Today, It's All About You

For My Mother
 
 
 
[HyukJae POV]
 

Here I am, sitting in a Karaoke booth with a large number of friends on this Saturday night, listening to the worst singing I've probably ever heard in my entire life.

Just now is when I finally notice exactly how big of dorks my friends are. . . I slowly shake my head and let a smile creep across my face. I feel like staying just a bit longer, but I know I can't. I just can't get the thought out of my head, so I know I must be excited.

"I have to go, guys." I suddenly say, getting up. It's about 11:20p.m already. Yeah, I have to go.

"Waaeee?!" They all whine.

"It was just about to get REAL in here! Look at the song I've chosen to sing next!" cried my extremely close best friend, Donghae.

"Well, I'm not going to deny that that isn't an amazing song," I said, referring to the song Gulliver by Super Junior, "But I really have to go. Tomorrow's Mother's Day!"

Silence. . . . . . . . .  Chaos.

"Oh, my Freakin' GOD! I completely forgot!" screamed Yunho, hurriedly gathering all of his things.

"Crap! I'm leaving too!" chirped Shindong.

"I've gotta go shopping, like, right now!" cried Leeteuk.

"Ughh, I can't believe I forgot!" yelled Donghae, giving me a quick hug and peck on the cheek as his way of saying goodbye. I smirk at him, And he says he's 100% straight, I laugh.

Every one of my friends disperse with amazing speed. Only I remain, fairly calm. Smart as I am, I'd already planned everything out. The last of the things I need to do tonight is shop for a few presents I plan to give to my beloved mother.

 

[Next Morning]

I gently wake her with the slight shake of my hand, no bouncing around crazily on her bed today. My other hand is placed carefully behind my back with the first surprise of the day.

Sleepily, she wakes from whatever dream she was having, rubbing the sleep from her eyes before pulling a slow smile across her tired face.

"What's that you're holding so secretly behind your back?" she asks quietly with a chuckle. Her eyebrow arches in her usually playful manner.

I grin and present the as-perfectly-as-I-could-make-it omelet to her with a flare of my hand. She giggles. I made sure to use many tiny heart candies to make a huge heart on top of the omelet, knowing she wouldn't eat the candies since it's morning.

She finishes the omelet with a huge smile on her face. "Thank you, Sweetie." she says, "It was honestly delicious." She washed it down with the water I'd given her a little later.

"You don't have to lie, you know."

"I said honestly." she stated, defiantly. I beamed at her, happy she liked it. Wasting no more time I tell her to go shower, brush her teeth, and get ready fast.

"I have somewhere to take you." I say.

"Where to?" She's curious.

"It's a secret! Now hurry, hurry!" I push her toward her bathroom. What she didn't know was that I already had her bags packed, and everything for the rest of the day was already set to go. I felt myself being way more excited than I ever was about going to school.

Finally, she comes out of the bathroom, dressed and it seems, completely ready; and I'm hopping around like a bunny on steroids, paranoid that we'll be late.

"Come on, come on. Hurry! We'll miss our flight!!" I bellow, grabbing her hand and pulling her down the stairs to collect her shoes, purse, keys, and anything else she could grab before I dragged her through the door.

"Flight?" She asked when settled into the passenger seat of the car.

"Yes, flight." I exclaim, out of breath, "Don't ask anymore, because I won't tell you!"

"What's your father going to say about this?!" she asked anyway. But I ignored her. I was having too much fun, although my flight-time anxieties where on overdrive.

I drove like a bat out of hell to make it to the airport in time for our flight, which we did, like 30 minutes early. . . I worry too much. We managed to kill time by going to the souvenir shops inside and buying something to remember this day buy. Finally, it was time to board the plane... and mom was still asking questions.

"Where are we going?" Finding our seats.   "How much did this cost?" Sitting down.   "What are we doing today?" Plane takes off.

Long flight. . . .

 

We land about an hour or two later, quickly going to collect our luggage before they got 'lost'.

My mother looks around and takes one huge breath which she lets out with an overly loud, "JEJU ISLAND!??" I laugh at her, nodding my head, happy at how excited she could get sometimes.

"Come with me." I say. I pull her outside to the car I'd already rented to drive around the entire day. I quickly put our bags and things inside, usher her in, get in myself, and speed away. I think it's impossible for me to drive slow, actually.

I stop outside of a large and beautifully decorated plaza called, PLAZA. . . . Very creative. I point to a builiding on the east side of the plaza, "We're going there first." I tell her, then pull her along.

It's a beauty salon with almost everything imaginable inside. Heaven for any female. I smile to myself, I think I've done a good job thus far.

I lead my mom to the far side of the huge builiding, the hair salon in the back that was away from all of the loud noises around. This place was truly relaxing.

"So, Ma'am. What do you like done?" asked the friendly hair stylist.

"Uhmm. . . . Anything basically as long as I dont end up bald. . . ." I laughed. She always had that amazing sense of humour.

"No problem," said the hair stylist, chuckling, "but how about I give you a nice perm, trim your tips, and curl?" she suggested.

My mom agreed with the smile I loved so much to see. I watched as she had her hair washed, dried, straightened, trimmed, then curled.

"All done!" the hairstylist exclaimed, swiveling my mom around to show her the finished product. A grin spread itself slowly across my mother's face before she beamed and issued a very genuine, "Thank you!" toward the woman she'd been told to call Yuri.

