The Fears of Storytime

An October Meeting

I was safe. Partially. Damn the sadistic maid who read bedtime stories to Beyond and I. Who would read kids such scarring stories?! She was most definitely creepy.

I arrived into a small corridor. It was a little damp and stuffy. Down the hall were doors on the sides. Each was shut tight, dusty, and locked with a padlock. It was a melancholy setting. A deep blue color filled the long hallway. But on the end of the corridor, though, there was another door. It was black and pen only a slight bit. So small, even, that if my eyesight were any worse than it already was (and believe me, it's good) then I wouldn't have noticed.

Slowly, I crept down the dusty hallway. My feet picked up the dust and my lungs accepted it, breathed it in as if it wasn't even dust but more like stuffy air. It smelled of dried blood and wine in here. The sweet wine, not the bitter, achoholic one that stung and was only for getting drunk. The expensive kind that was beautiful and meant for luxury.

"Lia! Lia, is that you?" Called a voice. A voice that was angelic, pure. I looked at the door and stopped only a few feet away. That's when a woman dressed in a white uniform appeared from the closest door to my right.

"Are you the girl they call Lia?" She asked. Her eyes seemed scared, though only a step to containing no life at all. I thought about her question and decided to go along with things.

"Yes, I am." I said, trying to stay calm. She stared back and smiled a forced smile.

"Good, good. I'm the one who takes care of that... THING. Be careful with him. Go in at your own risk." I nodded at her comment and pushed the door open. She closed and locked it behind me. I was hoping it was just a procedure. It probably wasn't.

The looked straight in my eyes. His face was a mirror. He was a boy version of me.