Love is four months

In a span of four months

Lee Eunmi. That's who I am. I’m a seventeen-year-old girl who’s studying at Namsan High. And although I’m a girl, I dislike being looked down upon and hate the stereotype about girls being weak. Because of this, I get involved with outdoor sports. I love to rock climb and I play badminton. On some days, the guys from the basketball team would call out to me to play with them. You could guess that I became rather active and I prefer to have guy friends over girls. But, enough about that nonsense, I’ll tell you a story that happened to me a few months ago. Let’s see, well, it started with Song Haneul.

~
Lee Eunmi was sitting on her chair and twirling the locks of her long brown hair while looking down at the problem presented to her.

Math.

It wasn’t her favourite subject and she doesn’t always get As for every test but it just intrigued her. It was annoying but once the problem was solved, she’d feel like she won a medal. But, looking down at her paper, she wasn’t so sure anymore. 

She grunted and threw her hands up in the air.

“Argh! I don’t get it!” she complained.

Turning her head to the left, she looked at her friend who was busy solving problems. She rested her chin on the desk and inched towards her.

“Namee-ah~ Have you solved number seventeen yet?”
“Yah! I’m still doing number twelve and you’re that far alrea-

Eunmi sighed and mentally blocked the girl’s ranting. She glanced at the paper for a second and it finally clicked.

“And you always complain that you don’t like Math when you’re actually pretty go-“

“Solved it!” she announced.
She immediately took her pen and began scribbling everything down, pushing the buttons on the calculator eagerly wanting to get the answer. Namee just glared at her friend.

“Bet you weren’t even listening to what I was talking about.”
“Hmm? Did you say something?” 
“Forget it.” she sighed exasperated.

Eunmi just smiled and continued to solve the other equations. It became easier now that she’s motivated.

Namee however, was still struggling and totally ignored Eunmi the rest of the lesson.

“Okay class, time to pass up your work.” Mr Xi told them.

Eunmi rushed to the front and passed her paper. When she got a nod in return from him, she beamed, happy that she managed to solve all the equations on time.

“Yah! Eun-ah, why don’t you solve mine too next time?” Daejun asked.
“Because you don’t pay me enough.” she replied back, teasingly.

Daejun jutted his lip out and whined back.

“BUT-!! I’ll help you. I swear.”
“Last time you said that, you went and hid in the boys’ toilet until Jongmin had to drag you out, just because I asked to help me with the class decorations. So, my answer would be no.” she rolled her eyes at him.

The boys were snickering and laughing at Eunmi’s comeback. That was until she turned to them with a sharp glare.

“And don’t you guys need to work on your English essay before Mr Parker gets here?” she smirked.

“Aww, come on! It’s English.” Sangwoo complained.
“Yeah! And why did he have to give us a three-page essay?! One was bad enough!” Jaeri joined in.

Sounds of agreement could be heard from them and Eunmi could feel her patience wearing thin. 

“And he speaks full English! I could barely understand!” Imhyun put his hands up in front of his chest.
“Not to mention the way he keeps talking and talking and talking.” Jiseop complained.

That did it.

“Ok that’s it! All of you shut up!”

And they did. Daejun did a wise choice by being a spectator for once. Eunmi was scary enough but when she was mad, well they might not survive.

“Look, I know you guys are terrible at English but it’s actually simple. Get a dictionary. Seriously, what’s up with you guys? Don’t even make an effort?”
“Easy for you to say, you’re great at it.” Sangwoo mumbled.
“Then why didn’t you guys just ask me to tutor you?” she said as a matter of fact.

Six (including Daejun) faces looked at her in hope. As if their prayer was answered by God himself.

“Y-you will?” Imhyun asked slowly, making sure she wasn’t joking.
“Neh. I will.”

“YAY!” Imhyun and Sangwoo enveloped her in a tight hug, grateful that she was willing to help them.

“Let me go you freaking bastards! I can’t breathe!!” she screamed in English.
“What did she say?” Imhyun questioned Sangwoo.
“I think she said she’s happy too?”
“I said LET GO!” she pried their hands off her.
“Sheesh! You nearly ruined my skirt.” annoyance clear in her voice as she dusted her said skirt.

The rest of the boys laughed at the two who looked guiltily at her.

The class was normal that way. Eunmi would hang out with the boys rather than the girls. She also had loads of admires from other classes and also seniors. She was pretty with her long brown locks and almond-shaped eyes. Her outgoing and cheerful attitude was also liked by many including the boys in her own class.

What she liked about them was that they didn’t have any feelings towards her and would refer to her as ‘our Eunmi’ whenever one of her admires came to their class. She was thankful for that because honestly, it had been tiring.

She giggled when she remembered last week’s admirer. Poor boy was scared less as soon as Daejun came up to him and started asking him questions.

“Um? Why are you giggling?” Jiseop asked.
“Oh, nothing. I was giggling cause you guys are a bunch of dorks who scare off my admires.” she honestly said.
“We gotta protect our Eunmi.”
“Remember, you belong to the class. No one is allowed to take you away. They just want you so you would teach him English and abandon us.” Imhyun said all seriousness in his voice.

At that she cracked up.

“Y-you g-guys! Haha..O-okay! But you have t-to stop them t-then.” she calmed down, wiping a tear that escaped her eye.

“We will.” Daejun assured and grinned at her.

She walked back to her seat and plopped down on her chair.

Such dorks. But I love them.

She hummed happily.

~

The class was as noisy as ever. There were groups everywhere. There was the popular group, k-pop loving group, the quite group and of course, the group of the boys (which Eunmi likes to refer to them as the group of dorks). 

The popular group was chatting and gossiping. Well, trying to. Their voices were so loud that Eunmi could hear them clearly.

“Omo! Have you heard?”
“What?”
“Joongki oppa just fought with Minseok oppa over Jiae unnie.”
“Omo! Chicha?!”
“But I thought they were best friends!”
“Tch! Unnie’s playing the victim when she obviously seduced both of them.” she rolled her eyes.
“Jongmal? Waeyo?”
“I saw her with-

Eunmi sighed and rolled her eyes. They never really learn to stay out of people’s business. She turned her head towards the k-pop group and sure enough, it was all, “Oppa’s so hot!” “He’s mine!” “No, he is mine!”

No surprise there.

She shook her head slightly. Really? Fighting over someone that doesn’t know you exist? Sure, Eunmi has her favourites too but she’s not that crazy over them.

The class became quite when Mr Parker entered. The boys let out an annoyed groan that was evident why, they haven’t finished their essay on time.

“Good Morning class.” he beamed as he put his books down.

A few mumbles of “Good Mornings” were heard. The ones that don’t understand the said man were getting ready to sleep.

“Okay, today, we’ll be learning about Romeo and Juliet. Then, afterwards I want all of you to hand in your essays I told you to do over the weekend.”

Some more groans were heard and Eunmi glared daggers at them. English was her favourite subject and she will not let a few idiots destroy the lesson.

“Here are your books on Romeo and Juliet. May you help me pass them around Ms Shim?”

The girl nodded timidly and began passing them around the class before hurrying back to her seat. She was naturally like that.

“I will start with page 67, Scene II, Capulet’s orchard. Now, before I ask someone to read aloud, what is the important role of this scene?”

It is where Romeo meets Juliet. The first meeting after finding out that they held the enemies name, Montague and Capulet. It just had to be them.

Eunmi unknowingly sigh because that meeting soon let them to find love but in the end they died because of a letter that did not reach Romeo.

“Yes, Ms Lee?”
“Huh?”
“What is the important role of this scene?”
“Well, this scene marks where the two lovers, Romeo and Juliet met secretly after finding out that they hold the name of their families sworn enemy, the Capulet’s and Montague’s.”
she explained briefly.
“Well, I couldn’t have said it better myself.” he gave her a slight nod and she sat down.

“Okay so class may we conti-

There was a knock on the door and all heads turned to the door frame. And Eunmi could’ve sworn her heart made a funny flip.

It was a new student and after the teacher explained to Mr Parker the situation, the said boy was ushered inside and the popular group started to whisper. Even Eunmi could understand why. The boy was stunningly handsome and had reddish orange hair.

He must’ve dyed it that way.

“Class, Ms Yoon informed me that you have a new transfer student. Please introduce yourself.” everyone looked at him, surprised.

Mr Parker could speak Korean this whole time and he could probably understand whatever they were saying.

Namee nudged Eunmi’s arm and whispered, “Well, what an exciting turn of events.” as she gestured to the horrified looks on the boys faces, especially Jiseop and Sangwoo.

Eunmi smirked and focused back on the boy.

He bowed and introduced himself.

“Anneyonghaseyo, Song Haneul imnida. I just moved here and I’m staying at my uncle’s place for the time-being while my parents are away for work in America.”

“Very well. But since this is an English class, you have to introduce yourself in English like everyone else.”

Oh, Eunmi remembered that day. It was fun for both Namee and Eunmi because the two tried their best to hold in their laughter. The two being the best English speakers in class made it so. And seeing their friends struggling to speak in English was just golden in Eunmi’s book.

She looked at the boy and was surprised because she caught him looking at her. Or maybe she was seeing things? And maybe her heart is tired which would explain the rapid beating?

She was strayed from her thoughts when he nodded once to Mr Parker and introduced himself once again.

“Hello, my name is Song Haneul. I just moved here and I’m staying at my uncle’s place for the time-being while my parents are away for work in America.”

And they gaped at him.

That was perfect!

“Excellent! Did you use to study abroad? Your English was perfect.” he asked.
“No. I stayed in the United States when I was young which explains why I still have a slight accent.”
“Wonderful. Now I have another fluent speaker in my class. The other two are Lee Eunmi and Jung Namee.” he gestured towards the two girls and Eunmi found it hard to look at his eyes for some reason.
“Please, take a seat at the back next to the boy who’s sleeping.” he pointed towards Daejun who was sleeping soundly.

He walked towards his seat and sat down. Mr Parker gave him the same book and they resumed their lesson.

“Now I was saying, the Capulet’s and Montague’s have been enemies for years in the walls of Verona. It had been so long that the real cause of the feud was unknown but their hatred for one another was deep in the blood that flows through them.”

Eunmi sighed. Love wasn’t fair was it?

“So, in this scene, Romeo accidentally makes his way to Juliet’s balcony. Haneul, would you do me a favour by coming up to the front and reading page 67 where Romeo sees Juliet on her balcony?”

Haneul nodded and walked in front of the class.

“With feeling.”

He nodded and began.

“But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?
It is the East, and Juliet is the sun!
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief
That thou her maid art far more fair than she.
Be not her maid, since she is envious.
Her vestal livery is but sick and green,
And none but fools do wear it. Cast if off.
It is my lady; O, it is my love!
O that she knew she were!”

As soon as he finished, the class applauded and Eunmi sunk in her chair because throughout the reading, he kept stealing glances at her. Her flushed face now glaring at him and he smiled back at her.

Dammit, Romeo!

~

The next few days, Eunmi took the route of avoiding Haneul because of the funny feeling in her stomach. But, Haneul immediately became Daejun’s best friend which is bad in her dictionary. The reason was because Eunmi and Daejun would always get into fights over trivial matters. It’s no secret, Eunmi and Daejun were frienemies. They’d claw each other eyes out but become protective over each other the next second. But since Haneul is Daejun’s best friend is really putting a big hole in her plan to avoid the boy.

“Yah! Eun-ah! What’re you doing? Sleeping?”
“Tch! Says the guy who slept through the whole day today.”
“I was taking a nap for my brain. It was only Maths and English.”
“Oh god! You’re unbelievable.” she said, rolling her eyes.
“At least I’m not unbelievably ugly.”
“What did you say, you punk?”

Namee and Haneul sighed simultaneously. It was normal for the two to fight like this and truth to be told, it was tiring for the two. They would usually pull both of them apart but as soon as Namee got up, Haneul beat her to it.

“Yah!! You wanna die right?! I’ll help you!!” Eunmi shrieked, grabbing and shaking his collar.
“Eunmi, that’s not very nice, don’t you think?” Haneul pulled her hand and she immediately dropped the boy, not to mention stunned the entire class.
“Whatever.” she said in English, pulled her hand out of the boy’s hold and left trying to hide her blushing cheeks.

Daejun was rubbing his neck and was completely oblivious to the interaction the between the two. He patted Haneul on the shoulder and muttered a “Thanks.”. The whole class however, was staring between the two of them.

Haneul was looking at Eunmi with an unreadable expression and Eunmi continued reading Withering Heights.

