Line One

Running Towards You

***

 

"Come on! Just a little bit more! Do your best, Jijun-ah! Keep trying!" He said loudly, holding a timer device in his left hand as he waved his right hand.

I've ran with all of my strength. But, I have to be faster. I have to try harder. Yes, I just have to keep on trying.

 

***

 

Han Jijun — Point of View

"I'm sorry Jijun-ah, maybe next year. Is it okay?" A white shirted man with a training pants who looked like in his middle age scratched his head awkwardly. He the school's track and field club's coach.

"Yes, I understand coach. It's alright, I'll work hard to do better next year." I bowed my head and showed him my forced smile.

Again, I failed. Even until now, I still failed. But it's alright, it really is alright.

 

***

 

Choi Junhong — Point of View

"Congratulation! Yeay! If it's you, we're going to win! Yes, no doubt! Do you best, Junhong-ah! Congrats! Yeah!" All of the track and field club's members are very excited knowing that I will be ahead for the National Atletic Competition for highschool classes.

This has been repeated continuously. Since elementary school, I was always involved in this kind of competition. Perhaps, this is indeed a great honor for me. However, these days, I felt uncomfortable. Feels like something jammed in my chest.

"Jijun?" I muttered as I observed my right and left. But in this gym, she's not here.

Where is she?

"Ah? You're looking for Jijun? Maybe she has gone home." Said one of my fellow teammate.

Regardless of his words, I immediately ran out of the gym and walked towards the field. And I know it. I saw a pony-tailed girl running with her sweats dripped. She looked so serious staring ahead as her white running shoes exposed to dust and splashing mud from the rain yesterday.

If it's like this, she can't be stopped. I just sighed and have a seat on the ground. Then, I straightened my legs sitting on the sidelines, waiting for her to finish turning several times. When she's running, she never cares about her surroundings. She will continue to run, with her face and her messy hair blowen by the wind.

It's almost 15 minutes she ran. Eventually, she started to slow down her pace, and stepped aside towards me. She put both her hands to her knees, bending her body, trying to normalize her breathe. Her face was wet, and it didn't come just from the sweats.

I pulled my legs and sat cross-legged as I looked up to see her reddened eyes.

"Congratulation, Junhong-sshi. Congratulation." She panted, while tried to draw a sincere smile on her cheeks. "Why are- you- here? You should be at the gym, everyone is surely searching for-"

Before she finished her sentences, I immediately got up from my previous position and hugged her.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

Eventhough I received no reply, I already know, because she started wetting my sleeve with tears. I know it has been years, she tried her best. I'm sorry. I really am sorry.

 

***

 

Han Jijun — Point of View

"How is it?" Asked a boy who is wearing a different school uniform from me.

I just shaked my head with a weak smile wistfully. And after seeing my reaction, he replied my smile and closed his eyes for a second.

"It's alright, keep doing your best?" He said, gently rubbed my head a few times.

"Yes, I'll keep doing my best." I looked up to his face and smiled.

This very kind person is Jung Daehyun. He's my neigbor and he's older than me by a year. Most importantly, he was the one who made me started and love running.

At that time when I was seven years old, because of my parents often to quarreled and yelled at each other. I could only cry alone. Until finally he came and wiped my tears away, he pulled my hands and said, "When you're sad, just run. The wind will calm you down, it's true!"

Since that day, I was always running, and as time passed, the 'like' word had changed to 'love'. So, I enroll myself in track and field club. But, although I love running, I'm not particulary good at it.

I oftenly fell and hurt, it was already a commonplace. However, he was always there to help me, encouraging me and smile for me. I feel so lucky to have him by my side.

"Today, I'll treat your favorite." He said excitedly as he stretches his hands.

"Eh? But, I've failed, and I-" Before I had time to finish my sentence, he covered my mouth with his right hand and patted my cheeks several times.

"You didn't fail. You did your best, I'm so proud of you." He smiled gently, then he pulled my hand and started leading me to walk.

 

* NEXT DAY *

 

Choi Junhong — Point of View

"Morning." I greeted Jijun as she walked in from the school gates. She was carrying a brown-colored briefcase book bag in front of her skirt and she replied my greet with a smile.

"Morning!" She said excitedly.

I didn't really believe with the smile she showed me, so I asked, "You alright?" As I frowned anxiously.

She just nodded with a smile that still can't be separated from her cheeks.

