Chapter 2

Another Heart Calls
Please log in to read the full chapter

DongHae POV

Glistening bright rays of sunlight found their way through my thin curtains and brightened my small but cozy apartment a little bit up. The light was a bit too bright for my taste, as the brightness was even visible through my closed eyes. Grumbling, I turned myself to the other site and pulled my blanket over my head. I didn’t want to get up yet. Sleep seemed to be a much better option at this moment.

I quickly pulled the fleecy blanket tighter around me. Pleasant warmth embraced my body and made me sigh blissfully. The darkness had me back again and hopefully would lead me back to my dreamland soon. The only place, where he is waiting for me. The only place, where he still can wait for me.


In my mind various items and a place began to appear. I immediately recognized the slightly hidden spot in the library, of our university, where he often had gone to, after a long and tiring day in the classroom. In fact, he sat there right now too and read in that darned book with which he was struggling for almost a year. Intensely he stared at the pages in front of him and created deep wrinkles in his forehead. His lips silently formed the words he was reading right now.

Seeing him like this let a weak smile creep onto my face. I could feel how the tears were swelling up within me just by his mere sight. With big effort I tried to keep my breathing steady so that the tears won’t appear and find their way from my eyes down my cheeks. I didn’t succeed.
I felt the cold wet slowly slid down on my cheek. I quickly wiped the tears away with my sleeve and took a hesitant step toward him.

When he heard my halting steps, he looked up from his book and stared in my direction. He gave me a big smile, but when his eyes met mine, it instantly vanished from his face. Without hesitation he closed his book, got up and rushed to me.
"What's the matter?", he asked softly while my cheek gently with his hand.
This gesture alone broke the camel’s back. I wasn’t able to hold back anymore.

My legs gave in. I would have fallen to the hard ground beneath me if he hadn’t caught me. Gently, he let me slide down to the floor and sat down besides. He moved closer to me, clueless about my sudden behavior and took me in his arms. His sudden closeness only made things worse. I tightly clung on his shirt and buried my head in his chest. Tears streamed down on my cheeks and dripped mercilessly into the bright yellow fabric of his shirt.
"Hae-yah, what's wrong? Was there something wrong with the essay you had to turn in today?", he worriedly asked and tried to calm me down a bit while making slow circular motions on my back.

Slowly I shook my head and sobbed again. More tears found their way down my cheek, leaving a soaking wet spot on his shirt.
"Hae-yah...", he began, but left his sentence unfinished.
Carefully he pulled me closer to him. I took a chance and immediately clung more closely onto him. I never wanted to let him go again. I had missed the feeling of being in his arms too much.

A sudden sob made me listen attentively. Was he crying too?
With watery eyes, I looked up at him, but he was not sad. Instead of sadness I noticed concern and confusion in his eyes.
"Hyuk-ah...", I began, but another sobbing sound made me pause again.
He didn’t seem to hear nor cause the noise. His eyes were fixed on me. When he noticed that I looked up to him, he began to smile slightly. He leaned down to me and gave me a gentle kiss on my forehead. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the feeling of his soft lips on my skin. I felt how he leaned down to my ear and whispered those three words to me which I had so longed to hear again for weeks.


"I love you"


Again there was a quiet sobbing sound that came to my ears. I slowly opened my eyes. My heart clenched painfully when I realized that everything just had been a dream. I stared sadly into the darkness under my blanket. It would have been too good to be true. Someone sobbed again.

Carefully I lifted the blanket a little bit up and peered through the small gaps that where formed between the mattress and the blanket. Everything seemed to be as usual. I just wanted to drop the blanket again to go back to my dreamland when I discovered a large pile of clothes in the middle of the room. This pile had not been there yesterday. Or has it?

While I observed the pile, I suddenly noticed how it slightly shivered. I quickly blinked a few times to reassure myself that I didn’t imagine things. The pile really did move slightly back and forth. When the pile of clothes suddenly moved clearly to it’s left, panic overcame me.

I quickly jumped out of my bed and took the next best to hand, that could be used as a weapon; my alarm clock.
Warily I went, armed with the ticking thing, towards the still trembling pile. Another sob was heard and I started to realize that the noise was emanated from that pile of clothes. It somehow sounded... human.
I shivered.

I swallowed loudly and gathered up my courage. I quickly took a few steps toward the pile to lift the upper blanket up a little to see what was hiding under it. I just wanted to grab after the blanket when the trembling thing moved again. Startled by the sudden movement, I stepped backwards and fell on the floor. I felt how my foot got caught in the blanket that was lying to my feet. The grip around my alarm clock loosened up and let the ticking thing fly through the air and hit the nearest wall with a loud bang.