Almost instantly, there were whispers in the popular group and everyone crowded them excluding the four.

“Yah, did you see that?!” Jessica whispered.
“I know right! There’s something going on between the two! There must be!” Lina agreed.
“I don’t think anything is gonna happen between them.” Sangwoo said, confidently.
“Let’s bet that Eunmi and Haneul are gonna get together by summer.” Mikum suggested.
“You’re on!” Imhyun joined in.

Soon there were bets being made and Gwimoon jotting it down in her book since she’s the class treasurer.

The bets took place and went unnoticed by the four of them excluding Namee (she overheard).  Daejun went to sleep and Eunmi was immersed in the book while Haneul took a short trip to the bathroom.

Namee went to the group and slammed her hand on the desk. Terrified faces looked up.

.

Namee was a black belt in taekwondo and was one Eunmi’s close girl friends. They kept quiet and waited for her wrath but what came next made them gape instead.

“I bet 50 000₩ they’re gonna get together.”

Gwimoon nodded slowly and wrote Namee’s name. The girl spun around and sat next to Eunmi.

“What was that?” Eunmi asked, curious.
“Nothing. They were too noisy.”

Eunmi shrugged and continued reading.

~

“WAEYO?!”

Namee slapped a hand onto Eunmi’s mouth to shut her up.

“YAH! We’re in class! Bicheoseo?” she freed the said girl’s mouth.
“Mian but why do you have to be gone for a week?” Eunmi grunted, wiping off the perspiration on . 

It was the start of March and it was like any other day, the snow melted and a few flowers were already blooming signaling the start of spring.

Two girls were discussing about random things and it was going well enough- till Namee dropped the bomb telling Eunmi she’d be gone the whole week.

“Aish! You know my family, I have aunts and uncles from Australia and Lisbon coming over. So my mom thought we should spend ‘quality family time’ together. She made us all go for a whole week to my grandparents.”
“But if you’re not here, who’s gonna be my friend?” Eunmi asked worriedly.
“The guys would still be here it’s not like you’re gonna be alone.”
“I meant girl friend.” she stressed the word.
“There are twenty girls in this class, eighteen excluding the both of us. I’m sure you’ll find someone.”

Eunmi gasped at her friend’s words.

“That’s not the point-”
“The point is, you won’t be alone and if the worst comes, you have Hana and Rin.”
“But they’re both in the other class!”
“Lee Eunmi, I’ll be gone for a week. It’s no big deal. Plus, I noticed Haneul keeps on staring at you.” she whispered the last part.

She immediately blushed at the mention of the boy.

“So?” she tried to hide her pink cheeks.

It wasn’t like she hadn’t noticed. It’s more like, she didn’t want to notice it to begin with. Everytime she’d look at the boy, she would feel funny.

“Maybe, if you’re lucky, you can snatch him up.” she winked at her.
“Are you insane?! Why would I? Plus, he’s not that good-looking.” disinterest thick in her voice.

Looking at her friend, she cocked an eyebrow.

“You sure? He seems pretty attractive if you ask me.”
“Yah! What would Sanchul say?” she nudged her friend.
“Please, he’s no match for my boyfriend.” she scoffed and deemed offended.

Eunmi shrugged with a crooked grin on the side of .

“Just please try to survive next week. Just one!” she begged her friend.
“Fine.” she grunted in defeat.

~

Lee Eunmi was pissed. She was more than pissed, she was furious. She loved her friend. Really, she did. But she'd kill her right now. Not only was she wallowing in her own selfpity, she had no idea what to do.

Sure, Gwimoon and Mikum were there but they sat quite far from her seat. And she'll only meet Hana and Rin during recess.

My life just gets better and better.

She sighed and rested her head on her desk. A knock was heard on her desk and she looked up irritated by the noise. She froze however, when she noticed Haneul sitting beside her.

"What are you doing here?" she asked unsurely.
"Hmm? Oh, since Daejun's gone for that football practice I thought I'd hangout with a loner too. Just to be fair." he winked.

Well, that was unexpected. Eunmi scoffed and glared at him.

"I don't need pity. So, kindly leave." she smiled sweetly.
"Really? Then I guess I'm not going then." he smirked.
"Wow. You're pitying me? And why?"
"Why don't you hang with the girls?"

She widened her eyes in shock.

That was surprising.

"Well, I don't really get along with girls that well." she started.
"Why?"
"They're troublesome."
"You're a girl too."
"Touche but I prefer you dorks over shrill laughter any day." she grinned.

And it was probably the worst mistake she made.

He laughed.

Eunmi couldn't help but notice his scrunched up nose and that eye smile. 

And realized she liked it. A lot.

~

"Eun-ah~ So, hey! You survived! How was it?" Namee greeted her.
"Okay I guess.." Eunmi answered.

Just then Haneul came up to them and said his greetings. He immediately turned to Eunmi and started talking to her. Every once in awhile she'd let out small giggles.

What the hell?

Haneul made a witty remark which sent Eunmi's notebook flying into his direction. Luckily he was quick enough to dodge it.

"Mehrong~!" he teased.
"Why if I ever see that idiot of a penguin again I'm gonna-"
"What's going on?" Namee cut her.
"What?" she blinked, confused.
"Why were you guys fighting playfully? And don't think I didn't notice those giggles. Plus, did you just call him a penguin?"

Eunmi's cheeks painted a deep shade of red.

"Spill."

And she did just that. She told her everything. From the day he sat down next to her to the latest interaction.

"So, why 'penguin'?"
"I don't know, he reminds me of one."
"You so like him." she tsked.
"What?! No, it's not. It's just a little crush." she explained, flustered.
"Then you'll fall in love and-"
"Not gonna happen. Love is four months."
"Fine, we'll see."

~
14 March.
White day.

Now, Eunmi was shocked. More than shocked, she was bewildered.

True, she did know that Haneul was attractive. And he joined the school during February. But the amount of white chocolates he was carrying to school surprised her to no end.

"Wow. Haneul are those for the huge amounts of chocolate you got for Valentine's Day?" Sangwoo questioned.

It sort of irritated Eunmi when she heard that. She skipped Valentine's Day. Knowing well her admirers would hang around her class more often, all hoping she'd get them a Valentine's gift.

"Yeah. I mean, I was hoping this year I'd get a lot less. But I guess that wasn't happening." he sighed.

She missed the glance he threw her.

"Great! We can give out our chocolates together then!" Daejun exclaimed, since he too, received a mountain of them.

She had it. She got up and was about to leave when Haneul pulled her wrist.

"Yah! Eunmi-ah, going already?" he smirked.

She was about to give a comeback but stopped when she felt him slip something into her pocket. None of the boys noticed since they were bragging about the chocolates they got.

"Uh, y-yeah."

As soon as she was far away from them, she took it out. To her surprise, it was a bag of white chocolate chip cookies. On the tag it said, 

"From: Penguin
To: Pityful Fox"

She blushed and grinned at him.

The next day, she slipped a bag of chocolate dipped apples into his bag with a tiny card.
It read-  

"I don't need pity, idiot." 


~

April.

Spring was in full blossom and four friends were having lunch on the school roof.

"What're you guys doing? Flirting secretly behind everyones backs?" Rin .
"Yah! It's not like I started it." she pouted.
"But seriously, it's obvious he likes you." Hana stated.
"I know right?! I keep telling her that! Does she listen? No." Namee rolled her eyes.

Seriously, these guys.

"Guys, really, he doesn't and it's just a crush." she stated for the umpteenth time that month.
"Okay, if you say so..." Hana responded, unconvinced.

She sighed. Why can't her friends just get it's nothing.

"C'mon love is.."
"Four months. We get it." they all said.
"Three more months to go..." Namee stated.

She rolled her eyes at that.

As if.

~

The bell soon rang, signalling the end of recess. The four got up and bid farewell to each other. Eunmi told Namee that she had a matter to discuss with Miss Yoon and she nodded in understanding.

Eunmi was absent-mindedly walking to the Teachers' Lounge when she stepped on something. She snapped out off her wandering thoughts and bend down to pick it up. Clearly it was a Student ID.

Aish! Who would leave their IDs around? They're asking to get caught.

She flipped it over and it's owner was none other that Song Haneul himself. She felt her face heat up and read the information.

Name: Song Haneul
Class: 1 A
D.O.B: 13 04 1997
ID No: 971304-1A

Wait.

Date of birth is 13th April? That's in one week!

She was shocked that he didn't tell her. Everyone's birthday was celebrated, especially if you're from Class 1 A. This can't happen. She wasn't about to break their class tradition. She smirked as she thought off a plan. Smiling to herself, she placed the card in her pocket and set off to find Miss Yoon. Then maybe she can get the class together and tell them about it.

Later the same day, she made Daejun drag Haneul around to distract him as she planned it out with the whole class. Daejun had no problem in complying to her request though- the cake they got for his birthday was amazing.

As soon as she got the gang together, people started giving out endless ideas.

"What about a float? We could make him a float." Jaeri suggested.
"Perfect cause we obviously have the time and common sense to make an actual float for Prince Haneul?" sarcasm in her voice.
"How about we go to the park?" Lina suggested.
"I guess that's acceptable but I was thinking of merging it with a welcoming party." 
"That's not a bad idea, I mean we could have a class trip and set up a picnic then maybe a karaoke. How's that?" Jiseop stepped in.
"What do you guys think?" 

"NEH!" they all said in unison.

Eunmi smiled and discussed with Gwimoon about the cost.

~

"Eun-ah~" Namee cooed.
"What?" she instinctively glared at her friend.
"Aww, why'd you glare at me?"
"Cause whatever you want or say, it ain't good."
"Nothing. Just wondering why you care so much about Haneul."

There it was, the 'thing' she wanted to talk about.

"C'mon Nana, it's normal for me to plan birthdays for our classmates." she stated, as a matter of fact.
"Well, yeah but why get so worked up when it's him?"
"I'm not getting worked u-
"You spent last night complaining how you didn't know what present to get the boy. And I had to cancel my date with Sanchul to talk with you!"
"I wasn't getting worked up." she jutted out her bottom lip.

The two girls we're in Namee's room, just hanging out as usual.

"How about you just go to the mall, maybe you'll get an idea there." she suggested.

Eunmi whipped her head in towards her friend and felt like she got mentally slapped.

"Dammit! I should've thought off that!"

Before Namee had a chance to answer, she grabbed her purse and left.

"So, just a crush?" she grinned and added. "Aigoo, I don't think so Eun-ah.."

~

A girl was walking up and down the mall, searching and contemplating each item. She went from a thrift shop to a clothing store. But each time she thought she finally found it, she decided otherwise. It was exhausting for the girl as she walked in rushed steps, money wasn't a big problem for her because her family was wealthy. It was the matter of the perfect gift for the boy that annoyed her. She walked pass a toy store and saw a penguin plushie. She stared at it for the longest time but didn't buy it in the end.

After two hours of constant scavengering and contemplating, she decided to take a short break. She opted to go to the food court and ordered a bowl of cold noodles. It was out of season but it was her favourite. Soon after she sat by the indoor fountain.

I could get him the plushie but it doesn't seem like he'd use it. I guess I have to stick with his interests then.

An electrifiying shock went through her whole body as something hit her, hard. She barely knew anything about him.

Well, that was pathetic. I knew him for almost three months and I don't know anything about him?

Her body slumped against the bench as she felt her happiness deflating. It was supposed to be easy, she knew the mall in and out, there were so many things that she ought to find something for him.

With a newfound determination, she pushed herself out off the bench and set off again. As she walked pass a music store, a head of red hair caught her attention. The girl stopped in her tracks and carefully peered into the glass doors of the store.

Haneul?

Letting her curiousity overtake her, she went inside the store and hid behind a piano. She was amazed at all the different instruments. Dispite being there a thousand times, she never stepped foot in the music store before. She ran her hand over the keys of the piano, wondering how it must feel to play them. The instrument was elegant itself but that wasn't what captured her interest.

She looked up and sure enough, it was the said boy. He was looking around and grabbed one of the guitars. He found a stool and sat on it as he began tuning the strings of the instrument. He kept adjusting the guitar until it wasin perfect tune. She was surprised, the melody he played was perfect. It was happy and at the same time sad. She never heard it before though. Was it a classic? 

"Ah.. I see you're good at guitar. I've never heard that one before, is it an original composition?" the shop owner interupted him.
"Yes, it was my father's actually." he answered rather sheepishly.
"I'm impressed, well are you interested in anything?"
"I was looking at some off the guitar picks around here and I noticed you have some of the limited edition signed picks from Jung Jisun?"
"Yes, we managed to get ten off them. Are you interested in one?"
"Yes, I've been a fan of him but I'm afraid I don't have enough money with me."
"That's too bad. If there's anything you want just tell me." he smiled.
"My guitar string snapped the other day, I was hoping if you could find a replacement for it. I brought it along."
"Perfect just come right this way."

While the two we're engaged in fixing his guitar, Eunmi smiled to herself. Not long after he left, a girl came out with her purchase and a satisfied smile plastered onto her face.

~

May

It was a windy day.

The party they had planned went off without a hitch. Haneul beamed when he saw what Eunmi got for him. But the two didn't get to talk much that day.

Haneul sighed for the fifth time that day, Daejun has been keeping count.

"Dude, you okay?"
"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about it." he sighed again.
"Hey, what's up?"
"Nothing, it's stupid."
"Your girlfriend?"
"I don't have one it's just I've been thinking about Eun- things." he managed to stop himself.

Daejun arched an eyebrow and narrowed his eyes at him. He wasn't buying it.

"Eunmi? What about her?"
"Well, I don't know. I just- I don't even know."
"You like her, don't you?"

Haneul looked up at him in shock.

"How did you-"
"It's pretty obvious that you do. I know I act oblivious to things but I catch on quick." he grinned, pleased with himself.
"I just can't stop thinking about her. And she's not even here for that tennis competition."
"If I'd known better, I'd say you love her. Won't be much off a problem though since she obviously likes you too."
"One, I don't like her that way, two, it's a crush and three, she doesn't."

At that Daejun raised his eyebrows.

"You sure? You don't usually get treatment like that from Queen Eunmi."
"Queen? What do you mean?" 
"Well, I don't know if you noticed but on Valentine's Day there were guys hanging around our class."
"Yeah, I guess. That was weird."
"It's normal. It was like that in Junior High too. I went to the same school as her. Every year, she'd get a lot of admirers and each year during Valentine's, they'd all hope to get something from her. That's why we call her 'Queen Eunmi'. She hates it though." he chuckled.

Haneul felt his blood starting to boil at the new info. His shoulders tensed up and he looked down. Daejun threw him another questioning look but he missed it.

"So, all off those guys were here because of... Eunmi?" gritting his teeth.
"Yup. That's why we take it on ourselves to scare her admirers away." shooting him a slight glare.
"Hey, it's just a crush."
"I don't really care but she's like a sister to all off us. I guess you're an exception since you're part off the class." Daejun stated while Haneul awkwardly scratched the back of his head.
"Thanks, I guess."

Mr Parker went in the class and the students all stood up and said their greetings.

~

"The winner of the women single's match is Lee Eunmi with a score of 7-6, 5-7, 7-3."

Two girls shook hands as she went up the podium to receive her medal.

As Eunmi packed up her stuff, Rin waited for her. Soon the two were walking home together from the now empty court.

"Congratulations, Eun-ah! You won first place!" she beamed.
"Yah! You won third. I had to avenge you." she drank water from her water bottle while readjusting the bag on her shoulder.
"I guess." she grinned.
"So, how're things with Haneul?"

The other stopped drinking and let out a sigh.

"What? Has it been an infamous topic now? Namee won't stop bugging me about it."
"Just curious how far you've gotten. We're waiting till Mineul happens."
"Mineul? Oh, now there's a couple name?"
"What? You didn't know about it?"

She just shook her head.

"No and c'mon, it's just a crush."
"You sure? Cause not from what I've seen."

She stopped in her tracks and looked at the elder.

"Look, a fox and a penguin don't mix. Don't you think?"

Rin just shrugged in response.

~

Haneul was busy tapping his mechanical pencil against his notebook.The mathematical question written down but it remained unsolved. If there was something he was bad at then it was Math for sure. He grunted and looked at his other classmates who were either too engrossed in the questions or busy gossiping about the latest scandal. Deeming that he won't be able to finish it anyway, he chose to eavesdrop the three girls in front off him who were engaged in what he calls another one off their 'girl talks'.

"Aniya.. no way." she pouted.
"It's true! Minwoo oppa told me himself!" Jessica exclaimed excitedly.

Ugh another boy.. What is it this time? A two-timing boyfriend who cheated on yet another unnie? Or a cute cousin that happens to be an idol?

"Andwe! But I thought he was over Eunmi!" Lina countered.

Okay, now that caught his attention.

"It's totally true! Minwoo oppa let it slip that Sae oppa still likes Eunmi!"
"That's not true.. I mean, why would he still like her?" Yuna glared, unsatisfied.
"Molla." she shrugged. "I guess since he lov-"

They stopped abruptly after noticing a certain red-head who was listening intently to their conversation. Haneul realizing he got caught, smiled sweetly at the three.

"Would you girls care to enlighten me about this 'Sae oppa'?" he spoke such with venom in his voice, the girls flinched.

They looked amongst themselves, hesitating to let the cat out off the bag. He just sighed and took out his phone and went through his files. The three craned their necks trying to get a glimsp of the screen. He stopped and lazily turned the phone to show them a picture off three undoubtly attractive boys.

"They're my cousins. Tell me what I want to know and I'll contact them for you."

They nodded their heads eagerly and Jessica spoke up.

"His name is Park Saeju. He's in class 2B."

He gritted his teeth. Park Saeju, he knew him to be Daejun's good friend. They had been introduced to each other before . But somehow, he just couldn't help but to feel resentment towards the other. Except this time he has a concrete reason too.

"We thought he got over Eunmi since he stopped chasing her sometime before school break."
"Not to mention Eunmi had rejected him like ten times." Yuna scoffed.
"Anyway, Minwoo told me that he still has feelings for Eunmi." Jessica finished.

He felt his blood started to boil and he unknowingly clenced his jaw.

So he's after my Eunmi huh? Well, we'll see about that.

"Um, Haneul, you okay?" Jessica arched an eyebrow.
"Nothing. Thanks." he forced a smile and looked back down on his notebook.

As he started to drown in his own thoughts, the three girls turned to the front and huddled together.

