The Ball

The Pre-Shoot

I'd starved myself that day, hoping that I wouldn't look bloated in front of my new cast and crew. 

It tickled me inside, thinking I was finally going to start acting. No more training - no more cameo - I'm now full-on acting. In a big movie that will air internationally!

Then, it dawned on me - I still don't know who the stars are. I shuddered to think what faux pas I might let out, due to lack of research.

My hair and make up was done at Kang Ho the Red Carpet in Gangnam. I brought my dress, and we were on our way to the ball. 

Dong Seop oppa was my newly-assigned manager. He is in his late twenties - not that much older than me. Very good looking, with idol-like features, and tall height. He is athletic - I saw him at the gym lifting weights regularly, where I had daily training to keep my figure.

He seemed nice - very experienced after working with a few idol groups from other companies, before settling at our company to manage an actress.

He got the short end of the stick - I'm a newly debuted actress. No, wait.. I haven't even started shooting. 

An older girl, probably around oppa's age was also in the car with us that day. She's the coordi. She nagged me out for not waiting for her before picking the dress. 

I kept apologizing "Sorry Min Ah eonni. I'm sorry. I didn't know."

I have to deal with her all night? Sigh.

Anyway, Dong Seop oppa was driving along the highway for what felt like eternity. The ball was located outside of Seoul, so that made sense. 

We'd left the make up place at noon, and it's already 3pm. My stomach started to gurgle.

"Hungry?" Dong Seop oppa asked me.

"I'm dieting today, Oppa. What are you talking about?"

"I'm hungry. Let's stop over somewhere. You could get a coffee or water or whatever you drink on a diet. What do you want, Min Ah?"

"Whatever. I'm famished. I could eat a house!"

**

Dong Seop oppa was busy buying sandswiches, so I walked around with my iced americano in my hand. I was looking at the souvenirs they sold at the stop over mart, when suddenly I hear girls screaming. "Huh?" I turned around.

I see Dong Seop oppa running out from the sandwich shop with the sandwiches in one hand and he used the other hand to lead me by my waist, back to the car.

"What happened, Oppa?"

"Some famous idol's car just stopped by here too. We can't risk you appearing on the tabloids before you debut."

Great. An idol was there, and I can't even see him. 

I'm a great K-Pop fan, but unfortunately, I can't dance, so I picked acting instead.

I peeped at the black car parked two lots away from ours, and thought I saw someone who looked like Doojoon from Beast. I'm a huge B2UTY, and I got super excited at that.

"Oppa, is it BEAST? Please, can I just say hello and introduce myself? PLEASEEEEEEEE"

He ignored me, opened the door and asked me to get in, and before long, we were on our way again. 

Sigh.

Didn't really help that Min Ah eonni was snoring away in the back seat.

**

It was still bright out when we arrived. We'd pulled up at the Resort's lobby, and were greeted by the staff, who were supposed to drive us up to the villa on a buggy. Dong Seop oppa and Min Ah eonni picked up all the luggages, I held my dress, and we were on our way up to the villa.

The villa was BEAUTIFUL. It was HUGE - 4 stories high. It was located right next to the beach in its own little lagoon. It had a swimming pool in the back, located just a few meters away from the sandy banks of the lagoon.

There were pretty little trees lining the pool and lagoon, and there were already a few people there.

We were escorted up to a room from the back, where I was allowed to get changed. Dong Seop oppa left the luggages, and headed back down for a smoke.

Min Ah eonni took out the dress, stripped me, got me into that dress, touched up my make up, and soon, the ball was to begin.

**

They began with a speech, a toast, and then they did some wishing of luck to the directors and producers, and then we were left to mingle on our own.

Min Ah eonni and Dong Seop oppa were obviously no where to be seen. They're probably upstairs in the room having a huge meal or two, and discussing their awesome experiences with other artistes. 

I was so awkward. The producer was nice enough to bring me around the room and introduce me to some of the bigger-named actors who were on the show. It was such an honour! 

But, I didn't stay long with anyone in particular. They all seemed to have so much to talk about. I was still new - no experiences. Just lots of foresight. 

And I foresaw days of my being a little lonely on set. 

Sigh.

I'd had one too many Sodas (I don't drink alcohol - it makes you get a tummy), and needed some air, so I excused myself and walked out to the swimming pool deck.

It was even more beautiful at night - there were twinkle lights in the trees, and lights in the pool. It was so surreal.

I rested on one of the deck chairs and stared out into the night ocean.

Can I really do this?

I leaned back, propped up against my arms, as the breeze blew into my hair. I took a deep breath of the ocean breeze, while letting go of all my stress.

CLANK!

I heard something fall suddenly. I turned around in shock, and saw a male figure slowly picking up a pot that he had pushed over by accident while walking past. I heard him stifle a little giggle, then I heard him talk to himself. He sounded familiar. And I don't think he can see me here on the chair.

He walked to the edge of the pool and stared into it and muttered something unintelligible under his breath.

I squinted and tried hard to figure out who he was. I leaned forward.

CLACK!

I fell off the lawnchair, which had folded itself in half.

I groaned.

The male figure ran up to me, and helped me up.

My is going to be bruised tomorrow!

I looked at him to say thank you - but my tongue got caught in my throat.

HOLY SMOKES, it's YOON DOOJOON!

I gave him a toothy grin instead. How glamorous.

"Are you alright?" he asked

I managed a shy nod, before I said "Thank you, Yoon Doojoon-ssi!"

He smiled. "What's your name? You're the mistress, right? The new actress?"

Eugh. The word 'mistress.'

"Yeah, that's me! Hello, my name is Seo Hye Ri. Very nice to meet you. I'm such a fan!"

He smile again. "Seo Hye Ri -ssi, I can't wait to see how we'll work together! I'm the lead. We'll uhrm.. be having a kissing scene?"

I blushed. Oh My God. I'm kissing Yoon Doo Joon? Did I die and go to B2UTY heaven?!

"Let's get to know each other better, shall we?" he said, while leading me to a sturdy bench, and sitting next to me.

We sat for hours just talking about music, idols, and everything. We felt like friends already. 

Soon, we started talking about our future on set together. I couldn't wait! 

I guess my debut is actually going to be an awesome-as-heck experience - better than I expected.

 

This is going to be awesome.