Be My Guest

Forever Youngbae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The plume of smoke stung her eyes.

She could’ve chosen a better spot than the local ajeossi bar around the corner.  But the place was nearly empty when she walked in and the dark mood lighting suited her just fine.  Had she been in a better state of mind… had her life not been turned upside down, then yeah… maybe.  Maybe she would have fixed her hair.  Applied another coat of red lipstick.  Gussied up and took a cab towards the string of happening nightclubs in Gangnam-gu and partied her life away. 

But it didn’t matter now.  Nothing was going to stop her from finishing her coke and rum tonight.  The cigarette fumes masked the hint of tears that still clung to her thick dewy lashes.  It offered her a shield of protection from prying eyes.  But if anyone asked, it would give her the perfect out for why her eyelids appeared swollen, or why her nose appeared red and rubbed raw.  As long as she could miserably wallow in peace, she would welcome the heavy, stagnant air with open arms.

“Is that all you’re drinking tonight?”

She glanced over to her left, encountering a pair of sparkling eyes filled with mischief.  The guy appeared to be around her age, perhaps give or take a couple of months.  But with his slightly curly locks and lopsided grin, she would’ve sworn he was younger.  He didn’t seem to have a care in the world. 

Lucky bastard.

Glancing around, it was evident the stranger was speaking to her.  She her lips and parted to reply.

“Looks like you could use something a bit stronger,” the stranger interrupted.  As if it were possible, his smile grew wider.  With a quick raise of his index finger, the young man called for two shots of vodka.

“Uh,” she stammered.  “Y-you didn’t-“

He grinned.

“You shouldn’t have done that.”

“Mwuh?” He cocked a dark brow, eyeing her inquisitively.  He took in her straight blonde locks, oval face, and prominent cheekbones.  Even with her smeared eye-makeup, he could tell that she was beautiful in an unconventional way.  “Aren’t you drinking?”  He pointedly gazed at her half-filled glass tumbler.

She flushed.

“Besides,” he continued, unfazed.  Still smiling.  “It would be rude of me if I allowed you to continue drinking alone.”

“But I don’t even know who you are.”

“Ah.”  His eyes widened in understanding as he hopped off the barstool.  Clasping his hands before him, he gave her a deep ninety degree bow.  “Lee Seungri, imnida.  At your service.”

Her lips twitched and a burst of amusement filled her eyes.  She marginally inclined her head in return.  “Lee Chaerin.”  She watched as Seungri plopped back onto his seat with dramatic ease.  “Nice to meet you,” she murmured, biting back an unexpected laugh.

“Lee?” Seungri repeated, his mouth in an open smile.  “We must know each other.”

“Mmm?” Chaerin replied absentmindedly as she took a sip from her glass.  “I doubt we’re related.”

His eyes brightened.  “Married then.”

She coughed, choking on her drink.

“In our past life?” Seungri grinned.

Chaerin stared, unabashedly, her eyes turning incredulous with every passing second.  Was this guy for real?  She couldn’t deny his bold words had an effect on her.  It made her forget about her woes and eased the heaviness in her heart.  A streak of admiration flashed in her dark eyes.  “Maybe,” she indulged, pressing her lips into a secretive smile.

Seungri bobbed his head and chuckled underneath his breath.  They watched as the bartender came by, plopping two shot glasses in front of them.  After the pair was quickly filled, its rim sloshing over with the clear liquid, Seungri gently nudged a small glass towards her.  “A toast, then,” Seungri announced, holding up his shot glass.

Chaerin followed suit, lifting a brow high.

“To our marriage.”

A smile broke across her face, the corners of her small eyes crinkling cutely.  “To our marriage,” Chaerin repeated, clinking her glass against his.  She downed the alcohol and held her breath while liquid fire shot down and settled deep in her stomach.  Grabbing her coke and rum, she quickly chased the burn away.

“Ahhh,” Seungri quenched.  He scrunched his face, working his mouth open and closed. 

She grimaced at the aftertaste.

“Another one.”

“Mwuh?”

“We’ll have another,” Seungri announced to the bartender.  “Just put it on my tab.”

Chaerin her lips and eyed him frankly.  “Look, Seungri-sshi… I appreciate the drink.  But if you’re looking to get laid tonight, mianhae.  I’m not your girl.” 

“Oh, you thought-“  His finger darted from the newly filled shot glasses towards her direction then back.  “You thought I…”  He flushed and shook his head.  “Aniyo.  I wasn’t trying to liquor you up for that.”

A look of surprise overcame her face.  “Oh.  Mian-“

“You just looked like you needed company, that’s all.”  He shrugged his shoulder and looked at her poignantly.  “A pretty girl like you shouldn’t be sad.”

Chaerin immediately lowered her gaze, feeling shamed for her quick assumptions.  “Mianhae,” she apologized once more, feeling remorseful.  “It’s just that… in the past, whenever guys bought me drinks they usually expected one thing.”

He nodded with understanding, a polite smile on his face.  “Well…” Seungri glanced down at his shot glass, eyeing the liquid with fondness.  He looked back up at her.  “I’m not like most guys.”

Her lips pressed up into a smile.  Chaerin nodded, her eyes turning kind.  “I’m beginning to realize that.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter