely oblivious to the quiet scheming that was occurring through the metal halls.

Mihyun was far beyond busy, and no longer had the freedom to spend her hours talking with the other Noyes; Sehun and the others would be lucky to even get 10 minutes of the girl’s time. Nevertheless, the Noyes didn’t have too much time to spend being upset, for they too were playing their own roles in the rebellion. The seed had been planted among the Noyes, and slowly, the envisions of hope and freedom began to stem from their minds.

“How are we even going to do this?” Jongin whispered as he stared at the faces of his fellow Noyes. There was an edge of excitement to his voice, but it was practically hidden amidst the large amount of nervousness. “There are so many things that we need – how can we get it all?”

“You don’t have to worry about that,” Mihyun assured the other. “Just work on spreading the word to the other Noyes around here – mind who you tell – and I’ll pull everything else together. I know people who can get us the things that we need.”

“But I thought you don’t have friends?” Baekhyun asked with a cocked head. He quickly realized the carelessness of his words and clarified, "I mean, not that you're not desirable or anything."

“I don’t have friends,” Mihyun stated slowly, taking no offense to the other's words. There was a mischievous glint in her eyes and her lips slipped into a slight smirk, “But that doesn’t mean I don’t have connections.”

 

 

“You do know how risky this is, Mihyun?” Mihyun’s upperclassman, Yixing, whispered to the girl as they sat together in his office. Yixing was 5 years older than Mihyun, and the two had become acquaintances after being cared for by the same Nanny when they were younger. His father and Mihyun’s used to be good friends, but after his family saw a sudden bankruptcy, Chando had broken all ties with his old friend of 15 years.

Mihyun and Yixing certainly weren’t friends, but she knew they had the same ideals in life. In order to survive after bankruptcy, Yixing’s younger brother had been sold as a Noye and died three years later from being physically abused by the master who had purchased him. When the murderer only had to pay a 500,000 won fee for his action, Yixing swore that he would become a lawyer to protect the innocent lives as his last tribute to his dongsaeng.

“I know,” Mihyun replied calmly. She held a strong gaze on Yixing, and he felt as if he was being pierced by the sharp orbs. “You know it’s risky as well, but you’re still going to help me.”

Yixing raised an eyebrow at the girl’s confidence, and leaned back in his leather chair with crossed arms. “How are you so sure, Mihyun?”

“Isn’t that what Zitao would have wanted?” Mihyun responded curtly.

Yixing’s jaw tensed at the sound of his deceased brother’s name, and took a deep, shaky breath. “What do you need me to do?”

The corners of Mihyun’s lips curved upwards into a smile, and she beamed at the man in front of her. “Just some legal work. I want you to look into the Noye rebellion that happened in Gwangju. Get in touch with some lawyers there, and investigate what measures are being taken. You don’t have to be involved in any dirty work, Yixing, I just need enough information to be assured that this rebellion won’t go to waste after it has taken place.”

Yixing nodded his head in agreement seeing as how the demands of the girl weren’t all too ridiculous. He knew of a couple of friends who were actually directly involved with the Noye rebellion, so his role wouldn’t be too hard to complete.

“Thank you, Yixing, also for helping Kris find his family. I’m really sorry that I hadn’t come to greet you earlier for doing that for me, ” Mihyun stated quietly with a sincere expression on her face.

Yixing gave her a smile of reassurance and shook his head, “It was my pleasure, Mihyun. You know I’m always willing to help. Please tell Kris that I still haven’t found anything out yet, but I won’t give up any time soon.”

She got up from her seat and gave him a small bow goodbye before heading to the door. She was just about to turn the knob until Yixing’s voice interrupted her. “Mihyun?”

“You do know what will happen if you get caught, don’t you?” Yixing asked quietly, his voice swimming with insecurity.

Mihyun’s grip on the doorknob tightened, and she turned to him with a tense smile pressed against her lips. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody that you were involved.”

Yixing sighed and massaged his temples once the girl closed the door to his office behind her with a soft click. “Idiot,” he muttered under his breath as he gazed at the framed photo of him and Zitao that always rested on his desk.

Yixing picked up the frame, and gently caressed the glass covered face of his younger sibling with his thumb. “I’ll do this for you, Zitao.”

 

 

“Chanyeol and Baekhyun wanted me to tell you that they miss you,” Kris informed the girl as soon as she stepped into her bedroom. He eyed her fatigued figure up and down and climbed off the bed to steady the swaying girl. “You look terrible.”

“I’m fine,” Mihyun yawned as she gently pushed away his helping hand. She trudged over to her closet and pulled out a pair of pajamas to change into. She was about to make her way into the bathroom, but Kris told her to just change in the bedroom.

“I’m afraid you won’t even make it in there,” Kris murmured under his breath as he went to the bathroom to give her privacy. Kris sighed as he washed his hands in the large sink, and stared at himself in the mirror. He had been staying with Mihyun for 5 days now, and he had to admit that he was enjoying his life as it was. He recalled the headlines from the newspaper Jaesuk had given him earlier that day, and heaved a sigh.

“Gwangju’s Noye rebellion, a legal success,” Kris murmured the title under his breath. According to the article, he was now a free man, which meant that he no longer had a reason to hide. His stay was long overdue, and even Jaesuk had been hinting about his departure. He dried his hands on a towel, and ran his fingers through his overgrown hair. He would have to leave the girl soon.

“I’ve finished, Kris, you can come back,” Mihyun’s voice seeped under the crack of the door and into the bathroom.

Kris raised his eyebrow at the sight of the girl’s back as she was stationed at her desk, a large book already cracked open in front of her. “What are you doing?”

“Reading,” Mihyun answered as she pushed up the frame of her reading glasses. “I can use the desk lamp, so you can turn off the lights if you’d like to get to sleep.”

“Why are you reading if you’re tired?” Kris asked as he walked over to the girl with a frown. Did she not understand that even she had limits?

“I have to finish this book to write up a proposal before my meeting tomorrow,” Mihyun responded as she flipped to the next page, her eyes scanning the text at nearly 200 words per minute.

Kris eyed the remainder of the book that the girl still needed to get through – there were at least over a thousand pages. “For somebody who’s highly intelligent, you’re not that smart, are you?”

“Hm?” Mihyun asked as she flipped to another page.

Kris sighed as he pulled the girl away from her studies, closing the fat book before she could pull back. “You need to get to sleep, Mihyun. How long have you slept during the past few days? 5, or maybe 6 hours total?”

Mihyun patted the top of Kris’s head affectionately and gave him a soft smile. “Thank you for your concern,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter