Before School

Don't Let Me Go

Hana Lee stared at the dark bruise surrounding her wrist, curtesy of her father.  It wasn't like he normally acted that way towards her, if she caught him on a good day, he would nod his head in acknowledgement of her tiny prescence.  She smirked, proud of the way that they had finally noticed what the years of neglect and ignoring her had done.  Her father had lost his constantly cool demeanor and yelled at her in the principal's office in front of the principal and had grabbed her wrist, roughly pulling her out of the building.

Why had she been in the principal's office?  For skipping some summer program for acting and leaving to go live in America for 6 weeks with no parental guidance.  It wasn't that she hadn't found the program fun, but after overhearing the instructors say that the only reason she was in the lowest level of acting with the worst instructors was because her parents had spent money that was supposed to going towards her sister and her, went only towards her sister.  Upset and tired of what felt like her parents basically sacrificing her all the time, Hana left to go stay with her friend from the U.S.  It took the principal telling her parents that she was missing 3 weeks after she went missing, for them to notice that she wasn't there.

Her dad hissed angrily at her 'If you want to act like an adult, I'll treat you like an adult, pack your things and get the hell out of my house!'

To which she had replied with a just as angry hiss of 'Good thing it was just a house and not my home, because a home is where you're loved and are surrounded by people you love.  I'm not loved here and I don't love you, your wife, or your daughter!'

'My only daughter,' her father replied unblinkingly.  Hana bit her lip, and clenched the fist, the one not holding her duffel bag filled with everything she owned, tighter and turned around, reshouldering her backpack.

She looked over her shoulder and said: 'Do what you want.  I'm through caring.', before she started walking the long road back to school.

Hana knew what her fath- Mr. Lee would do the moment he saw her not turning around, he would sever all ties with her.  Which meant her phone would be shut off, not that she would have anyone to call, and her pictures burned.  She was lucky that her former family had forced her to get a scholarship to pay for her own education, while her sister was paid for in full, and that the school was also a boarding school.  When she arrived at the school, the receptionist at the front desk had said to come back tomorrow to find what dorm she was staying in, and to find a place to stay for tonight.  Not wanting to waste her money on a hotel or motel, she decided to sleep under the stars on the roof of the school's math building, with her duffle bag as her pillow for the night.