Chapter 31: Time Lapse

Fated Promise

Myungsoo’s POV

It’s finally graduation. I finally get to be freed from this miserable school. It wasn’t miserable when Naeun was here but the burden of being first in the school was miserable. I remembered when I was second, people flocked over Naeun. They asked her questions and study sessions with her. Of course, Naeun would say she’s busy and leave without saying another word. I remember seeing her name disappear from the school ranking board and everyone else shifted everything up. I was first once again.

Since she was no longer part of the school and off to college, I’m sure she got her diploma or her father took her diploma. Anyways, the burden of being first was placed upon me once again. It’s been five years since I lost to Naeun but she was no longer here. The months after Naeun left were miserable. My father decided to move my wedding date with Sun Hee a few months after my high school graduation. He was crazy! He plans to get Sun Hee and I married before Naeun’s engagement. Then one day, the news had stated that Naeun’s engagement was canceled due to Naeun trying to help Son Electrics Company advance to the American world. My father stopped the wedding and told the press that it was going to be postponed until further notice. He was planning something but I don’t know what he was trying to plan.

The funny thing about this whole business mess wasn’t affecting the Lee Company. After Sungyeol and Naeun’s engagement canceled, the Lee Company was still working with both the Son Company and the Kim Corporation. Basically, it was only a competition between the Sons and the Kims. Sungyeol seemed to have lost interest in Naeun after she left. He was chasing another Apink member named Namjoo. I remember during Christmas, he was trying to be close with her but Namjoo only thought of him as a friend. Poor Sungyeol, he was yet again friend zoned. Oh right, I saw Naeun during Christmas too. Thanks to Chorong, I was able to be with Naeun for two weeks before she had to go back to America. Those were the good days until exams results came in during January. I got into Seoul University but I also secretly applied for NYU. I got into NYU too. Umma was happy for me. She told me to go to any school. My father was happy that I got into Seoul University like he and umma did. The problem was that I wasn’t going to that school. I wanted to follow Naeun. She was my competition, the only one who could beat me.

Anyways, right now, I’m at the graduation party that Kim Sunggyu and the rest of the student council had planned for us. Kim Sunggyu was sitting with me while we watched Hajong, Hoji, Dongmi, and Woorong dance. Sungyeol , in the other hand, was flirting with Namjoo who was sitting at the Apink table because Namjoo was too busy reading manga.

“So Myung, what college or university you’re going to?” asked Sunggyu.

“Me? I got into NYU in the states,” I said.

“You always seem to surprise me, Myung. Isn’t that the same university that Naeun is attending?”

“Yeah. . .”

“No wonder,” said Sunggyu as he gave a small chuckle.

“It’s sad hyung, I still think about her even though it’s been five months since she visited me.”

“If she was worried about you that time then she still will be in love you even though five months have passed.”

“You know that Sunggyu hyung, maybe she changed. Maybe she started to like someone there in her college. I just want to see her. I want to know she is okay. Also, Abeoji probably would let me go there since Naeun is there for business as well.”

“You know Myung, I’m sure she misses you as well but since Naeun has a stoic personality, she probably doesn’t want to show it.”

I gave Sunggyu one of my rare smiles and then went back to my cold self when Sungyeol sat next to me. He sighed and joined in our conversation of single men.

“What’s up with you?” I asked.

“Namjoo. She is too busy with her manga to pay attention to me. Plus, I learned that when her friends are off with our friends, she reads manga when she is alone,” said Sungyeol.

“Well, you are going to the same college as her so you guys can get closer then,” said Sunggyu.

“Yeah but I want to dance with her,” said Sungyeol.

“Then ask her, choding,” I said.

“Oh right, I didn’t ask her,” said Sungyeol as he ran off.

“Idiot. . .” I muttered and shook my head.

Then the party had finally come to an end. Sungyeol had a chance to dance with Namjoo while Sunggyu and I had sat and watch the couples. Hoya and Eunji were going to the same University but different departmental colleges. Woohyhun and Chorong are going their separate ways but the universities were close to each other so they both can visit each other. Dongwoo and Bomi were going to the same college as well as Sungyeol and Namjoo. Sunggyu is going abroad to the same University as the rumors said that Yookyung is attending. Apink waved goodbye to us and decided to spend their time with each other even though they were missing two people from their group of friends. Infinite decided to spend their last few hours with each other too and I was dragged into this. I ended up at Sungyeol’s house with my friends.

While at Sungyeol’s house, my friends pulled out soju and I looked at them with disbelief. They weren’t thinking and I don’t really drink unless I need to think about something else. We’ll probably just end up sleeping at Sungyeol’s house.

“Myung, why don’t you drink? I mean, we’re finally done with school. At least relax a bit, valedictorian,” said Dongwoo.

“Myung doesn’t drink unless he needs to get something off his mind,” said Sungyeol.

“My Chorong is going to be far away from me,” said Woohyun.

“We know Namu, now shut up,” said Sunggyu.

“Says the gramps that is forever alone,” said Hoya who was being sassy.

“Well, look who’s being sassy?” said Sungjong.

I watched Infinite bicker about nonsense and shook my head. They were all being sassy and annoying. I’m surprised that Sungyeol is the only sane one after drinking two bottles. He is being a choding but at least he is sane.

“So Myung, It seems that we’re going our separate ways. We’ve been best friend for years. I can’t believe we’re finally leaving each other,” said Sungyeol as he slouched at the couch.

“I know Sungyeol. It’s been years that we have been side by side with each other. I don’t want to go but at the same time I want to go. I want her and only her beside me,” I gave a sigh.

“I can’t believe you love her this much after she left you.”

“I know she loves me. She wouldn’t have come back that time if she didn’t love me.”

“Well that is during Christmas! What about now? Its already been five months since she contacted you. Does she still love you?” asked Sungyeol.

“She does. If she doesn’t then I’m willing to win her back.”

“Such determination. . .I haven’t seen this side of you since she first came into our school.”

We talked for so long and eventually all seven of us had drifted to sleep. Some fell asleep on the floor while the rest of us slept in the couches that surrounded the television.

 

Naeun’s POV

I’m finally done with exams! I can go back home. Well, I can’t go back home because my father is probably still looking for me and also Myungsoo. Yes, I don’t try to talk to him because of the time difference and he probably will persuade me to come back to Korea. I’ve been so focused with school that if I talk to Myungsoo, he will only distract me. I’ve distanced myself with my friends except Yookyung. She goes to a University in Massachusetts but she visits me during her breaks and we hang out together. We both decided to barely talk with Apink because we know the great time difference between each other.

I walked outside of the seminar hall and walked past Taemin and Kai. I don’t really talk to them but they are in my class. I wouldn’t say they are dumb but they keept asking me questions which bother me. I’m not good friends with them or their friends. Usually, I just run away from all of them. Kai has a group and they call themselves exo while Taemin is in another group. They call themselves SHINee. I don’t understand why though. I’m the loner like what my mother had told me. From rumors, girls told me that Taemin and Kai had a crush on me. Well, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did because they keep talking to me. I haven’t told anyone about my love life and I’m not willing to. People at NYU know me as Naeun the smart but stoic girl. Some girls try to befriend me just so they can get close with Taemin. Speaking of the guy, here he comes now.

“Hey, Naeun,” smiled Taemin.

“Hello, so how did your exam go?” I asked.

“It went well because you studied with me.” I could have left you but you offered food. . .

“Good, well I have to go,” I said and turned the opposite direction.

“Wait, do you want to get something? I will pay for it,” asked Taemin. Refuse Naeun! Refuse!

“Sure, as long as you pay for it,” I said. Gawd dammit Naeun, you should have refused!

“Alright, just don’t buy something expensive,” chuckled Taemin.

“Treat me it later, I have to meet up with someone,” I said.

“Alright, around 6pm? That’s not bad right? We can go back to the campus around 7pm,” said Taemin.

“Sure. . .I need to go now. Bye,” I said and turned around to walk the other direction.

“Way to go Taemin! You got to go with your sweetheart!” yelled one of his friends.

“Shut up! She’s not like that,” whined Taemin.

Huh? So they believe I’m Taemin’s sweetheart. . .I hope Myungsoo doesn’t come to this school because then I would be in trouble. Myungsoo. . .I miss him. How is he? Stop. I need to focus and meet up with Yookyung.

I walked around the city until I got to Grand Central Station. By the clocks, I saw Yookyung looking at her phone. I gave a smile and ran up to her.

“KYUNGGIE!” I yelled as I hugged her.

