The brightest star

Brightest Star

 

“Hi, my name is Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon. I am a second year student, and I will be your ‘mentor’ for your entire first semester here. Nice to meet you.”

That was the first time Hakyeon introduced himself as a mentor to a group of ten first year students. It was not only Hakyeon alone, of course. There was at least another five more groups of ten, where his other fellow mentors were in charge of. However, he didn’t know if he should be happy or sad, but out of the ten members in the group he was in charge of, there are eight females. There are only two males. When he took a few glances at the other groups, the females and males were sort of balanced.

“My job is help you to get through the first semester with ease, because adjusting to university life is not an easy task. Believe me. You can talk to me if you have any problems, or you can share it among this group,” he clarified.

He had gathered his mentees in a circle, and also got each one of them to introduce themselves. “Even though my period of being your mentor is only for the first semester, I am more than happy to help you after your first semester as well. So, don’t worry about that.”

The first year students nodded, and some even joked about not wanting to see Hakyeon ever again after their first semester. Although the group was lively, and he was glad that it was, there was one girl who attracted his attention the most. If he was not mistaken, her name is Eunyoung.

Eunyoung was bright. When the group was asked by Hakyeon to guess his age, Eunyoung got it right, and she demanded for a price. Hakyeon could only laugh. She got along well with the other members, and she was always laughing and smiling. It was a beautiful sight to see. Hakyeon thought she was a mix of cute and y.

Hakyeon realized he must have like her very much.

 

 


 

 

Hakyeon was glad that he signed up for his university’s peer mentoring program. Initially, he signed up because he wanted to be a part of the university. He didn’t want to be in the student council. To him, the student council seemed to have a heavier load than any other clubs. So, he resorted for the Peer Support Society, where he will be able to help his peers. But now, he was just glad he was able to meet Eunyoung.

After a week of helping his mentees getting used to the first semester, he got to know Eunyoung even more. It turns out she came to the city alone, and she lives with her distant aunt. She was also very interested in dance.

“Do we have a dance club?” she asked Hakyeon one day.

“Yes, we do,” he replied. “Don’t worry, I think you will be able to meet them during the Students’ Activity Fair this weekend.”

 


 

 

“Hakyeon hyung!” Ravi called when he spotted his senior walking outside the dance studio. “What are you doing here?”

Hakyeon was surprised to see Ravi. He knew Ravi was part of the dance club, as Ravi is one of Hakyeon’s closest junior. “O-oh, I was just taking a long way to the auditorium.”

Ravi only raised his eyebrow at his hyung’s odd behavior. As far as Ravi knows, Hakyeon never come nearby the dance studio, as the dance studio was pretty far from the main building. For Hakyeon to take a long way all of the sudden was odd.

           


 

Hakyeon dislikes writing a research paper. He didn’t hate it. He just dislikes it. Sometimes, he did find research was pretty fun and informational. Just sometimes.

He entered the library and his eyes scanned the area for an empty table. The library is always full during the assignment period. The students come into the library to complete and research for their assignment. If it wasn’t for the assignments, Hakyeon was pretty sure the library would be empty.

Then, he was in luck. He saw Eunyoung at one of the furthest table in the library. He remembered her long golden brown hair and recognized her in an instant. She was reading a book, and Hakyeon it was another lovely sight. He has a thing for girls who read.

“Eunyoung?” he called when he was standing right in front of her. His voice was soft because he was in the library. But Eunyoung didn’t hear him. She was still reading her book. She did not even look up.

Hakyeon tapped her shoulder, and it made Eunyoung jumped a little. “O-oppa? Sorry, I didn’t realize.” She took of her earplugs and smiled brightly at him.

“It’s fine,” he said. “Mind if I sit here?” He motioned to the empty chair right opposite of her, which was where he was standing.

“I certainly don’t mind. Please, take a seat,” she said brightly.

Hakyeon could only smile. Eunyoung was so bright that he just couldn’t stay away from her. He likes her. Every bit of her.

 


 

Hakyeon had successfully asked Eunyoung to join him for stargazing. He was part of the astronomy club, so he had the privilege to stargaze on the university’s rooftop, and he also had the privilege to invite a friend.

Eunyoung was eager to stargaze. She said she has never stargazed before. Hakyeon was determined to make this the best experience for her. He chose a night whereby there were fewer clouds. That way, the stars could be seen clearly.

“Wow,” she gasped. “The night sky. I’ve never seen so many stars.”

Hakyeon chuckled. “I am glad you like it.”

“These stars are so bright,” she pointed out absentmindedly. Her eyes were still fixed on the night sky.

"They are not as bright as you,” Hakyeon said.

“What?” Eunyoung asked. Hakyeon knew she heard it. She just wanted to make sure she heard it right.

“You are the brightest star I’ve ever seen,” he rephrased.

Eunyoung blushed and looked away. Hakyeon could only grinned widely. He made her blush. It was a great accomplishment. 

"W-well, thank you, oppa,” she muttered.

 


 

“I heard you are dating a freshman,” Leo said when Hakyeon joined him for class.

Hakyeon smiled. “What you heard is correct.”

“Who is this freshman that makes you smile everyday?” Leo questioned. “I’ve never seen you this bright before. I must thank her.”

“Joo Eunyoung, the brightest star in the night sky.”

 

 


 

             

The end.