Final

Preoccupied

 

Preoccupied.

 

It’s no secret that Yixing can be a bit, well, quite forgetful.

 

On an average day, it’s not unusual for the dancer to misplace at least 5 items, only for another member to find them in an uncanny spot. Zitao will never let him forget the time he find his cellphone in the ice cream tub.

 

Even with Yixing’s frequent memory lapses, that doesn’t stop him from being the most overly-romantic, sappy boyfriend. Yifan can’t count the number of times during the week he finds little gifts tucked into his sock drawer or between his beds sheets (which is not the place for a cupcake, he tells Yixing later as he does laundry). After long days of performing and signing autographs, Yixing makes it a habit to quietly slip into Yifan’s bed and wrap an arm around his waist.

 

So Yifan’s completely caught off-guard when Yixing starts avoiding him.

 

He doesn’t think much of it when it first starts. He’s used to waking up with his boyfriend wrapped around him, and when he wakes up alone, he’s quick (for his standards) to roll out of bed and go looking for him.

 

When he crosses in front of Yixing and Luhan’s room, he hears murmuring coming from within, and even at a whisper he can recognize Yixing’s voice. He shrugs to himself, thinking that Yixing tends to be very talkative in the morning, and Kris is notoriously known for not being sociable before the sun is up.

 

That day, Yixing spends most of his free time huddled in a corner with Luhan, whispering to each other. Yifan brushes it off as the two of them planning some sort of elaborate prank.

 

But after the fourth day of waking up alone, Yifan starts to worry.

 

It’s not that he’s questioning Yixing’s affection for him (yes, he is, but he’d never admit it, even to himself), but the dancer isn’t quite himself. Usually, when Yifan finds one of his lost belongings, Yixing reacts as if his life has been saved. He’d stare at the item in disbelief before almost tackling the older man and burying his head in his chest.

 

But when Yifan goes to return Yixing’s iPod, all he gets is an “Oh. Thanks” and the other man walks off without another word.

 

On the sixth day of being ignored, he attempts to confront Yixing in the most non-jealous way he can think of.

 

“You’ve been ignoring me. I don’t like it.”

 

Yixing looks from his bowl of congee with wide eyes. “Have I?”

 

Yifan momentarily closes his eyes to avoid rolling them and opens them again to see that Yixing has already turned away from him. “Yes, you have. Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah, of course, why wouldn’t it be?” Yixing is speaking quickly through a mouthful of congee. His pace has suddenly picked up, and he determinedly keeps his head down. “I’m late for a dance rehearsal with Jongin. See you later!” And with that, he’s half-running away out the door, leaving his shoes by the door.

 

Yifan doesn’t want to admit how much he misses spending all his free time with the absentminded man. No matter how much he grumbles about not having his bed to himself, it feels much too big without Yixing. He even misses the weird questions that Yixing asks in quick succession on the way to their performance venue.

 

His aura has quickly deflated from pissed off to upset. On the way to yet another venue to perform MAMA for the millionth time, he sits in front with the manager (pouting, as Jongdae will tell him later in broken Chinese) trying to tune out the whispering in the very back.

 

He tries his best to stop his mood from affecting his duties as an idol, but he can’t help but frown at the floor every time Yixing makes a funny quip that has the whole audience laughing. Because of the positioning of their line, he can’t even attempt to fake being happy with Yixing standing between him and the rest of the members.

 

After they’re done onstage and have changed out of their stage clothes, Luhan and Minseok bombard him an invitation to go shopping, and they insist that they need Yifan to go with them because of his ‘impeccable style’.

 

(Jongdae snorts at this. Zitao shoots him a look and says, “Oh, you understand that.")

 

Yifan looks over at Yixing for help; he knows how much Yifan hates going places with Luhan and Minseok because he usually ends up being the babysitter for the two oldest. But Yixing just sends him a bright smile and tells him to have fun. Before Yifan can protest, Yixing’s already out of the dressing room.

 

As predicted, Luhan and Minseok are much too lively for his liking. Every time the pair spots an article of clothing they like, Luhan slaps his back in excitement and Minseok almost pulls his arm out of its socket.

 

Repeat for two hours, and it’s not surprise that Yifan is pretty frustrated when he’s finally able to drag them back to the dorm. The oldest members quickly scurry away as soon as they pull off their shoes, which should be difficult with all the lights turned out and the only light source is from the candle on the dining room table.

 

Wait, what?

 

He takes a few long strides over to their kitchen table and takes in the red (ill-fitting) tablecloth and dishes and utensils that are set out for two. Upon closer observation, he realizes that the candle is actually a number ‘2’ candle left over from Luhan’s birthday party.

 

“Ah, I was hoping the food would be delivered before you got here.” Yifan spins around to see a coy Yixing looking up at him and rubbing the nape of his neck.

 

“What is this?” Yifan asks, gesturing at the table.

 

“Well, I’ve been trying to plan something really special for today, but the schedule didn’t really allow for it,” he pouts, looking down at his feet. “But I figured that we could just have dinner here with just us two, and Luhan and Minseokkie were helping me plan, and you know how bad I am at keeping secrets so I started avoiding you so I wouldn’t just tell you, and-“

 

“Xing! Calm down! It’s fine… I’m fine, but... what is this for?” he asks again.

 

Yixing quickly stops pouting and beams up at Yifan. “This day 3 years ago, you kissed me in a practice room and asked if I wanted to ‘hang around you and kiss and do other stuff regularly’.” Yifan mentally groans at his past self. “And I know you hate it when I ‘romance you like you’re a girl’, but I wanted to do something special for you since you took me on a surprise date for our last anniversary.”

 

And of course Yifan can’t be mad at his boyfriend for avoiding him. How could he when Yixing was hugging him tightly with his head buried in his chest?

 

“Happy anniversary,” Yixing mumbles into his shirt.

 

“Happy anniversary,” he replies.

...

...

...

Yifan doesn’t have the heart to tell him that their anniversary is next week.

 


 

Enjoy! Comment, sub, all those good things. ^^