Chapter 1

I Will Dedicate This Life to You

 

Chapter 1

“Getting lost is just another way of saying 'going exploring’.”

Justina Chen, North of Beautiful


 

 I breathe in and out, looking at all the bustling people and listening to the flight calls overhead. Finally, I can now relax for two months in Australia. The airport’s astoundingly huge with beautiful banners and people from all over the world bustling about. There’s that fresh, calmingly cold atmosphere you usually feel from the airport air conditioners, making me feel more at ease. I start walking around, my suitcases and bags lugging behind me, looking for the exit to hail a taxi to get to my aunt’s house. Wow, I think, Sydney Airport is huge! There are so many different dialects and languages that can be heard buzzing around, coming from the various people as well the speakers announcing flight times, arrivals, departures, etc. Walking past, I see a lot of signs, some in English, but most others are in…is that Hangul? Huh. Sure, I see that quite often, but not something I'd expect here.  (1) I see the front airline desks up front and head on over. Walking up to the desk, I see an Asian woman running the counter.

“Hi,” I say. “Um, do you know to how get taxi service here and do you know how much it costs?”

The young Asian woman, who was furiously typing away at the computer, stops to stare. I clear my throat, and ask again. “Er, do you know how to get taxi service here?”

“W-wait…please.” Giving me a panicked glance, she scurries through a door in the back. My eyebrows scrunch in confusion. Okay? I notice she seemed quite uncertain when she spoke and had a thick accent, even when saying two words. I wave it off. She was probably just another nervous newcomer at the job. She then comes back with an older man- Asian as well - right behind her.

“Miss,” he says, bowing slightly, “I am sorry my employee left you. She does not understand English very well. How may I help you?” His voice has a slight accent as well, but I understand him well enough.

I say, “No it’s fine. I just wanted to know about the taxi service here in Sydney Airport. Can you tell me about the costs and general service?”

The guy blinks at me for a few seconds before glancing at the girl, who shrugs, looking equally confused.

“Sydney Airport? You mean Incheon International Airport, correct?”

Now, it’s my turn to be confused. For a second, I rack my brain, thinking of the name he just said.

“Oh! I know what airport you’re talking about! But…um, why are you talking about an airport in South Korea? Isn’t the name of this airport Sydney Airport? The capital’s airport?” I ask, simply not comprehending.

“Miss, that’s the capital airport in Australia. We’re in Seoul’s Incheon International Airport.”

“Why do you keep talking about Korea? Look, I came here to visit family in Sydney, which will only take a taxi a couple of minutes to drop me off. But, you keep talking about Seoul’s airport, not Sydney, Australia’s airport!” I ramble, getting tired. Goodness, I just asked for a taxi! (2)

The man gives a great sigh, annoyance flashing across his face. “I don’t think you understand. You are in South Korea, not Australia,”, he explains deliberately and slowly, taking great care to emphasize, ‘South Korea’,"this airport is Incheon International Airport, not Sydney Airport.”

I start to bristle in frustration, but stop mid-shake as the realization hits me.

Oh my God.

No.

It can’t be.

I stare at the guy in disbelief.

“So-so you’re saying that I’ve spent fourteen hours on a plane only to end up in the wrong country? In Korea?!”

The man stares at me flatly. “It would seem so.”

Your bluntness isn’t exactly helping! I snap mentally. My hands shakily grip my shoulder bag. How could I have done this? I know I got on the plane for Sydney! I didn’t even notice anything on the plane, just practically daydreamed my way here!

Fighting the panic within me, I manage out, shakily, “Could you check whether there’s any way for me to get back to America? Or even to Australia?” I hand him my passport, ticket, and everything else he might need. “Please.”

After a few minutes of punching in stuff into the computer, he looks up, “I’m very sorry, Miss. You booked your tickets for two months in Korea and we can’t change that in any way. You are required to stay here for that allotted time and leave at the date you scheduled. There aren’t any flights available.” (3)

I feel like I’m gonna throw up. No…NO! I-I can’t stay here! And two months at that? My head's spinning and my heartbeat's out of control.

The man looks at me sympathetically, “Miss, why don’t you go sit in the waiting area? We will start booking some transportation and a hotel room for you.”

I mutely nod my thanks and trudge on over to the waiting area. Collapsing into a chair and throwing my luggage besides me, I bury my face into my hands. How could I have been so stupid? Oh wait...knowing my clumsy self, this should be typical, right? I think bitterly. Scheduling the wrong flight and getting on the wrong plane? No wonder the woman didn’t understand me. My mind suddenly flashes back to the signs I saw when I landed. I then proceed to mentally slap myself across the face.

No, duh! And Incheon International Airport! I didn’t even notice that I was wandering around one of the biggest airports in the world…God, what am I going to do? I lift up my head, and look around the place, still having that spark of awe despite my overwhelming dread and fatigue.

