Chapter One

The Winter that Lasted Forever.

 

I.

 

 

Hakyung brushed her teeth as she stare at the television for morning news. Though she tried concentrating on the television, her mind was off somewhere more interesting-- the documents inside the manila envelope. Indeed it contained something she has interest on; in fact it has something to do with her life. She knew the moment she finished reading half of the whole document that she’s supposed to participate in that case. Avoiding is not an option. And one way or another, if she’d reject it, it will still find her.  And she’s not the type to leave something or someone chasing behind her. She love endings… in fact, it may be the only thing she loves in this world.

“I’ll need you help in this case, Moon.” It was Hakyung’s partner who called her first thing in the morning to ask about her decision. They have always shared something special—like siblings—lovers. They have this mutual understanding unsurpassable by any pair in the agency; they understand each other by eye contact; both of them has means to know if the other has something going on with herself or life. They just know and whatever the other decides into the other supports.

Moon nodded “I thought so.”

“I’m feeling stuffy. I need coffee.” Hakyung stuffed a gun in her bag.

Moon sighed. “Okay.”

Hakyung smiled as she dropped the call, something with that phone call makes her heart happy. She was hoping the day would end up as how it started, internally, her everything was singing happy melody, but because her face seems to lose the capacity to show and kind of emotion or reaction, it remained dead.

At eight in the morning, she arrived at a discreet cafeteria in Hongdae. As expected, Moon was already enjoying his cup of steaming cappuccino.

“The day may come when I kiss away those foam from your lips.” Hakyung smirked teasingly as she handed the envelope to Moon. “Read and comprehend. I’ll go get my coffee.”

When she got back, Moon had placed the document back to its case. His face seems calmer and more composed than it was before he read the documents; of course Hakyung has a way of knowing just by looking at his face.

“When you told me you’ll get him back, you were serious… right?”

Hakyung nodded.

“That’s all I ever want to know, Hakyung-ah.” Moon smiled before emptying his cup. “When are you planning to start?”

“Now.”

“How about the plan?”

“At the back parts of the page, it was indicated that I am going to be a talent of a certain agency. I will protect the boss, get to know his surroundings, and secure it. Of course, because I am undercover, I will be an actress talent of the agency. I will use a foreign name because the made up profile says I’m a talent from another country.” She paused to take a zip of Americano.

“You’re going to be all over the television?”

“Yes.”

“How about those people who knows you?”

“I will change how I look.”

Moon paused to think of a fast way to change someone’s look. When he can’t think of any than plastic surgery, he sighed at Hakyung “How?”

“I will cut my hair.”

“Are you being serious right now, Hakyung-ah?” Moon’s eyes widen.

If there’s one thing Shin Hakyung has been taking care of the most, it is her hair—her long black straight hair. Not because she’s very girly that she treats it as her crowning glory but because there’s a special memory in it. She would have cut it a long time ago out of discomfort if not for the memory she was trying to protect with it; the length of her hair symbolizes the time she has been waiting for a certain person to come back.

Moon knew that because he was there when everything happened.

“It’s just hair, Moon-ah”

 Tears are welling on Moon’s eyes. “May I keep the trimmed hair, then?”

For the first time in so many years, Hakyung’s lips formed a sincere smile. Her heart, however, has already been thumping hard because Moon’s sincerity and understanding. She was internally thanking Moon for being there. It means a lot when someone, even just one person, knows how you feel and sympathizes with you, especially in the case of the un-feeling Shin Hakyung.

Hakyung nodded. “Do you know that I am internally laughing right now, Park Moon?”

“I know.” He said forcing a smile on his crying face.

After finishing their coffees, both precede to a nearby hair salon where Hakyung got her hair cut to shoulder leve. Moon kept the hair as he had requested. Although Moon thought his partner was still recognizable with hair trimmed and permed, Hakyung was satisfied with it. She actually liked the light feeling of her head as she move around the place..

On their way back to Hakyung’s car, her phone rang, it was the director.

“The president of the WM Entertainment will be waiting for you today. We have already briefed him with all the necessary details.” The voice sighed. “Hakyung-ah, you know you always have me, right?”

“I know.”

“Not as a boss but as your godfather.”

She did not respond.

“Hakyung-ah,” that time the voice was shaking “I know you’re doing this because of what happened to your fathe—”

Shin Hakyung dropped the line before turning it off, then, she turned to Moon who’s sitting on the driver’s seat. “I think I’ll need a separate phone as a celebrity. I can’t have that old bastard calling me all day, apologizing about something that cannot be undone.”

“People apologize because they internally know that there’s nothing they can do about it anymore.” Moon laughed. “Saying sorry is a human’s subconscious way of admitting his mistake. It’s an indirect way of lessening the burden we already have”

 Hakyung put on her seatbelt and closed her eyes.

“Hakyung, maybe it’s about time you forgive yourself too”

She didn’t respond to that and the air remained dead until they reached the agency. Hakyung kept her eyes close though she’s not really asleep; she just wanted to escape. While pretending to rest, Moon’s words kept on playing in her mind. Perhaps she should forgive herself just like what he said; and realize that torturing herself will not amount to anything good.

At least she needs to reclaim someone from the past before she forgives herself.

As they arrive at the agency premises, they were welcomed by a man and a woman and led them both CEO’s office. The office was just right, not too roomy like CEO offices Hakyung had been into. The old man looked kind too, the way he glanced at Hakyung was like how a father would look at her daughter after a long day of work.

He welcomed everyone sincerely, asking them to take a seat on the couch and make themselves comfortable with the cookies and tea that were laid at the center table. None of them dared to touch anything, though. They just waited for the old man’s words.

“I’m sorry that it has to be so sudden, Hakyung” He paused and shook his head. “I mean, SIN” He corrected himself as he was trying to get himself accustomed  with the celebrity identity of his guest.

“This is my partner, Moon.”

The CEO nodded. “The staffs who welcomed the both of you earlier are your stylist and manager. Lee Sora, your stylist.” He gestured at the woman with his palm facing the ceiling, “And Lee Jungmo, your manager.” He moved the direction of his hand to the man sitting beside her stylist.

“Moon, please brief these people before leaving. I don’t want them to quit just because of my personality.”

The CEO must have found Hakyung’s attitude funny because he kept on smiling whenever he spoke. “I was supposed to introduce you to this agency’s main talent but I’m afraid the leader is doing a drama shooting right now and the others are busy practicing for their upcoming come back. Anyway, enough of that, I’m sure you’ll meet them in time.” He nodded at Lee Jungmo and smile.

“Your first major project will be in an action drama.” Jungmo laid the script in front of her. “Actually, I don’t think you’ll find it hard to act in this. It was as if it was written for you.”

“What kind of role am I getting?” Hakyung asked. It was her first inquiry since they arrived.

“You’ll be the main character. As for your partner, you must have known Mr. Lee Joon of the idol group MBLAQ?”

“I don’t.” She disinterestedly responded in her usual brief way.

“Well, you’ll get to know him soon.” Jungmo sighed. “For now, let’s end it here. This is your schedule for the rest of the week. Your stylist will be at your house two hours before the first schedule everyday to dress you up.”

The CEO cleared his throat. “Everything else you need is in that hand bag.” He pointed a Channel hand bag placed on an end table. “See you tomorrow. SIN.”