"Next year, I'll definitely beat you! Just look!" She added, sticked out her tongue and then went to her classroom.

Since the middle school, she hasn't changed at all. What a weird girl.

I smiled at myself as I looked at her back.

 

***

 

Han Jijun — Point of View

"Really!? Kyah! Junhong is so cool! He's smart, tall, friendly, so good at sport and so good looking! Of course I'll be encouraging him for the big competition! Ah, I'll come! He sure looks cool! I can't wait! He's definitely going to win just like usual!"

All of the girls were excitedly screaming and talking, knowing that Junhong will participate in the annual competition which is very prestigious.

I just smiled widely, so happy to hear it. That right, if it's Junhong, he'll surely win. Moreover, I still need a lot more practice.

Junhong is very famous among the seniors and juniors. He's very good at everything. Naturally, everyone likes him because he's also friendly and polite. It turns out that in this world, there is also a person like that.

"Jijun!" Seorim whined, suddenly appeared right in front of me.

"Ah!" I surprised. "What is it!? You scared me, you know!?" I yelled as I closed my eyes and rubbed my chest a few times. I thought my heart was going to brust out.

Didn't care with my reaction, she just continued her speech, "Jijuuun, I heard Junhong-"

"Yes, it's alright. I'll do my best for next year. I'm sure I'll try my hardest." I raised my eyebrows a few times.

"Jijuuun." She whined, "Keep up the good work! I know you can do it!" She added with her eyes were watery.

This adoreable short-haired girl is Kang Seorim, my friend. Since the 8th grade, we both always have been in the same class. She knew I love to run. So, although she admires Junhong very much, she remains supporting me in a competition like this.

To be honest, I felt gultiness for all the people who have supported me. I failed, again. I've let them down. I'm sorry, I'll try harder next year.

 

* AFTER SCHOOL *

 

Choi Junhong — Point of View

"Again and again." I muttered as I smiled to see her usual ponytailed-hair got messy.

After ten minutes, she arrived at the finish line, still catching her breath. I handed her a bottle of health drink, and she smiled as she took it.

"The competition was staying five more months, you must be definitely tired of practicing." She looked into my eyes, "Do your best!" Then she started raising her fisted-hand, cheering me.

"Thanks." I said, smiled as I stared the twilight sky. "How's Daehyun hyung?" I randomly asked. All of the sudden, that name came to my mind for some reason.

"Ah, oppa? He's well." She said, before started drinking the drink that I just gave her.

"Really..." I replied, softly sighed.

"Daehyun oppa said you must be very excited, you can surely win, Junhong-sshi!" She smiled, and her eyesmile was showing.

"Of course, I'll work hard for you."

"DRRRTT!" Her cellphone was vibrating.

"I'm sorry, please excuse me for a minute." She said as she took her cellphone out of her pocket.

I just nodded with a faint smile. She began to move slightly away and immediately picked the call up. I think I know who is calling on the otherside.

"Hello? Ah oppa, what's wrong? I see... okay, I understand. Me? I'm with Junhong right now. Wha- whaaat!?" She squealed as she glanced briefly towards me with her bright red cheeks for just some seconds. "It's not like that! I just finished practicing, stupid! Yeeeees, I understaaaand. Goodbyeeeee."

Shortly after she hung up the cellphone and put it back into her pocket, she said, "Daehyun oppa."

"I know." I smiled.

"...He thinks we are going out. He's so weird, he likes to say random things. I'm sorry." She explained as she bit her lower lip, awkwardly.

I just giggled at her funny blushed face.

"And he was waiting at the station, I should be going soon." She added, changed the athmosphere.

"Station? Then, why don't we go together?" I asked, spontaneously. It just came out from my mouth as I only thought about that person who was waiting for her.

"Huh? You've only just came to the field. Don't you have to practice? I'll be fine by myself." She showed body gesture which says 'it's alright.'

Ah, that's right. I've only just came to the field. I stupidly forgot.

"Well, I'm going to practice tomorrow. You don't want me to disturb you?"

"No! It's not like that!" She shook her head, panickly. "I mean, is it really okay if you don't practice today?" 

"It'll be fine." I smiled.

"Then, I'll quickly change my clothes. Junhong-sshi too, right?"

"Yes, I'll wait for you at the school gates."


NOTES: I'm sorry but yeah, this story changes the point of views quite often. Because I wanted to let every characters's feeling expressed. I'm sorry if it's boring. >< thank you very much and please share your thoughts! ^^