Chapter 3

I Will Dedicate This Life to You

“May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.”

― Trenton Lee Stewart, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey


 I silently close the door from behind me, glancing around. I walk swiftly into the kitchen and sigh. Good, nobody’s awake yet. I hum, getting out cookware and such, delighted in finding everything so quickly. This is why I had watched Jaejoong so intensely last night. The idea had been brewing in my head since the night before, and if I want to make the members breakfast, then, I’d better know where everything is.

I prop open my laptop, pulling up the recipes I had oh-so-casually looked at yesterday. Skimming it, I balance a couple of eggs in my hands and crack them open. Getting out all the ingredients necessary for filling, I proceed to finish the dish. I had read that most South Korean breakfasts are pretty similar to the other meals of the day, usually rice and a lot of side dishes.

Well, I’m putting a lot of rice in the omurice, so that should be alright. I start on the second dish: SK potato pancakes. I wince when the frying oil gives a sharp hiss as I drop the mixture in, spoonful by spoonful. I glance around wildly, desperately hoping the guys wouldn’t wake up. It’s still early, but in order to do this, I’ll need to hurry. I pile all the pancakes in a stack on a big plate, and start on my last dish. It’s combining a Japanese dish called tsukemono (salted/pickled vegetables) with a flavored broth and meat and some rice. I sip some of the broth, smiling in satisfaction. Humming some sort of incoherent melody, I lay everything out on the table.

A few minutes later, I hear some shuffling, and then Yoochun walks towards the table, rubbing his eyes with the heel of his hand.

“Good morning!” I chirp, setting down some glasses.

He smiles at me, sleepily. “Good morn—” he stops as his eyes land on the food. He looks at me, surprised. “Um…you made all of this?”

I nod cheerfully. “Are the other two awake?”

Just as I say this, Jaejoong and Junsu sleepily stumble their way over to the table, muttering to each other. Jaejoong takes a look at the table, his eyes widening.

“Yah!” he shouts, whipping around to face me. “You-I-I said you did not have to make food! We’ll cook for you!”

I sigh, slightly exasperated. “If I’m going to be living here for about two months with you all, it’s not going to work that way.” I warn. “I like to cook too, and it’d be nice if we worked together for this.”

Jaejoong contemplates what I just said, and nods after a while. “Alright, but I’m teaching you a lot of Korean foods!” He grins at me, taking a seat. I laugh, nodding and we all grab some of the stuff I made.

“You made some Korean food!” Junsu says happily, cutting into his omurice. I nod, explaining about researching them and how it wasn’t too hard to make. I wait in anticipation as they all eat, but relax when seeing that they seem to be enjoying it.

Jaejoong pats my shoulder, “This is good! I’ll teach you other dishes so we can have a lot more food here in the dorm.” I breathe out a small sigh of relief. If I’ve got Jaejoong’s approval, then, I’m all good.

Yoochun sips some of the tsukemono soup, his expression agreeable. “This is good. Isn’t tsukemono Japanese?”

I nod, eating some of my own. “A couple years ago, I went to a Japanese restaurant on my college campus, and really liked their tsukemono. Then, I decided to combine it with broth, meat, and rice to make this dish.”

They all nod and we chatter about food, other countries, and stuff. As Jaejoong and I are cleaning the dishes, I hear some yelling coming from the living room. I glance at Jaejoong, and he just smirks at me, beckoning to me to follow.

We go and find Yoochun and Junsu intensely playing a video game on a PS3, fiercely battling it out. I shake my head, laughing. So this is what all that was about?

They give me the smallest of glances and smiles in return and continue to play. Jaejoong and I take a seat and watch. It looks like their avatars are racing somewhere and fighting each other along the way. Suddenly, Junsu’s character surges forwards, and ultimately, wins the game. He leaps, whooping. He shouts something happily at Yoochun, doing a little jig. Yoochun throws a pillow at him, and starts sulking. Jaejoong and I laugh, causing Micky to glare at us playfully. Junsu switches the console off, and he and Yoochun sit down, relaxed.

Yoochun glances at me, saying, “You know, Anika, I feel like you should tell us more about yourself. Sorta like 20 Questions, you can just tell us stuff about yourself.”

Jaejoong nods understandingly, “Ah, neh. We want to know more about your personality.”

I blink at them, incredulous. “I got on a flight to South Korea instead of Australia. Haven’t you guys figured out my personality by now?”

They chuckle and Junsu points out to me, “I’m sure that’s not everything. You’re more than clumsy.”

I shrug, but smile nonetheless. “Alright, but I do kinda feel a little weird just rambling on about random things in my life.”

Yoochun hums, thinking. After a second, he gets up and walks over to the bookshelf, grabbing a tiny plush of a bear. “Here we’ll do this. We’ll take turns throwing the bear and ask you about certain things and you can answer.” I nod, finding the method a bit more relaxing. Yoochun then gently throws the bear to me.

“Start with school,” Yoochun suggests.

“Well, like I mentioned before, I’m studying journalism and English/literature. I just finished my bachelor’s and will start my master’s in a couple of months.” My expression turns dreamy. “To be able to study journalism at a good college has always been a dream of mine. I really love to write, and now, I’m living out my dreams passionately.”

Jaejoong nods, “It’s good that you love what you’re studying. And it’s cool that you like to write.” He holds out his hands to receive the bear, and then asks, while tossing it back, “What are you like as a person, in general.” I think about it for a bit, and then decide on a small detail.

 “I’m a big dreamer…I’ve always been, ever since I was a child. My ability to space out can be quite alarming sometimes,” I laugh along with the members. “I tend to do that with books, as well,” I continue, “I love to read very, very much and I end up thinking a lot about the things I read. As well, as watch movies and dramas.” I look at Yoochun and smile. “Rooftop Prince is one of my favorite Korean dramas.”

He smiles, “Thanks. It was so fun to act in.” Next, it’s Junsu’s turn to ask me a question. “Favorite type of music?” he asks, smiling.

I answer easily, “I actually listen to pretty much everything. As long as I like the song/lyrics and music, I’ll listen to it. Just as long there’s not much profanity or something.” I think for a bit, and admit, “I listen to rock and pop the most, and I’m a huge er for ballads.”

“Arasso! Now, we can all see how your personality is, but how would you describe yourself?” Yoochun asks after a few minutes of going back and forth.

I think about it for a second. “I’m clumsy, and get flustered easily,” I smile, making the others sigh in mock-exasperation and gesture for me to continue.

“Okay, okay. A big thing is that while around people I don’t know very well, I can be very shy and quiet, but around my family and close friends, I get loud and happy and just more outgoing.” I look at the guys, and regard them thoughtfully. “I don’t know how you all did it, but I felt really comfortable with you all very quickly and easily.” 

Jaejoong flips his hair, faking a diva pose, “We’re amazing, that’s why.”

I laugh and continue, “I’m also someone that’s too motherly. All of my friends say this, anyway. I can see it myself,” I admit, “but, I can never help it!”

Junsu smiles at me, “You do seem motherly and gentle. Out of all of us, Jaejoong is like that the most.”

“Yes, I know!” I laugh. “That’s also another thing. I’ve always loved music so much, that I know a lot about the groups that I really like. That includes Super Junior, Big Bang, and you three- from your DBSK days up to now.”

We talk some more and find out a lot about each other. I talk about my family and friends, and even end up talking a lot about all the memories I’ve had with Oyshi, Amber, and Maryam and my other friends.

“—and I just stared at her like she was some kind of a serial killer!” I laugh at my own foolishness. “She just said ‘hey’ to me!” I recount the story of when Oyshi and I first talked to each other, causing the JYJ members to tease me about my crazy shyness. “But now, to this day, we really are best friends. I’ve never met someone who’s so different than me and yet, so much like me at the same time. And then, Maryam and Amber and I got close when we started talking about SHINee! Honestly, the first thing that Maryam ever said to me was, ‘Do you like SHINee?’”

JYJ proceed to tell me of their own crazy adventures, but then, Jaejoong pipes up, the little plush bear in his hands, “Anika, how about your love life? When did you have your first boyfriend? Or do you have one now?”

I blink at him, surprised. My ears grow stiflingly warm. “Er…I’ve never had a boyfriend…” I start awkwardly.

They stare at me, stunned. I bite back a smile, but continue, “Well, I’ve never had time for one and truthfully, I’m harsh when it comes to boys. I guess you could say I have high standards and just have never really wanted to date.”

“Ah, really?” Jaejoong muses. “You seem like that, in a way.” He snaps his fingers as if he’d just had an epiphany. “Then, describe to us your ideal type!”

I raise my eyebrows, and reach for the bear in his hands. “You all go first, then.”

Yoochun shrugs, “Alright. Well, personality-wise, I really don’t like girls who use profanity. If a girl curses, there’s no way I’d ever date them. Also, they have to have passion for the things that they do, but they have to regard me as their world.” He smiles, and Jaejoong and Junsu lightly. He ignores them and continues, “They should have a good sense of humor and be pretty feminine. I like it when girls cook and have a good mother-type role and be someone that I can grow and learn with together.”

“What about in terms of looks?” I prompt.

“I like it when girls tie up their hair in messy buns and stuff, I think it’s cute. Plus, my mom would do that a lot when I was a kid.” He grins fondly. “Also, they’d have to have nice hair and dress well.”

“Me next!” Jaejoong says, excited. “My ideal type would have to leave a good impression on me and love to be feminine and playful around me. They need to be understanding about my work and also be kindhearted and always tell me that they love me. Looks-wise, I want them to have short, straight hair, a petite figure, and have inner beauty.”

“What about pretty hands and feet?” I , knowing about his .

“Of course,” he grins. “I always look at the hands first, they need to be beautiful!”

I shake my head, smiling, and look over to Junsu. “How about you, Junsu-ss—”

I stop myself, remembering last night. ‘You can just say Jaejoong-oppa, Yoochun-oppa, and Junsu-oppa, now.’  I clear my throat, and star over. “How about you, Junsu…oppa?”

He grins at me, and says, “My ideal type has to have their own very strong morals and beliefs, something no one can change. They should also have inner beauty and be very smart and knowledgeable, as well as be very understanding. They should be very cheerful and have good music sense too.”

“You want a positive girl, because you’re always so negative,” Yoochun teases.

Junsu sticks out his tongue at him and continues, “No, I’m not! Anyway, I don’t like it when girls overreact or dress too fancy for something little. For looks, it doesn’t really matter because if I like them very much, then they’ll be pretty to me.”

I smile widely, “That’s very sweet.” They all look at me expectantly, waiting for me to say my ideal type now.

I give in and start, “Alright, well, I guess I’ve just always been too immersed in my life or just been too much of a dreamer to have any interest in the guys back home. But, I do have qualities I’d like in a man. First, I’m a big feminist and someone who respects other’s opinions very much. I’d like if they respected me as an equal and let me have my own beliefs. That’s a quality they really have to have.”

The guys agree, nodding for me to continue. “Also, they’d have to be very kind and understanding, as well. I can never stand mean people or who are biased without reason. Also, I don’t like it when men act too manly! They can show emotion, they’re human after all! And I like aegyo, sometimes. Plus, I’ve never been one to really mind skinship, since I grew up in a pretty affectionate family. Also, I’d like it if they were opposite me sometimes, like more outgoing, good at things I’m not, funny, and more.”

“That’s a pretty good list,” Yoochun chuckles. “How about looks?”

“They’d just be handsome to me in any way I deem good-looking. Although, a nice smile would be good,” I shrug.

“So, you’ve never been in love before?” Junsu inquires.

I shake my head, my expression growing thoughtful. “I’ve just never had such feelings for someone in that sense. And truly, no one has ever made think that I’m in love with them.”

“Well, that’s ok!” Jaejoong bursts out, grinning. “You’re still very young; you’ll have time for that later. But, you have to be careful, some boys are terrible,” he lectures, sternly.

I playfully roll my eyes at him and smile. “Of course, oppa.” They all laugh, and Yoochun looks at me, smirking.

“This whole topic of your opinions of guys gave me an idea. I want to see what you really think of us. You have to sing at least one line from any song, it can be Korean or not, that you think describes each of us.” I blink at him, surprised. That was sudden…

I sigh, saying, “Of course you guys will do anything to get me to sing. Fine, but there are a lot of songs I think that can describe you guys, both as individuals and as a group.”

I look at Jaejoong and sing Don’t Don by Super Junior:

Don't! Don! Iren geuman jom hae

Wisuhnui gamyuhndo buhsuhbuhryuh

Buhsuhbuhryuh Ni gashigui gamyuhndo

Modu gidarigo issuh majimak baraemdo buhrijima

Duhnjyuhbuhryuh ni geu gashigui gamyuhndo

(Don't… Don't... Let's stop now

And take off your hypocritical mask

Free yourself! From your hypocrisy and from your face mask

Everyone’s waiting,

Throw it away! Your hypocrisy and your mask)

I finish, smiling at him, “I thought of this as the song that suits you because you’ve always been someone that’s passionate about what you do and someone who’s struggled so much but stayed true to yourself, which is very amazing. I guess I feel as though you’d want others to not give into hypocrisy.” Jaejoong smiles, and ducks his head, pleased.

Next, I looked over at Yoochun and started to sing FT Island’s song Like Birds:

Fly nalgaereul pyeolchyeobwa haneulman barabwa

yonggi nael su itdamyeon neon hal su isseo

naraganeun saedeul barabomyeo nado ttara naragago sipeo

paranhaneul araeseo jayuropge nado ttara gago sipeo

(Fly - spread your wings, look only to the sky

If you have courage, you can do it

As I look at the birds flying

I want to follow them and fly as well)

I stop, smiling at Yoochun and say, “You’ve always been so free and cheerful, but so devoted to the things you do. You’re inspiring, oppa.” I smirked slightly. “Even when you try to be mischievous.”

Yoochun grinned. “I will always be mischievous. And, thank you.”

Finally, I turn to Junsu. I can see the excitement and anticipation in his eyes. I smile slightly to myself before singing:

Noona neomu yeppeoseo

(Noona, you’re so pretty)

 Yup. To describe Junsu, I used SHINee’s Replay.

Both Jaejoong and Yoochun explode into immediate laughter, leaning against each other for support. Junsu’s eyes widen at first, before he lets out his famous dolphin laugh as well, clapping his hands together for emphasis. I laugh a little along with them, surprised they found it that funny.

I look at Junsu, and shout, happily, “Eu kyang kyang!”  All the members stop suddenly, staring at me. I glance at them, slightly nervous. Was that the wrong thing to say?

Then, all three of them burst out laughing, Yoochun laughing the hardest. “You-really-are-a-fan,” he breathes, each word punctuated with a laugh.

Jaejoong leans over, ruffling my hair. “Ye, you actually do know a lot about us.”

I grinned shaking my head, “Well, yeah, of course I’d know a lot about you. Plus, it was just a joke. I only sang that because there are times when Junsu does look really…um…pretty.”

Junsu shook his head, smiling, “Maybe…but what’s the real song, then?”

I was about to start, when Jaejoong clamps a hand over my mouth, smirking. “Aniyo! What do you mean ‘real song’? It was Replay! That’s your song, nothing else!”

With that being said, he and Yoochun push me off the couch and walk toward the kitchen, ignoring Junsu’s protests.

“Yah! Hyung, that was not—”

Jaejoong throws a pair of mitts at him and shut the door, effectively shutting him up. I grin at all of this. They honestly are a bunch of little kids.

Yoochun sits down, and says, “You know, today we’re going to go down to the company and just talk with our CEO about some things on our schedule since we really didn’t get to when coming back from Japan. You can come with us, and we’ll have lunch outside, too.”

