Unpleasant Encounter

Partners In Crime (PIC)

The young man strolled down the most happening street in town in his lack-of-ironing long sleeve shirt which sleeves he rolled up till above his elbow. He was carrying a branded hand-carry with him that looked like it is having a bad indigestion for days.

He stopped outside a bar that was at the extreme end of the street and was pretty deserted. Before entering, he leaned over to the door and tidied his hazelnut brown hair with bright orange highlight in the reflective black glass.

Satisfied with his hair now, he carefully checked is dark brown orbs for any unwanted substance and then he turned his head slowly to check out his skin, which happen to be flawless. Perfect! He thought and was about to reach for the handle when the door swung open suddenly and hit him right in the face.

“Ouch!” He stepped back a few steps in pain, cupping onto his nose with his right hand.

A petite woman with long-red hair tied into a ponytail pulled her earpiece out from her sling bag as she exited from the bar. She puts her earpiece into both ears, pushed the ‘Play’ button on her IPod before putting it into the pocket in her black vest.

“Stop right there!” he called out to her in frustration. But she continued her way down the street.

The young man was infuriated. How rude of her? He stormed up to in front of the woman and blocked her way, “Apologise!” he demanded.

She frowned in annoyance, her brown orbs narrowed at him as she took one of her earpieces out, “what?”

He pointed to his nose which is still red and slightly swollen from the bump, “you hit me while …”

She raised a brow at him and folded her arms in front of her. “Who is the idiot who is checking him damn self right outside the door?” she sneered.

“I …” he wanted to defend himself but he couldn’t find any excuse out of this one. And so, he just stood there, with his mouth slightly ajar.

She smirked victoriously at the guy before she slowly brings her earpiece up to her ear and while doing so, she marched down the street.

“I demand medical fees!” Raising his voice to make sure that she could hear him even with those earpieces, he once again walked up to in front of the lady and blocked her from advancing forward.

She rolled her eyes and then scowled at him, before she attempted to continue her way down.

But he was firm; he didn’t let her go pass him this time. He lifted his head a little with his chin pointing at her flawless face with little powder on.

“Why should I?” she glared hard at him and hissed, with her arm crossed.

He smirked, “I will come every day.” He looked her from head to toe and then pointed at the door, “You work in there, don’t you?”

She took out both her earpiece and looked down at her attire – black vest over white long sleeve button on blouse and black pencil skirt. It is not that hard to tell. “How can you be so sure? There is no rule against people wearing like a bartender.” She is not going to let him win though.

He chuckled, “well then. I will start coming here every day starting tomorrow. If I see you working here, I make sure you lose your job.” He threatened with a smirk.

She narrowed her eyes at the guy before smirking back, “I don’t think you can afford that.” She raised a brow at him as she slowly looked down at his hand-carry.

“Why?” he asked, both curious and surprised.

“Look at yourself. Although you’re in office wear, but your shirt is like crumbled paper, I guess it haven’t been ironed for a while.” She slowly walked to her side of him and then glances at his wrist, “a successful man always wears a watch to show off his status. You have had one, but somehow all was left was an impression indicating where it once sat.”

His eyes widened in astonishment. She had got him, but he wasn’t going to show and let her gloat. So he puts on a smile instead, “don’t act all ‘Sherlock Homes’ with me.”

She raised a brow victoriously at him. “Your eyes just betrayed you. And that smile isn’t helping.” She smirked, “you’re probably jobless and chased out of your house. I’ve seen so many like you who came in acting all rich and powerful.” She rolled her eyes and then continued her way down.

He stood there in shock for a second or two before he span around, “well, then I will make sure you join me in my jobless status!”

She didn’t turn around this time, but raised her hand over her shoulder and erected her middle finger.

***

He opened his eyes and squinted at the irritating sun, trying to shield his eyes with his arm.

He erected slowly from the bench in the park and then strolled to the public toilet, where he cleaned himself up and changed into a new set of clothes.

Exiting from the cubicle with his stinky clothes in hand, he washed them hastily with some soap from the dispenser and water. After which, he hanged them on a broom stick which he placed in between 2 walls of the cubicle.

After he was done with all his hanging, he turned to get out when he saw his own reflection in the mirror – he looked wrecked and haggard. His once flawless face now has stubbles under his nose and around his chin. And his 120 watt eyes were now tired and puffy.

He reached up slowly and touched his oily cheek. “Why did I end up like this?”

***

The young female jumped out of bed when her alarm on her phone rang once again. Forcing open her eyes, she looked at her black Iphone 3GS – 3:30pm. She sighed, slowly and reluctantly forced herself out of bed. She stretched a little before crawling in a motion that would be on par with the Koala bears to the edge of her wooden single bed which bent and squeak on every movement she made.

The rented room was so small that she can reach for her cupboard with ease while sitting at the edge of her bed. She grabbed the uniform - black vest over white long sleeve button on blouse and black pencil skirt, which she had hanged at the knob of her cupboard and then slowly made her way to the bathroom, which are only 6 to 7 steps away.

