*~SIX~*

Finding the One

Long time no see everyone!! I apologize for my unkown hiatus, but my life has been a whirlwind the past couple of months and I completely forgot about this story! *a million bows in apology* But I'm back! Without further ado, chapter 6~ 

==============

 

Jinyoung:

I can’t believe I bought couple phone cases for Lauren and I. She probably thinks I’m such a creep. I have embarrassed myself to the next century with the stuff I’ve done today, with the oppa thing to when I put arm around her. I can just crawl into a hole right now and hide there for the rest of my life. I look over and Lauren’s eyes are closed. I stare out the window, and start to space out.

“Hey, are you tired?” I asked her when we were still in Hongdae, “We can sit down at a café or something.”

“Sure!” she says, “Let’s go into this one.”  She pointed to a café we just walked by. We stepped in, and an older woman greeted us and took us to a table. She handed us menus and left. We looked at the menus and decided on what to order. The woman came back and took our orders, and minutes late came back with the food and drinks.

“Thank you, Eomoni.” Lauren kindly said to the woman, as she put the plates down on our table.

“You’re very welcome, my dear” the woman replied, “If you don’t mind me asking, are you two a couple?”

“No we’re not a couple!” we both say at the same time, and the woman laughs.

“Well you should be. You two look really good together.

“We do, don’t we?” I blurt out, and by the time I realized what I said, it was too late. The woman smiles and both of us, and I see that Lauren had gone beet red. When the woman walked away, I took the first chance I got to apologize.

“I’m sorry for that,” I said

“No it’s okay” she shrugged it off coolly, but I could still see her embarrassment

“I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable or anything...”

“No, no it’s okay, really. You just caught be off guard, that’s all.” God, I felt horrible.

After eating and talking over iced coffees, I had finally thought of the perfect place to bring Lauren. I had a couple of places in mind for the event, but I thought I would be spending the day with a fan. This feels like more than just a fan event. 

“Okay, oppa. Where to next?” Another jolt of happiness rushed to me again because she called me oppa.

“You’ll see.” I led her down to the subways and we made our way to the place I had in mind.

 

LAUREN:

“Lauren.” I hear a familiar voice say, “Wake up, Lauren. We’re getting off the next stop.” Wait, it is Jinyoung’s voice. But why would he be waking up? We were just on the subway and, oh no. My eyes fly open, and I realize I dozed off on our subway ride. Not only that, I was sleeping on Jinyoung’s shoulder. Crap, crap, crap. I sit back up, and try to regain my composure. I look at Jinyoung, and he’s also looking at me.

“I’m really sorry” I apologize, “I must dozed off…”

“No it’s okay. It was a pretty long subway ride.” He smiles. The subway stops at the station. “It’s our stop, let’s go.”

When we exited the subway station, Jinyoung led me through a couple of streets, when we finally stopped in front of a building.

“Ta-dah” Jinyoung says.

I blink at the building. “Um…where are we?”

“And you call yourself a fan.” Jinyoung scoffs, jokingly. “It’s the company building, of course.”

“Oh.” I don’t know what to say next. I mean, he must have something planned, but why the company building?

“You’re probably asking why I brought you to the company building, of all places.”

“Are you a mind reader?” I say

“Come on.” Jinyoung says, as he takes me by the wrist and we walk towards the entrance. Jinyoung punches in the code and the door unlocks. With his hand still around my wrist, Jinyoung leads me up a flight of stairs and a couple of hallways. I look past rooms as we breeze by them, and I see all sorts of rooms for different purposes. We finally stop and Jinyoung opens the door. It’s a studio. Jinyoung’s studio.

Jinyoung instinctively enters the studio, and starts to turn on the equipment. I slowly walk in, and the door closes behind me.

“Are you sure I’m allowed in here?” I ask

“Of course! But let’s not tell anyone…just in case” Jinyoung smiles. “Oh you can sit down here.” He starts to make space on the couch beside the desk, and I sit down. Jinyoung turns back to his computer and starts to open up files.

“I’ve been working on a song.” He says, without looking away from the screen. “And I wanted you to be the first person to listen to it.” Did he just say what I think he said? He wants me to hear it first, of all people. I’m touched that he wants me to be the first person.

“It’s still a work in progress, and I haven’t filled in any lyrics yet,” he continues, “but here goes” and he turns it on.  As I listen to the song, I close my eyes and listen very carefully. The song is so different B1A4’s usual songs; it sounds more refined, more mature. There are no words to it, yet somehow it has struck a cord in me.

When the song ends, I open my eyes and look at Jinyoung. He’s looking back at me, waiting for a response.

“Wow” I say, not knowing how else I can express how I feel. “It’s…”

“Different I know,” Jinyoung admits, “But it’s just what came to me the other day.”

“It’s amazing.” I start, “Beyond amazing. I don’t even know what to say.”

“Thanks,” he chuckles, “I really like it too. But there’s something missing in the instrumental that I can’t put my finger on, and it’s really bugging me.”

“Hm…could you play it again?” I ask. Jinyoung nods, and plays it again. As I listen for the second time, I start to analyze the song in my head. He’s right, there is something missing. Is there something off with the chords, I ask myself as my mind goes back to all the music lessons I had since I was a child. I also think about everything my uncle taught me when he used to bring me to his studio to work. Think, Lauren, think.

“What if you added some acoustic guitar into it?” I wanted to say in my head, but it slips out anyways.

“Acoustic guitar?” Jinyoung rolls his chair to the back of the studio, grabs one of the acoustic guitars and hands it to me. “Do you play?”

“Yes, but I didn’t mean to say what I said. It just kinda slipped out.” I mentally hit myself in regret.

“No, no.” Jinyoung reassures me, “I want to know what you think I should do, because I have completely hit a wall with this.”

“Okay.” I hesitate, as I take the guitar. Jinyoung rolls back to his desk, and he waits for me prepare. When I’m ready, he plays the song again, and I start to play around with the guitar until I get what I want. Soon, I figure it out and I’m playing it for Jinyoung.

“You’re a genius.” He says, astonished. “How did you know?”

“I don’t really know. A gut feeling?” I say back to him, “My uncle was a producer, and he used to take me to his studio whenever he had to baby sit me. And my interest towards producing and composing has kind of stuck to me since.”

“Wow” Jinyoung says, looking at me. “What can’t you do?”

“Cooking.” I say, and we both start laughing.

For the next couple of hours, we work on the song non stop, until my stomach starts to growl from hunger.

“Shh” I quietly shush my stomach. I look back at Jinyoung, and he’s looking at me again, amused.

“Hungry?” he asks.

“A little bit.” I say, embarrassed.

“We can stop working, and we can go get something to eat.”

“But we can’t stop now. We’re on a roll with this.”

“Hm…I know!” Jinyoung opens one of the drawers and pulls out a huge folder and puts it down on the table. He opens up the folder, and I noticed it’s a folder full of take out flyers. He flips through them until he find ones and starts to dial the number.

“Is there anything you don’t eat?” he asks me, mid conversation with the person on the other side of the call. I shake my head. Jinyoung smiles at me, as he continues to order food. When the phone call is done, we continue to work on the song.

Twenty minutes later, our food arrives, and we take a break to eat.

“So how often are you in here?” I ask.

“A lot” Jinyoung says, as he’s putting food into his mouth. “Whenever it’s getting close to a promotional cycle, I’m practically in here all day and night. Hence all the food flyers” he chuckles. We continue talking, as we eat our dinner, and I can’t help but notice how comfortable it is talking to him. It’s like we can never run out of topics to talk about.

We clean up after we finish our food, and we go back to working on the song. We work for, I don’t know how long, but I’m guessing that I’ve been in the studio with Jinyoung for hours because as we were working, Baro bursts into the studio.

“Hyung, the president is coming in to check on our choreography progress, so we gotta go-“ as soon as he sees that I’m in the studio as well, he stops and is startled. “Annyonghaseyo. Um…hyung, I’m confused, what’s going on?”

I look at Jinyoung, and he looks confused as well. He quickly checks the time on his phone, and I notice the time as well and I’m taken aback. It’s 11:30. I’ve been here for about four hours.

“Ah, time really flew by” Jinyoung says to himself, and then turns to Baro “Sunwoo-yah, I need your guys’ help. Lauren and I were working on that song, and I guess we lost track of time. Could you guys somehow stall for time so I can at least take Lauren home?”

“Uh. Okay hyung” Baro nods, and he looks at me with a strange look. Then it hits him “Ah! You’re from the fan event right? I knew you looked familiar! I forgot your name though” he pouts trying to remember.

“Yeah I’m one of the winners from the fan event,” I awkwardly smile. “My name’s Lauren.”

“Right! Nice to meet you Lauren” he smiles in a friendly manner, and sits down on the couches.

“Um..Sunwoo-yah” Jinyoung starts fidgeting “What time is the president coming?”

“Between 12 to 12:30, so we got time” Baro says

“Time for what..?” Jinyoung asks

“To listen to the song, of course!” Jinyoung nods, and proceeds to play the song. As I’m sitting here, I’m so nervous. I start playing with my fingers, anticipating what Baro’s reaction will be. As the song is playing, Baro nods to the beat and points out everything that we’ve added.

“This sounds awesome” Baro exclaims, and a huge weight is lifted off my chest. I look over to Jinyoung and he’s looking at me smiling. As Baro goes to replay the song, Jinyoung gestures to me that we’re leaving, and I get my bag.

“So Sunwoo, make sure the president doesn’t get to the dance studio before I come back, okay?” Jinyoung says to Baro.

“Yeah yeah, no worries hyung, I got this covered.” Baro waves him off, and he turns to me. “And it was nice meeting you Lauren-ssi!”

“We’re the same age..” I blurt out, and regretting it the moment the words leave my mouth. I hear Jinyoung beside me chuckle.

“Oh! Chingu-yah!” Baro cheers, and gives me a high five. We say our goodbyes, and Jinyoung and I make our way through the building without being spotted. We make it outside, we start walking towards the subway station. I check my phone and I see that Jinyoung won’t have enough time to get back in time if he took me home. We talk some more as we walk, and we finally get to the subway station exit.

“Oppa, you don’t have to take me all the way home. You won’t make it back on time if you do.” I say to him

“No, I should.” He says “I feel bad if I don’t”

“No no it’s okay, really” I say, but to be honest it would’ve been nice if he could. I still want to spend more time with him.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah it’s fine, I’d feel really bad if you couldn’t get back for your choreography check with your president “

“Okay” Jinyoung says, and I can tell that he’s not okay with it. Neither am I. “Well I guess this is bye then?”

“I guess it is,” I say, feeling very down that we have to part ways. “I had a really great today, oppa. Thank you for everything.”

“No, thank you” Jinyoung smiles, “I haven’t this much fun in a while, I had a great day too” I smile back at him, trying to stall this moment as long as possible.

“Well…goodbye, oppa” I say.

“Bye Lauren.” He says, “We’ll stay in contact, right?”

“Mhmm, we will” I smile, and turn around to walk down the stairs to the subway station. When I get down to the bottom, I turn around to look at Jinyoung once more. He’s standing at the top, both hands in his pocket, and looking at me. I smile again and wave to him, and he waves back. I turn around and enter the station, and managed to catch one of the subways.

 

JINYOUNG:

I watch Lauren as she walks down the stairs, and I realize how much I don’t want her to leave. I feel like we just got close, and she already has to go. When Lauren reaches the bottom, she turns around and looks at me. She flashes me one her smiles and waves at me. I can’t help but to smile back and wave to her. With one last wave, she turns around as disappears into the subway station. I stand there for a couple of minutes, and the thought hits me. I didn’t get her phone number.

“Idiot!” I yell at myself, as I slap my forehead. I let out my anger at my stupidity and yell some more.  As I was doing that, an old couple walks by me and gives me an odd look. After seeing their looks, I regain my composure and start walking back to the company building. I’m such an idiot.

 

LAUREN:

I sit down on one of the empty seats, and my mind starts to wander.

We’ll stay in contact right? Jinyoung words pop up in my head, and I realized that we never exchanged any contact information. Trying not to yell in the subway, I bury my head into my bag, regretting that we didn’t exchanged our phone numbers. Idiot, I think to myself. I even replied saying we’ll stay in contact. What was I thinking. I will never hear the end of this from Hana. 

============

This chapter had quite a bit of dialogue, but hopefully you enjoyed the chapter~ It was hard trying to remember the details of the story, so if there are any plot holes please let me know..