"I don't think that was nothing. Did you see the way he was practically fuming?" Jessica asked in a hushed voice.
"I know right?! I mean, Mineul is so going to happen!" Lina giggled excitedly.
"Tch! Doubt it." Yuna rolled her eyes.
"Oh my god! A non-believer!" she gasped.
"How could you not believe in the power of Mineul?!" Jess exclaimed.
"I'm just being practical. Mineul doesn't exist and I'm totally gonna win the bet." she stated confidently.
"We'll see." Lina smirked.

~

Things were starting to go back to normal as soon as Eunmi and Rin returned from the two day competition. Well, almost.

Eunmi wasn't sure if she was imagining things or she's just stuck in a weird dream. A really peculiar one at that. Saeju began to flirt with her, again. And not only that, Haneul seems to be around her more the next few days. If she didn't know better, she'd say he was jealous of Saeju. But, she's a rational person so she opts it as her over-thinking things. So, here she is, stuck between two boys who are trying to fight for her attention.

"Eun-ah~ You missed me right?" Saeju cooed. She opened to answer but he cut her.
"Who am I kidding? Of course you do." he grinned and she frowned. 

No, not at all.

"Yah! What're you doing here? This is our class and stop disturbing Eunmi!" Haneul growled, seemingly more irritated than Eunmi.
"And what are you? Her boyfriend?" he didn't spare him a glance and focused on the brunette instead.
"What if I am?" that however, caught his attention.
"Are you?"
"No, but so aren't you. So politely leave before I kick your out off here."
"No one tells me what to do, especially in front of Eun-ah." he growled low.

The girl stood up and huffed.

"Look, Saeju, may you please go back to your class? I can't focus with the two off you bickering like this." she asked. Said boy looked between the two off them but nodded and left the class. Haneul felt relief wash over him after the pest was gone. Now he has Eunmi to himself.
"And you, what's up with you? I can handle him by myself." Eunmi scolded him.
"But, can you really fox?" he grinned. She blushed and scolded herself for finding that grin attractive.
"Oh~ I can Pororo~ If I'd known better, I'd say you were jealous." she smirked.
Now it was his turn to blush.
"As if. That's not gonna happen. And if one off us were jealous of another, I'd say it's you." he retorted. She scoffed.
"Yeah, sure~" she rolled her eyes.
"Oh, please. You know you find this, *gestures to self* attractive." he smirked.
She smirked and looked at him. She's got to hand it to him though. Those almond-shaped eyes, that mole on his neck and the slight smirk he had this very moment seemed pretty attractive indeed.Oh, and those lips! Well, two can play it at that game.
"Please, I think it's the other way around~" she smirked and flpped her hair. God, when did she become this little minx?
If Haneul had to pick his favourite part of Eunmi, he'd pick her lips. Those soft, perfect, kissab-

"OH MY GOD! You guys! I'm trying to learn here! GOD!" Namee shrieked.
The two jumped slightly at the sudden interruption and Haneul went to his seat.
" much?" Namee smirked.
"Yeah, right." she scoffed but looked down as a faint blush adorned her cheeks.

~

Mid-June came quite early for Eunmi. (but she's sure the constant bickering between Saeju and Haneul has something to do with it.) Apparently they were going on a class trip to the beach since it was Summer. The teachers couldn't stand the heat anyway. Which explains why they are at said beach, unpacking things. After they finished setting up everything, the guys took off their shirts and put on their swim trunks. Eunmi came out of the changing room with a baby pink bikini and Namee behind her with a sky blue one.

Sure enough, the moment they stepped out, a few other guys immediately took notice off them and tried asking for phone numbers. But, of course this is when the guys came with their God-like bodies and managed to scare them off. The girls all giggled afterwards. The guys made sure to keep Eunmi within their eye sight but Haneul went the extra mile and stuck beside her at all times.

At first, Eunmi was quite reluctant to go in the water. But since a certain red-head touched her shoulder and yelled "Tag!", that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. She ran after him into the waters and quickly regretted her decision as the water making its way down Haneul's abdomen (which were an eye-candy for her since he had six-packs) made him look ten times more irresistable. He brushed his wet hair backwards and she's sure her heart was going to go into cardiac arrest. He smirked at her.

"Like what you see?" he asked. She clicked her tongue on the roof of .
"Maybe, maybe not~" she giggled and turned around.
"Hey!" he whined and spun her around. 
Oh god forbid those eyes and that death-pout! 
"That's not fair~" he jutted his lip out even more. She gulped and smirked.
"Not my problem~" she said in a sing-song voice.
He grinned and pulled her over his shoulder.
"It is now~" he picked her up and dropped her in the water. A wave of laughters erupted from him as she sat there, shocked and dumbfounded."Yah!" his eyes widen as he quickly ran as she chased after him (uttering a few curse words along the way).

 

From afar Namee and Daejun sat beside each other both shaking their heads at their two friends.
"Can you believe she had the nerve to say she doesn't like him?" Namee started.
"Hmm.. Well, I don't think so. Haneul admitted he likes her though."
"Omo! Really?! That's great! Now if only we can get them to confess to each other!" he cocked an eyebrow.
"I thought you said that she said that she doesn't like him?" she rolled her eyes.
"Are you kidding me? Just look at those two!" she gestured towards the laughing duo.
"True." he nodded.

Somewhere along the way, they had a swimming contest. They had to have five people per team. Haneul, Eunmi, Namee, Daejun and Sangwoo were on a team. And, with the boys ratio to girls 3:2, they won by a landslide. As soon as Haneul made the last lap that claimed their victory, Eunmi rushed over and hugged him. Haneul spun her around and kissed her on her cheek. Which surprisingly erupted a fit of giggles from her. When the whole class witnessed this, Daejun couldn't hold back a remark and said that they obviously like each other. The two denied having feelings for each other but both cheeks were red and they took a cautious step away from the other. This action managed to frustrate Daejun and he ended up yelling "You guys are hopeless!" while stomping away. (A/N: Oh, yessss~ I made Daejun into a mini-diva. And come on, we ALL want to yell at them by now.;D)

~

July

Eunmi was rolling around on her bed thinking about the past few months, not to mention a certain red head as well. As much as she would hate to admit, she did like the boy. Because yes, it was still just a crush. She hummed to a certain song and thought about him while doodling on her notepad.

Step 1: We were just two friends, having fun
Step 2: I couldn't take my mind off of you
Step 3, is when you put your arms around me
Step 4, we weren't 'just friends' anymore

She started to sing along by then and let her mind wander to Haneul.

When you look my way,
nothing left to say,
just the way that I feel;
It's all I can do.

Not to touch your lips,
not to kiss your face,
nothing left to say.

That was when she blushed a bright red and looked down on her notepad. Seeing it filled with hearts and 'Mineul' in the centre of a particular one made her face flush darker. She immediately turned off her iPod, tore the evidence and threw it to God-knows-where. She grabbed a pillow and burried her face in it. She screamed and took a shower to calm herself down.

~
Haneul was just reading a novel in his room when Daejun came bursting in. He screamed, surprised and threw his book in the air. Daejun caught it before it hit the ground and looked up to Haneul whom was rubbing circles on his chest trying to calm down. He wore a glare and snatched the book from Daejun, quickly marking the page before placing it on his study table.

"What? I just saved your book and you glare at me?" Daejun exclaimed, appaulled. He saved the book and all he got was a glare in return? 

Some friend.

"You deserve that glare. What the hell? You come bursting in my room and scared the hell out off me!" he yelled.
"What is it anyway?" he asked, bored.

Daejun looked lost for a second and he remembered why he came in the first place.

"Dude, remember how you said that you like Eunmi?" heasked enthusiastically. Haneul nodded slowly, still confused.
"Well, me and Namee hatched a plan. It's simple, ask her out." 
Haneul's eyes widened.
"No, I'm not going too. You call this brilliant?" he immediately rejected.
"Oh well, I guess. Saeju's going to be happy though." he turned around and smirked.
"Wait, what are you talking about?"
"Well, there's going to be an unofficial theme park where you have to be in couples. If you won't go with her, Saeju's going to ask her. She already turned down tons off requests already. Namee told me." He replied, faking being disinterested.
Daejun saw red flash in Haneul's eyes.
"But since you don't want too. I'll just tell Namee you're not doing our plan." he said and grabbed the doorknob.
"Hold up. I'll do it. But only because there's no way I'm letting those creeps near my Eunmi." he seethed. Daejun raised an eyebrow at that statement.

Your Eunmi?

"Okay. Eunmi will be there. The theme park is three blocks away from Yeonggi Park, 8pm, Saturday." he said and chuckled before leaving him to fume.

Once out off his house, Daejun fished his cellphone from his pocket and dialed Namee's number.
"Got him."

You idiot, there's no 'couple's only' theme park.

He rolled his eyes and grinned.

~

Eunmi huffed. She didn't want to follow Namee and her boyfriend, Sanchul to the theme park. She hated it. She'd feel like a third wheel. She opted to bring a date off her own but she knew that'd cause more drama. Plus, the penguin's face that invaded her mind when she thought off the idea made her cancel it.

So now, here she was, standing in the middle off the theme park while Namee's off having fun with Sanchul. She hated it.

She sighed and went to a stall and asked for a drink. When she was about to pay, someone beat her to it.

"Hey, I didn't need help I could pay for myself tha-" he words caught in when she made eye contact with the culprit.
"H-haneul?" she questioned and her heart skipped a beat.
"Hey." he beamed at her and they stared in each others eyes.

Eunmi felt in a trance and was quick to shake it off but her heart wasn't calming down.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, confused. Haneul raised an eyebrow.

I thought Daejun said that-

His eyes widened at the realization and mentally cursed himself for falling into the trap.

"Umm, Haneul?" she waved a hand in front off him.
"Huh? What? Oh n-nothing. I came with Daejun and he sort off ditched me. So, seeing as you're obviously ditched too, wanna go on a date?" he asked and mentally patted himself for his quick thinking.
"I wasn't ditched." she defended herself.
"Really?" he looked at her, amused and mischief twinkling in his eyes.
"Okay maybe I was.." she trailed off and looked at the ground.
"Hmm.. Then, would you go on a date with a humble person like me, Your Highness?" he spoke in English and bowed in front off her. 
She giggled and took his hand that he held out for her. Truthfully, Haneul had no idea what possesed him to be so bold but he kind off liked it if he got to hear her giggles.

They laced their fingers together and Eunmi's face was flushed. She bit her bottom lip and wasn't paying attention to anything in front off her. She accidentally bumped a guy and he shot her a mean glare and she uttered a small "Sorry".
Haneul pulled her closer to him and she looked up at him questioningly.
"So that a certain fox doesn't end up bumping into everyone." he whispered to her. Her face flushed harder and she hit him lightly.

The first ride they got on was a rollercoaster and when they sat down in their seats, Eunmi noticed that Hanuel was squirming in his seat.

"You okay?" she cocked an eyebrow and concern laced her voice as she spoke.
"Huh? Y-yeah. I''m fine." he forced a smile that she didn't buy one bit. She opened to ask him again when the ride began to move slowly. Haneul shook harder than a leaf and it dawned on Eunmi.
"Are you scared off heights?" she tried to surpress a smirk but failed.
"I'm not." he uttered quickly and put on a pokerface.

She shrugged as they came to a high drop and Haneul's eyes widened as they neared it. When they finally came to the drop, Eunmi held his hand tightly and gave him a reassuring smile. But not before smirking and saying "Don't worry, you can hug me if you want.".

"As if."

And the cart went down, Haneul screamed to the top off his lungs and hugged the girl for dear life. She however, was laughing hysterically. He panted and screamed so much that Eunmi was wondering if he was fine. At the end off the ride, his face was pale and he shakily got out off the ride followed by a concerned Eunmi.

"Hey, you okay?" she asked, truly worried by the colour off his face. He blinked once and looked at her. Suddenly, he smiled a crooked smile feeling his confidence returning.
"How was my acting?" he whispered, his breath hitting her neck and she felt a shiver run down her spine.

Too close.

She backed a bit and stared at him dumbfoundedly.
"There's no way you faked that." she commented.
"Whatever." he shrugged and they decided to eat at a stall.

Eunmi was happily enjoying her cotton candy while waiting for Haneul to return from the ticket booth. Suddenly a guy sat down beside her. She rolled her eyes.

"Finally. I thought you were gonna take the whole night." she scoffed and froze when she realized, no it was not Song Haneul.

It was Park Saeju.