She had to squeeze her way through as it was small as hell. It has the bath, basin and toilet bowl lined up linearly and then with only a distance not more than 35cm away from the wall/door where the person must squeeze in to use the facilities.

She always thought that the toilet has a serious problem with discrimination towards the not-so-slim people as they would probably never be able to get in.
Sighing, she brushed her teeth and then washed her face at the super small basin that could hardly fit her both hands, before looking up at the big mirror above.

She stared at her own reflection in the mirror for 10 seconds, before she sighed and made her way out.

***

“Hi, Hebe.” The male bartender greeted as the red-hair female entered the bar from the back door.

She smiled briefly at him as she entered into the ‘staff-only’ room behind the counter. She placed her bag into a small locker and then tied her messy hair into a neat ponytail before exiting.

After exiting, she walked over to her colleague and helped with moving the chairs down.

“Leave this kind of chores to the guys.” He joked, tossed her the keys and then looked over at the closed glass door with the sign ‘welcome’ facing them, “you just have to unlock the door and flip that sign!”

“Ok, sure.” She decided it’s not so bad though, at least she can slack.

She lazily strolled over to the glass door, flipped the sign and then unlocked the lock at the bottom. She then stood up slowly with the help of the metal handle.

As she looked up from the lock, she saw a distorted face outside. He seems to be smirking at her. It seems familiar. Especially that brown hair and orange highlight.

She let go of the handle and he pulled the door open. The guy entered, still holding onto his branded hand-carry.

“Hi, we meet again.” He said sarcastically, with a smirk. He is now dressed in branded suit from head to toe and can pass off as an affluent 2nd generation.

She rolled her eyes, “so you’re serious about that lame threat?” She walked over to behind the counter and grabbed a menu out.

“Welcome, Sir.” The boss happened to enter from the back door, “this way.” He led him to a table.

The young male sat down and then looked over to Hebe, “can I request that she serve me?” He pulled a $30 from his pocket and then flashed it at the boss. The boss eyes sparkled and he quickly puts the money in his pocket.

“Hebe!” he called out to her and she walked over reluctantly, “serve the customer!”

Hebe forced a fake smile, “yes.” And when the boss walked away, she glared at the customer, “what do you want?”

He didn’t bother to look up at her; he just flipped the menu open. “I thought I told you?” he looked up at her with a sinister smirk, and whispered in a breathy voice. “To get you fired.”

She erected her finger at him again, but of course remembering to shield it from her boss with her slim body. “Don’t you dare!”

“Such bad attitude!” he suddenly raised his voice and it caused everyone to turn and look at him.

The boss hurried over, “I am sorry, Sir but what happened?”
The guy took out his smart-phone and flashed a photo on it.

“How can you be so vulgar to customer!” the boss roared after looking at the photo he took when she pointed her finger at him.

“But he harassed me!” she protested while glaring at that bastard.

“I didn’t. Why would I?” He said calmly, “I was looking through the menu, deciding what to get.”

“Then why did you take a photo?” she snapped.

The boss looked over slowly at the customer, “that is kinda true, why did you need to take a photo?”

He only smiled, “you menu is really interesting. I wish to share it online, with my colleague and friends from prestigious firms and companies.“ he drew his wallet out from the pocket and on purpose dropped a stack of name-cards onto the floor.

The boss helped to pick up when he saw that all of them were big shots.

“Sorry, Sir.” He returned he cards politely before turning to Hebe. “Apolgise now!” he demanded. He had already secretly listed the customer as a VIP.

She looked over at her boss, with her eye widen in surprise and anger. “Why should I apologise? He harassed and took a photo of me without permission!” She looked down at the despicable man with her arms folded. “Plus he is not as rich as you think he is! He is just a jobless jerk!”

“Apologise now or you’re fired!” the boss roared before turning to the VIP, “sorry sir. Just ignore her mindless words.”

The customer only smirked at Hebe victoriously.
She rolled her eyes, annoyed and then she bent down to look the guy straight in the eye, “You win! Bastard!” she then turned and head for the ‘staff-only’ room.

He only watched smugly.

***

Hebe stormed out of the bar with some cash in her hand, “can’t believe I am left with only $103 now!” She stuffed the cash into her pocket and then cursed, “it’s all that ing bastard fault!”

“Don’t give me so much credit!” he exited too and is now standing right behind the woman.

She ignored him and carried on her way down the street.
“I told you, I will make you join me in my jobless status.” He said cockily as he caught up with her, “but you have to give that money-minded ex-boss of yours some credit! He is so easy to manipulate!”

She stopped and glared at him, “so what good does making me jobless do you?”

He stopped too and pondered for a second, “revenge is sweet?”

“WHAT?” she stared at him with a face that shows a mixture of frustration and astonishment. She couldn’t believe his lame motive.

He only shrugged and then carried his way down. And she carried on her way too.

***

“Why are you following me?” he snapped and stopped outside a local park. They are already out of the happening town and entered the more residential area.

She rolled her eyes, “I am going home!” She stormed passed him and walk down the street towards the stretch of old rental houses. While he walked into the park and looked for a bench to settle down.