A Life Long and Lost with Memories

A Created Wretch: The One Fascinated with Fire

A/N: Some of y'all gonna be mad, but that's alright. Some hints of sensual things, but nothing major. If you haven't already, check out 2PM's new song  하.니.뿐. (A.D.T.O.Y.) (which I'm obsessed with...). Anyways, enjoy...ish :)

*

                 Higher and higher they rose – the flames, at the air, scorching anything that whisked past. The immortals danced all around. Wooyoung watched their folly, taking in the sights of their scantily clad bodies as they danced; their use of magic – their insatiable thirst for blood. It bored him. These things had always tired him. Why did his master insist on him coming? He never got to do anything more than watch. It was interesting he supposed. But he felt like a voyeur! Clamouring to his feet, he noticed a familiar figure seated a ways away. His clothes were different than the others. Robes of fine royal blue, hair as dark as night, the skin of one kissed by the sun. He bore the mark of the claw and moon. His master always told him to avoid such persons, especially this one. Well, he left him unattended, he shouldn’t have done that. After all, Wooyoung loved to irritate and anger his master. And, the regal looking man was one of his favourite persons.

                For some reason, whenever he was close to him, the aura against his senses became heavy and intoxicating. He stopped completely when striking golden irises him. “Oh, a little darkling come to entertain me?”

                “Do not tease me, Zahi.” He grumbled. The man laughed, his voice deep and sultry. Wooyoung crawled over and sat beside him. “Why do you not join the others?”

                “Well, ‘tis forbidden.”

                Wooyoung pouted. “Well, that is not fair...say, Zahi, would you play with me?” He wondered as he leaned into his lap. For only a second, a minute second, Zahi’s eyes brightened. They shone mysteriously and Wooyoung nearly collapsed into him.

                “You know I cannot.” The second was gone.

                “But master is preoccupied, and I would ever so much like to disobey him.”

                Once again Zahi was laughing. His large, hot hand fell upon him and over his head. “You, my coy little darkling, couldn’t satisfy me even if you wanted to.”

                Wooyoung shot up immediately. “How can you say that when you haven’t given me a chance?!” He demanded.

                Zahi always looked down on him. He always made fun of him, , and pranced around like some show pony everyone got to ride, except Wooyoung. He reached up and trailed his fingers along the necklace of multicoloured beads. The touch of them sent tingles through his body. “You best leave me while your bastard master doesn’t notice.”

                “I refuse.” He mumbled and rested his hand against the bare skin. He wanted to push away the shielding robes. If there was one thing he wanted, it was to see a and aroused Zahi, to feel him. “Besides, he would just use me for whatever he wanted anyway. I’m sure whatever you wish to do to me, would be much better than what he would do.”

                “Oh, does my little darkling dislike his master’s methods?”

                Wooyoung didn’t reply. Instead, he attempted to roll away from the hot and alluring man. He wouldn’t get to him this way. But Zahi had caught him and brought him back. “Let me go!”

                “Do you truly dislike him that much?”

                Wooyoung stared out into the night sky. “I do...and I hate you and Wren for letting him keep me.” He tried to stop the tremble in his voice. “I want you to save me...”

                Zahi held him tightly. “Come tomorrow things will be different, Wooyoung.”

                “You always say that.” Wooyoung tried to break free, but he knew it was futile. After all, wasn’t this what he wanted?

                “This time I promise it will be so. Now, go back to your fire. I know you dislike the cold and the dark.”

                Wooyoung sighed and rose up. He stalked back to his little perch and threw more logs onto the blaze. By the end of the night, when all was quiet, Wooyoung continued to tend to his fire. Surprised when arms tightened around him, he didn’t turn. “Please let me go.”

                “I saw you with Zahi tonight.”

                Wooyoung remained silent.

                “Punishing you is always one of my favourite things.”

                Wooyoung put up the act. It got his master off. “I don’t want this – let me go!” His eyes widened as pain flared throughout his entire body. He had never experienced this before. It was all he could focus on, and coupled with his Master’s torture, Wooyoung knew it was going to be a long session. Shutting his eyes tight, he held onto the image of kind, sensual golden irises.

*

                Wooyoung awoke with a start. The sun was barely up. Noticing he was in the safety of the South Wing, he threw off the blankets and paced back and forth. A bond had been shattered and the dream had finally changed. He could see him now, and he was re-living memories. Feeling an energy off-kilter, Wooyoung took up his robe and left the room. Junho was not sleeping easy. Coming to the room Nichkhun was resting in, he drifted inside and found Junho in a fitful sleep beside his First. Looking over Nichkhun, he thought he saw something drift over his wound. Sliding up next to Junho he slowly coaxed him awake. Watching him wake abruptly, he was surprised when shaking hands gripped his arms tightly. “Shh, I’m here. It’s alright.” He said with calm voice. Junho turned into him and held him tight. For many moments he ran his hand through his hair and whispered soothing words into his ear.

               “Who was he? Why did he hurt you so badly?” Junho sobbed.

               Wooyoung attempted to shield his surprise. He was sure Junho had been closed off from his mind. “That...that was my master...Junho.”

               “Do you always have dreams like that?”

               Wooyoung smiled sadly. “No...I hardly dream at all. That was a memory, love.”

               “Did he always hurt you like that?”

               Wooyoung was even more surprised. Nichkhun’s arms came to smooth around his waist. “You...You both saw that?”

               “Yes...” Junho cried. “I don’t want to see that anymore. I don’t want to see you in pain!”

               “Shh, I’m alright. That was a long time ago – a really long time ago actually.” Wooyoung tried to calm them. Laying on his back he held them close to  his body. “Go back to sleep. At least for a few more hours...”

               They genuinely tried, but for a long time they lay awake. Junho ran his fingers over his chest lightly. Drawing simple runes, messages to Wooyoung, it made him smile and kiss him gently. “Why won’t you let us protect you?” His beautiful mage asked quietly. “Are you scared to lose us that much?”

               Wooyoung closed his eyes. “There are things about me that will make you leave if you found out.”

               “I’ve been with you for a long time, how can you accuse me of that?” Nichkhun asked. He winced as he put pressure on his shoulder. “...” Wooyoung noticed a sliver of black dust about the injury again. Once was odd, twice was coincidence.

               Wooyoung relieved himself from their hold and went to fetch clean water, a new salve he made, and bandages. When he returned, Junho was seated and taking off Nichkhun’s bandages. He knew what was wrong as soon as he saw Nichkhun’s expression. He was clutching his chest. “Did you and Chansung talk, Nichkhun?”

               His First immediately caught Junho’s hand. “What does it matter anymore?” His eyes looked hollow and vacant. Scanning the room, Wooyoung rested the bowl on the end table and motioned for him to come forward, but he didn’t. “I’ve...I’ve tried everything. I don’t know what I did wrong, Wooyoung!”

               Setting the bandages and salve down, Wooyoung sat beside him. “It’s my fault.”

               “No it isn’t! You didn’t attack him or kill his brother!”

               Wooyoung caught his chin and leaned down. Pressing their foreheads together he closed his eyes. “If you don’t have will, this wound will never heal, Nichkhun.”

               Nichkhun choked on a sob, “I don’t have any left...” He said weakly.

               “Nichkhun...” Junho murmured.

               Wooyoung grit his teeth. “He’s realising it, faster now. I could see it, Nichkhun. I promise. It won’t be much longer.”

               “You weren’t here...he’s not the same, Wooyoung. He said there might have been a chance but I just can’t. Not after what I saw. I’m tired of it just being me in that lonely house...”

               Wooyoung pulled him up into his arms and kissed down his cheek. “Then stay with me, here. Stay by my side.”

               “He’s by your side...and I could never force you to choose.”

               “You are my beautiful prince. I want you to stay patient only for a little longer. That is all I ask, please?” There were strange things happening and sudden decisions would infringe on Wooyoung’s analysis of the situation.

               Nichkhun gasped and more tears flew from his eyes. Out of all his darklings, Nichkhun was one of the only one who retained this ability. It was how he knew Nichkhun had the most humanity left, well asides from Junho for obvious reasons. But, Nichkhun was a vampire, and vampire’s never wept. “Can you take them away?”

               Wooyoung shut his eyes tight. “Take what away?”

               “My memories of Chansung, all of them...”

               “No Nichkhun-

               “Please. I don’t want to hurt anymore...”

               “You won’t remember anything about him at all, Nichkhun.”

               “Then he can forget all about me.”

               Wooyoung shook his head. “Please, just wait.”

               “I’m begging you not to torture me anymore, Wooyoung! Please!”

               This was it. Nichkhun had reached his breaking point. At least, that was what Wooyoung was being made to believe. If this was a part of some plan, who knows, maybe they would fall in love properly after this. Stealing away from him he moved to his desk and took out a small amethyst stone. Something smelled off, a sickly sweet sent. He had to ignore it for the moment.

              “Will he forget all of us?” Junho asked.

              “You know he won’t.”

              “I could never forget our precious Junho.” Nichkhun said brokenly.

              Junho lowered his head.

              Wooyoung took his seat again. “Are you sure?”

              “After...Min-Jun left...I knew I was either going to die or this...and I could never hurt you.” Nichkhun murmured tiredly. The wound would kill him if this  kept on.

              “Junho?”

              “Y-Yes?” His mage sniffled a little.

              “Stand back a tad, okay?”

              Junho nodded.

              Wooyoung pressed his incisor against his finger and drew a symbol on Nichkhun’s forehead. “Focus on what you want to forget, and hold onto those memories and thoughts you wish to keep.”

              Nichkhun nodded.

              Wooyoung closed his eyes and focused. Opening them, Nichkhun stared up and held his gaze. It was the wisps. Something was going on but Wooyoung wasn’t sure what yet. All he knew, was his senses were telling him something was indeed out of place. “I love you.” Nichkhun nodded and gripped his hand tight. Wooyoung rested the amethyst stone in the center of Nichkhun’s forehead and spoke clearly, “Oh you poor soul, tormented by those thoughts which hinder your will, what do you wish to give me?

              Nichkhun closed his eyes for only a second. But he opened them again and he said confidently, “my memories of Hwang Chansung.” The world around them went dark, and ribbons of memories poured out and unfurled into the room. They all flew into the amethyst stone. Wooyoung placed a hand on Nichkhun’s chest as it rose in pain.

               Once the air in the room calmed, and the last memory entered the stone, Wooyoung took it up and stashed it in his robe. Those memories he would need to look at later. The symbol on Nichkhun’s forehead would remain for three hours before vanishing. Changmin would know what it meant when he saw it. How he would explain this to Chansung he was not sure yet, but he was angry. He was angry that he had to resort to this to save his First. He shouldn’t have had to choose. Junho’s hand ran over his shoulder. He looked up at his beautiful mage sadly.

               “I’ve...only had to do that once before...” He admitted.

               “Me too...” The sorrowful mage muttered.

               Wooyoung tilted his head. “Forced?”

               Junho closed his eyes and nodded.

               Such advanced magic on an untrained body would take a heavy toll. “What price did you pay, Junho?”

               “Luck...”

               Wooyoung turned to him fully. “Luck?”

               Junho smiled, “yeah...which was the one gift you gave me.”

               “You must have had a little bit left if I found you.” He said with a smile.

               Junho shrugged. “That’s how I knew it was meant to be. See...you gave me back more than you thought, and I’m pretty good at keeping secrets too.”

               Wooyoung chuckled, “that’s my mage.”

               “We should get him cleaned up.”

               Wooyoung took utmost care while doing so. What was happening? Why was everything off kilter? Why was there evidence of a wisp? And how hadn’t he or Junho noticed its presence? Was he the cause, or was it someone else from his past? When Nichkhun was resting comfortably again, Wooyoung ran his hand down his face gingerly. Junho was holding him from behind. He was supposed to protect them, and he was failing. Feeling a surge of pain in his chest, he gripped Junho’s wrist tight.

               “What's happening to you? What’s this darkness inside you, Wooyoung?” Junho asked against his back.

               “Something I can’t stop alone.”

*

               Wooyoung could sense one of the two waking. When he came in search of Chansung and Taecyeon, he found them fast asleep. Or, it was what he assumed. Something was ominous about the room. When he turned, it was Chansung who was awake. Odd. In seconds he was before him, and arms pulled him close. Something felt different. Feeling a finger trail over his arm, he leaned down and kissed Chansung’s forehead. It was a rare occasion that Chansung woke before Taecyeon. Usually it was him and Taecyeon who greeted the night first. Chansung would hear them whisper together, or play until they got so carried away that he, and sometimes Junho, had no choice but to get up.

               “You’ve been acting different, especially since the Hunter’s attack.”

               “So have you...” Chansung reprimanded.

               “Yes, that’s fair. But...you and I have had these sorts of absences from each other before.” Wooyoung muttered.

               Chansung’s forehead wrinkled and his eyes grew dark. “I’m troubled by a lot of things...”

               “Yes, I can see that.” Wooyoung kept his distance. In a dream within a dream, he had seen this coming. And now...now it was becoming a reality, and he didn’t realise how much it would hurt until now. “You and I cannot keep going like this...”

               Chansung’s eyes shut tight. “Why not?”

               Wooyoung held his face gently with one hand. “Why are you troubled?”

               Chansung sighed deeply. “When I saw him...the way he was, I couldn’t help the rush of despair I felt if I – if we’d lost him...”

               Wooyoung smiled. “Were you scared he wouldn’t be there for you anymore?”

               Chansung had opened his eyes, searching his for something. His expression became confused, fearful. “He hasn’t-

               Wooyoung reached up immediately and covered his mouth. After speeding through Nichkhun’s memories, he couldn’t help being angry or ashamed. It didn’t help that his sanity was constantly in flux. “Hush before you say something you regret.” He warned in as caring a manner as he could perform. “Chansung...” He began quietly. “You are not mine.” There, he said it. After over 200 years, he finally said it. And it really hurt. “I know...I know your feelings for him changed a long time ago. It was hurt in the beginning yes...” Wooyoung trailed his finger over the beautiful lips. “But you are not mine. You haven’t been mine for nearly 50 years.”

              “What? That isn’t-

              Wooyoung’s gaze narrowed. “I sacrificed a lot to take care of you, in Nichkhun’s stead. I nearly lost the companionship and the life of my First. I had a very guilty conscience over the both of you.” He finally admitted. He was beginning to feel the shackles come off with every word. “I did it to stabilise you, and see if at some point you would come to accept him. You and I formed a weird sort of bond, it had many kinks, but it was still there. And, by me being the one who bonded with you, I have made you into what you are.” Chansung attempted to shake his head, but Wooyoung enclosed his arms about him. “I’ve had so many visions of a different you; a vision of a beautiful, happy, and eager-to-live Chansung. But I...” Wooyoung held him tighter. “I keep making mistakes, Chansung. Please, I need to fix this one-

                “I don’t want you to-

                “Do you know what it’s like to have a loved one tell you they wished they had died because of certain circumstances?” Chansung froze. “Do you know what it’s like to have beautiful visions of someone who would have been that way if you never interfered?” Chansung closed his eyes. “He loves you. No...my mistake, he loved you. He always did his best for you, and to watch you shun him hurt not only him, but me.”

                “That isn’t what I meant to do. Wooyoung, I-

                “Nichkhun is my First, Chansung. And, you were his, you will always be his, I know. I could never create someone like you. I’m volatile. I’m...a monster, Chansung.”

                “Wooyoung...”

                “Only Nichkhun could make someone as beautiful as you. And, I’ve betrayed him, and so have you – and everyone who has made allegiances to him. This will not happen anymore.” It was a promise. He needed to correct a lot of things to make up for his past mistakes...and you cannot do that without pain. “I want you to make up for the past 200 years. You may still come to me, if you wish, but I only ask that you finally accept him. For the next time you see him...he won’t be the same anymore.”

                “What does that mean?” Chansung asked brokenly.

                “You shall see.”

                Rising from the cocoon of bodies, Wooyoung slowly stalked over to the window. He opened the curtains to see the last rays of the setting sun. It looked ominously red. Yes, a change was indeed coming. Alas, he had no time to ponder on it, tonight was a very important night. Chansung was strong. He would seek answers when he was ready.

                “My beauties, do rise. We have a busy night ahead of us.” Wooyoung roused as he strode back to the bed. He crawled over Chansung and kissed him deeply. “This is the last one.”Chansung groaned softly and let Wooyoung have his way. “Mmhn...” When Wooyoung leaned back and smiled. “No more being a brat...” Oddly, no fights. There was no fight at all in Chansung’s eyes. The tall, brooding man always had fire in his eyes, always.

                Wooyoung had moved onto Taecyeon. As Wooyoung leaned down, forehead coming into contact with Taecyeon’s, he was not surprised when those deep brown eyes fluttered open. They were filled with hurt and many questions. He must have been awake long before him. “So very unlike you, my love...to sleep so long.”

                Taecyeon smiled and curled into the blankets. “Seeing you when I wake up is honestly the best...” Taecyeon had reached around him and pulled Wooyoung into his body. He didn’t even put up a fight. “Explain later...” Taecyeon demanded quietly in his ear. As he leaned back, Taecyeon’s expression changed immediately. “You’re makin’ me jealous...” Taecyeon warned playfully.

                Wooyoung couldn’t help but chuckle, but, the looming feelings remained about them. Before Wooyoung could attempt to pull away, Chansung shook his head. “Just...talk to us. I don’t care what about.”

                “Well...give me a topic.”

                “What’s on the agenda today?” Chansung asked quietly.

                “We have to go back to work to make sure the company can run on its own for at least two months, maybe three.”

                “Boring, lets talk about a more fun topic.” Taecyeon interrupted. “Hm, who is the partner you will never forget?”

                “Ugh, how do you always manage to bring up ?” Chansung growled into the pillow.

                Wooyoung drew his hand across Chansung’s back. Their connection was miniscule. “I must admit, post- talks are a fond experience for me.”

                Chansung gawked. “Just answer the damn question.” So he was actually curious.

                “Hmm...” He hummed and pretended to think. “What would you do with this information, my little nymphs?” That made them laugh, Taecyeon more so.

                “Tease you with it of course.” Taecyeon boasted as he stole him away.

                Chansung couldn’t help but whimper as Taecyeon stole a kiss from Wooyoung’s lips.

                “Mm...” Wooyoung muffled as the kiss deepened. When he finally broke away he grumbled about not being able to escape. Chansung smiled. “I see I’m not going to get anywhere until I answer...” He leaned back into Taecyeon’s body and closed his eyes. “Yes, there is someone, but I don’t know if I’m quite willing to share about them yet. I have a feeling you will meet this person soon though.”

                “Well whoever they are, they must have been able to sate your lust...because you just go back to business or work or something after we’re done.” Taecyeon huffed.

                “Do I?” He asked, playing innocent. “That didn’t happen yesterday.”

                Taecyeon paused. “True...but I don’t think I would have let you.”

                Wooyoung pouted. “Well...” He closed his eyes. “Let’s see...”

 

                *

 

                Taecyeon had never heard Wooyoung speak to one of them that way before. But, something had happened the previous night. When he woke, Chansung was with him. However, the odd thing was, he felt as if someone had stabbed him in the heart and then kicked him in the same spot. He was hoping it wouldn’t make Chansung brood to hell and back, because that would cause more problems than solve. Usually he would have run away. To Taecyeon at least, he seemed to want to show he was past that. Yes, Chansung had hurt Nichkhun, and it was shown when the other tried to speak to them and Chansung just couldn’t. But, it all still hurt.

                Hearing a soft moan from Wooyoung’s lips, Taecyeon couldn’t help feeling envious. Even after all these years that person still did this to him. “Just the memory of them heats your body?” Chansung asked, his tone surely tinged with jealousy.

                “Yes...” Wooyoung admitted, looking at him. “Does your body not get hot with the memory of me, Chansung?”

                Chansung bit his lip and closed his eyes, “of course it does...”

                “He was one of my three masters.” Wooyoung started. He had a far off look. “He was the only one I cared for...” Taecyeon had smiled then. “Junho, was being taught by Wren. He was also one of my masters.”

                “Really?”

                “Well, he helped to create me, thinking with my awakening he would acquire the secrets to real immortality. My master kept the knowledge to himself.”

                “So, it was the third?” Chansung asked.

                “Che, that mutt has his own selfish agenda.” He finally managed to free himself.

                “Hey, no! You have to explain!” Taecyeon demanded. “Why can’t you share with us for once, Wooyoung?”

                “I share much with each of you individually.” He laughed. However, Chansung rose up and tugged him close.

                “You’re aroused by the mere thought of whoever he is – who are they?”

                They were interrupted by a knock. Changmin opened the door without confirmation. “Ah! Why are you all ?!”

                “Honestly Changmin, you always have the worst timing!” Taecyeon groaned in absolute outrage.

                “Usually I have advanced notice from one of you that these sorts of activities will be happening beforehand!” Changmin sent a look towards Wooyoung. Their slender leader had leapt up from the bed and strolled to the wardrobe. At least he wasn’t completely . “Besides, I don’t care if I interrupted your interrogations! Just put some damn clothes on!”

                “When did you get here?” Taecyeon asked Wooyoung, completely ignoring Changmin. He grumbled and left the room, slamming the door as he went.

                “Late...” Wooyoung grumbled. “I really wasn’t sleeping well. Some bad things happened over the morn...”

                Taecyeon noticed that Wooyoung had paused, it seemed Chansung did as well. It had to be in reference to what he said about Nichkhun and why he spoke the way he did. Their leader was looking at something in a small box. It seemed to give off a blue glimmer.

                Senses on high alert, Taecyeon watched Wooyoung dress and the box was hidden away, locked within another smaller box. Changmin had entered the room again, carrying a stack of papers. What odd behaviour... Taecyeon pushed the feelings away and couldn’t help but grin at Changmin’s dumbfounded look. He at least wanted to appear normal. “You two! Why aren’t you dressed yet?!” He exclaimed.

                *            

                “Be gentle, my faithful babysitter,” Wooyoung sang, earning himself a glare. “It was I who overslept - but I kept my promise and woke them.” He winked and took the papers. “I do believe our la luna attempted to make contact.”

                Changmin paused for only a second. That would no doubt catch the interest of his horde of nymphs on the bed. The second passed and Changmin informed, “Nichkhun is awake and awaits you in your study. Junho said he was going to take a sleeping aid and continue resting. He didn’t sleep much after he woke. Said he’s been having migraines...” Wooyoung nodded and walked towards him. “Please look over the business before committing to those extracurricular activities you planned last night.” He indicated towards the small stack of papers. “I think you’ll be pleased with the numbers.”

                “Oh, wonderful! My beauties, you have one hour to be ready. Please wear only dark reds, blacks and if you would like to wear a light colour: blue. I will see you all in the meeting hall!” He marched down to his study with Changmin hot on his heels.

                “I know he’s sent his RSVP before but he has never actually attended the meeting unless necessary.” Changmin said flipping through his folders.

                “Oh well, it means his interest has been piqued, and he cannot sit still in that shoddy house.” He growled irritated.

                “You would do well not to sound jealous...”

                Wooyoung fell silent. Changmin was always right. He burst into his study, and found his First seated upon his desk. He looked so refreshed and alive. “My love, you look so dashing on this beautiful evening.” He complimented.

                “Had a good night did you?” Nichkhun mused.

                Wooyoung came forward to stand as close to him as he could. His First looked upon him concerned. Finally caving he collapsed into his body.

                “Did you see the moon again..?”

                He truly did not remember. “In this world? No. In the other world? Yes.” Nichkhun’s arms came to hold him tight. He looked up at him. “Perhaps I made a mistake, not telling the others about it.”

                “No, you had your reasons. You’ve even kept things from me...”

                “I don’t want them, or you, to be hurt...”

                Nichkhun smiled softly. “A long time ago, you never cared for others. Now, all you care about are others.” Wooyoung chuckled in response. “He should be pleased with that...”

                “It’s too bad my master will never be.”

                Nichkhun’s finger wove through his hair. “Well, pleased or jealous – you follow in his footsteps you know? How many lovers do you have?”

                Wooyoung laughed joyously. His First had a very good point. “Well, I guess it’s just because I have different needs, different love types.”

                “Is this that human concept I hear?”

                Wooyoung placed his fingers to his lips. Then he realised the game. “Oh, love, you are brilliant.” Nichkhun was confused, and that was alright. It was alright because Nichkhun looked so happy and open.

                “I won’t lie...three clans under one roof sounds like madness to me.” Nichkhun changed the subject. Wooyoung shuffled behind the desk and looked over the documents quickly. He would need to take them for the night. “Do you really think me and the other’s aren’t ready?” Nichkhun’s concern comforted him more than it should.

                Wooyoung heaved a deep sigh. “Until you all actually experience fighting a hunter, I stand by what I said. I have ‘faith’ in your abilities, but I would prefer that you stay in pairs – especially after what happened to you at your mansion.”

                “Fair enough,” Nichkhun consented.

                “Stay beside Chansung, you’ll make a good pair.” He almost said, ‘he is your technical First’. That would have made things very difficult at the moment. “You will notice things better than I about ways they might affect his behaviour. Junho will be fine wherever he is placed – he has more protection than either you or me combined.” Nichkhun leaned down and looked over the business reports. “Taecyeon will remain at my side...he’s the youngest.”

                “That would be best...”

                Nichkhun didn’t even make a comment about being paired with Chansung. He agreed without apprehension.“Wooyoung?” Nichkhun’s voice brought him from his thoughts.

                Head snapping up he smiled. “Right – come love, business awaits in the city.” He urged and started towards the door. “Where is your Min-Jun?”

                Nichkhun looked downcast. “I will explain later.”

                Wooyoung closed his eyes, “very well.”

 

                *

 

                Chansung sat fully dressed on the large bed. Taecyeon was seated quietly at the vanity. There had to be a reason why Wooyoung had done that right in front of him. Taecyeon didn’t see anything out of place about Chansung, not on the surface anyway. He was more worried about their lack of connection.

                “Do you think...he’ll let us in?” Taecyeon asked suddenly, trying to spark conversation. The question went unanswered, and Taecyeon rose and walked towards him. He remained standing. An unsettling quiet fell over them. It nearly drove him mad. “I heard your conversation this morning.”

                Chansung became even more worried. He looked up and found Taecyeon smiling. “It’s between you and him, alright? We get to make our own decisions just like he said.” Chansung seemed to finally look comfortable. “How you feeling?”

                “Everything feels off right now...”

                “Wooyoung was right...Nichkhun is your real master. But...Wooyoung wouldn’t have kept you around for 200 years just to dismiss you. He wouldn’t.”

                “I know...but it still hurts.” He said softly. “Why did he have to create me?”

                “Well, you can think on it, or you can go on and find out the answer. I agree that you’ve been stuck in this limbo for a long time, and I would like to see you get out of it. But, you need to do it on your own time.” Taecyeon had crouched down. “Whenever you need a helping hand, I will be here.”

                Chansung gripped his hand. “That...helps me more than you realise.”

                “He’s been acting strange the past few weeks – er, well, more than usual.” That caused them to laugh. Indeed...they all had come to accept that they had no idea what Wooyoung’s true nature was. But, Wooyoung had become such an important person in Taecyeon’s life, no one could get between them. What pains would Wooyoung have had to have gone through to seal himself off completely?

                “He stopped at the wardrobe today...” Chansung informed. “I’ve never found a pause in him before. And...” He sighed. “He was so quiet.”

                “I want to attribute it to the Immortal’s Council meeting the other night, but I know that it was well under way before then.” Taecyeon added. “But when we were together...there was something off about him.” Taecyeon said. “I think it relates to that as well. I can’t say it’s anything else. But, I want to reserve judgment until he explains things.” He finished quietly.

                “That is the best way to go about things,” interrupted Nichkhun, “Best not to dwell on hypotheses and insecurities when you can just ask the questions.”

                “Nichkhun, you look like the spitting image of health.” Taecyeon boasted and received a smile.

                Chansung got to his feet. “Do you know something, Nichkhun?”

                “I am Wooyoung’s First, of course I know things.” That would sting anyone’s pride. However, Nichkhun looked indifferent, and much, much younger. But, that remark reminded Taecyeon, and definitely Chansung more so, that he wasn’t one of Wooyoung’s darklings. It was made to sound intentional. But, then Nichkhun was looking at Chansung strangely. Like, he was a stranger.

                “No need to be a hard , Nichkhun.” Taecyeon reprimanded.

                “Just go about tonight as a regular night. Soon you won’t be able to have these little chit-chats without feeling under pressure. Think nothing of Wooyoung’s behaviour. Shut your mouths, look pretty, and support your bonded, gentlemen.” Nichkhun paused before continuing. “The Hunter’s are not to be taken lightly.” And then, he exited.

                Taecyeon was blown away. What had happened? Why was Nichkhun so different?

                Taecyeon began heading towards the door. “We’d best go I suppose...duty calls.”

                Chansung followed him. When they finally caught up to Nichkhun, he told them what their tasks were that evening. Taecyeon bit his tongue when Chansung was told he would be with Nichkhun. It was like the battle strategy was already underway. But it was strange, Chansung never took attacks like Wooyoung’s and Nichkhun’s without arguing back with ferocity. Chansung made no motion whatsoever. It was like he was dead inside.

                *

                Wooyoung filed away the last report and spun around to face the cityscape. “Well...what’re you planning I wonder?” He voiced softly. Hearing his door open, he turned back to find Nichkhun. “All finished?”

                “Yes.” He answered as he sat down. “About Min-Jun...we’re sort of at a stalemate right now.”

                Wooyoung flexed his hands and took a deep breath. “Need assistance?”

                Nichkhun smiled and shook his head. “No...I think it just goes along with everything else that has happened in my life. Why did your Chansung look at me funny?” Wooyoung was surprised by the question.

                “Oh well, you two really knew each other before you asked me to take some of your memories away.” He answered.

                “I did something bad to him, didn’t I? And now my Second wants nothing to do with me. At some point, I would just rather wither away.”

                Wooyoung rose up and skirted around his desk. Crouching down before his First he took his hands tightly in his own. “Then come home, I cannot say it enough that you were more than welcome to.”

                “That would mean infringing on your space.” Nichkhun mumbled. “Besides, when did you start calling it home?” He teased playfully.

                “It is my house, Nichkhun.” He smiled softly at the thought. He hadn’t even realised he called it ‘home’ until Nichkhun pointed it out. “Besides, I would feel more at ease if you were closer. You could stay in the South wing.” Wooyoung rose up and motioned for him to stand.

                “Do I have a choice?”

                Wooyoung cupped his face. “You’ve always had a choice.”

                Nichkhun leaned forward until their foreheads touched. “I know...” He whispered.

                “I leave the decision in your hands. Junho will be needing some company. Would you be so kind as to offer?” He asked as he began packing his bag.

                “Well, I would never deny giving dear Junho company. I have to thank him for looking after my wounds from the Hunter’s.”

                “I had hoped to spend the night with Chansung and Taecyeon but I feel that won’t happen.” He said with a small smirk. “I’ve been a very bad master it seems.”

                Nichkhun shrugged, “You’re not bad. Just...human like the rest of us.”

                “Oh, why are you so special?” Wooyoung cooed.

                “If you did get up to anything just be sure to warn Changmin this time. He’s used to seeing you , but the whole lot of you really put him in a mood today.”

                Wooyoung couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “It was so priceless! When he came in this morning, ah, I hadn’t been so amused in a long time.”

                They both left the main office and locked up. Wooyoung had left the management of the company to his directors for the allotted time of a month. He had done it before. As always they complained and asked for his reasons, but they eventually consented and went along with his demands. Being a CEO was very tiring in this day and age. As they neared his estate he couldn’t help but release a sigh of relief.

                “I’ve been looking forward to this all night...”

                “Might be the last time for a while,” Nichkhun added.

                “Yes...but I have a feeling frustrations will be running high.”

                *

                Wooyoung slowly made his way to the foyer staircase. There was a party already under way. Walking up the stairs, he stopped. It had been a while since he had a bit of fun with his coven. Heading to a lower office to drop off his bag, he found Taecyeon filing away some papers. “My, my, aren’t you working hard, Taecyeon.” He surprised. Taecyeon whipped around. ‘Jumpy,’ he thought.

                “Sheesh, did you have to sneak up on me?” Taecyeon exhaled heavily and calmed himself.

                “Doing something I’m not supposed to be aware of?” He threw his coat and bag onto a chair.

                Taecyeon smirked and shook his head. “You taught me to never be up to any good.”

                Wooyoung ‘tsked’ and went over to his cabinet of liquors. The doors opened and Junho walked in. His little mage looked so cute. “Ara, is my adorable mage drunk already?” Strutted up to him and smiled.

                “I always told you alcohol was bad for me. Why are you both hiding in here?”

                “How did you even know I was home?” Wooyoung wondered as he poured himself some whiskey.

                “I have my ways.”

                “Where is Chansung, Junho?” Taecyeon asked coldly. Wooyoung sent him a questionable look.

                “Ah, he’s with Changmin and Nichkhun.” Junho boasted. “After his mem-”

                Wooyoung appeared before him and shook his head.

                “Okay, now you’re acting really suspicious. After your heavy talk with Chansung I noticed things too, Wooyoung. Nichkhun wasn’t himself at all either...and Chansung acted really weird, even you have to admit it.” Taecyeon said and took a seat.

                “Junho you little nymph, have you told anyone else?”

                “Pro’bly not...” Junho huffed.

                Wooyoung gawked. “Why don’t you ever do what I want?” He pinched Junho’s cheek, hard.

                “Because I’m cute!”

                “Aiyah...what am I to do?” Wooyoung dragged him inside and shut the door. Locking it he sat Junho down and motioned for Taecyeon to come closer.

                “Taecyeon...remember how I said unless the circumstance was dire, you should never erase someone’s memories?”

                It clicked instantly. Taecyeon leaned forward and held his hand in his head. “You didn’t...”

                “He asked me to.”

                Taecyeon shot up surprised. “Nichkhun?”

                “Yes, Nichkhun...” Junho grumbled. “Can you imagine being around your First, the person you love, and they hate you and never want anything to do with you?!”

                “Junho, love, my dearest love,” Wooyoung laughed as he came to sit with him. “Do me the lovely favour of drinking this and shutting up while I talk to the sober one, alright?”

                Taecyeon chuckled a little bit.

                “Well, since we are sober, and I’m hoping Junho did what I asked and debriefed you on the Old Forest, Taecyeon-

                “He did-

                “I ing did!”

                “Okay, okay, shush, it’s alright.” Wooyoung cooed and kissed Junho’s temple. Honestly, whoever got him drunk was going to get severe punishment. They all knew Junho was not supposed to drink. “Are you sober enough to listen to the mission I have in store for you?”

                “I really wanted a tonight...” Taecyeon huffed.

                “Oh, does my handsome Taecyeon want Junho?” Wooyoung sighed. “I couldn’t have fathomed you both getting together – you were like polar opposites in the beginning.”

                “I’m not staying with you tonight.” Junho said as he checked his nails. “You know, I’m the socialite, the one who maintains all of Wooyoung’s connections – without my body.” He added the last quickly causing Wooyoung and Taecyeon to chuckle.

                “And we do appreciate it very much, Junho.” Taecyeon said.

                “Mm...” Wooyoung hummed and took a small sip from his drink. Junho’s arms tightened around him. “Junho, I want more whiskey.” Junho sighed and released him. Yes, he would much rather be drinking blood, however, it had been a long time since he’d been able to sit with his little darklings.

                “So, debrief, Wooyoung...” Junho urged.

                “There are three different types of gemstones I wish you to find.” He began and stood at full height. He took his own seat and faced them. “The first is Jade, and if you can find it, Jade that is lavender in colour; if you only find the green version that’s alright as well. The second is emerald, now for this one I want you to find as much as you can.” They nodded. “The last is sodalite, it is not as important, but I would like you to bring back as much as possible. The emerald is the most important.”

                “And we’ll be able to find all three of these in the Old Wood?” Taecyeon asked.

                “Yes...” Junho answered. “How did you know they were all there?”

                Wooyoung smiled to himself. How indeed. “That’s something I’ll be keeping to myself.”

                Junho scoffed and rose up. “Well, if you’re going to have that attitude then I’ll just make my way downstairs – enjoying myself – without your riddles for one night. If you need me...you know where I am.”

                “Junho, no – come back.” Wooyung ushered.

                “You can go back later.” Taecyeon laughed.

                Just as Junho was about to take his hand, Wooyoung felt a tremble run up the back of his neck and his vision shook.

                “Wooyoung, your eyes – they’re completely amber.”

                “...” He muttered and felt his knees give.

                “Wooyoung!”

                He was falling to the floor. His glass had already taken the plunge. As soon as he hit Taecyeon’s body, the soft expanse of a silk covered bed appeared. His vision fluctuated between the two realities, the warmth and comfort, and the concerned voices of Junho and Taecyeon until he succumbed to sleep completely.