He cocked an eyebrow, confused.
"Eun-ah~ What are you talking about?" he asked her, trying to be cute. She rolled her eyes.
"I'm waiting for Haneul." she replied simply and got up to look for him. Saeju's eyes twitched in annoyance and grabbed her wrist.
"Oh. You're here with him huh?" he asked through gritted teeth. She glared at him and tried to break free from his hold but he only tightened it.
"Why? You're together with that loser now? I thought we had something Eun-ah~" the way he said her name made her shiver but not in the way Haneul did. She noticed the angry look in his eyes and something about them looked crazed. An alarm went off in her head.
"Saeju, let go off me. I'm serious and we don't have anything." she glared albeit feeling scared and started to look frantically around for Haneul.
"Now why would you say that?" he chuckled darkly and began closing the space between them. Eunmi shut her eyes and cursed her body for freezing up.

But the kiss never came.

She opened an eye and saw Saeju on the ground with Haneul above him. Haneul looked enraged and was breathing heavily.

"H-haneul?" she whispered softly but said boy heard it and turned around, all traces off anger gone and concern replaced them.
"You okay? He didn't do anything to you right? I'll hit him if he did anything to you." He rambled while checking her.

She slowly shook her head, still in shock and he sighed. He took her arm and pulled her to the Ferris wheel. After handing the man their tickets, they got on. They sat facing each other. Haneul was looking at the people below and Eunmi was looking at her shaking hands.

After a few seconds he slowly took her hands in his larger ones and placed a kiss on the back off each hand. Eunmi looked at him questioningly.
"You're safe now okay?" he said softly and she burst into tears.
She wrapped her hands around his neck and cried in his shoulder. The whole time, he rubbed soothing cirlcles on her back and muttering sweet words of comfort into her ear. She was reduced to occasional hiccups and her eyes were red.
He lightly kissed her eyelids and when they got out, Haneul wrapped his jacket on her and pulled down the hoodie to hide her. He took her hand and brought her to the restroom to wash her face. Eunmi was grateful he did that and knew he didn't want her to get unwanted stares.

She came out off the restroom and they walked together hand-in-hand. Eunmi stopped when she saw a penguin plushie at the stand. Haneul looked in the same direction and smiled, pulling her there.

"What are you doing?" voice slightly hoarse from the crying.
"I'm getting you that penguin plushie." he replied confidently. Her eyes widened at that statement.
"Impossible! You need to knock the cans three times in a row! And usually the games are rigged." she whispered the last part, afraid the staff would hear.

He turned to her and kissed her cheek. Her eyes widened and before she could ask, he cut her.
"For luck." he grinned and took the ball.
He threw it and the cans fell down. Eunmi was in shock.
He threw again and got the same results.
Before he threw the third one he whispered to her, "One more and I'll get you that penguin." he smirked. She rolled her eyes.
"Like I said, it's im-" he threw the ball and the cans fell to the ground. "-possible." she finished with wide eyes.
He turned to her and smirked.
"The penguin please." he asked the staff and hand it to her.

She bit her bottom lip and he brought her to a table near the games section. They sat down in complete silence as Eunmi admired the penguin.

"Thanks." she uttered softly and squeezed the plush toy tightly.

Haneul stared at her for the longest time and inhaled slowly.

"Eunmi, there's something I want to tell you..." he spoke slowly. She turned to him and he felt like he was going to pull back but forced himself to finish it.

"I like you. I really really like you. In fact, I think I love you."

He stared at her.
Her heart sped up uncontrollably.

Love..?

"I know I'm being selfish but do you... love me back?" he questioned slowly, silently dreading the answer. That's it, he ed up. He ruined their friendship.

When she didn't reply, he stood up and started to leave, trying to save himself from the heart break.

As he took a step forward, a tug on his sleeve made him turn around. Eunmi was looking down and he already felt his heart start to break. She looked up and Haneul was stunned speechless. Her eyes, told everything. There were so many emotions swimming in those brown orbs that Haneul was taken in by it.

"I.." he looked at her expectantly.
"I love you too." she whispered.

Haneul said nothing but pulled her and bent down to place a soft kiss on her bow-shapped lips. It contained pur happiness. Haneul was elated and Eunmi was about to be whisked away by her feelings when cheers brought her out off it.

The teens turned around and saw their whole class. Some were grinning and some were groaning.

"I WON ES!" Namee exclaimed and Sangwoo followed by a few others groaned.
The group started giving and handing money towards each other.
Eunmi's eyes went wide when she realized what's happening.

"YOU GUYS MADE A BET ON US?!" she shrieked and they laughed.
"Well, yeah. You guys were so obvious." Imhyun commented.
"What the hell guys?" Haneul stepped in, pissed off.
"Come on dude, you got the girl. It's fair." Daejun brushed it off.

Haneul grinned and looked over at Eunmi who was practically hitting Namee repeatedly.

"Eun-ah~" she turned around and he immediately kissed her passionately. The guys all groaned and the girls were squealing, taking pictures. Eunmi's face was flushed and Haneul pulled away looking down at her.
"Know what?" he turned to the guys.
"You're right." he kissed her forehead.
Eunmi regained control off herself and slapped Haneul away.
"ing idiots!" she growled and walked away. Haneul's eyes widened and picked the plushie on the ground and ran up to her, frantically trying to apologise.

The rest off their classmates looked at them and shook their heads, all thinking the same thing.

Good luck, Haneul.

~

Two months later,

September.

Eunmi was walking beside Namee and they were talking absentmidedly.

"You do realize that you were wrong and I was right." Namee said. Eunmi cocked an eyebrow.
"What?"
"You ended up together with Haneul and you fell in love with him." she grinned. Eunmi blushed slightly and stopped to look at her friend.
"Yeah but I was still right though." she grinned.
"About what?" Namee narrowed her eyes.
"Love is four months." she sighed happily and they continued walking.

"Eun-ah!" both girls stopped and saw Haneul. Haneul signalled for Eunmi to come to him. Eunmi turned to Namee as if seeking permission. Namee nodded and she ran towards him. They hugged and he spun her around. They shared a sweet kiss and left together.

Namee, who witnessed everything smiled and shook her head.

Love is four months and you fell hard Eun-ah.

She smirked and opened the door to the library.

~

So yes, I, Lee Eunmi ended up with the famous Song Haneul. And eventhough I had to go through all that drama, it was still worth it. 
So, yes, love is four months. Did I fell? 
.
.
.
Hell yes.