Anamnesis

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anamnesis [a-ˌnam-ˈnē-səs] n. - the power of retaining and recalling past experience

 

“Let’s play a game,” Baekhyun suggested rather suddenly.

Cocked heads turned to stare at Baekhyun with curiosity and interest.

“What kind of game?” Jongin asked as he stretched his long legs across Kyungsoo’s lap in an attempt to bother him. After being introduced to the ‘angel’, the two Noyes found themselves spending more time in Sehun’s cage than they did their own.

“I don’t know,” Baekhyun responded with a shrug. All interest was then lost, and everybody returned to their own little activities. Baekhyun pouted at the sudden loss of attention, and he quickly pulled Mihyun to his side, jerking her away from her tutoring of Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo had requested that Mihyun aid him in his speech the second she had walked into the cages that morning. No longer did he want to speak with that horrible stutter, even if Mihyun had referred to it as cute. Kyungsoo pouted when his teacher was pulled away from him, but made no effort to protest. Instead, he smacked Kai’s legs away from his lap to relieve his annoyance, and smiled victoriously when the other let out a cry of protest.

“Give us a game to play, Mihyun,” Baekhyun ordered as he stared at the girl with gleaming eyes.

Mihyun cocked her head and slipped her arm out of Baekhyun’s much too tight grip, “What game?”

“That’s what I’m asking you! You’ve been out in the real world for your entire life, you should at least know what kind of games there are, right? Tell us, I want to be up to date with the things going outside of these walls,” Baekhyun stated, his head bobbing in excitement.

Despite the eager tone that was used to say his words, Mihyun couldn’t help but feel sympathy for the others. When would they be able to see the world without the constraints of being a Noye? She knew the answer to her own question the second it passed through her head. They never would.

“I…” Mihyun began to say uneasily as she glanced at the eager faces staring back at her. “I don’t know any games. I never played any.”

Baekhyun’s face immediately fell at Mihyun’s confession. “But… but!”

“A-Ah! There is one game I know. I used to play it with my younger cousins,” Mihyun stated quickly, not being able to bear the look of disappointment on Baekhyun’s face.

Baekhyun’s face resumed its previous shine and his eyes curved into tiny crescents. “Tell us about it!”

“It’s… It’s not a game that everybody can play,” Mihyun explained slowly. “But you guys can play it because you have me.”

Chanyeol cocked his head at the girl’s vague explanation. “What do you mean?”

Mihyun gave him a small smile before she climbed to her feet. She patted the dust off of her skirt and walked to the front of the room. Her eyes traveled from corner to corner of the cage for 10 seconds before she her heels. “I want you to change any aspect of the room.”

“What?” Jongin questioned Mihyun’s back, not understanding the point of the game. “Why?”

“Just do as I say,” Mihyun responded curtly. “Change something in the room. Anything you’d like.”

Chanyeol scratched his head and wondered how what they were doing was a game, but he got up to do as she ordered nonetheless. He picked up a bottle of water that had been tucked under the table from Mihyun’s earlier visit, and moved it to another corner of the room.

“I’ve done it,” Chanyeol announced as he sat back down next to Baekhyun.

Mihyun then turned around, and her eyes scanned the room to look for the difference. “You’ve moved the water bottle.”

“That’s what you call a game?” Sehun stared without amusement. “That wasn’t even impressive.”

A knowing smile slipped onto Mihyun’s face. “You didn’t let me continue, Sehun. Baekhyun is now leaning on his left arm when he had been leaning on his right. Kyungsoo’s pencil is now 3 inches away from where it previously was, my assumption is that Chanyeol accidently kicked it with his foot when he got up. I’m guessing that Luhan noticed the smudge of dirt that was on his hand because he’s wiped it away, and Baekhyun, the bug that had been next to Chanyeol’s hand earlier is now crawling up your leg.”

Jaws dropped in amazement – Baekhyun’s coming a little late seeing as how he had first jerked to get rid of the bug.

“H-H-How d-di-did y-you d-do th-tha-that?” Kyungsoo asked in amazement.

“I have a photographic memory,” Mihyun replied as she sat back down in her spot next to Kyungsoo.

Sehun stared at the girl in amazement. How did she manage to acquire so many talents?  How could she possess flawless looks, a charming personality, and intelligence to match? Sehun was in complete awe in how the girl could contain so many abilities in such a petite body frame. Sehun immediately snapped out of his thoughts and scowled in realization. What was he thinking? This girl wasn’t perfect – far from it, and he was foolish to almost fall into her trap once again.

“Do it again, do it again!” Chanyeol cheered happily as he clapped his hands together like a child. “I’m going to make the changes even harder for you this time.”

Mihyun let out a small smile at the boy’s eagerness, and climbed back to her feet to satisfy his cheers. Her talented memory was one of the best qualities she saw within herself, and was always glad to put it to use for others. Her eye for beautiful people was a side effect of her impeccable memory. After the large numbers of people Mihyun had been exposed to during her life time, she knew quite a lot about human kind. Mihyun was capable of labeling every lip bite, every eyebrow raise, every nose twitch, every facial movement or expression that could ever cross one’s face with a different emotion or thought, and it was all due to her photographic memory. People, she had realized much long ago, were more similar than they would expect.

Their game was interrupted, however, when a Noye came to announced that Sehun, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Jongin would have to go pick up the week’s supply of meals from the vans out front.

Chanyeol pouted, but quickly climbed to his feet. “We’re going to keep playing once we get back, okay Mihyun?”

Mihyun’s nod was enough to satisfy Chanyeol, and he quickly made his way out of the cage with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Jongin behind him.

Sehun was uneasy with the idea of leaving his hyung with no other companion except for Mihyun. Although he did admit that he liked the girl the tiniest bit, he still wasn’t so absolute in trusting her with his fragile hyung. Nevertheless, if there was anybody he was to leave his Hyung with, she would immediately be his first choice.

“I’ll be back soon,” Sehun whispered into his hyung’s ear as he climbed to his feet. He uncurled Luhan’s fingers that had attached themselves to the sleeve of his shirt, and gave him a smile of reassurance before he followed the others.

“The two of you care about each other quite a lot,” Mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter