The Raid: Secret Service Established

The Pavillion of Blue Tiles

Ever since South Korea is officially announced an independent republic, there has been two running presidents, both faced pretty much the same concerns of managing the newly-born government. The dynamics of the country's political status, system and reign, the efforts to increase the country's economy, the renewal of systems, the still-war status with the North and, of course, the ongoing rivalry of the United States and of the then Soviet Union. The Cold War era has contributed a lot to the condition of the two Koreas, as well as the eruption of the Korean War. Being a political leader by that time sure was a tough job; not to mention how critical the position was to whoever was in place.

Just how critical of the absence of a leader, people would not imagine, until one day when it nearly happened. It was the time when the republic was on rapid economic growth under the totalitarian rule of President Park Chung-hee, yet tensions rose at the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone: a demarcation line separating North and South Korea) by incidents of border raids and breaking out of skirmishes, as it is presumed that the North is planning for reunification under its rule. This presumption proved real when there was an attempted murder towards President Park at the President working and residential complex, the Blue House, organized by the North Korean commandos with specialized trainings and preparations. This attack was more popularly known as The Blue House Raid.

Although the attempted assassination was unsuccessful, this has led the government to realize many things. One, that the North was, by no means, playing words in its efforts to take the South down, and of course, its plans to reunify the two Koreas. Two, that the absence of a leader might be a gap the North was looking for to execute the plan. Lastly, that it was necessary for the leader, and one next in order of immediate succession, to gain more protection by law.

Thus, the first batch of the Secret Service was formed. 1968.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That makes me part of the twenty-second batch. Class of 2012.

Under the Department of Home Affairs of the Republic of Korea, the Korean Secret Service has been one of the most prestigious agencies of the country, selecting only fifteen personnel in maximum per batch, held biennially. Six years after its establishment, the agency has been expanded from its initial function. Today, the agency has been involved also in handling national cases of the KCIA, cooperated with the FBI and the Interpol, especially in cases relating directly to the President and Vice President, or other possible successors of the government's leadership.

South Korea has been my home for the past twenty years, though I am only admitted a national for the past twelve. Joining the agency was something I never imagined before, yet a huge part of me with passion for history and investigative work somehow brought me here.

One year has passed since I first came to this academy...

"Amber?"

She snapped out of her trance, looking at the girl who has opened the door while calling her.

"Yes, Krys?"

"The lecture is scheduled to be in 15 minutes. You're not gonna be late for your first, right?"

She checked her watch only to realize she had been reeling too much of her past, "Oh, right. Thank you, I'll get going in a minute."

"Okay, Tae and I will meet the students to guide them to the class. Be ready by then, okay?" Krys said, ready to leave.

"Sure. I'll see you and Tae in a bit."

Amber closed her notebook she was just reading a tad earlier after she got herself ready. She took it with her to her first short, public lecture and Q&A session she will be delivering for high-school students visiting the Blue House. She almost forgot to pin her nametag on the upper left side of her blazer.

Written was, Officer Amber J. Liu. The Korean Secret Service Agent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was the first! Whaddaya guys think? Please leave some comments to know if I should untick the "Friends-only" box, and of course, your impression of the story so far! Thank you so so much for waiting, and I hope you guys don't mind the change :)