“NAEUN!” laughed Yookyung as she hugged me back.

“So how was your exams?” I asked.

“Hard. And yours?”

“Hard as well,” I said giving a sigh.

“Did you contact Apink?”

“No, I haven’t talked with theme except Chorong.”

“Well, I just checked Facebook and saw the pictures of graduation. See?”

“Can I have your phone?” I asked Yookyung.

Yookyung gave me her phone and looked through the photos. I smiled because my friends were all giving their big smiles and then I came across Infinite. I breezed through their photos and stopped at Myungsoo’s photo. He was standing at the podium and giving his speech. I forgot that he was the Valedictorian because I left high school early. He looked very handsome and I wished I could have seen him deliver his speech.

“Naeun?” asked Yookyung as she waved her hand over my face.

“Hmm?” I said while looking back at Yookyung.

“You’ve been staring at the photo of Myungsoo for the past three minutes now. . . .”

“Really? I’m sorry,” I said while giving her back her phone.

“It’s alright. I know you love him,” teased Yookyung.

“I do not! I was mesmerized by his handsome face and girls would be too. Chorong told me that Myungsoo is very handsome before she started dating Woohyun. She also told me to never tell Woohyun.”

“Yeah, I agree with you. He does have a handsome face. A lot of girls would have fallen for him. Anyways, who do you like then?”

“None. My school is filled with filthy rich people.”

“Says the girl who owns most of the stocks in her own company that is internationally popular. . .”

“Yeah, I’m also filthy rich but I don’t show it. There is a difference,” I laughed.

We left grand central but I heard someone calling my name. I turned around and saw it was Sun Hee. I haven’t seen her for a year and she looks pretty although I’m really not in the mood for her sass.

“Naeun! Wow, you’ve gotten more beautiful-”

“Cut to the chase. What do you want from me?” I asked.

“Myungsoo,” she said grimly.

“Great, you can have him. Oh wait, you’re already his fiancé.”

“No, not like that. I want you to go to him.”

“Why? I don’t even love him. Why should I go to someone who I don’t even love?”

“Liar! I heard you went to him during Christmas. I heard that you spent a week with him until you needed to go back to the states.”

“So what if I did go back to Korea for him? That was five months ago. Some people can change their feelings like me. I don’t love him anymore.”

“I don’t want to be his fiancé anymore! I want you to his fiancé! I want JB! I want him so much. He’s lonely.”

“Then break the engagement. My father and I have nothing to do with this engagement. It’s all about his and your families so find a way by yourself.”

“I want you to negotiate with my father. We want to be part of your company. Please, Naeun. My family is breaking with the Kims because their company right now is in a crisis.”

“What do you mean?” I asked when I looked at her.

“His father. . .he has mentally gone insane. . .There is a possibility that Kim Corporation will fall and the Son Company will rise to the top both nationally and internationally.”

“Just like that. . .you want me to negotiate with your father just because you switched sides? This is why I hate the business world. The business world is filled with greed and only wants more money. Well, I will tell you something Sun Hee, I refuse. My father will probably refuse too even though I have no contact with him.”

“But-”

I left without saying another word. She just gave me a headache and now I feel like crying because of Myungsoo and his family. I didn’t want my family to win this way. I need to talk to Myungsoo but I deleted his number and decided to get a new phone when I first came to America.

We walked back to my apartment and I placed Yookyung’s thing in the guest room. While I was at Yookyung’s room, I glanced at the time and saw it was 5pm. Didn’t I have something to do? I don’t I remember though. . .Yookyung looked at me and gave a sigh. She knew what was going through my head. She knew that I was thinking about Myungsoo and his family but also the reputation of my family’s company.

“Naeun, you should go.”

“Go where?”

“Back to Korea.”

“No.”

“Why not? You’re going to be like this in days, Naeun. I know when you start worrying about something. Remember the time when you heard that L had a ‘concussion’ ?”

She was right. I will probably will think about this in days. Suddenly, I got go a phone call and picked up the phone.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Naeun, where are you?” asked a familiar voice.

I forgot about the date. . .that Taemin planned for both of us.

“At home. Sorry, I forgot. I’ll go there right now,” I said.

Yookyung looked at me and gave me a what face.

“Who was that?”

“Lee Taemin. He’s Korean too but born here.”

