Intrepid

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Intrepid [in-ˈtre-pəd] adj. - characterized by resolute fearlessness, fortitude, and endurance

 

“The time has finally come, and I’m sorry to say it, but Sehun and Luhan are going to have to come back with me in a few days. What this means is that we probably all won’t be seeing each other nearly as often any longer.”

“We don’t have a lot of time left together, but we should make the most out of what we have left, right?”

“I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that Sehun and Luhan are coming home with me soon and I will probably never see the rest of you ever again, but the good news is that I’ve brought presents!”

Mihyun groaned loudly to herself as she walked down her school’s hallway. Jinsuk had notified her that he was waiting at the front gates, ready to drive her over to the Noye house; it would soon be time for the moment she had been dreading for nearly the entire day. After a few days of acting as if nothing was wrong, the guilt had practically consumed her, and she knew that she couldn’t postpone her announcement any longer.

The problem was that she didn’t know what to say. Rather than attending to her work, she spent all of her hours pondering the different phrases she could deliver to the Noyes – none of which sounded even the slightest bit appropriate.

“What to do? What to do?” Mihyun murmured under her breath in distress. She felt even more frantic at the fact that she wasn’t able to come up with a solution as easily as she normally did. Was she losing her touch? Her cleverness?

“Calm down,” Mihyun scolded herself as gently tapped her own forehead.  She caught a glimpse of Jongdae out of the corner of her eye and stopped mid-step, crouching over to pretend to tie her shoes while she secretly observed the other. After the talk he had with Sehun a few days back, she hoped that she could detect an alteration of his character – even the slightest bit would be satisfying.

To her uttermost disappointed, it seemed like Jongdae and the other boys he called his friends were deciding on which unlucky soul would be the victim of their cruel treatments.

“How about the prick Junmyeon? I didn’t get to beat him to my heart’s content since that dumb had her body guard come,” one of them snickered.

Jongdae’s eyes widened at the suggestion and he opened his mouth to protest, but quickly shut it right away, afraid of the taunts and jeers he would receive in return.

Mihyun sighed as she pushed herself off the ground, maybe some people were just in too deep to be fixed.

“Hey guys, instead of beating somebody up, why don’t we go out and eat? My muscles are aching from the laps Coach Jo made us run, and I could really enjoy some good ramen. What do you guys say? My treat?” Jongdae spoke up finally, his eyes nervously darting around to observe the others’ reactions.

Mihyun froze mid step as she processed the other’s words. Her lips curved into a small smile of satisfaction, and she glanced over her shoulder to get a look at Jongdae’s face.

He was staring at them all with a hopeful expression, his hands curled into tight shaking fists at his sides.

“Your treat? Hell yeah I’m in!” his friends rooted in delight, much to both Jongdae and Mihyun’s relief.

A wide, genuine smile spread across Jongdae’s face as he took a breath of relief. He raised his head and widened his eyes when he caught eye contact with Mihyun. The girl gave him a small wave and a bright smile, and he returned the action with the shy curve of his own lips.

Mihyun turned back around and continued her stroll out of the school. Jongdae would be alright. Maybe there wasn’t anything in the world that wasn’t capable of being fixed. Maybe everything had a solution.

Her smile dropped when she stared at Jaesuk who was patiently waiting for her in front of the familiar car.

Well, not everything.

 

~~

 

“Luhan hyung, help me!” Sehun called out as he attempted to tug his shirt over his head. For some unexplainable reason, the head hole of Sehun’s shirt had managed to shrink over night, and the Noye was having quite a bit of trouble tugging it over his head. “Hyung! It’s stuck!”

He heard a muffled sigh through the fabric of his t-shirt. “Hyung! Don’t just sigh at me, come help,” Sehun exclaimed with exasperation as he tugged viciously at his shirt. He knew Mihyun was going to be coming any minute, and he didn’t want to be caught in such an embarrassing situation. “Hurry!”

He could practically feel the way Luhan rolled his eyes before going to help his dongsaeng. Luhan fastened both hands to the hem of Sehun’s shirt and gave a rough tug.

“Hyung, gently!” Sehun protested as he winced in pain. “That hurts!”

Luhan let out an impatient huff and tried to gently slide the stiff fabric over Sehun’s head.

“Hurry up hyung! You’re taking forever!” Sehun exclaimed.

Luhan let out a loud growl and stuffed each of his fists with a handful of the fabric before yanking the shirt off with all of his strength. He managed to free Sehun’s head from the tight ring of cloth, but the force caused him to topple backwards with Sehun following closely after him.

“Thanks hyung,” Sehun grinned sheepishly as he rubbed his forehead, happy to be free from the suffocating fabric. He froze once the sound of soft footsteps registered in his head, however, and slowly turned his head to the door of the cage once they came to a stop.

Mihyun blinked as she stared at the shirtless Sehun and Luhan who were currently positioned in an uncompromising situation. Was it possible that she had underestimated their relationship all this time?

With the of her head, Mihyun bluntly asked, “Are you guys in a relationship?”

Luhan’s face immediately turned a bright red, and Sehun’s jaw dropped incredulously at the girl’s words.

“I don’t mind it if you are,” Mihyun clarified, worried that she might have offended the two. “If that is the case I’m sorry for imposing on your time alone so often, I should have known better. I’ll take my leave now and go find the others. Please enjoy your time together.”

Luhan and Sehun watched speechlessly as Mihyun gave them a small bow before turning around to leave the cages. After a few minutes passed, Sehun finally stammered, “H-Hyung, does she…?”

Luhan just sighed and patted his dongsaeng’s head pitifully. Now it would be even harder for the girl to realize Sehun’s feelings.

“Yah! Why did Mihyun just come to me asking if you guys are engaged in a relationship?!” Chanyeol howled with laughter as he strolled into the cage with Baekhyun at his side.

Sehun let out another loud groan and face palmed himself at the news.

“Yeah, is there something you guys aren’t informing us of?” Baekhyun piped up as he plopped onto his blanket. “I was always suspicious of how close you two were.” He let out another howl of laughter when Sehun released a low growl.

“Baekhyun! Chanyeol! I told you not to interrupt!” Mihyun exclaimed as she shot into the cage, flustered. She tugged at Chanyeol’s upper arm in an attempt to drag him out. “Come on, let’s go!”

Sehun let out a growl and then an even louder one when Chanyeol burst out into another fit of laughter. He stomped over to Mihyun’s side and tugged her away from the howling other. “Listen here!” Sehun growled as he stared straight into her eyes. “Luhan and I are not in a relationship, you hear me? What you saw was a misunderstanding!”

“It’s fine, Sehun,” Mihyun smiled gently as she reached upwards to pat the front of the boy’s head. “I don’t mind if the two of you are in a relationship, really, I don’t.”

Sehun snarled in exasperation, and pushed Mihyun backwards until her back gently hit the hard wall. Both of his hands shot out to hit the wall at each side of her head, and he leaned his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter