A Penny for Your Time

A Penny for Your Time

" I'm sorry, Yuri-sshi. But the customers think lowly of this shop because of you. I think it'd be best if you leave. " I knew this day was coming sooner or later. I bow my head to my boss, taking my things and leaving the shop.

" Poor girl. " I hear her faint voice. I smile, making my way back home. When I get home, I grab deoleo (dirt) and put her in my lap. Deoleo is a puppy I found in this warehouse. She looked so lonely and afraid, but openly came to me when I reached out to her. I call her dirt because when I saw her, she was covered in dust and dirt, kind of  like me. I was 7 when I came across this cold and empty place. But it was the only exception. My parents were murdered one day when I got home. I ran until I couldn't tell where I was anymore. When my feet started to bleed and get swollen, I saw an opened door. I slowly made my way in and saw that no one was in here. So I've been staying her since then. For 13 years. 
As I her soft fur, I let out a sigh.

" What am I suppose to do now, deoleo? " I puff out, leaning my head on her softly. She fusses on my head, trying to free herself. I lift my head up, letting her run off.

" I guess I'll just take a trip to the waterfall and get cleaned up. It's been a while since I've been there... " I scratch my hair and take a whiff, almost fainting. Should've took one earlier, then I probably would still have the job. I shake my head, hitting it slightly with my fist.

---

After cleaning myself up, I clean my clothes and head for the park. As I walk along the paths, I see a shiny object shining on the ground. Realizing that it's a penny, I quickly bend down to grab it.

" Ah!! Ah~~ appa-yo. " A voice cries when we bump heads. I rub my head, looking up at the person.

" I'm sorry. " I apologize, helping her get up. When I brush myself off, she lets out a heartily laugh. I look up at her as we meet eyes, laughing together.

" Do you want it? " Her soft and medley voice speaks. I really do, but instead I shake my head. She smiles at me, picking up the penny and putting it in my hand.

" It's okay, I found one not to long ago. " She assures me with another smile. I smile back, putting the penny in my bag.

" Your hair is wet. Did you come back from swimming? " She asks, taking a look at my hair and wet clothes. I grab a clump of my hair and untangle it with my fingers.

" No, I went to the waterfall not to far away from here. " I tell her. She nods her head.

" Oh~ a waterfall? I've always wanted to see one. " She exclaims, clasping her hands together. I smile at her bright and fun personality.

" Well it was nice to meet you, but I must be going now. Don't want to be late for school! " She laughs out, waving while walking backwards.

" You too! " I wave back. When she turns around, I walk all the way home with a smile on my face. It's been so long since anyone's talked to me. Well, excluding my boss. But the way she talked to me... it was like we were already friends. It made me feel special. 

---

I fastened my pace, skipping a little as my heart did the same. Glancing at the nicely decorated chocolate flowers in my hands, I start to run towards the destination. I stop to catch my breath as I see a familiar figure standing before me, her back facing me. I tiptoe over and tap her on the shoulder, crouching down quickly. She turns around and looks left then right, then down. Laughing at the game. 

" I thought you were busy. " She asks, as we sit on the near by bench. I catch my breath before answering.

" I am. That's why I ran here. " I say, setting the chocolate flowers down. She looks at them then at me.

" So you bought these? " She questions, squinting her eyes at me. I hesitate for a while.

" Uhh.. well, I was hungry. And I was kind of in the mood for some sweets. Why? You don't want any? I'll eat them all. " I tease, taking them into my hands again. She pushes me, crossing her arms and pouting. 

" I didn't say that. " I laugh at her, handing her a stem. She smiles and takes it without hesitation, eating the rose pedals. I stick my hand out to her. She stares blankly then reaches in her pocket, remembering.

" Hehee, almost forgot. " She smiles, placing the penny onto my palm. 

" Thanks. " I say, smiling back. When me and Yoona ran into each other more often, we decided to become friends and hang out when we had time. I told her I had work (which was a lie, until the ajumma down the street needed help carrying stuff into her store. She said she would pay me if I did it every time new things arrived. I agreed.) and she also had school. Since we had to give up our " precious " time for each other, we decided to pay a penny whenever we decided to meet. This time Yoona wanted to meet, so she had to give the penny. Last week was me. 

" Yah. Were you actually working? " She asked, chocolate smeared across her cheek. I nod, laughing at her. 

" Of course~ " I tell her, wiping the chocolate with a napkin. She embarrassingly takes the napkin, wiping her cheek. 

" Well my lunch time is almost over, see you later!! " She springs from her seat, running off. 

" Yah!! Eat properly, not just chocolate!! " I yell at her. She nods, waving her hand, her small figure disappearing. I let out a sigh and decide to head back home.

 

Yoona POV:

As I'm running back to school, I forget that I still have Yuri's bracelet with me. I check my watch to see that I still have a few minutes. I run back to the bench to see no one. I walk down the road for a while then spot Yuri. I'm about to call her name until I see her turn into an unfamiliar alley. I quietly follow behind. I see her go all the way to the end, going inside a rusty old door. I wait for a little before sneaking over, opening the door slightly. I look around and see no one. Is that a dog? Yuri unnie has a dog? I stare at the dog then Yuri comes into sight. She grabs the dog and sits on a pile of dirty looking clothes. Gross. 

" I got the penny this time, deoleo. " She speaks happily, petting the dog. Penny? The one I gave her earlier?  She leans her head back, smiling. When she takes a glance at the door, I quickly and quietly run, hiding behind a pair of dumpsters. Pew! The smell~

" Weird, I thought I closed the door. " I hold my breath as I hear the door tightly close, with a lock noise after. I get out from behind the dumpsters and exhale deeply. 

" It smells so bad, " I squeal. " But... does Yuri unnie really live here? " I question, walking back to school. I glance at my watch and realize what time it is. 

" Shoot!! I'll be late! "


When school finishes, I walk back home. I can't stop thinking about Yuri... does she really live there? No... can't be. Maybe that's where the dog lives, and she visits it. But why would she take care of a dog in a different place? If Yuri really does live there... is she. Homeless?  I shake my head from the thought. It can't be true. She doesn't dress like one... most of the time. She always smells nice and washes her hair. Twice a week... If she really is, then why does she not seem like it? Is she... IM YOONA, HOW DARE YOU THINK OF YOUR FRIEND LIKE THAT. 

"  Is she a freeloader? " I widen my eyes, hitting my lips continuously. How could I say that about her!! Aish... I don't know anymore. Yuri unnie, who are you? 

 

Yuri POV:

It's been a few days since we've last met, but Yoona has never showed up. I started to worry about her, thinking horrible stuff that I don't ever want to think again. Why wasn't she coming? 

The next day, I head over to the park and see Yoona! A smile instantly appears on my face as I run over to her. Totally ignoring the person next to her, I swing her over to face me.

" Yah~ How come you never came? Were you sick? " I ask worriedly. She stares at me nervously. She doesn't even smile like usual. The women next to her turns around with a smile like Yoona's.

" Annyeong! Are you Yoona's friend?! " She asks excitedly, smiling at Yoona. I smile, nodding. She must be Yoona's mom.

" Yoona's told me lots about you. You sound like a great friend. Oh! It's almost dinner time, would you like to join us for dinner? " I stare at her hesitantly then at Yoona, her head tilts down. 

" C-could I? " I ask quietly. Yoona's mom claps her hands. 

" Of course!! We love when guest come over. Especially because you're Yoona's friend. " I awkwardly smile, following Yoona and her mom. 

Yoona, what's wrong with you?

 

As we sit awkwardly at the kitchen table, Yoona's mom gives me all of the good parts. I take a bite, wanting to devour the whole bowl into my mouth, but I contain myself. With difficulty, I swallow.

" It's delicious. Thank you. " Yoona's mom beams, smiling with joy. 

" Really? Thanks! Eat as much as you want. " She says, scooting the plates closer to me. I gratefully eat as Yoona carefully watches me. I try my best to not eat like a pig, but I just can't help it. I haven't had these kind of foods since I was a child. I missed these flavorful food. Especially my moms cooking. Thinking about my mom and Yoona's next to me. I started to feel my eyes well up.

