Darkness Awaits at the End of the Tunnel

A Thousand Years

 

A/N: Hello there, dear readers! Welcome to the first chapter of A Thousand Years!! :) I hope you enjoy this first chapter! I will see you at the end! Enjoy~! :D

 -----

"LET ME GO!" Bang Yongguk shouted at his captor. He had no idea how this happened. He was walking to Himchan's, his boyfriend, apartment when BAM! His vision was gone and his mouth and nose full of chloroform. Then, he ended up here, in this not-so-sturdy-looking structure, Yongguk guessed a warehouse of sorts. A very, very old warehouse that looked like it had experienced many natural disasters in it's time. Large wooden beams were hanging from the ceiling-Yongguk felt as if one was going to fall and impale him-visible dirt and dust covered the floor, and there were shattered windows high above him, most of them were covered but some were not.

Yongguk looked at his captor. A slender figure was standing before him, dressed in all black and in a mask, hood covering the person's head. He had no idea if it was a he or a she, they hadn't spoken a word, but instead had a another person speak for them. The man that spoke for the person was a bodyguard of sorts, buff and tough-looking, although Yongguk knew that it was almost always an act.

The person leaned over and whispered to the bodyguard.

"I can't do that. I'm doing this for a purpose and besides, I captured you, I'm not just going to let you go." The bodyguard informed Yongguk. Yongguk frowned slightly. How was he going to get out of this? This was a sticky situation, indeed.

"Can you tell me what your purpose is?" Yongguk asked, changing his tactics. He had to get out of this mess, somehow. The person shook their head and leaned over to the guard.

"I can't tell you that either. I can tell you that I was hired by someone else, well, more like I asked them to put me specifically on this job. They just insisted on paying me. That was a bonus." The guard spoke for the figure. Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows. Someone else? Yongguk looked down at the dusty floor.

"I don't understand. Someone else?" Yongguk questioned the person. He struggled in his restraints, shaking his head slightly. This all made no sense.

"This person is someone I'm close with. You could say I like this person. But that's not the point." The guard informed Yongguk of the person's words. Yongguk tilted his head to the side, slightly.

"Then, what is the point?" Yongguk narrowed his eyes at the black figure before, analyzing him. He couldn't find any characteristics that could help in identifying him. But, he supposed he couldn't expect anything else; the figure was a black blob. Well, that's what it looked like anyway.

"The point is," the figure moved his hand out from under his cloak as the guard talked. In the person's hand was a silver knife, thick and sharp. Yongguk's eyes widened.

"I am here to do a job. And that job is to kill you." The cloaked figured then moved his other hand out from under the darkness. In his other had was a black-as-night handgun. Yongguk just stared at it, eyes already as wide as they could go.

"But, I am going to be generous and give you an option," The figure lifted both his hands up to Yongguk could see the objects better. "Choose your fate. Death by slashes of a knife, or, death by bullet of a gun? Your choice." Yongguk's breath hitched. Choose? Between certain death...? Yongguk set his eyes on the gun. Quick and painless, much unlike the knife that would have to cut through his flesh. Who knew when the pain would stop if he chose the knife.

"The gun," Yongguk saw the person draw the knife back into the darkness of their cloak and raise the gun. "Wait!" Yongguk raised his voice, pulling at his restraints. The person lowered the gun a bit, tilting their cloaked head to the side. The figure leaned over to the guard.

"Yes?" The guard spoke in a questioning tone. Yongguk let out a breath of relief.

"I would like to request something; a phone call." Yongguk told the two and he saw the figure and the guard exchange glances, well what would be a glance if the person wasn't cloaked. Then, the figure shrugged their shoulders. He leaned over to the guard, whispering in his ear.

"Alright, you may have one phone call." The guard took out his phone and readied it.

"Thank you," Yongguk replied. Even if they were his captors, he still appreciated them giving him the chance to say goodbye. "The number is 473-249-8061." Yongguk named off a phone number and the guard punched it into the phone. He came over, feet thudding loudly aganist the ground, and wedged the phone between Yongguk's head and shoulder, letting him hold it in place. The guard went back over to the figure and leaned his ear in close, listening to the murmurs of his master.

"Let me make myself clear though; if you say anything about where you are or how you got here, I will shoot you in the head. Right between the eyes, you got me?" Yongguk nodded silently as best as a person could with a phone wedged between their head and shoulder. He waited as the rings increased in number, hoping that the person would pick up. He silently begged in his head to all that was up there, just let him be able to say goodbye. Please.

The phone was on it's third ring when a voice broke through with a disgruntled "Hello?"

"Himchan?" Yongguk let out the breath he didn't know he was holding with Himchan's name. He heart beat skipped as he heard Himchan's sleep-filled voice; Yongguk's phone call had woken him up. He heard Hichan intake a sharp breath.

"G-Gukkie?! Where are you?! I was worried sick!" Himchan exclaimed and Yongguk's heart clenched as he knew that Himchan was never going to see him again. He frowned as his eyes became blurry for a moment; upcoming tears.

"I'm sorry, Channie. I got kidnapped, and no, I don't know where I am or even the slightest clue as to who kidnapped me," Yongguk eyed the figure as it raised the gun slightly, then lowered it as he spoke. Himchan gasped with surprise.

"Guk-"

"Listen, Himchan. I don't have much time. My kidnapper was generous enough to let me have a phone call with you to say goodbye to you. I'm going to d-die, Hime." Yongguk stuttered as he felt more upcoming tears form. He tried to hold them back, at least while he was on the phone with his lover. There didn't need to be more than one person crying over the phone; he had to be strong for the younger.

"You're going to... di-ie...?" Himchan hiccuped into the phone. Yongguk cursed in his head as he realized Himchan probably already had tears strolling down his face like it wasn't anybody's business. He cursed again when he heard Himchan let out a soft sob.

"Yes, Himchan. I'm going to die, but I don't want you to cry. Please don't cry too much, Himmie." Yongguk pleaded with the younger. Himchan sniffled and Yongguk knew he was trying to hold back for him. He knew Himchan like the back of his hand; they had been together for so long, three years in fact. Yongguk was going to ask Himchan to marry him soon. He had bought him a ring and-

Yongguk's eyes widened as a thought hit him like something being thrown at his forehead.

"Himchan, I want you do something real quick. Where are you in your apartment?" Yongguk asked quickly and Himchan took a shuddering breath.

"I'm in the living room. Why?" Himchan asked and Yongguk heard him get up, from the couch probably. He beetles a sigh of relief when he noticed Himchan's had gone back to it's normal tone somewhat.

"Go into your room and look in your nightstand drawer." Yongguk told the younger. Himchan started walking and Yongguk heard a door open and some shuffling as the drawer was opened. "Now, do you see that black box to the left corner?"

"Yes, I see it. What is it, Yongguk?" Himchan asked him. Yongguk smiled faintly.

"Open it."

The older heard shuffling as the drawer was closed and he shifted the phone to a position similar to Yongguk's head-shoulder position.

Prior to getting kidnapped, Yongguk had put the little black box that held the engagement that he was going to give to Himchan in his nightstand. Yongguk knew he would have lost it in the mess that was his house and he didn't want to take the chance. He also knew that Himchan never looked in his nightstand drawer because nothing was of use in there.

Yongguk heard a gasp that could only be described as a Himchan-gasp. Yongguk smiled as he heard Himchan left out a strangled cry, but he couldn't identify if it was because he was happy that Yongguk was giving him this-indirectly, yes, but still giving him it-or if he was still crying over the older.

"G-Gukkie... It's beautiful. W-why?" Himchan asked once he formed the words in his head. Yongguk smiled sadly.

"I was going to ask you to marry me, Kim Himchan."

A gasp.

A choked sob.

And a thud.

Yongguk was confused for a moment.

"Himchan? Are you alright?" He heard a muffled "Oh!" and he assumed Himchan had realized something.

"Sorry, Guk! The phone fell out of my shoulder," A pause as Yongguk waited for Himchan to speak again.

"I can't believe this. Yongguk, it fits and looks perfect on my ring finger. How much was it?" Yongguk chuckled and shook his head.

"17,881,566.30 won. It's 3 carats." Yongguk informed the other. Himchan gasped and Yongguk smiled.

"Oh my god. Yongguk! That's so much!" Yongguk just laughed at Himchan's surprised tone.

"It was worth it because it was for you. I remember the lady at the store told me it was a 'princess cut' and I immediately bought it because it fit your personality." Yongguk laughed as Himchan groaned at what Yongguk thinks of him.

"Shut up!" Himchan exclaimed and Yongguk just laughed. Then all went silent as both of them didn't know what to say.

"Would you have said yes?" Yongguk waited a moment for Himchan to reply.

"I am saying yes," Yongguk's breath hitched but he knew Himchan wasn't done.

"I would and always will say yes, whether it be in this lifetime or the lifetime after that or the lifetime after that. I will will always say yes to the man named Bang Yongguk."

Yongguk knew him and Himchan had mirrored expressions on their faces. He was glad he could still smile, considering the circumstances.

Himchan could always make him do that.

A clearing of the throat caught Yongguk's attention. It was the guard. Yongguk had forgotten where he was for a second.

"Get a move on." The guard hurried him and Yongguk nodded his head sullenly.

"Himchan," Yongguk spoke, getting Himchan's attention. He made a noise of acknowledgment, signaling the older to go on.

“I have to go.”

A hitch of Himchan’s breath.

“No, Yongguk. You ca-an’t!” Yongguk felt tears well-up in his eyes as he heard his lover’s voice crack.

“Himchan, I have to. There is absolutely no way I can get out of here. I’ve accepted it my fate,” Himchan made a choking noise and Yongguk breathed heavily.

“I’ve never wanted to really wanted to do anything with my life except be with you, and if I can’t do that, I don’t want to do anything else.” Yongguk told the boy, sincerely.

“I know, Yongguk. I know.” Himchan was crying, and Yongguk was broken-hearted.

“Himchan, you had always said that I was the strong one. And you were usually right,” Another choking noise. Another piece of Yongguk’s heart broken.

“But I need you to be the strong one now. I need you to be strong without me. I need to know that you will do that. Can you do that for me?” Yongguk had only one plea and he hoped Himchan would be alright.

“I-I will try, Guk.” Yongguk smiled, wryly.

“Thank you, Himchan. You don’t know how much you’ve meant to me these past years.” Yongguk could tell Himchan was smiling.

“I know. The same goes for you in my mind.” Yongguk felt the tears come. He looked at the two in front of him and silently cursed them.

“Bye, Himchan. I’ll miss you.”

“Bye, Yongguk. I’ll miss you so much.” Yongguk was about to hang up when he realized something.

“Himchan! Wait!” Yongguk said hastily.

“What?” Yongguk sighed in relief as when he heard that Himchan hadn’t hung up yet.

“I love you.”

Three simple words.

But, they were laced with so much emotion.

They meant so much.

“I love you, too, Gukkie. Always and forever.”

And Yongguk didn’t want to go. In that moment he wanted to stay on the phone with Himchan forever, just talking about nothing.

He didn’t want to leave this world, but he knew he had to.

So, he hung up.

And with that little push of a button, Yongguk’s heart broke into a million little pieces.

Yongguk snapped back to reality and looked at the hooded figure.

“You done?” The guard asked and Yongguk nodded numbly. The guard came over to him and took the phone laying on Yongguk’s shoulder. He threw it on the ground and stomped on it, smashing it into tiny, shrapnel-like pieces, resembling Yongguk’s heart.

The guard stepped back until he was next to the hooded figure. Yongguk watched as the figure took it’s stance, raising the gun, aiming it for right between Yongguk’s eyes.

Then, the figure shifted. A mere side-step of it’s foot. No one would have noticed, unless they were looking very closely at said person. And that was what Yongguk was doing.

The shift in the person’s step made it’s cloak fly up a bit around it’s ankles. On it’s ankle, there was a tattoo. Yongguk’s eyes widened.

And he knew exactly who was about to kill him.

No.

It couldn’t be.

And before Yongguk could think of anything else, he was shot, dead, by that figure.

-----

A/N: Did you enjoy it? I hope so! This was all in the past if you couldn't tell and the story will pick up in the present in the next chapter so look foward to it! Do remember to comment and subscribe! They make me day!! :D I will see you guys in the next chapter!! :) Until then~~!

~spiritofthenight