Kissing Pavement

Collapsed Hope

Nam Soon had had a long day. An emotional, physical, long day. Needless to say he was tired.

He trudged along behind Heung Soo, each step a jarring reminder of the days trials. He wrapped an arm around his aching ribs and stubbornly kept pace with the older boy. Having exhausted all words the two were silent save for the soft grunts uttered by Nam Soon when he stepped the wrong way. Heung Soo remained stoic, unable to process the actions of Nam Soon that day, nor his own reckless behaviour. His leg was throbbing, voicing its displeasure at the day's events. Heung Soo could hear the uneven footfalls of his old friend behind him, ever the silent shadow, so different to how they would have walked together in the past. His mind kept flashing back to happier days and he angrily pushed them back. A break in the steps behind him had him pausing and a soft thud made him turn his head. His eyes narrowed at the sight of Nam Soon on his knees. Before he could utter a word Nam Soon slumped forward and caressed the ground with his body.


 

"Nam Soon?", Heung Soo question softly, his feet reluctant to move him forward. The scene in the storeroom replaying through his mind. When Nam Soon gave no reply Heung Soo once again found himself rushing to his side. A voice in the back of his head whispered, 'Old habits die hard', which he deliberately ignored. Heung Soo gently rolled Nam Soon over, bracing his head on his good leg, all the while calling his name. Just like before Nam Soon remained unresponsive. Only this time Hueng Soo knew there was no help near and he could feel the panic clawing at the edges of his sanity. Shaking it off Heung Soo manoeuvred Nam Soon around and onto his back before standing, his leg renewing its earlier protests with vigour. He grimly ignored it, changing his current walking path to that of one that would take him to Nam Soon's house. Somehow he felt that his sister would not appreciate this particular house guest right now.


 

Nam Soon groaned slightly when Heung Soo stumbled on the uneven ground and he found himself strangely grateful for the small sound. A reassurance that Nam Soon's stillness was not permanent. Nevertheless he quickened his pace as best he could. His gait was definitely lopsided by the time he reached Nam Soon's place, despite the decidedly too light body of the younger boy on his back. Setting Nam Soon down against the railing Heung Soo searched through his bag for his keys. Unlocking the door he kicked his shoes off and tossed both their bags inside before returning and lifting Nam Soon up into his arms. He then proceeded inside. After depositing Nam Soon gently onto his bed Heung Soo dashed back out to shut the door, taking Nam Soon's shoes with him as he went. Upon returning he found himself standing in the doorway, eyeing the body lying on the bed, unwillingly to really involve himself further nor tear himself away. Letting out a growl of frustration Heung Soo stalked back into the room.


 

Undressing Nam Soon was not something Heung Soo was unfamiliar with, he briefly thought back on all the times he'd done this for the younger boy back when the 'Tsunami' had bitten off more than he should chew, however this did not make it any less awkward and he hurried through the motions. Only when Nam Soon was redressed in a pair of sweatpants did Heung Soo disappear into the bathroom to raid the medicine cabinet. He spend the next ten minutes spreading salve over various bumps and bruises that littered Nam Soon's upper body. Another five minutes was spent getting him into his sweatshirt and tucked into his bed. All the while it worried him that Nam Soon was so still, just how tired was he anyway...

"Crazy bastard." He murmered, eyes gazng sadly at Nam Soon, somewhat reluctant to leave the younger boy on his own. Startled by his own thought's Heung Soo turned and bolted from the house. Refusing to acknowledge what today had meant to him and his relationship with Nam Soon.


 

Nam Soon's first feeling was that of warmth, which was weird because he distinctly remembered kissing the pavement with great clarity. The next thing he noticed was that his body was not as sore as it should be given the activities it had engaged in the previous day. And finally once he gathered his strength and cracked open his eyes Nam Soon realised he was in his room. Nam Soon lifted the blanket that was tucked firmly around him and gazed down at his sleeping clothes. Slowly he sat up and gingerly raised his shirt. He grimaced at the angry latticework bruises and scrapes that tattooed his chest. He briefly wondered if his back looked this bad before decided that checking would be more pain than what it was worth. Rolling onto his side Nam Soon began the process of climbing to his feet and wandered from his room, groaning as his joints stretched and cracked. Then his eyes fell the empty jar of medicine or rather the two backpacks laying near each other behind the table, one of which was not his and looked like it belonged on the shoulder of one Hueng Soo. A small smile graced his lips and Nam Soon found himself oddly happy to have been beaten the day before. If Heung Soo would still go so far for him then perhaps there was still hope their friendship could be repaired or reformed as the case may be. He'd just have to hope that there would be a way to prove to Hueng Soo that his apologies were heartfelt and sincere. Now bearing a fully fledged grin Nam Soon hurried through his morning routine, injuries pushed to the background next to this new found hope.  Locking the door on his way out Nam Soon decided to take a detour past Heung Soo's place to drop his backpack off, knowing that if he attempted to give it back to him at school, it would likely not be appreciated and he was going to do his best to win his friend back.


A/N: There we go. One, 1000 word chapter. Please point out any gramatical errors to me and leave a comment if you so desire. I am unsure as to whether to make this a one-shot or continue it as a chapter fic. I would love everybodies opinion on the matter.