I'm sorry

I'm sorry

I make my way to his home with my head dunked between my shoulders. Really, this situation is so messed up. I make my way to Junhong's house and honestly, I'm not so thrilled about seeing him after not speaking with him for three days.

This is really so messed up.

It's not like Junhong won't forgive me. He's too much of a kid to not forgive his best friend. But there's something inside me that's pushing in the guilt and nullifying all other common sense.

Or maybe it's just because I know that I don't deserve Junhong's forgiveness.

I knock on the door and his mom answers. She embraces me tight as she walks me in. She's always loved me; she said I was the one girl that Junhong actually talks about at home at dinner.

Well I am his best friend.

"Excuse me Mrs. Choi, is Jungong home?"

She smiles at me and nods. "Do you happen to know what happened to Junhong? He's been really silent lately and he isn't coming out of his room except for meals."

I gulp. It's more messed up than I think. I force a smile and say, "I'll try to talk to him."

She nods and I can see the worry etched on her face. "Please do talk to him. Thank you."

I reach the door of his room and I give her a sad smile. I knock on the door and say, "Junhong, it's me."

The door opens and he peeks out. "What are you doing here?"

I bite my lip. "I can wait at the garden. Your mom's worried about you."

Shaking his head he opens the door wider and lets me in. His room is just like how it was when we were younger. There are numerous posters on the walls and on the ceiling. His desk is full of papers that are mostly filled with school stuff. I gulp when I see his broken skateboard at the corner.

"Well... what are you doing here?" He asks again, coldly.He

I gulp again. This is so messed up. "I came here to say that... I'm sorry. I'm really sorry Junhong."


I was walking along the sidewalk then and Junhong, who was on his skateboard as always, was beside me. We were heading home and passing through the playground where a mass of children gathered to play the afternoon away.

"Can I copy your notes in Physics?" I asked him. "I fell asleep when the teacher started writing," I added a bit sheepishly.

He nodded and took out his notebook and handed it to me. He yawned a bit and asked, "Are you making dinner at your house?"

Nodding, I asked, "Why?"

"No one's home to cook for me..." he sulked. He knows that I can't resist him when he pulls out that sulking act.

I shook my head and sighed. "Seriously, you need to learn to cook pasta by yourself."

"I know how to," he said as he skated in front of me and made me walk a bit slower. "It just doesn't taste as good as your cooking."

I sighed and said, "Alright fine."

He did a little exhibition with his skateboard and I'm too used to his displays to even think of him stumbling.

I stopped by the playground and watched the kids playing for a bit. "Hey, Junhong," I called.

He stopped and turned to me. "Yeah?"

"Do you remember when you landed on your face after flying out of that slide?" I asked him as I pointed to the slide that one little girl was playing on.

"You were crying then," he retorted easily.

Blushing, I denied it hotly, "No I didn't. I was just so terrified of your face!"

"So you did cry," he said with a smirk.

"Whatever Junhong," I said in English.

He'd always been so jealous of my nearly perfect English accent so he pouted there and then.

Then I heard the kids shouting as a ball flew past my head, missing it by a few inches.

I turned to it and saw that it rolled to the street. The kid who probably owns the ball or threw it came running to the playground boundaries. I pat his head and pull him back to the playground. "I'll get it for you. Wait for me here okay?"

The kid nodded and I stepped towards the street but then Junhong held me by my shoulder. He had a cold look on his face and he said, "I'll get it. It's a blind curve and you won't be able to outrun a car in full throttle."

I waved him off and I said, "There aren't much cars at this time of the day. Don't worry, I'll stop at the other side before I cross again."

He seemed reluctant but then he loosened his grip on my shoulder and I ran towards the ball. I picked up the ball but then the sound of a car engine reached my ears. I turned and saw a car heading straight towards me. I froze; maybe that's what happens when you're suddenly faced in a situation that someone else was warning you about a while ago.

I closed my eyes until I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and I fell backward. I heard the screeching of tires and the breaking of something. I fell to the ground with something on top of me.

I open my eyes and I see Junhong on me. How did he get here so fast?

The fading sound of the car faded in my ears as I registered what just happened. I turned to Junhong and he was already standing up. My eyes caught sight of his skateboard lying on the ground; in two pieces.

I felt like I was punched in the stomach. This is what Junhong was saying and I didn't listen to him at all.

This is so messed up.

I opened my mouth to say something, the ball was forgotten and the kids seemed to have called for help. I followed Junhong and ran to the playground side.

He picked up the two pieces which used to be his whole skateboard and he stormed off to the direction of his house. I gave the ball to one of the kids and ran off too. I followed Junhong calling out his name.

"Junhong!" I called.

When he turned to me, I felt like I was stabbed in the throat. He was staring at me with cold eyes and I didn't dare go after him again.

I messed up, big time.


"I should have listened to you," I continue. "I messed up. And I broke your skateboard for you."

I take a deep breath and start again. "I'm sorry for breaking your skateboard."

He scoffs and a smirk that's very un-Junhong-like creeps onto his features. I'm suddenly terrified.

"Honestly," he starts, "You honestly think I'm mad because you broke my skateboard?"

I nod. "I know it's really important to you and... and I broke it."

This is messed up, I can feel my eyes watering and I feel like I'm ready to cry.

"You know, that's only a fourth of why I'm mad," he says.

I look up to him with a questioning look on my face. "What... what do you mean?" My voice cracks and I curse mentally. Junhong knows that when my voice cracks, it means that I'm about to cry.

"The main thing that made me mad that day was you put yourself in danger," he says. "You went on with your plan and you nearly got run by a car."

I can't help it anymore, my eyes leak of their own accord. "I... I'm sorry..."

"I was really mad then," he says. "I don't know what I would have done if you were..." he stops and his voice trails off.

By then I'm already a sobbing; sniffing mess. "I'm... I'm... I'm really sorry..."

Junhong gathers me in his arms, just like how he did three days ago. I can still feel the concrete on my back. I cry onto his shoulder and he pats my back.

"Don't put yourself in danger again like that," he says. "I don't want to lose my best friend."

I nod and say again, "I'm sorry Junhong. I'm so sorry."

He waits for me to calm down. He wipes off my tears and I collect myself.

"Do you want some ice cream?" He asks with that smile that's clearly Junhong.

I nod and say, "Just don't put your cherry tomatoes in it again."

He chuckles and kisses my forehead.

And suddenly, it's not messed up after all.


I really have a problem with endings you know?? Hahaha!

Did I kill anyone with the ending again?? Sorry!!

Anyway I'm about to sleep but don't forget to leave a comment as it makes me really happy!! =D

Thanks for reading!!

GOD bless you!! =D

 

 

chquine_harvinellisse