01

Solo no more

                The bells tinkled as the doors opened. The cafe’s delicious aroma welcomed the boy and girl who had just walked in. The boy walked on ahead to the counter while the girl stood in her spot, breathing in the new smells. With a contented sigh, she joined the boy to choose a drink. They talked loudly and excitedly before they finally decided on their drinks.
                They sat down at one of the tables after getting their drinks. After a few minutes, the boy excused himself to the bathroom, complaining of stomach cramps. Crossing her arms, the girl took a look around the small shop. There were relatively few people inside enjoying their drinks and taking advantage of the air conditioner on a hot day like this. She briefly glanced at her phone for new messages and finding none, she took to drumming her fingers on the table as she sipped her drink. She looked across to find two boys seated near the windows conversing animatedly. One of the boys looked her way as he spoke and she immediately looked away as she retracted her hands from the table and folded them on her lap under the table.

                You sighed as you drummed your fingers against the table. You had persuaded your younger cousin to take you out for a treat as a welcome present and he had brought you to this neat little café. This was the first time in five years you had seen your cousin since your last visit to Korea. All your younger cousins had grown so much and you smiled in remembrance of their excited shouts and laughter when you met at the airport. Your thoughts wandered as you looked around the place and your eyes landed on two people seated across from you next to the windows. You in your breath sharply; the man – man-boy seemed to fit better, but oh well – of your dreams sat a few feet away, seemingly glowing in the stray sun rays shining through the window. You were surprised to find him here; you had estimated your chances of seeing him during your visit in Korea as less than five percent. But there he was, sitting in all his glory, sipping his coffee with his long, elegant legs crossed.
                Should I go up to him? Nah, I don’t want to disturb his conversation.
                But this may be the only time you’ll see him! It must be the will of the heavens! Get up you idiot.
                No, wait. Perhaps I shouldn’t. I don’t want him to think I’m a creep if I pounce on him and shower him with my affections..er, I mean ask for his autograph and a picture. I’ll probably make a fool of myself.
                Psh, fine, it’s your loss. ...Why do I even bother talk to myself?

                He looked up as he talked to whom you assumed to be a very good friend of his. You locked eyes with him for a split second before you hurriedly stared at the ceiling and folded your hands on your lap under the table.

                Today was TK’s off-day and he had planned to spend the whole day with his best bud Joon. They had been friends since middle school; their interests in music and dance had sparked their friendship. In the morning, the two ventured the streets of Seoul, mostly visiting the food stands on the street. As the sun rose higher into the sky, the duo looked for a place to escape from the heat. They found a nice café at a corner of a less-populated street. They ordered drinks and sat down at a table beside the window. The two shared stories and caught up with each others’ lives. After some time, TK casually glanced across the room and froze. He had locked eyes with a girl sitting a few tables away. She immediately looked away, but he continued to stare. The girl had slightly turned her head to the side when she had looked up at the ceiling, giving TK a nice view of her profile. From this distance, TK made out a small yet defined nose and pretty, pink lips. TK snapped out of his reverie only when Joon shook his shoulder.
                “Hey man, you alright? You look out of it.” Joon waved his hand in TK’s face. “Hello? Earth to Minwoo.” TK slowly turned his head to his friend. He looked dazed, but the look in his eyes puzzled Joon more than TK’s daze.
                “I…” TK didn’t finish his sentence but turned to look at the girl again, who was now looking down at her hands. Her hair hung over her face, blocking his view. Joon noticed the direction of TK’s gaze and turned his head toward that direction.
                He grinned and nudged TK, “Aww look, love at first sight!” Clearly embarrassed by Joon’s comment, TK lightly shoved Joon.
                “Sh-shut up! Keep your voice down, you idiot.” They looked at the girl again at the same time she looked up. TK and the girl both blushed and averted their eyes.
                Joon rolled his eyes and suggested, “Go talk to her.” Seeing how TK didn’t budge at all, Joon became irritated. “Don’t just sit there and gawk at her for god’s sake. Get her number or something! The choices are endless! You probably won’t ever see her again if you don’t make the first move!”
                TK looked alarmed and shook his head. “No way! What if she thinks I’m a creep or something?”
                Joon rolled his eyes again and replied, “Oh shut up. The way you two look at each other is enough for everyone to know that you should totally start something.” In order to egg TK into making a move, Joon coolly commented, “If you don’t do anything, I’m going to. I mean, hey, she’s pretty cute.”
                At that, TK promptly stood up. The girl eyed him hopefully as he stood there awkwardly. TK finally took a few steps when he froze. Exasperated, Joon was about to kick his over there when he noticed the guy that had sat down in front of the girl. TK and Joon were shocked, to put it mildly.

                After the eye contact, you looked everywhere but his table. When you finally glanced back at him, you were surprised to see him looking at you. Oh my god. Oh my god. Is there something on my face? Do I look weird? Did I creep him out the first time? WHY IS HE LOOKING AT ME?..Not that I mind.. Unsure of how to properly react, you blushed and looked away once more. You peeked at TK from the corners of your eyes and saw his friend about to rise when TK suddenly stood up. You watched him stand there for a moment before taking a few steps towards you. He was looking straight at you as he walked but suddenly halted. You heard the scraping of a chair’s legs on the ground and looked up amidst your slight confusion. Your cousin was finally back from the bathroom. You looked up at him incredulously. What. No. Are you kidding me? TK, of all people, TK! – was walking towards me and this kid butts in. Talk about bad timing!
                “Well, you sure took a while.”
                “Sorry nuna! I don’t know why, but my stomach was really killing me! It was fine earlier. And then I saw an old friend of mine and we chatted for a bit – we haven’t seen each other since middle school!”
                “Middle school for you was like two years ago.”
                “Nunaaa~”
                “Well go back and find him and talk to him! Or go back to the bathroom! I swear, you have the worst timing ever!”
                “What? Huh? Wait, what are you tal –”
                “JUST GO,” you hissed. You slightly nodded in TK’s direction, “Do you not assess the situation before barging in? Come back in ten minutes or something. PLEASE.”
                Your cousin glanced at TK, who was staring at him warily, and snorted. Rolling his eyes as he got up again, he answered, “I guess I have to go to the bathroom again.”

                You leaned forward on the table with your face hidden in your hands. You groaned inwardly; now there was no way TK was going to talk to you. Stupid freaking timing.. You heard a chair move and didn’t bother look up in annoyance. Your irritated expression changed into a surprised one when you heard TK’s deep voice instead of your cousin’s.
                “May I?...” TK awkwardly smiled at you, gesturing to the seat. You nodded with an air of uncertainty. He sat down and folded his hands on the table. You fiddled with the straw of your drink. TK glanced at the other drink in front of him and hesitantly spoke. “Um...from before, was he perhaps...your boy-”
                “Oh, no! He’s not my boyfriend, I swear.” You shook your head vigorously. “Um, he’s my cousin.”
                “Ah, um, okay...” His face pinked and he nervously fiddled with his fingers. You fidgeted with your earrings – a habit when you became nervous. There was a brief silence. TK was the one to break it first. “Uh...hi.” You smiled shyly and responded in a quiet voice. He then stuck his hand out and you lightly grasped it.
                “Uh, I’m, uh...I’m..”
                “”Lee Minwoo. TK.”
                “Oh, yeah...Have we met – you know me?”
                “Well, yeah. Of course! I mean, I love yo – er, C-Clown! You guys are amazing!” You were slightly flustered and hoped you wouldn’t seem incoherent.
                TK rubbed the back of his neck. “Thank you! Wow, I didn’t expect that you’d be a fan..” You both awkwardly laughed.
                After another brief silence, you blurted, “I saw you earlier and I wanted to ask for a signature and maybe even a photo, but I didn’t want to disturb you because you and your friend seemed so engaged. But, yeah...”
                Upon hearing that, TK’s eyes lit up as he thought of a brilliant idea. “I would love to take a picture with you! And sign for you!” He got up and walked to your side of the table. You held up your phone to take the picture but he took it and leaned in closer. As the camera focused, the two of you smiled brightly at the camera. TK didn’t get up, but instead, took another picture. This time, he held up a peace sign and you followed suit. After a few funny poses, both of you burst into laughter. TK held onto your phone saying, “Hang on, I want these pictures too!” He proceeded to send all of the pictures to his phone. You stared at him in amazement; if he sent the pictures to his phone, it would mean that he’d have your number, and you’d have his!
                TK had a cheeky grin on his face as he thanked you. He saved his number in your phone as a new contact: Handsome Lee Minwoo (a/n: idk, it sounds better in Korean: 멋쟁이 이민우). His cheeky grin turned into a bashful one as he looked at you. “I hope you don’t mind. I was hoping...we could get to know each other?” He trailed off tentatively and bit his bottom lip.
                You grinned delightedly. “That would be wonderful.”
                TK’s face broke into a huge smile that you thought was so endearing. You swooned inside but maintained your composure as he handed you your phone with another dazzling smile.
                “Thank you…I’m sorry, I don’t believe I got your name earlier.”
                “I’m Ari – Ari Kang.” (a/n: 아리, pronounced ah-ree) You played with your hair, tugging at the ends of the strands.
                “You have a pretty name.”
                You blushed and smiled up at him. “Thank you TK..Minwoo?”
                “You can just call me Minwoo.” He bit his lip and shyly grinned down at you.

                Minwoo returned to Joon after making sure he had gotten the girl’s name and that she had received an autograph. As he slid back into his seat, Joon immediately leaned forward and demanded, “Okay, lover boy. Give me all the details.”
                “Her name’s Ari.” Minwoo paused for a moment before repeating the girl’s name.
                “Ari.”
                He liked the familiar way it rolled off of his tongue.
                “Ari, Ari, Ari.”
                He smiled.
                Joon stared at his love struck friend and scoffed. “I believe I heard you the first time. I asked for details, not a repeat of her name.”
                “Um…we took pictures.”
                “No, really? Oh and I totally saw you two getting cozy during those pics, man.”
                “I thought I was going to die – my heart was going crazy. But like, yeah…I sent the pics to my phone. She didn’t mind; she just smiled at me. I thought my heart was going to burst.”
                “Getting her number, eh? You sly bastard.”
                “Sh-shut up.”
                “Well anyways, I guess you scored. Oh right! What was up with that dude earlier?”
                “He’s her cousin.”
                “What? Oh, good. If he were her boyfriend, I would’ve dragged your stupid back here.”
                Minwoo just sighed contentedly and took a sip of his coffee. He turned to look at Ari and saw that her cousin had come back. She was chatting with her cousin, but her bright smile caught Minwoo off guard and he swooned inside. Joon just stared at him, shaking his head and, smacked Minwoo on the back of his head.
                “Wake up, you love struck fool, we gotta get going now.”

                You giggled to yourself as you sipped your drink, dreamily thinking back on what just happened. You heard the scraping of a chair and looked up happily. Your cousin sat down, glancing at you and back at Minwoo.
                “So, am I allowed back now?”
                “Mhmm!”
                “Woah nuna, you’re so…cheery now. Thank goodness. I thought you were going to kick my earlier if I didn’t leave sooner.”
                You just grinned and lightly kicked his leg.
                “Are you gonna tell me what happened? After all, you did kick me out to talk to that guy.”
                “His name is Minwoo, not ‘that guy.’ He’s in a group I like.”
                “Yeah, sure, nuna. Totally.”
                “I’m not lying! Jeez, you butthead. Well anyways, we took pictures and he gave me his autograph! And…he gave me his number.”
                Your cousin raised his eyebrows and teased you, “Really now? Woah nuna, gettin’ all the guys, eh? Well you sure did a lot in ten minutes.”
                You rolled your eyes in response.
                “Anyways, we should get going now. Mom said to be back soon so that we can go somewhere for lunch or dinner or something.”