But…I have always wanted to come to Korea. Well, I’ve always wanted to travel around the whole world, and this would’ve been my first time in Australia! However, I have always been really into Korean culture and I’m a Huge fan of K-pop and K-dramas…Still, I didn’t want to come to here like this!

I mentally sulk and rant for a couple more minutes. Then out of the blue, I get bombarded with a riot of screams. I jump about ten feet in the air, inhaling sharply. I look up and see a huge crowd of girls, ranging from teenagers to young women, holding a bunch of signs, screaming their hearts out. Some of them were sobbing, others were fainting with ease; all of them looked like this was the best day of their freaking lives.  Left and right, cameras were flashing with glee; enough voltage to make anyone go blind.  I crane my neck to see, and cringe. All those high-pitched voices…Geez, don’t they know they could be making people go deaf right now?! Curiosity overtaking me, I get up and speed-walk my way over there, eventually, pushing my way to the front.

Like, seven airport security guards have their arms stretched out, creating a barrier against the crowd, looking really ticked off and exhausted. I crane my neck to see three figures in the center, all decked out in long coats with the hoods pulled over their heads, sunglasses, and scarves shielding their faces, struggling to get to the exit. God, what are they wearing? It’s scorching outside! I hear a slight commotion to the side of me, and watch as a scrawny Korean girl pushes to the front and breaks free from the human barrier. Her face is screwed up with anger as she shouts something in Korean. Before I even have time to blink, she aims her foot at the back of one of the three figures.

What the- “Hey, look out!” I scream and charge over to the chick. I push her from the side, causing her to stumble and crash down on her rear several feet away. She hollers something again, her face tomato-red. She shoots a vile glare at the three men and begins screaming in frustration, even as she gets forcibly pulled up and dragged away by two of the security men.

Taking advantage of the moment, the fan girls tear through the broken barricade and surge forward and get closer to the three disguised guys. I grip onto my luggage and yelp when I feel something warm snatch my wrist. I look up to realize that it’s one of the three guys. No, it’s actually the one that was about to kicked by that girl, I discern. He says something in my ear, but the screaming is so loud that his words are barely audible, and it’s not like I would’ve understood him anyway. Before I can say anything back, he yanks me towards the exit. I glance behind us and start to freak. Oh my God! The hordes of girls are running right after us! My thoughts go into a frenzied panic. I’m going to get trampled, I’m going to die right here, in a South Korean airport, and they’ll just discard my footprint-covered body into the Pacific Ocean to avoid legal issues. All this for getting on the wrong plane and trying-

My ramblings get interrupted when the guy and I finally stumble outside, his other two companions racing out behind us. The guy lets go of my wrist and frantically gestures towards this small limo waiting for them. I don’t even have time to think, I just scramble inside with all of my bags.

I’m suddenly on one side of the car, and the other three are seated facing me. I awkwardly look away, nervously playing with a button on my white cardigan. Why did they drag me in here with them? Holy crap, are they kidnapping me?! I swiftly glance at them. How’ll I ever get home now? I start slightly when the car sets in motion. Yeah, smart move, Anika. Getting into a car with a bunch of strangers that probably won't even understand a word you say. I force myself to look up at the three, meeting their curious gazes.

 I clear my throat, and ask, “Um… Exactly what are you all doing with me?” I inwardly wince at how shaky I sound.

They stare at me for a few more seconds before the middle one speaks up, “Are you American?”

I note he doesn’t have an accent. He must know English really well, then.

I answer cautiously, “Yes, I’m from the U.S. Why?”

They glance at each other and murmur in Korean. What’s going on?

I let out a sigh and speak up, “Again, where are you taking me? Who are you, exactly?”

Again, they glance at one another, before the English-speaking guy nods.

Slowly, they reach up to take off their disguises…

End of Chapter 1

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hola, everyone! :D This is my first fanfic, but I really am glad to have started this. (Wanna know more about me? Check out my profile page^^). So, basically, as I explained before, this started as a fanfic I had wanted to write for friends for fun purposes and since I wanted to just simply write. But, now, I’d like to put it here on AFF and see what others think. I really love JYJ/DBSK and Kpop altogether, so I thought this would be really nice to write. In doing so, I hope that you can learn more about me and JYJ, if you don’t know much already. Also, yes, I’ve made myself the character, along with other friends, in this fic we'll see later. Other people do it…and you KNOW their OC characters are also somewhat representations of themselves and others they know! XD But, honestly, you can think of me as an OC character or even, yourself! I don’t mind at all, whatever floats your boat!^^ I just hope you enjoy this story! And, I'll sometimes add numbers in parentheses in the story to indicate any notes or thoughts I have while writing this, like I did in this chapter...XD Ok…this is enough…I’ll talk more later! Hope you enjoyed! Kamsamnida! :) (P.S. - Please excuse my ditzy, clumsy self in this story…XD You’ll see more later…)

 

 (1): I’m so clueless…>.>

(2): Still, just not getting it…

(3): I doubt this happens in real life, but let’s just go with the flow, shall we? :) It IS a fanfiction, after all…