Catharsis

ual Healing

 

As Key entered the flat, he took note of how luxurious and yet comfortable the place appeared. He looked around with appreciation and wonder while Tae Yang crossed to the kitchen to get them drinks. CD’s were scattered everywhere, betraying the owner’s love of music. All of the furniture was designer but the place didn’t look stuffy or contentious; it looked lived in. The couch had indentations from three bodies, the kitchen was filled with a variety of ingredients (more than one would think for a group of guys), and the entertainment station was filled with video games and movies, both foreign and domestic. Key spotted a skateboard, English video lessons, and an impressive camera. The place was so comfortable that he felt welcome in a stranger’s apartment. There were also pictures everywhere; of SeungRi and multiple ladies, of Daesung and Yoo Jae Suk, of Tae-Yang and Hyunseung, of all the boys together, etc. It was easy to see that they all cared deeply for each other. Key stopped at one picture in particular of all the Big Bang members; G-Dragon had possessively wrapped his arm around Tae-Yang’s waist. Were they more than friends? Were they still together? Why did Key even care? He was just here to talk after all but his eyes were drawn to the image. He didn’t like the idea of as kind man as Tae-Yang with someone as slimy as G-Dragon.

Tae-Yang returned with two glasses of ice water and saw Key staring at the photo, mistakenly thinking that Key didn’t like the way his hair was styled now compared to then. Nobody else really liked Tae-Yang’s new frizzy hair except for the man himself. “That was taken three or four years ago now; it’s hard to think that time passes that fast.”

“You and GD seem really close.” Key responded, fishing for more information about their relationship.

“We’ve been together for a long time now, almost nine eleven years. We started together as trainees; he’s like a brother to me.” He handed a glass to Key. Key raised his eyebrows at the presence of non-alcoholic water, secretly pleased with the answer. Tae-Yang caught the expression and explained, “You’re here to talk, aren’t you? Words aren’t generally needed when I’m drunk.” Key’s eyebrows went up a little bit higher at the insinuation but followed Tae-Yang over to the couches when the shorter man gestured. “Now tell me everything.”

Key sighed as he dropped down onto the comfy couch, Tae-Yang seated across from him on a matching chair. “I don’t even know where to start,” he confessed.

“Think of your current problem then trace it back to the origin.”

Key paused, hesitating once more. He wasn’t sure how Tae-Yang would react, if he would hate him or be disgusted or pretend to understand. He decided to take a chance since he was already in the man’s house. “Well, first of all, I’m gay. That’s kinda important to the story.”

Tae-Yang blinked once at the startling admission before flashing a shy smile and responding, “I know. Daesung saw you making out with Dongwoon once.” Key inhaled sharply, making a mental note that he would have to be more careful next time. On the upper hand, Tae-Yang hadn’t sounded too surprised by the concept. He continued, “I am too, you know. Gay, I mean.” At this, Key’s head snapped up, his heart singing with joy and his mind telling him that he shouldn’t be attracted to someone else so quick, not after everything that had happened. After an awkward pause, as Key didn’t know what to say, Tae-Yang reminded him of his story. “So I guess this is about a guy, huh?”

And Key told him. He told Tae-Yang everything: about his obsession with Jonghyun, about his multiple, multiple one night stands, about his short affair with Hyungseop, and even about his belief that everyone just saw him as a body to be ed and nothing else. Hours passed before Key was done talking and Tae-Yang had listened patiently to the whole thing. He hadn’t interrupted Key once. When Key starting choking up about Jonghyun, he crossed the floor to sit next to the distraught boy. When Key emptied his glass, he went and got him some more without being asked. Most importantly, when Key began crying, Tae-Yang gathered the fragile boy up in his arms and held him like Tae-Yang would protect Key from the world if he had to.

“But Key-shi, you’re an amazing person. You’re smart and you’re funny and you’re not afraid to be yourself. You are the bravest person I’ve ever met.” Tae-Yang finally broke his silence to comfort the man with the truth. “If those guys can’t see that then it’s their loss.”

Key smiled through his tears and said “I thought I told you to call me Kibum.” He was deflecting but it was also important to him somehow that Tae-Yang acknowledge him for who he was truly, not for his image.

“Then, Kibum-shi, did you hear what I said? Remember it. You are not just some body, you’re a person who deserves so much more than that.” Tae-yang smiled down at Kibum, trying to communicate his sincerity with his eyes. He touched their foreheads together lightly. Kibum sniffled and really tried to wrap his mind around the concept but months of being proved otherwise couldn’t be beaten by one man’s words, although those words were putting up one hell of a fight. They sat in that position for a long time, taking comfort in each other’s presence. Neither wanted to move out of the realm they had created for themselves on that couch. Their world wasn’t perfect but it was warm and kind and healed both of their damaged hearts a little.

After an hour or so, Tae-Yang started to notice Kibum’s eyes drooping and knew they couldn’t fall asleep like that. “Kibum-shi, I think we should probably go to bed now. You can sleep here tonight. Daesung’s bed is free.” Key was grateful Tae-Yang hadn’t offered up SeungRi’s bed. He absolutely refused to sleep there without washing the sheets. Multiple times. With bleach.

“Are you sure, Tae-Yang hyung? I can make it home.”

“Youngbae,” the older man corrected with a stern tone. There was no need for stage names between the two of them. “And there’s no way I’m letting you go home tonight. Jessica might be at the dorm again,” referring to the traumatic incidences when Kibum had to listen to the two of them go at it like monkeys in heat.

Kibum grinned sleepily but protested once more, “I don’t have any of my stuff.”

“We have extra toothbrushes and Daesung has enough skin care products to fuel an army of housewives.”

Kibum giggled at the image and finally gave in. “I have no pajama’s though.”

“You can just wear some of mine.” Youngbae had the final word on the subject and headed down the hall to his room to grab his guest some night wear.

Kibum stood rooted to his spot, happy to spend more time with the man but still confused that he didn’t want to sleep with him. It would take Kibum some time to really regenerate his self-worth. He was thrilled at the thought of being cloaked in the other singer’s clothing, covered in Youngbae’s comforting scent. When Youngbae returned, he handed Kibum a baggy shirt, some basketball shorts and a spare toothbrush. Then he showed the SHINee member his temporary room and the bathroom. When Kibum had changed into just the shirt and walked out to thank his host for his kindness, Youngbae had blushed at the gratitude (and the younger man’s state of undress) and kissed Kibum’s forehead. Kibum went to bed that night with a fluttering tummy and a content heart. He felt at home and welcome for the first time in a long time. 

 

Author's Note

For some reason, I have this suspicion that Tae-Yang is actually a total player with the guys. Can't you just picutre him throwing off his shy image and being all "hey baby, you wanna come home tonight?" I wouldn't mind it. Also, I think Tae-Yang and Hyunseung's friendship is possibly the cutest thing ever. I'm sorry I made G-D and SeungRi addicts again. I just honestly believe they are. It's not a bad thing lol, just a thing. (could be a very good thing) What did y'all think?