“Are you-”

“No. I’m not. Are you kidding? If Taemin and I start dating then Myungsoo will probably do things to me so that I belong to him again.”

“Then why?”

“I don’t know. He offered food. . .”

“Your weakness. . .”

“Yep, well I’ll talk to you later.”

“Fine, I’ll go get groceries.”

“Ask someone to go with you; the streets of New York are much different in Boston. I have a friend who lives across from me. He’s a good friend of Sunggyu. His name is Lee Byunghee, but he likes being called L.Joe.”

“Fine., but I don’t know him. . .”

I dragged Yookyung out of my apartment and across the hallway toward another apartment. I knocked on the door and waited for an answer. The door opened slightly and L.Joe came out.

“Hey Naeun, what’s up?”

“Can you go grocery shopping with Yookyung, a good friend of mine and Sunggyu?” I asked while pushing Yookyung forward.

“Sure, a friend of Sunggyu and you is a my friend too. Hi Miss Yookyung,” he said politely.

“Um. . .just call me Yookyung. Hi L.Joe, I heard about you just now,” said Yookyung awkwardly.

I left them talking awkwardly and ran toward the school campus.

****

Naeun got the school campus and breathed heavily. She ran from her apartment to the school. Even though her apartment was about two blocks from the school, it was still a long run. When she glanced up, Taemin was sitting at one of the benches.

“Sorry, I was-”

“It’s okay, I understand you Naeun,” said Taemin as he gave her one of his nice smiles.

“Really. . .”

“Yeah, you’re always busy and I’ve seen you study in the library. You always end up sleeping there. . .”

Naeun looked at him with a pokerface. So he does know a lot about me.

“So what know?” I asked.

“Oh right! I know a good place,” said Taemin as he wrapped an arm around Naeun’s shoulders and guided her to a Korean restaurant.

While Taemin and Naeun were conversing, another man was spying on them.

“So. . .you’re talking with her, huh? Well, that won’t last long,” said the man as he followed their date.

While Taemin and Naeun were walking down the streets, Naeun felt like eyes were staring at her. She stopped and turned around.

“Hey, Naeun what is it?” asked Taemin.

“I swear. There was someone staring at us. He or she was right there,” said Naeun as she pointed toward the American Girls shop.

“Naeun, I think you’re seeing things,” said Taemin as he pulled her toward him.

The spy clenched his fingers as he watched Naeun being pulled toward Taemin and Naeun didn’t care.

“I swear she’s trying to make me jealous or something. Well, it’s working,” he muttered.

Naeun and Taemin got to the restaurant and Naeun asked for expensive steak. Taemin somewhat cried when Naeun wanted the expensive steak but he did promise her that she can have anything. While they were waiting for their food, the spy was sitting a table across from them and listened to the conversation.

“So Naeun, are you going back to Korea?” asked Taemin.

“No, I’m willing to spend my break here with Yookyung. How about you? Are you going to visit Korea?”

“Not really, I’m going back home in California.”

“That sounds nice.”

Naeun ended the conversation and Taemin tried to think of another way to talk to Naeun. He was glad to finally have a date with her. They didn’t have to talk about any classes that he needed help with.

“So do you have a boyfriend?” asked Taemin.

“No, I don’t want one.”

“Oh, but there are a lot of guys that like you.”

“Like who?”

“I heard Kai likes you, Luhan, Jinyoung, even L.Joe.”

“L.Joe? He’s a good friend of mine. He wouldn’t like me.”

“Not the way he stares at you at the library. He seems to like you.”

Naeun looked at Taemin and gave him a sigh. Is this your way of asking me to go out with you? I will refuse you, you know.

“Do you have someone in your mind?” asked Taemin.

“No, I’m not willing to.”

“Lies, I can’t believe you lie so easily,” said the spy.

Naeun turned around toward the table across from them. I know that voice. No. . It can't be. How? The spy took off his hat and coat and exposed himself to Naeun and her ‘date’.

“Nice to see you again, Naeun,” said the spy.

“Who are you? How do you know, Naeun?” asked Taemin.

He spoke in Korean in front of Taemin.

“Oh? You don’t know me? I’m Kim Myungsoo, the heir of the Kim Corporation and you’re talking to my girlfriend.”


A PRESENT FOR THE NEW YEAR!
I MADE A REALLY REALLY LONG CHAPTER!
I HOPE YOU LIKE IT <3