Jonghyun in the Sky (Jongkey)

Protecting Steel Hearts

 

 

 

Kibum settled himself in his bed and not his brother’s. Today, their parents barely spoke to one another, causing peace throughout the house and have no reason for him to be afraid and need shelter.

It’d been two days that Kibum did his best to try not talking to Jonghyun, too.

If Jonghyun wanted him to shut up, then fine, he’d shut up forever. If that meant Jonghyun would go right back to normal, then so be it; that’s all Kibum wanted.

The boy covered himself in his baby blue blanket and sleepily stared out the window of starless sky. It was rare he’d even see stars that it’d always made him wish he could at least see just one, shining down on him and make him smile—like Jonghyun.

Maybe Jonghyun was even like a star.

Kibum groaned and rolled his eyes to himself, covering his head with the blanket and doing his best to try and slip out of his room and into his brain as quickly as possible. He hadn’t been able to sleep very well for a long time, and even though his parents were quiet, the silence was maddening.

Kibum never thought he’d be so accustomed to hearing them fight—he only needed that noise to sleep, now. The silence was filling him with chills and he most certainly didn’t like it.

The boy curled up in a ball, rocking himself as he tried to think of many things. Maybe one day he’d travel to space to see stars up close. That would be such an accomplishment; to go to the moon. Surely his parents would be excited for him to do it—maybe even work as an astronaut.

Kibum bet real stars would be better than the makeshift one he created here: Jonghyun.

Jonghyun, the bright star that always shined down on Kibum, his brightness taking all the sadness away and lifting him as far as space could go. Didn’t space end at the sun? No?

Jonghyun was the star in Kibum’s life. The one that wasn’t outside his window, but outside his door, only steps away for when he needed him.

But his big brother wasn’t a star anymore; he fell and broke. He didn’t glow anymore and he couldn’t fly in space. He cracked and his lights switched off, wanting no more with Kibum.

Kibum could find a new star—like Tiffany. She shined from miles away! She could totally replace Jonghyun! All he’d have to do is walk to her house every time his parents fought and boom, he’d find the star in the starless sky again.

But Kibum wasn’t allowed to walk alone on the streets. That was the barrier between him and the new star.

Why was he thinking of this before he slept? He didn’t know. It wasn’t helping him sleep, but helping him get worked up over losing his brother to his parents’ personalities.

When the door creaked, Kibum shriveled up, quickly wiping his tears with his stubby little hands, trying to make himself look convincing that he was asleep. It was most likely his mother just coming in to check up on him.

His bed weighed down beside him just a bit and Kibum clenched his teeth. His parents never sat on his bed; only one other person.

  “K-Kibum?” Jonghyun whispered, a hand light on his shoulder.

Kibum still pretended slumber, not even stirring when Jonghyun lifted the blanket off of him.

The elder sighed, his hand on Kibum’s shoulder again, keeping silent for a long while.

What did Jonghyun want? To tell him being quiet wasn’t good enough? Silence was golden? How his dream of stars were useless?

  “Kibum, I . . .” Jonghyun trailed off, biting his lip, “Kibum, I’m so sorry.”

Kibum kept playing sleepy-head.

  “I know what I said was mean, buddy. It sounded like Mom and Dad, right? I’m not like them, Kibum, I’m not like them at all. I never like yelling at you or telling you things you don’t like. It’s not what I want for you. I don’t want you to see or hear this bad stuff that’s surrounding you, I want to protect you from it. But then I went and blew that. I didn’t mean to say that to you, Kibum. It’s just . . . I’m so tired. So exhausted, so worn out that I just wanted nothing more than silence.

  “But silence is too deafening, now,” Jonghyun breathed out as if he were crying, “I know it’s selfish, but I want the silence gone. I don’t want our parents to fight, but for you to talk to me. It’s my only comfort. You’re my only true comfort, Bum. I just want you to look at me again—for two days you haven’t even crossed paths with me, and I don’t know how, but I guess you’re a ninja.”

Kibum twitched a smile, rolling his eyes behind his lids.

  “I’m not a hero, Kibum. I’m not perfect. I know I make mistakes like everyone else and I made a mistake by you. I won’t do it again, Bum, I promise. I don’t like treating you like that and you avoiding me.”

Kibum thought it over, finding everything he said was fair, as well as perfectly true. Kibum didn’t want to forgive him, out of stubbornness, but the best way to mend things and go back to normal was to say ‘it’s okay’.

Jonghyun sniffed and got up from the bed, his hand leaving Kibum’s shoulder.

Kibum jerked himself up and reached to grab Jonghyun’s hand again, pulling him to the bed as the elder stared at him shocked that he was awake.

  “Sleep with me tonight, Hyung,” Kibum told him, guiding him back, “Please.”

Jonghyun stared at him for a long moment, the moon from outside shining in his eyes as water fell, his lip quivering slightly before he hugged Kibum to him tightly, quietly choking back small sobs.

Kibum now felt the guilt coming off of Jonghyun and made everything worse. Kibum was an inconsiderate boy. He did wrong by Jonghyun and that wasn’t right.

  “I’m sorry, Hyung,” Kibum whispered, rubbing his back like his brother always did to him to calm him down, “It’s okay, Hyung. No one’s perfect.”

Jonghyun slowly nodded when they pulled away, both laying down on the bed, Kibum tucked into Jonghyun’s arms, his back to the elder.

He stared out the window again, still seeing no stars in the sky. But that was alright, because in his mind eye, the brightest most flawless star was in the sky once more, lights flickering as it tried to tape itself together and flip the switch on.

  “But, Hyung, you’re perfect to me.”

 

 

 

 

 

----Note~----

Hi. c:

I really wanted to prolongue the distance between the boys, but alas, my heart wasn't feelin' the angst. So I made them okay. The only angst now is that Kibum's going to be a lot more careful and aware of himself from now on.

Wow, last Jongkey chapter was three chapters ago. I can't even keep up consistency. xD

But yup.

I'm feeling like I hadn't tried enough for these chapters, because they're so short and undescriptive, so I promise the next chapter will be a huuuge difference. Aiming for a few pages.

I think I'll make the next chapter Jongkey again, Js.

Bye guys c:

(Also updating Escape to Redemption tonight)

Thank you to every sub, comment, and view. <33333

~FlaMinhoe

Tumblr