" Don't be shy, have some more~ Eat lots, you are so skinny for a girl your age. " That moment, my tears flooded out. I wiped and wiped, but even more came.

" Omo! Yuri, is something wrong? " She hurriedly comes to my side, rubbing my back. That makes it worse. When she rubbed my back, it reminded me of my mothers way of comforting me. She would hold me close to her and rub my back, humming a lullaby in my ears until I fell asleep. 

Yoona looks up worriedly at me.

" I'm sorry. It's just that you remind me of my mother so much. " I cried out, wiping my tears again. 

" Where's your mother? " She asks cautiously. I let out a few more tears before answering.

" She was murdered when I was 7. My father too. " I couldn't even talk, my breath was short and quick. 

" Oh my, I'm so sorry dear. Who have you been living with since then? " My tears stop spilling out as I start to calm down and steady my breath.

" No one. I live by myself in an old warehouse. " She gasped, bringing me into her arms.

" For 13 years? I could never imagine how you survived! You're such a strong girl. " She praised me. I let out a soft laugh.

" I'm sorry. I didn't mean to have dinner like this. " I apolagize, looking up at Yoona. Her face was still expressionless. 

" No no no, you don't have to apolagize. Let me go get you some water, Yoona. " She left into the kitchen with Yoona following. A few minutes passed, and they were still gone. I slowly walked to the kitchen as I heard my name,

" Yuri is just a poor little soul, how could you ever think about her like that? " Yoona's moms voice rang quite loudly. Yoona stayed quiet.

" Apolagize to her tomorrow and tell her why you never went out to meet her. Why didn't you get to know her first before making assumptions. " She scolded. Yoona stayed quiet.

" I'm sorry. I just saw where she was staying and had rash thoughts. " She finally spoke, but very quietly. Her mom let out a heavy sigh.

" Tomorrow. Apolagize tomorrow, now hurry up. We've taken to long. " I quickly head back to my seat without making a noise. 

" Sorry about that, a phone call came up. " She cracks, handing the cup of water to me. I accept it, taking a few sips. 

 

Yoona POV:

Reaching the rusty old door, I open it softly. Still hearing a loud creek as I walk in. It's cold and empty as the dog comes my way. Yuri turns around, noticing my apperence.

" How did you know I lived here? " She asks, walking over to me. Her scent was strong, but heavenly. I got carried away for a bit. 

" I- I was looking around for some warehouses, and came across this one. So I wanted to check if you stayed here. " She stared at me, not believing anything I had just said. I exhale, then inhale.

" Okay. Don't be mad, but... the day you gave me the chocolate, I forgot that I still had your bracelet you gave me as a good luck charm for finals. I wanted to give it back, so I followed you. I was about to call your name, but you went into this mysterious place. When I saw you, honestly I -- "

" I know. " She interrupted. I stare at her confusingly.

" How di-- "

" I was listening to you and your mom talk last night. " I nod. I look up to see her eyes welled up.

" I thought you weren't one of those people. That's why I liked you. Because you looked at me instead of giving me weird stares. Because you smiled instead of mocking me. Because you talked to me, like I was someone special. But I guess I was all wrong. Everything I thought about you was wrong. You're just  like the other people. Can't yo-- "

" You're wrong! " I yelled. Her tears finally fell as mine followed.

" That's right, I thought you were a beggar. But then, I started to realize my feelings for you. I was confused and that's why I didn't come out to meet you. I was afraid that you wouldn't feel the same, so I ignored you. Hoping these feelings would too. But they wouldn't. Infact, they grew bigger. When you came that night and cried, I wanted to comfort you but my mom was already there and I thought you hated me by then. I'm sorry I was only thinking about myself. " I dragged my feet closer to hers, wrapping my arms around her tightly.

" I love you, just the way you are. " 

 

 

 

 

Hope you guys enjoyed it!! ( Sorry if it seemed a little rushed. )

I wanted to update yesterday, but ran out of time. ><

Thanks for the support my subbies!!! :D

- ilovekpop777 

P.S. Look forward to my new stories coming soon!

Comment below if you would like another YoonYul or a JeTi . ^^ 

I'm so excited for these stories!~~