While I fell, I had closed my eyes shut. I opened them a little bit again to see if the thing under the pile had noticed me. Immediately I widened my eyes when I realized that there had been a person hiding under those moving blankets.

The young man had medium blue hair and very white skin. He looked thin and fragile. This impression was reinforced by his moist glittering eyes. Tears ran down his cheeks and left moon-shaped marks on the cold wooden floor. Because of the many tears he had already cried his eyes were completely swollen and red. His nose had a slight red veil as well.
I looked at the stranger's face, but I couldn't remember to have seen this young man before. Little by little the memories of the previous evening came back to me.

I quickly stood up and walked up to the man in front of me. The man observed my action with fearful eyes and tried to pull himself over the floor by using his arms. Surprised, I stopped walking and stared at him. The young man still tried to pull himself away from me. What astonished me the most was that he didn't use his legs at all. Was he hurt that badly yesterday that he can't use his legs now?

Without hesitation, I went up to him and stood in his way. He looked at me with fear full eyes before he turned away. Out of fear his whole body began to shake harder. However he didn't run away from me this time.

I slowly bent my knees to be on eye level with him. I gave him the friendliest smile I could create in this situation and held out my hand. With wide eyes, the young man stared at my hand, but he didn't attempt to shake it.

"I found you on the beach yesterday. I'm DongHae", I introduced myself to him, but the young man just stared at me with big eyes.
When the stranger made no attempt to introduce himself, I asked him for his name, but in response he just put his head to the side interrogatorily. Doesn't he understand my question?

I pulled my still outstretched hand slowly back as he still didn't seem to be interested in greeting me. His curious eyes followed my movement and remained on my hand. Uneasy weighed the stranger his head back and forth before he took his eyes away from my hands to look at me.

"Can you understand me?", I asked, but I got no response from him again.
His eyes curiously wandered over my face. He even leaned further towards me to take a better look. After a while he let his eyes wander from my face to the rest of my body. He kept eying me up and down until his gaze got again stuck on the hand; I had stretched out for him a few seconds ago.

Carefully, he leaned even farther towards me. Suddenly he lost his balance and threatened to fall on the floor. I reacted immediately and managed to catch him just in time.
"Saved by the bell", I said with a smile and helped him sit up again.

A shy smile slowly formed itself on his face. I was enchanted. Those full lips. That perfect form. I rarely had seen such a beautiful smile before. Sadly, the moment in which I could enjoy his beautiful smile, went by way to fast.
Immediately the stranger tried to move closer to me, but again he had his problems with the force of gravity. Once again I saved him from falling to the floor. I was once more greeted by big eyes but this time the fear seemed to have disappeared. While I still was helping him to sit upright he started to lean his face closer to mine. He tilted his head slowly. Does he want to...?

My eyes widened in horror. Does the stranger really intend to kiss me right now? We hardly knew each other. Why should he...
I held him further away from me, but the blue haired man didn't want to give up that easy. When he started using his hands for help, I collapsed under his weight. I hit my head hard on the ground which let little colored stars appear in front of my eyes.

The stranger, who fell with me, was lying on me. His head rested on my chest. He was breathing fast. His warm breath penetrated the fine fabric of my shirt and streaked my skin. An overwhelming feeling... and yet it felt wrong. I had to get up and as far away as possible from this man immediately.

I tried to get up, but the weight of his upper body lying on me made it difficult to do so. The stranger used this to his advantage and immediately tried to pull himself even closer to me. My heart was pounding wildly against my chest.
Desperately I tried to push him off of me, but it had no use. The young man pulled himself closer and closer . It didn't take him long to be on eye level with me.
I stared up at him anxiously. He didn't seem to notice my fear at all. Or was he simply ignoring it? Again he tilted his head and looked at me with big innocent eyes. I swallowed loudly and closed my eyes. I couldn't and wouldn't watch him kiss me.
I expected to feel him press his lips on mine, but I felt something completely different.

A slight pressure on my forehead made me open my eyes again. To my surprise I saw that he leaned his forehead against mine. His eyes were closed and looked completely relaxed. His breathing had slowed down. I felt the warm air he uttered my skin. I was not comfortable with this. He was too close for comfort. This had to stop. Now!

I wanted to use my hands to push him off of me, but something inside of me stopped me from doing so. The young man also raised his hands now and put the

Please log in to read the full chapter