                You and your cousin stood up to leave, just as Joon and Minwoo passed by. Minwoo glanced at you, but your attention was on your phone.
                You looked up to push the door open only to find Minwoo smiling and courteously holding the door open for you. You thanked him with a smile and a nod. “It was wonderful meeting you today.”
                “Oh no, the pleasure was all mine.”

                The two pairs split up and walked in opposite directions.
                As you walked, you slung your arm over your cousin’s shoulder and sang, “Thank you for bringing me here todayyyy!” You laughed and squeezed his cheeks. “Such a cute, little dongseng.”
                He scowled and slapped your hands away, retorting, “Nuna, I’m taller than you. And I’m not cute. I’m just awesome, duh.”
                You only laughed in response and agreed.
                “But in all seriousness, you owe me a big one – I let you meet your future husband.”
                Your face reddened but you brushed it off with a laugh and smacked the back of his head. You turned to look at Minwoo’s retreating back, only to jump and turn back around when he turned around to look at you too. Your cousin saw you glancing over your shoulder several times and rolled his eyes.

                Minwoo was in high spirits as he and Joon conversed. He turned his head a few times to glance at Ari. Joon noticed his movements and scoffed.

                Your cousin glanced over his shoulder.
                Joon glanced over his shoulder.
                The two met each other’s glances. They rolled their eyes and shook their heads.

                Later in the evening, your phone buzzed with a notification. You rolled over on the floor to reach your phone and casually unlocked it to find a new text message. A smile lit your face when you saw the sender of the text.

                Hey! How was your day? :)
                -Handsome Lee Minwoo

                You squealed aloud and your cousin stared you, mouth agape. You ignored him and quickly typed a reply.

                Hi~
                My day was absolutely wonderful.^^
                - Ari Kang

                Glad to hear that :)
                What was the best part of your absolutely wonderful day?
                -Handsome Lee Minwoo

                You paused a moment before honestly answering.

                To be honest…meeting you was definitely the best part.
                - Ari Kang

                Minwoo rolled around on the floor of the dorm's living room in bliss. Rome walked into the living room and stopped and stared at the second youngest who was still rolling around. Rome had come to call the members for dinner, but momentarily forgot what he had come to do.
                “Uh, Minwoo, are you cleaning the floor? What’s up, man?”
                Minwoo looked up at Rome and nearly shouted in his happiness, “Hyung! Everything is absolutely wonderful!~”
                Rome scratched his head and shrugged. “Well, dinner’s ready. I’mma call the rest.”
                Minwoo continued to roll around and kick his legs in the air.

                You nervously stared at the screen, waiting for his reply. After what felt like an agonizing few minutes, your phone buzzed. You stared at the message in a mixture of surprise, relief, and bliss.

                I can’t deny that meeting you was also the highlight of my day.
                …
                ..
                To be honest…I couldn’t stop thinking about you.
                -Handsome Lee Minwoo

                You squealed again and started rolling around on the floor. Your cousin just stared at you and shook his head, knowing that the text was probably from that Minwoo guy.
                “Dinner’s almost ready! Son, come set the table!”
                Your cousin looked at you and shook his head once more before leaving.

                You held your phone to your chest and sighed dreamily.
                Today was definitely, by far, the best day of your life.


Yay I finished! I think I'm pleased with the outcome. I should finish my other story now...
I have a draft for another B.A.P oneshot but I'm not sure if I'll finish it soon. I'm graduating in 10 days and the rest of my finals are this week.
You'll see them up by the end of May/June though.

Thanks for reading~ Comment&subscribe if you'd like. :)