The Promise

The Promise

 

"Yah, Wonwoo~ Let's make a promise." Mingyu told Wonwoo one day while they're at the library, preparing for the upcoming final exam.

"Ok. What is it?"

"Since we're already together for 3 years, and it will be our 4th when we graduate this summer, how about..." Mingyu cut off. Clearly searching for the right words to use to not embarass his self and to shock Wonwoo as well.

"Yeah, what is it?" Wonwoo said eagerly. He was curious and obviously excited as to what it would be this time. They had made indefinite promises over the past few years, and not one was broken. Though two or three was nearly unfulfilled, yet they found a way to make it happen. That's how valuable their relationship is; that's how passionate they are. That's how their bond works; with promises. One of the many vows and the most important they have agreed upon to, was no matter how small or big, simple or complicated, reasonable or unjust an event is, they won't let this unworthy thing break them up. They would sit and talk about it even if it will take them centuries to just forgive. It would be a lie if they'll say that their relationship is perfect and not once had their love wavered. Especially when one time, Mingyu spotted Wonwoo in a restaurant with a girl. They were laughing and enjoying each other's company that Mingyu didn't speak with Wonwoo for 3 weeks. And there's a chance that it would go on for a year if not until Wonwoo forced Mingyu to speak up. Wonwoo couldn't take so much of Mingyu's stubbornness without knowing the reason and as to why he was acting like a y boyfriend. It was a miracle when Mingyu spilled the cause and it took all of Wonwoo's effort not to roll his eyes on Mingyu, that would not be a good idea. So he then explained that, that girl was his childhood friend and bestfriend for 5 years, but she migrated to California to further her studies on the English language. What was more convincing was Wonwoo’s  bestfriend is married to a foreigner and already had 2 kids. But the explanation didn't exactly made them up instantly. It took Wonwoo 2 more days with of course, hugs there and kissing here, to finally release Mingyu from his jealous state. And for Wonwoo's side, he wished that the same occurrence won't happen again. EVER.


"How about... we'll get married after we graduate?" Mingyu said. If you look at him, it's like he's just neutral. Like suggesting something like this is the most common thing that would happen. But if you observe Mingyu closely and stare at his eyes, you can see that it's twitching and it seems to be he's shaking. 

"Uhm.." Wonwoo began. He couldn't get any word to answer. In fact, he's speechless.

"I mean of course, if you don't like it, then it's okay. It's just a suggestion." Mingyu immediately defended. But something in his voice sounded hurt. Wonwoo noticed this and smiled warmly at the other boy. How can he turn down someone this cute? 

"Of course, I like it. It would be the greatest promise we'll ever make." He reached up and Mingyu's cheek. Mingyu returned it with a smile.

"Thank you, Wonwoo." He leaned in and pecked Wonwoo's lips.

"I can't wait for the day that we'll be together.... as one."

 

1717171717


One week has passed since the promise and it didn't do anything to Wonwoo except feeling all giddy and bubbly. His friends wondered why he is acting like a girl being hit by Cupid's arrow but they shrugged it off after a few days thinking that well, it's Wonwoo. Yes, they're relationship is kept hidden from the world, for now. They're not prepared to tell the others about their current relationship, but after they graduate, it would be a sensation. Wonwoo was on the roof top, eating lunch alone since Mingyu has extra duties to take care of. Plus, it's not like he needs Mingyu by his side all the time. No. The last thing he wants to become is a clingy, semi-engaged boyfriend. So he 'bitterly' approved Mingyu to do his thing. It's not like he can do something either, so here he was, deserted.

I should not have let go of that boy. Wonwoo thought, feeling a little tinge of regret. Well, whatever... he's already here anyways. He then decided to use up some time to think about the marriage. It's not that he doesn't agree to the idea, it's just that it seems so surreal. Everything's happening too fast, a pace he can barely catch up. Of course he loves the boy, in fact, he loves him so much that it hurts him to just look. But can't they take things slowly and give theirselves some more time? You know, see if they can support each other or if they truly love one another... but Wonwoo thinks that's out of the question. The fact that their relationship is still alive for 3 years. But the strongest hindrance that both can't control, is how the society will accept them. He knew, Mingyu knew, everyone knows that this kind of relationship is forbidden in Korea. But if Mingyu really wants to get married, then so be it. People's opinions are an unacceptable reason why this promise can't go on. If it gives them no choice, then they'll elope to a place where homouality is approved and marriage is legal. 

After all the thinking, Wonwoo feels sleep taking over his whole body. Before dozing off though, the last thing that ran into his mind is I just hope no one can find out for now.

 

1717171717

 

"Yah! Mingyu, we need to talk. Do you have time?" Wonwoo asked Mingyu. "Sure."

They were at the rooftop. Wonwoo thanked the heavens as a gush of wind sweep through them. It helps him to stay calm since he doesn't know where to even begin this talk, and most importantly, what would be Mingyu's reaction. Swallowing a pool of saliva that he didn't notice accumulating in his mouth, he began.

"You know Mingyu, first, I want to tell you that I love you so much." he put his hands on the air and spread it as wide as he can to show Mingyu how much he loves him. "But..."

"What? Are you breaking up with me?" Mingyu suddenly replied seriously.

"Huh? Wha-? No! Don't accuse like that." Wonwoo defended. How could he blame him like that? "Anyways, what I was trying to say is, are you really ready for the, you know, marriage thing?"

"Of course. I mean, why would I even mention it if I was not?" He then lowered his head, hiding his face from Wonwoo. "Why, Wonwoo? Do you not like it? Are you having doubts? Do you not trust me?" Wonwoo looked at the boy, and a wave of sympathy passed through him when he sees tears streaming down Mingyu's face.

So he really is serious.

"No Mingyu, of course not." He sighed heavily. How can he explain this to Mingyu without hurting him? "It's just that, what if the others find out? I know that you know that this kind of relationship is frowned upon our nation." He paused, to see if the other has anything to say. But when there's none, he took this as a cue to continue. "Are you ready for this Mingyu? Unacceptance, being looked down, disgusted faces, accusa-" Wonwoo was cut off as warm arms held him tightly.

"Mingyu?"

"shh.. shut up Wonwoo. You talk too much." still looking down he said, "I told you already. I'm ready for it. I'm ready for everything. I'll catch everything the world will throw and carry it as a reminder of how much I love you." the hug tightens around Wonwoo, but Wonwoo doesn't mind at all. His heartbeat was racing, racing so fast that he thought that he couldn't take it.

"So please Wonwoo. Please trust me. I'll protect you, protect us, and protect our future kids. All I want from you is to take this proposal wholeheartedly and stay with me until the end. "

"Yes." was all Wonwoo's answer when his chest tightens and stream of tears roll down his face. He was so wrong. He underestimated and doubted Mingyu. Though there were many things he wanted to say but he couldn't. He instead put his lips on Mingyu's and wishes that this way, Mingyu will understand and receive his answer.

 

1717171717

 

2 weeks left before their final exam and Wonwoo was doing his all to study. Avoiding any unnecessary distractions to the point where he locked his self in his room and that only Mingyu can enter. After their talk 3 days ago, he decided that he should stand beside Mingyu and accept everything. He felt bad though for having second thoughts when Mingyu was prepared for anything. He shook of the idea and went back to studying so that he can graduate along with his fiancé and live a happy life.

The next morning he went to roof top yet again because he and Mingyu agreed to meet up there and study. When he opened the door, sure enough Mingyu was already there lying on his back. 

"Hey!" Wonwoo called. "Hey, Wonwoo~" Mingyu replied.

"Are you done studying?" he looked around, confused to see that there aren't any books. 

"Nah. I can handle it. I can pass as long as you are here, Wonwoo."

Wonwoo made a face. "Come on Mingyu. Don't throw that sweet talk so early in the morning. But are you sure?" 

"Yeah. Don't worry." Mingyu reassured.

 

1717171717

 

The day for the final exam has come and it's the one that decides on whether you can graduate or not. Wownoo huffed out loud, feeling sick. He's so scared that what if he couldn't pass? Can he marry Mingyu? 

"Ok class. Pass the papers to your classmate sitting behind you. Then you can start right away. Only use a pencil. Good luck."

This is it. Wish me luck, especially Mingyu.

The exam has started, but as Wonwoo went through the set of questions, his confidence rose up as he knew most of the answers. In fact, he enjoyed answering most of them. While he was studying during the past weeks, he had encountered the same questions. He then spared a glance at Mingyu and looked at his side. He didn't mean it but he can't help but sneak a peek on his paper. His eyes widened as he saw Mingyu staring at his blank paper. He hasn’t answered any of the questions yet. He called to Mingyu and whispered a 'you can do it' to which Mingyu returned a smile and a 'thank you'.

-----------

"Finish or not, please pass your papers."

Mingyu stood up from his seat and passed his paper.

"Wonwoo~ come on! Everyone's leaving!"

"Yeah, sure. Hold on a sec. One question left. Please wait for me at the entrance, okay?"

"Alright. Don't be too long."

"I won't."

 

1717171717

 

-Graduation Day-

 

Mingyu was at the side chatting with his friends. The graduation ceremony has already finished and everyone is currently celebrating.

"Mingyu, congratulations."

Mingyu turned around and saw Wonwoo. He shot him a disgusted look but didn't reply. Of course, Wonwoo isn't blind. He saw the way Mingyu reacted but decided to shrug it off.

"Yeah. Congratulations on your graduation, Mingyu. I'm so proud of you." he reached into his pocket and pulled out a white small box. He presented it to Mingyu saying, "Since now you've graduated, we can marry, right?" A small smile adorning his face.

"Don't give me that, Wonwoo. The agreement is when we graduate, we get married." he rolled his eyes on Wonwoo. "Unfortunately, you didn't. You didn't pass the exam and graduate. Why? Because you're so stupid." Mingyu spat the words harshly on Wonwoo's face. Wowoo winced at the dirty words and he let out a sad smile.

"I think you're right. I was really stupid. So stupid that I exchanged your paper with mine during the exam so that you can graduate." with that, Wonwoo walked away along with the first promise that had been broken.