Part I.

My Next Door Best Friend

Kim Chan Yoon was always a girl that would have been seen as the girl next door type of girl. Over the past few years, she has been seeing her best friend as more than a friend. More than a brother. But she knew that the chances of him ever seeing her as more than a friend were slim. She wasn’t sure why he never even had eyes for her. And she really missed the days that they would be holding hands and running around everywhere.

FLASHBACK

“ChanChan! Where are you? You win! You’re the best hider to play hide and seek ever!” a young chubby cheeked boy said, calling out to his best friend. He ran to the monkey bars to see if she was there and she wasn’t. He then ran to the swings. Not there either. The final place he checked was the jungle gym and there he found a small girl who had her hair in pigtails.

The girl looked at him and smiled. “So you admit that I’m the best hide and seek player in the world, Sungmin oppa?” she asked. She crawled out and Sungmin held his hand out to help her up. She gladly took it and grinned. “Oppa… we’ll be best friends forever, right?”

Sungmin nodded. “Yes ChanChan! We will! And I want to be with you when we’re older and have kids with you!” he said.

Chan Yoon looked at Sungmin with wide eyes. She didn’t know what to say to him but she kissed him on the cheek, let go of his hand and ran away, indicating that she wanted to play tag now.

END OF FLASHBACK

Chan Yoon walked over to an empty table and sat down, eating her lunch. She was now a university student and she rarely got to see Sungmin. There were times that she was able to see him and send time with him but he seemed as if his mind was somewhere else… especially when there was a girl that he liked was around. That day, Chan Yoon was sitting alone. Sungmin wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Probably talking to his girlfriend. Chan Yoon didn’t even remember her name. She had lost track of the names of his girlfriends for the past few months.

A sigh escaped her lips as she ate her turkey sandwich. “Sungmin oppa… would you ever have eyes for me…?” she mumbled to herself. Then she felt someone touch her shoulder.

She jumped at the contact and saw that it was Lee Hyukjae and Lee Donghae. They were best friends ever since they were little and the two best friends were practically inseparable. In a way, Chan Yoon envied her two friends.

“ChanChan-ah… what’s wrong?” Hyukjae asked. He had heard her sighing and it wasn’t a dreamy sigh that they normally hear from the girl. He tried to dance around to make her smile but it wasn’t working.

Donghae tilted his head and sat next to her. “Is it about Sungmin-hyung?” he asked. Although both him and Hyukjae were new friends to Chan Yoon, they have gotten to know her throughout high school and now all four of them were going to the same university. The Mokpo boy smiled at Chan Yoon, trying to get her to smile as well. Unfortunately for him, it didn’t work. “It is him isn’t it?” he asked.

Chan Yoon nodded. “Hyukjae oppa… Donghae oppa… I don’t know why he doesn’t come to look at me. I’ve been there for him when a girl leaves him. And he even said that he’d…” she paused. She didn’t want to tell them the childish promise that he had with her when they were still children.

“Why did you never ask him out?” Hyukjae asked. He was well aware of her feelings for Sungmin.

Quickly, Chan Yoon shook her head and sighed once again. “I think I’ll just forget about my feelings for him, oppas. I held on this crush for too long… I guess I’ll only be seen as a best friend to him rather than anything more….” She got up and left to go to her class.

The two best friends looked at each other, exchanging a worried look. “Hyung, I think we should help her and Sungmin hyung get together,” Donghae said. “I can’t stand seeing her this sad. Remember the stories we heard of their childhood… it’s like ours… and her holding onto her love for him for this long… I hate to see her give up on him now…” The boy couldn’t even eat his lunch because he was upset seeing her sad.

Hyukjae nodded. “It won’t be long until Sungmin hyung and his current girlfriend break up anyway… because she’s right there with another guy…” he said, pointing to a blonde haired girl with dark brown roots, hugging and kissing a person that isn’t Sungmin.