Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Two unfortunate people meet at an unfortunate situation. Lee Kikwang and Jeon Hyosung suffered from incurable diseases. Hyosung, an 18 years old girl whose dream was crushed since a year ago had a weak heart ever since she was a child but it all ends for her when she was told that she didn’t have much time anymore.

 

Lee Kikwang on the other hand suffered from a hepatitis type B. He would stay at the hospital once in awhile which he hates the most. Despite his illness, Kikwang is a cheerful guy who always got scolded by his doctor for being disobedient.

 

One day the taciturn Hyosung was transferred to the hospital where Kikwang ‘frequent’ because the facilities are more advanced than her previous hospital. Hyosung always stayed in her room and her only companions are books. She loves books and her dream was to enter the Seoul University but it had turned to a fantasy. “You don’t have much time anymore, ms. Jeon.” Hyosung still remember the words that her doctor said a year ago. She needed a heart transplant if she wants to survive.

 

Few days after Hyosung was transferred, Kikwang visited the hospital because he had an appointment with the doctor. He walked to the doctor’s office using the same route as he always had but the one empty room was now being used by a girl. He glanced at the girl inside the room through the pane then continued his movement. 

 

“What did I tell you? Didn’t I ask you not to do sports? Why are you so stubborn, Mr. Lee?” Doctor Kim scolded him for the nth time.

 

Being his usual self, Kikwang cheerfully replied, “Okay, okay doctor. I won’t do it again. Now don’t get mad~” he flashed his signature smile. Who would want to scold this cute guy.

 

“By the way,” Kikwang started, “Who is that girl in room 203? I never seen her before,” Kikwang asked about the girl who he had saw earlier when he was on his way to doctor Kim’s office. His sudden question sparked the doctor’s interest.

 

“She just transferred here few days ago.” Doctor Kim looked at her patient wittily, “Why? Are you interested at her?”

 

But to her dismay Kikwang ignored her question and asked her further, “What’s her illness?”

 

“She suffered from a heart disease. From what I know she needed a heart transplant as soon as possible,” the doctor explained filling Kikwang’s curiosity. She continued after a pause, “You know what? Why don’t you try befriending her? She’s too quiet and I never seen her come out of her room. After all you’re around the same age.” Kikwang thought over the doctor’s suggestion. It might be a good idea. It’s not hurt to try, he thought.

 

“I’ll try!” Kikwang replied and with that he went out of the doctor’s room. He used the same route he had use before and stop his track in front of the girl’s room. He hesitated at first but he decided to give it a shot. Kikwang knocked on the door but there was no reply. Then he opened the door slowly. The girl was sitting on her bed with a book in her hand. She looked unconcerned with Kikwang’s presence.

 

“Hi!” Kikwang greeted her but she didn’t reply, her eyes locked on the book. Wow what a girl, he thought. He took a stool and sat beside her.

 

“What are you reading?” Kikwang asked, he flashed a smile.

 

“None of your business.” The pale girl simply replied. Kikwang stayed silent for a moment as he didn’t know what else to say then he saw apples on the table beside him so he offered, “You want apple? I can peel it for you,” and without waiting for the girl’s answer Kikwang peeled one apple and cut it into 6 slices. Few minutes passed but she still didn’t eat.

 

“I have to go now. I’ll come again tomorrow. Nice meeting you by the way,” Kikwang opened the door then looked back to the girl, “See ya!”

 

When Kikwang’s figure was gone, Hyosung looked up from her book and stared at the untouched apples on the table. After a few moments she took one slice of apple and eat it. Unknowingly she smiled, for the first time in awhile. Unfortunately no one was there to witness it.

 

The following day, Kikwang visited her again. He met doctor Kim when he entered the hospital.

 

“Why are you here? Are you not feeling well?” The doctor asked her patient. She sounded worried. Kikwang assured her that he’s fine and told her his true intention. She looked pleased when she heard Kikwang,

 

“That’s a good idea, Kikwang. Okay, see you around.” They parted ways with doctor Kim went to a ward at the opposite direction of Kikwang. The latter took a deep breath before he opened the door, “Hello again!” Kikwang greeted the sick girl with a smile plastered on his face. As usual, Hyosung sat on her bed while reading her book. It was a different one from the previous day.

 

“Did you finish the apple yesterday?” Kikwang asked as he took a stool near the table and sat on it.

 

“No,” Hyosung lied but Kikwang smiled as he knew that the girl lied.

 

“You love books eh?” Kikwang was shocked to see a pile of thick books scattered on the bed in front of Hyosung and she was about to gave him one but stopped with his next statement, “I hate books the most. It gave me headaches.” Kikwang could hear Hyosung sighed. Did I say the wrong thing, he thought. Hyosung looked outside the window. The weather was nice.

 

“Nice weather. Do you wanna go outside? I can help you,” Kikwang offered. He looked at Hyosung for an answer and after a few moments she nodded. Kikwang helped her sit on a wheelchair and pushed the wheelchair. They went to the park outside and Kikwang sat on an empty bench. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, feeling the wind that might blew his hair if he wasn’t wearing his beanie that time.

 

“Aren’t it refreshing to go outside once in a while?” Kikwang smiled at Hyosung and was flabbergasted when he saw Hyosung smiled.

 

“Did you just smile?”

 

Hyosung was quickly to retort, “No” and looked away, avoiding the guy’s gaze. Her cheeks reddened making Kikwang laughed at the embarrassed Hyosung.

 

Kikwang realized something and uttered “By the way, you haven’t told me your name yet.”

 

“Jeon Hyosung,” Hyosung replied in a low tone that Kikwang could barely heard. She let out a cough and repeated again with a little high tone so Kikwang could hear it, “Jeon Hyosung.”

 

“Such a beautiful name. I’ll call you Hyosung then.” Kikwang left Hyosung to buy drinks and some snacks. Hyosung was lost in thoughts that she didn’t realize Kikwang already came back. She came back to reality when a familiar voice called her name, “Hyosung? What are you thinking about?”

 

“Nothing,” she replied and hold the cup of hot chocolate that Kikwang bought earlier. “Kikwang,” Hyosung spoke, breaking the silence from a moment ago.

 

“So you remember my name!” Kikwang grinned but Hyosung looked somewhere else.

 

“Why are you treating me this way?” Hyosung asked. It was the first time she said something longer than a word. Kikwang didn’t get what she meant so he asked back, “What way?”

 

“Like right now. You treat me well like you know me when we are complete strangers,” Hyosung expressed what she had in mind. Kikwang pulled Hyosung’s wheelchair closer and they faced each other. Kikwang looked at Hyosung’s eyes, “So you don’t like it? That I’m treating you this way?”

 

“No! No, that’s not what I meant. I… I just wanna know, that’s all.”

 

Kikwang smiled before he gave his answer, “I’m just curious about you.”

 

Hyosung also asked about Kikwang’s reason for going to the hospital, “Why are you here? Are you visiting someone?”

 

Kikwang coolly replied, “I have an appointment with doctor Kim. I have been a patient of her for a very long time,”

 

“Are you sick somewhere…?” Hyosung asked, curious. She didn’t expect to hear that.

 

“I was diagnosis with hepatitis B a long time ago,” he stated.

 

The sun was almost down. The sunset looked so beautiful. “It’s been so long…” Hyosung uttered.

 

They went back inside when the sun was completely gone. Apparently Hyosung doctor was searching for her since afternoon. They forgot to tell the doctor that they went outside. Hyosung was scolded, “Where were you! Why didn’t you tell me that you went outside?” but she stayed silent. Kikwang replied instead, “ Sorry doctor. It’s my fault. I was the one that brought her outside.”

 

“No, doctor. It was my fault. Don’t blame Kikwang,” Hyosung declared.

 

“Is he your boyfriend? I didn’t know you had a boyfriend.”  Doctor Choi looked at Hyosung then at Kikwang then back to Hyosung, beaming a smile. He look pleased as it was the first time Hyosung talked to other people other than him and the nurse.

 

Both Kikwang and Hyosung said in unison, “NO!” earning a chuckle from the doctor. He left the two after he assured that his patient’s in a good condition “I leave her to you, Kikwang.”

 

“I need to go home. I promise I’ll visit again tomorrow, okay? Now, go to sleep.” Kikwang patted Hyosung head and shot a smile before he exited the room.

 

Contrary to what he had promised, Kikwang didn’t come for few days. Hyosung had no idea that Kikwang was admitted to the hospital the day after he visited her. Apparently he overworked himself, reading some books so he can talk about what he read with Hyosung. He borrowed some books from the library, most of them were thick and brought it back home. Naturally he felt tired because of its weight.

 

 

“How are you feeling today?” Doctor Kim asked when she entered Kikwang’s room. As usual, Kikwang replied with “I’m fine,” and grinned when obviously he looked weak on that bed. His face was a bit pale.

 

“Didn’t I tell you to res—“ before she could finish, Kikwang cut her off, “Alright, alright. I’m sorry,” he continued, “Can I visit Hyosung today? I promised to visit her. She must be mad at me right now,” Kikwang sighed.

 

“No! You still need to rest. You look pale right now.” The doctor commanded but Kikwang insisted so the doctor had no other choice but to obliged with his request, “With one condition. Come back here after an hour, okay?”

 

Kikwang smiled, “Roger that!” he had a hard time standing up because he didn’t move from his bed for a few days. He arrived in front of Hyosung’s room after what felt like forever. He tried his best to smile then opened the door, cheerfully greeted Hyosung who was surprised to see Kikwang in that state. 

 

“Are you sick?” Hyosung sounded worried.

 

“I’m fine~” He smiled then sat beside Hyosung on the bed making the latter flustered at Kikwang’s action.

 

“You don’t mind right?”

 

“Y-Yes.” Hyosung stuttered.

 

They talked for awhile and unknowingly they already spent an hour together. A knock on the door interrupted them then a nurse came in informing Kikwang that his visit time’s over and he had to go back to his room and take a rest.

 

“You need to take your medicine, sir,” the nurse commanded.

 

“Can I just eat it here?” Kikwang pleaded, making puppy eyes. The nurse hesitated, afraid that the doctor might scold her but luckily doctor Kim came.

 

“Doctor Kim! Can I take my medicine here?” Again making puppy eyes.

 

 “But you already promise,” but looking at the two patients, doctor Kim sighed and she unwillingly gave in.

 

Few months had passed, they were much closer and Hyosung’s condition was making a positive progress, thanks to Kikwang. But she shouldn’t get too excited because it might give a bad impact to her health. She also looked brighter than how she was before she knew Kikwang.

 

Just like any other day, Kikwang visited Hyosung but he unusually brought a bouquet of baby pink roses surprising Hyosung. What’s up with the flower, she thought.

 

“Is it your birthday today?” She asked confused. Kikwang stayed quiet for a moment then gave the bouquet he was holding to the girl before him and spoke, “ Hyosung, I think I had fall for you. I… I love you, Hyosung.” Clearly Hyosung was flustered to hear Kikwang’s sudden confession. Without much thoughts, Hyosung accepted his flower and confessed her feelings too.

 

Kikwang hugged his girlfriend tightly and Hyosung felt warm in his embrace “I love you. I’ll always love you, Hyosung.”

 

They spent the day at the park outside the hospital like how they did the second time they met. Hyosung was all smile clasping hands with Kikwang and rested her head on her boyfriend’s broad shoulder. If I could just pause this time right now.

 

This sweet moment didn’t last long as Hyosung’s heart suddenly stopped the next day and she was admitted to the ICU. Kikwang, oblivious to her situation went to the hospital cheerfully but surprised to see the empty room.

 

“Excuse me nurse, where is the girl that had stayed in this room?” Kikwang asked to the nurse that was passing by.

 

“You mean Ms. Jeon? She was admitted to the ICU today,” the nurse informed. Upon hearing the news, Kikwang rushed to the ICU. Hyosung’s mother was outside the ICU room, talking with a doctor.

 

“Doctor Choi! What happened to Hyosung? What happened to her? Is she okay?” Kikwang panicky asked.

 

“She’s fine for now. Kikwang, I need to ask you something,”

 

“Go on doctor,”

 

“Did something happened to her yesterday?” Doctor Choi asked.

 

Kikwang hesitated at first but eventually told the truth, “Actually, I confessed to her yesterday.”

 

The doctor smiled, felt happy for the couple and also worried, “I could have guess. She looked so happy this morning but… as you may know Hyosung shouldn’t feel overly happy because it’s bad for her heart.”

 

It was evident that Kikwang felt guilty for making the person he love ‘overly-happy’ as if it was a sin. Doctor Choi noticed at the sudden change of Kikwang’s expression so he comforted him, “I’m not saying it’s your fault an I’m not saying it  was wrong but she is my patient.”

 

“I’ll remember that,” Kikwang gave a weak smile. He entered the ICU and rushed to where Hyosung was. Kikwang held the helpless Hyosung’s hands tightly as tears escaped his eyes.

 

“Thank you god for giving Hyosung a second chance,”

 

“Are you… Lee Kikwang?” Kikwang looked up to his right and a middle-aged woman looked at him.

 

“Y-Yes,” he immediately wiped his tears away.

 

“Nice to meet you. I’m Hyosung’s mother.” she noticed Kikwang was panting heavily. “Are you okay, son? You look pale,” She asked worriedly.

 

“Y-Yes ma’am. I just need some rest and I’ll be okay in no time,” Kikwang flashed a weak smile.

 

After a few hours Hyosung finally woke up. She looked at her side and saw Kikwang sleeping with their fingers intertwined with each others’. Hyosung moved her body as she tried to sit down, waking up Kikwang.

 

“Oh? Hyosung you have woken up!” Kikwang’s face light up when he saw Hyosung. He immediately helped Hyosung sat down. “Thanks,” Hyosung smiled.

 

“Don’t you know how worried I was?” Kikwang caressed Hyosung’s cheeks. Eye bags were visible on Kikwang’s face. He must’ve cried a lot.

 

Hyosung held the guy’s hands and looked at Kikwang in the eyes, “I’m sorry, Kikwang.”

 

On the same day they received a very good news. Hyosung was able to get a heart transplant.

 

A year after, Hyosung fulfilled her dream as she was accepted to Seoul University.

 

Hyosung and Kikwang was still going strong and after 5 years relationship, Kikwang finally proposed to his ladylove, “Jeon Hyosung, will you spend the rest of your life with me?”