Shadow

Moving On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Theme Song: Shadow by f(x)

By the time Krystal graduated from her high school in America, she packed her belongings to visit her beloved cousin in Seoul. It’s been 3 years since the last time they met and she couldn’t help missing him and his family; therefore, throughout the time she studied in high school, she worked part-time to earn a little money so she could pay for the flight ticket and her living expense there.

As soon as her plane landed and she walked out the terminal entrance, she was warmly welcomed by Byunghee – her cousin and his girlfriend. The elder guy gave her a bone crushing hug while his lover was friendly smiling with her.

“You are still skinny as ever, Krystal” told Byunghee releasing her to ruffle her head.

“I just couldn’t get weight. It’s not like I want though” she defended, lifting her glasses up a little after it being misplaced because of the hug.

“Let me introduce to you. She is my girlfriend, Lee Yejin. We dated for 2 years now” her cousin said excitedly before turning to his lover “And she is my cousin, her name is Krystal. She just graduated from high school”

“Nice to meet you, Krystal. You can call me Amy since I lived in the States when I was younger as well” said Yejin extending her hand enthusiastically for a shake “I often hear Byunghee oppa talking about you”

“It’s nice to meet you, too” the younger girl told as she awkwardly shook hands. Krystal was shy and she has been bullied because of her nerdy appearance so she becomes tense when there are strangers.

“Relax, Krystal. She won’t eat you, you know” teased Byunghee patting her shoulder in assurance before taking her luggage “Let’s go home first. Appa and umma are waiting for you, too”

“I miss them, too” the younger said with a smile as she followed the couple to their car.

“Where do you wanna sit?” asked Yejin standing next to her as her boyfriend was putting the luggage into the car ---

“I will take the backseat. So you just go ahead and sit with oppa in the front” said Krystal shortly before she got in the car.

“Then I’ll sit with you in the back, too” the girlfriend friendly said as she got in the car as well which kinda surprised the younger girl.

“Okay” and then silence until the guy settled down in his driver seat. During the drive, Yejin tried to converse with the shy girl but she just answered shortly so it’s difficult to get closer to her. However, since she is friendly, she didn’t give up at all.

The dinner was full of laughters and they talked about everything. Not until it’s time to wash up did Yejin have some space alone with Krystal, she tried to start a conversation again with the other girl. “Have you think about studying in university?”

“Neh”

“How about enter the same university with us?” the girlfriend suggested straightforward and once again it startled the younger.

“Why? I never think about it”

“You aren’t talkative or is it because of my presence?” asked Yejin with a little sadness in her voice.

“Ani. You are nice and all. Uncle and auntie also adore you” denied Krystal shaking her head.

“I want to be your friend when you’re still here so let’s hang out sometimes, neh?” the elder said smiling brightly.

“Waeyo? Why are you trying to get close to me? People will think you weird if you come near a nerd like me”

“Nah, I don’t care. From what oppa told me, I think you are a nice girl. And to me, a beautiful heart is much better than pretty look” quoted Yejin with a wink and her words somehow warmed the younger’s heart.

“You are so nice, Yejin-ssi” Krystal smiled a little.

“Don’t be formal with me. It sounds distant, just call me unnie is fine” Yejin told with his pleading eyes and the younger couldn’t refuse. The two girls became closer since then and they even teased Byunghee together by speaking English in front of him since he at foreign language.

@_____________________________@

“Was there a guest? I heard a strange voice earlier” asked Krystal as she walked downstairs toward her cousin.

“Oh, Yunho just passed by” replied Byunghee casually as he watched TV.

“Yunho? Who is he?” the girl questioned curiously.

“You are curious? It’s weird, Krystal” the cousin , chuckling.

“No”

“Really? Then don’t ask” Byunghee snapped.

“His laugh is exaggerated. It sounds like as if it was in cartoon. Is he working in dubbing studio or something?” commented Krystal flatly.  

“No, he is one of my close friends” her relative laughed heartedly at her word “Why didn’t you come down earlier? I can introduce you two”

“No, thanks. Let me pass. It’d be awkward if I meet him. You know how I am when there is stranger” the girl told.

“But you’re with Yejin just fine” persuaded her cousin sincerely “Yunho is very nice and friendly. Why don't you meet him just once? You should make more friends, Krystal”

“Thank you, oppa but I’m fine on my own. I’ll return to the States soon so I don't need any more friends here” the younger refused politely.

“Well, if you say so” the cousin gave in since he knew how stubborn Krystal is.

Although she said that she wasn't interested, she couldn’t stop thinking about the guy named Yunho with his unique laughter. Whenever she recalled the sound from his laugh, she couldn’t help smiling along. As it’s summer break, Yunho often visited Byunghee’s house to hang out with his friend but never once he came when there was Yejin.

“Your friend came again” said Krystal out of blue as she stepped out of the kitchen with a bottle of water.

“Oh, Yunho borrowed me some books” answered Byunghee blankly as he ate his snack.

“It’s weird that he never come here when Yejin visits. Waeyo?” the cousin questioned curiously

“Well, I inform him if Yejin goes here so he avoid to come in the same time”   

“Why? They are not in good term?” added Krystal sitting next to Byunghee.

“Not that. It’s because Yunho said he didn’t want to be the third wheel when Yejin and I are together. Besides, don't you think it’s offensive to act lovey dovey in front of a single guy?” he explained clearly.

“He is single? Are you sure that he doesn't have anything toward you? If I didn’t know that you dated Yejin unnie,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter