Love at first type

1 + 1 = L.O.V.E.

Nadia is the type of person that everyone loves. She's funny and smart, pretty and weird, and everything you could want in a girl. But for some reason she cant find true love. 

No matter where she looks or what she does, its nowhere to be found. 

But one day, on her way home from school, Nadia came across what looked like a rather large cell phone half buried in the dirt. Being as curious as she was, she dug up the bulky thing and examined it closer. 

To her surprise, it was a calculator! 

This was perfect! Nadia's old calculator had broken a few days before and she was so heartbroken that she couldnt force herself to buy a new one. But this old calculator looked just like her old one! 

She decided to take it home and clean it up a little, you know make it shine and stuff. So the rest of the way home, Nadia skipped and hummed happily to herself, eager to try out her new calculator. 

Once home, she raced upstairs and into her room, diving for the cleaning supplies sitting neatly on her night stand. "One must always clean their calculators if they want it to have a long and happy life."

That was her motto, so she had bought every type of cleaning tool known to man. Her room was filled to the roof with cotton balls, cotton swabs, pressurized air bottles, disinfectant wipes, you name it.

For the rest of the night, Nadia cleaned and polished and disinfected to her hearts content until her new calculator gleamed and shined. It took her breath away. 

There was nothing she couldnt do on that calculator. From square roots and exponents, to graphing and making tables, this was the one for her without a doubt. 

Sitting there, she began wondering what it would be like to type on that calculator. To run her fingers over the softness of the keys and watch as her equation was solved in a matter of seconds. 

Just thinking about it made her blush with excitement!

Giving in to the yearning in her chest, she slowly reached out her hand and brushed her fingertips gently along the edge. She gave a little gasp and bit her lip. It was so smooth! 

Trailing her eyes over it she paused on the 'on' button. Oh how she wanted to press it and watch as the screen lit up and lifted her heart with it! 

She paused for a spilt second, relishing in the moment to come, before pressing down on the button that would steal her heart. 

Her heart raced at the sight of its beautiful screen, a sense of love and compassion washing over her as she typed in a simple equation. 

 

1 + 1 = 

 

Her finger hovered over the 'Enter' button, anxious of what might come up. What if it was incorrect? She wouldnt be able to use this calculator! The very thought stabbed through her heart like a knife. 

She had to find out. 

She pressed the button and held her breath, counting to three before looking at the answer below. 

Her spirit lifted with joy as she read the number '2' flash on the screen. It worked! It really worked!

She went to turn off her new calculator, smiling with glee, when she noticed a button towards the very top labeled 'ALPHA'.

Smiling to herself she pressed it and began inputting a sentence into her new calculator, being careful to press the correct buttons for each letter. 

Satisfied with herself, she set her calculator on her night stand and turned out the light, its screen sending a gently glow on the area around it. 

Before drifting off she caught one last glimpse of its screen and smiled, closing her eyes as the calculator dimmed and went out to conserve the battery. She wrote that one sentence every night before she went to bed, smiling and dreaming happy dreams. 

If you can keep a secret, I'll tell you what it was.

The secret sentence was 

I Love You.