I nodded, “Yeah, that sounds good. It’d be good to get used to going to the company…since I’m going to be living here for a while.”

We go back out and tell Junsu we’ll be leaving for the company in a bit. He nods, sitting up to get ready, and we all follow suit.


Getting into the C-JeS building was easier than I thought...let’s hope it stays that way. We were able to effectively get inside the building, talk with Mr. Baek, and finish any necessary talking. I was a little surprised how empty the building was, like there weren’t even any receptionists or security guards! Jaejoong explained that it was pretty much a day-off for most of the employees, and even their coordis and the CEO left early to attend to some other matters. Basically, JYJ were walking across the building to leave as well, when…we get a surprise.


Junsu POV

I start talking with Jaejoong-hyung about our schedules that our stylist told us about when I hear a shout near the front doors, right where we’re headed.

“Yah! Junsunnie!”  I look up to see a couple of very familiar people waving and smiling at us.

“Hyuk Jae!” I shout happily, running over to all of them. Eunhyuk, Ryeowook, Yesung all greet me, and even, Henry’s with them. The others come up, greeting the Super Junior members as well. I smile as I notice Anika’s eyes going very wide, as she steps slightly behind Yoochun-hyung.

“What are you guys doing here?” Jaejoong asks.

“Eunhyuk and Henry really wanted to see you guys,” Yesung replies, rolling his eyes playfully. Suddenly, the members notice Anika.

All the members curiously glance at her, and Ryeowook asks, “Who’s this?”

Jaejoong slings an arm around Anika, grinning. “This is our new best friend!” He sticks out a tongue at all of them.

“He said that you’re our new best friend,” Yoochun explains to her.

“Oh!” Henry exclaims. “She speaks English? Hi,” he smiles, extending his hand. “I’m Henry Lau.”

She smiles timidly and takes his hand. “I know who you all are. I’m a huge E.L.F. I’m Anika Chowdhury,” she stammers, bowing slightly.

“Yah!” Eunhyuk exclaims, glaring at me. “New best friend? I’m your best friend! You replaced me?”

I shrug and grin. “Well, I think Anika makes a better best friend! You’re annoying, Hyuk Jae.”

We all laugh, but I notice Anika just smiling a little awkwardly. I chuckle. Her ears are pink.

Henry comes forward, striking up a conversation with her in English. “It’s cool to have someone around that speaks English. Are you from the States?”

She nods, and proceeds to explain how she ended up here. Jaejoong explains to the other Suju members how we met her and what we’ve been up to until then.

“Wow,” Ryeowook whistles. “She’s had quite an ordeal,” he looks at Anika, eyes sympathetic.

Yoochun and Henry do some translating between Anika and the members. Henry brightens when he explains that Super Junior was actually how Anika came to really like Korean music, and have been her favorite group since.

“Actually, the first song she heard was a Super Junior-M song,” Henry bursts, grinning. “But we really are her first favorite!”

Eunhyuk smirks, “See? She likes us more!”

Jaejoong retorts, “She’ll like us a lot more in no time! She’s living with us now, after all.”

Yesung comes forward, pushing Hyuk Jae to the side. Tentatively, he places a hand on Anika’s arm. “You can call us all oppa too. You should visit us all sometime, neo dongsaeng.”

“Yeah!” Eunhyuk shouts, grinning. “We can introduce you to the other members and you can become our resident little sister.”

“She was ours first, Hyuk Jae!” I shoot back, sticking out my tongue. You get a new friend that’s a girl…and suddenly all your friends want to know her, I shake my head.

Henry translates, and Anika smiles warmly, murmuring thanks. She and Henry and Yoochun start talking about something in the U.S., while Jaejoong and I talk with the other members about our schedules.

Hyuk Jae strides over, softly tapping Anika’s shoulder. “Who…your favorite member in Super Junior?”

She blushes slightly, and mutters, “There’s so many of you…I could never really pick.”

“Liar,” Jaejoong mutters, nudging her side with his elbow.

She turns to Henry, and grins brightly. “Well, my best friend is a huge fan of Henry-ssi. So, you’re pretty much off limits.”

Henry grins and asks, “Well, do you have a favorite in this room?”

“I’m not gonna say!” Anika squeezes her eyes shut, shaking her head furiously.

I can pretty much see that she’s avoiding eyes with a particular member. I sigh impatiently.

“It’s Ryeowook,” I say, waving my hand lazily in his direction. Anika sharply intakes, glaring at me slightly. I grin back at her. Gotcha.

Ryeowook smiles shyly, “It is me?” he asks her. Biting her lip, Anika nods, causing Yoochun and Jaejoong to snicker at her.

Including Anika in our conversation, we’re all able to talk about our schedules, prompting Eunhyuk and Yesung to try to speak in English (and making them epically fail, if I may add.)

Suddenly, I hear a huge crash outside. Jaejoong whips around, his eyes growing wide and dark.

Yoochun puts a hand on Yesung’s arm, and asks him frantically, “Did…did you all run into any fans on the way here?” Sure enough, I hear faint screams and shouting outside. Even now, I can tell that the two security guards outside won’t be enough to hold all those fans off.

 

“Er…well,” Ryeowook starts, guiltily. He then shoots Eunhyuk a glare. “Hyuk Jae was dancing around outside and moonwalked his way into the building…so, I’m pretty sure someone saw.”

All heads, except Anika’s, turn to glare at Eunhyuk, who just scratches the back of his and grins sheepishly. Henry swiftly whispers what’s going on in Anika’s ear, and I watch as her eyes widen, her panic noticeably rising.

I walk over, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry, this happens quite a lot with us,” I smile, ruefully.

“This happens a lot to you guys…and you’re telling me not to worry?” she says, her already wide eyes getting even wider. Shaking her head, she smiles uncertainly. “You’re used to this, aren’t you?”

As Yoochun’s about to reply, there’s a sharp ear-penetrating noise up at the front doors. I couldn’t even distinguish it between the sound of breaking glass or showering bullets. All of us jump, and snap our attention to the front. A couple of teenage girls are wildly looking around, and then spot all of us. They scream something incoherent, charging forward. I feel the thundering footsteps coming behind them, indicating there’s much, much more from where they came from.

Yesung grabs Henry and Ryeowook’s arms, screaming, “RUN!” Curling my hand around Anika’s forearm, I tug her back to the practice room we had just exited. Feeling the others scurrying beside me, I swiftly glance at our new foreign dongsaeng. Anika’s face looks determined as she races alongside me, to get away from our rabid fans. She notices my stare and gives me a sort of twisted, close-lipped smile.

Yoochun nudges me, indicating we should head for the back storage room. I nod, and take a deep breath, and run even faster, with a formidable (fan girls can be…insanely scary) enemy on my tail.


OH...MY...HOLY...KIMCHI... It's been more than a month since I've updated?! What in the name of Donghae's fluffy earmufss is wrong with me?! EVERYONE I AM SO SORRY, TRULYYYYY /bows repeatedly/ It's just...with adjusting to my new school doing homework, and then being MAJORLY distracted by EXO, I've just hadn't been able to update :( I'm really sorry, I'd expect you guys to be mad, I don't blame you. >.< I hope you can forgive me, even though you have every right not to :( I'm going to be updating soon though, like...maybe sometime this week? I've just had some busy things happening, and my editor's been really busy as well. I did end up making two other little fics for my friends (whom are mentioned in this story as well), so that took some time. But, I really hope that everyone likes this chapter, even though it's really lame >.< I hope to talk with all of you^^ JYJ fighting! I'm sorry again :(

 

P.S. Keke, you guys didn't expect me to have it also in Junsu's POV too, right? XD ..Or you might have, who knows? >.< But yes, I'm going to be switching in between Anika's and Junsu's POVs in the story, so I hope you look forward to that :D