"No. Thank you!" Yuri said. "Have a nice day you two, and don't forget to treat your mom to something else sweet!" she added, pointing at me.  "Already planning on it!" I yelled back, making my way towards the west side of the building.

"Next, the nail salon." I present loudly, proud of myself.

Once again, my mother is ushered inside and sat down gently on a chair where a woman sits across from her and professionally takes her hand, and her shoes are slipped off and her feet are placed in warm water. Oh yeah, this place also does foot massages.

For the third time today, my mother gives me one of those smiles that show all of her happy teeth. My gummy smile can't contain itself as it pushes through to greet my mom's. We continue smiling as the nail stylist, designer, lady files down her nails and paints expertly defined black swirls on each finger that had already been painted a deep red. I watch my mother's eyes light up in awe at the beauty in which her nails looked right then. Next, her toes were done the exact same way, after of couse, her foot massage was finished. She'd said it felt like she'd gone to heaven and back. I'd laughed again.

Finally escaping the plaza called PLAZA, I drove her to the Ginormous shopping mall that I'd found the day before on the internet. Inside, we traveled to almost every store, every booth, every free sample table (because I like those, ALOT). I literally find my self buying everything I see my mom look at or touch for more than 10 seconds at a time.

"Stop spending so much money on me!" she scolds me. "This was more than enough already." She points to the 7 full bags I'm currently lugging around.

"I'm willing to spend every dime I have on me. Because today is your day." I say. And I mean it. The last thing we buy is the thing she changes into. I get her a white floppy sun hat with an extremely, unneccessarily, huge flower attached to the side. It's beautiful, so it's okay. She's wearing a long, red and white sundress with black sandals that shows just how beautiful she is with her newly done hair and nails.

I silently pray she's enjoying this day as much as I am.

Shortly after, now being 2 o'clock, I take her out to eat lunch somewhere that wasn't too shabby, but not overly expensive. Somewhere nice. Dinnertime was the real surpise. She eats crab legs, her favorite, and samples all the other things I ordered on the table for her.

Once well fed, I take her to the park. Since my schedule (school) is always taking up my entire Freakin' LIFE! I want to walk through the park with her, hand in hand, swinging back and forth, like we used to when I was younger. While walking, I sing her a super happy, yet dorky, cheesy Mother's Day song that I come up with right on the spot. It seriously , but she insists that she loves it anyway.

"Stay here, Mom." I suddenly say after my terrible song. "I'll be right back." I take off toward the car and come back with 2 little bags in my hands. I lead her to a bench and commence to taking out  my little surprises which I give all to her.

Out of the first bag she takes a small bracelet that sparkles a happy "#1 MOM!" on the charm. She smiles and thanks me. The next bag contains a book sized picture frame with a photo of me and her smiling so broadly that wrinkles form at the corners of both of our eyes. We showed our 'V' signs in the picture; so we did the same just now to eachother, laughing at our dorkiness.

"Turn it over," I say. She does and smiles happily as she reads what's written. "When God blesses you with a Mother, accept her, 'cause she's the only real one you've got. Take hold of her hand, and never let go."

"Thank you, Sooo, Soooooo Much, Sweatheart. I'll treasure this forever." She scoots on the bench to give me one of her tight, most appreciative hugs ever. These hugs I love the most. I'm surprised to evem find a tear in her eye, although it doesn't fall. You see, my mom's not much of a cryer, but I'm glad I can tell just how grateful she is.

"Alright," I say after pulling back from the hug. "There's just one more stop!" I help clean up the area, and then we're gone, headed for the next destination.

 

"The beach! I love the beach!" she exclaims, kicking her feet in the sand as we walk. I laugh at how young she looks when she's excited about something. It'd taken up about an hour to get there, through all of the traffic and such. Now it was around 5:15p.m and the sun was setting early today. We killed more time finding and picking sea shells off the shore, running in and out of the water up to our ankles, and builidng sand castles. Well I built sand castles.

Finally, it got dark about an hour later and I smiled wide and proud to myself, having spent my entire day with my dear, dear mother.

"How about we go up there?" I asked her, pointing to a place up on the tall hill. It was a beach house, lit up brightly by flickering flames. A bon fire?

"Sure." she replied shortly, seemingly tired. I took my mom's hand again and pulled her towards the house. Upon arriving, the smell hit our noses first. It was so delicious, so devine it could make even a whale's mouth water. Then, the music followed, a slow rhythm, steady pulse, a strong voice bellowing out lyrics so heart felt it'd make even a skeleton shiver. By this time, I'd on pushed my mom's back gently, allowing her to walk ahead of me.

She walked slow, not exactly sure what was supposed to be happening. She looked back at me, confusion stuck on her face. I only smiled at her and pointed past her. She whipped her head around, wondering what was there.

My father walked out with a HUGE bouquet of flowers, so many colors and roses danced around the bouquet, making it romantic and cheerful at the same time.

My mother gasped at the surprise. She hadn't seen dad the entire day, and I could tell on her face that she'd been worried, but she wouldn't let me know.

"You did all of this?" she asked, eyeing the incredible display.

"Only for you." he said sensually, as he wrapped his arm around her and planting a kiss on her lips after giving her the bouquet.

"Thank you, thank you both!" she exclaimed, walking quickly to me, giving me a light peck on the cheek. There were tears in her eyes again, but of course they failed to fall.

I waved to my parents as they sat down to enjoy their candle lit meal under the glistening of millions of stars.

"Happy Mother's Day." I said softly with a smile as I walked away under the pleasantly lit sky.