The Last Parting

The Last Parting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  “Hyesun noona!” A little boy with a bowl cut came running towards me, a bag of coins in one hand, and a basket in the other.

  “Oh… Jun-ah…” I called out for him as he came to a stop in front of me. Putting down the bowl I had in my hands and wiping them on my pink apron, I squatted down to reach his height.

  “Noona… Mother told me to buy some bread for the soup we’re going to be having for supper tonight!”

  “That’s nice, Jun.” I smiled tenderly at him. “Wait for me, I’ll get you a loaf.” I stood up and went over to one of the display cases. After scrutinizing all the loaves of bread that was being displayed, I picked the one that looked the most fresh. I walked back over to Jun and placed the packed loaf of bread into his basket. He quickly opened up the bag of coins and dug through it for the right amount of money.

  “Thank you, noona.” He said and dropped the coins into my open palm. “Noona, would you come over to our house for supper tonight? Mother told me to invite you too!”

  “Oh really? That it’d be rude if I didn’t show up hmm?” He grinned and nodded enthusiastically.

  “Yes, it’d be very very rude. Come over at 9pm okay? Bye Hyesun noona!” He waved and ran away from the shop. I sighed as I stood up. Even though all the villagers here loved me and were always inviting me over for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and supper, I felt lonely.

  Like a piece of me was missing...

 

  “Hyesun-ah!” Before I could respond, my feet left the ground and I could feel warm arms encircling my waist.

  “Ah! Lee Donghae! Put me down!” I squealed and hit his back repeatedly. He put me down and gazed at me with bright brown eyes with a hint of a smile.

  “How are you today?”

  “I’m very fine, thank you very much.” I stuck out my tongue at him and skipped towards the little house behind me, my dress billowing behind me. I heard him chuckle before I heard the crunching of gravel beneath his feet as he followed me into the house.

  I went straight to the kitchen to take out the strawberry cake I had baked in the afternoon just for him. I smiled to myself as I carefully placed the cake on the table and went outside to call for Donghae.

  “Donghae?” I poked my head out of the kitchen to find up hanging up his navy blue coat. He looked up when he heard his name and I waved him over with a huge grin on my face. I was unable to hide my excitement.

  “Why are you smiling like you did something bad?” One side of his lips tilted upwards in a cheeky grin.

  “I didn’t do anything bad!” I quickly responded, waving my hands in front of me. He laughed heartily before coming towards me and putting my hands down.

  “I know you won’t.” He put his hands on my shoulders, turned me around, and pushed me into the kitchen.

  “Is that a strawberry cake I see?!” He suddenly exclaimed and rushed forward towards the antique table.

  “Yes.” I couldn’t help myself but let out a giggle. “I baked it for you.”

  “You weren’t lying yesterday?!” He exclaimed once more, a bright smile already appearing on his face. I shook my head, even though I knew he was too concentrated on the strawberry cake to even notice me right now.

  “Hyesun-ah!” He jumped towards me and engulfed me in a big bear hug. “Thank you so much.”He whispered into my ear, sending tingles through my spine.

 

  I hugged myself, missing the feeling of his arms around me, be it my waist or just my shoulders. I missed the feeling.

  I missed him.


 

 

  “Thank you so much for supper, Mrs Kim. The soup was delectable.” I smiled sincerely at the middle-aged lady that was cradling her little daughter in her arms. Her husband, a tall and buff man, came up next to her and slung his arm over her thin shoulders.

  “It’s no problem, Hyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter