Chapter 19

Should I Take A Chance?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 19

 

 

Haneul's POV

 

 

Haneul puffed her cheeks. She was still 1.5 seconds behind her usual record. It wasn't good. After training for some time, she should've improved.

 

 

"Haneul-ssi, why don't you rest for awhile?" Their coach advised her.

 

 

She took deep breaths. "I can still run, coach."

 

 

"It's not your physical state, Haneul."

 

 

"Huh?"

 

 

"Your vital signs are normal and healthy so I think the problem is in your mental state. Are you bothered with something now? You should clear your mind first."

 

 

She sighed. "Okay, coach."

 

 

Haneul was really bothered with Kyuhyun and her. It seemed so obsessive and stupid to be so disturbed by him for weeks now but she can't really control her so-called mental state. And now it's taking a toll on her performance in the sport that she loves.

 

 

"You should remember your reason for running. Get a grasp of your purpose." He tapped her shoulder and walked away.

 

 

"My reason for running, huh?" She sat down on the ground and closed her eyes. She wanted to become the fastest female runner in Korea and win that gold medal in the Nationals.

 

 

But that wasn't it. She knew her coach was talking about the reason why she started running in the first place.

 

 

It sounds so sports drama-like to have a backstory for why she became a runner but truth be told, she really has one. It sounds so cheesy but she recalled it anyway.

 

 

Flashback

 

 

11 years ago..

 

 

Haneul went to the airport with Kyuhyun and his parents. Kyuhyun was going to a vacation with his cousins and his sister in the US. She wanted to say goodbye to him because they aren't going to see each other for two months, but because of a childish fight they had previously, she wasn't on speaking terms with him.

 

 

"Call us every hour, alright?" Kyuhyun's mom told him.

 

 

"That's too much. It's not like you're never going to see me again." Kyuhyun said.

 

 

"We better check in now. We don't want to miss our flight." His uncle started moving their luggage.

 

 

"Haneul-a, won't you say something to Kyuhyunnie?" Kyuhyun's dad asked her.

 

 

Haneul just regarded Kyuhyun coldly while crossing her arms. She can't remember why they fought in the first place but she doesn't want to be the first one to make up with him like always.

 

 

Kyuhyun just looked at her then turned around. She frowned. Still playing hard-to-get 'til the end, huh? Fine then.

 

 

"These two, really.." Ahra unnie shook her head in disappointment. "Oh well, let's just go. Kyuhyunnie, do you remember that blonde girl Candace? She's excited for us to arrive. I think she likes you."

 

 

Haneul scowled at the ground. What does she care about blonde girls named Candace?!

 

 

They waved them goodbye and she turned to leave with Kyuhyun's parents. Two months, huh? It's a really long time for her. She won't be seeing Kyuhyun for two whole months. No Kyuhyun to hear her monologue, no Kyuhyun to annoy, no Kyuhyun to anything.

 

 

She spun around. She can still make it, right? If she ran fast, she can catch up to him. She needed to or she'll regret it for those two months.

 

 

Haneul took a deep breath and ran with all her might, ignoring Kyuhyun's parents' calls. She always knew her legs were long so she can make it.

 

 

She caught sight of that familiar backside. "Kyunnie!" She shouted at him.

 

 

Kyuhyun turned around slowly and looked surprised to see her. She stopped in front of him and clutched his shirt because she was feeling dizzy with her speed.

 

 

"Are you crazy? How did you get here so fast? It looks scary, you know." Kyuhyun told her.

 

 

She was panting. "Come.. come back, alright, Kyunnie?"

 

 

"Huh?"

 

 

"I said.. come back.. soon." She was still breathing hard as she looked at his face.

 

 

He blinked a few times. He just stared at her but said. "Okay. I'll.. come back soon." Kyuhyun gave her a smile. "You run very fast. I think you'll do well on races."

 

 

"You think so?" She asked and he nodded.

 

 

End of Flashback

 

 

Haneul laughed at the memory. It seemed pretty childish that she started running because Kyuhyun told her so but he was actually right. Running at full speed was also like flying, though she never experienced being on air though.

 

 

"How I wish I can have that motivation now.." She murmured to herself.

 

 

"A 5-second record, huh?"

 

 

Haneul's eyes opened in surprise. Her heart almost escaped from her chest to see Kyuhyun sitting beside her.

 

 

"W-when did you get here?! Are you trying to kill me?!"

 

 

"You were busy sleeping and laughing like an idiot so I didn't disturb you."

 

 

She glared at him then focused her eyes on the ground. After yesterday, she wasn't able to talk to him. Everytime she sees him, she can't help but remember that time when he was with Seohyun.

 

 

"Don't you have practice with Seohyun-a?" She asked him.

 

 

"I'm tired of it."

 

 

She scolded herself for being happy upon hearing that. He's tired of the practice, not Seohyun, you idiot. But then it can be he's tired of practicing with Seohyun. Or maybe it's --

 

 

"Why can't you beat your own record?" He suddenly asked.

 

 

Her nerve pulsed. "I don't know!" You're the reason why, you jerk!

 

 

"You love running, right?" He glanced at her. "Come to think of it, I was the one who told you to start this running thing.”

 

 

She blushed. “No, you weren’t.”

 

 

“It was back there at the airport. We were about to check in our bags when this girl suddenly shouted –“

 

 

“Fine, fine! You were!” Really, this guy just loves embarrassing her.

 

 

He got on his knees. “Stand up.”

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“I said stand up.”

 

 

She frowned at him but she stood up, anyway. “What now?”

 

 

“Give me your timer.” She was bewildered but she handed it to him. “It’s 50m, right? On that spot?” he pointed to the spot near the tree. She nodded. “You have to catch up there to me in 5 seconds.”

 

 

She was incredulous. “Are you kidding me? I’ve spent all morning just to have that record. I’m almost at my limit now! You can’t possibly think I could do that.”

 

 

“You have to.”

 

 

“Look, Kyunnie. My stamina’s draining now and coach said –“

 

 

“That the problem lies in your mental state. Just forget everything and think about me.”

 

 

“WHAT?”

 

 

“If you can’t reach me there within 5 seconds..” Kyuhyun started walking away. “Don’t come near me ever again.”

 

 

Haneul felt something very heavy pressing into her chest. “What are you talking about, Kyunnie?”

 

 

“I’m not going to speak to you nor look at you. 5 seconds, okay?”

 

 

“You must be kidding.”

 

 

He stopped walking for awhile and gave her a look that made her scared. “I’m serious.”

 

 

“Yah! What the hell is this?!”

 

 

He ignored her and continued going to the 50-meter mark. Just where did he get this idea?! Seriously, he wants her to stay away from him? Why? What’s his problem? Maybe he was really tired of her and saw this as a chance to get away. She locked her eyes on his back that was moving away from her. It was just 50 meters but it feels like he was going to the other side of the world. It hurt just thinking of it.

 

 

She started warming up. No, she can’t lose him. Even if he was just messing around with her like usual, she still can’t bear it. Yeah, maybe she was getting too dependent on him but that’s the least of her concern. She got into position and took deep breaths.

 

 

When Kyuhyun reached the spot, she didn’t wait for him to give a signal. She just blasted off like it was the most crucial competition of her life. It was more important than the Nationals. You’re not going to get away from me that easy, Cho Kyuhyun!

 

 

5 s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter