I Wanna Love You

I Wanna Love You

Donghae was getting ready in the employee room that night when his boss entered and leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms.

“We have a new singer coming in tonight, please be nice to him.” He said and then left.

Donghae looked in the mirror and his reflection looked right back at him.

The last new singer they had brought in didn’t work out very well. Well, it wasn’t that he wasn’t a good singer as much as it was that Donghae had ed up.

“Why can’t you just admit it? You LOVE me!! Why is it so hard for you to say?” Kyuhyun pleaded as he hastily packed his bags.

Donghae just stood there and watched it happen. He didn’t have an answer for his boyfriend of five months. They had been together since a month after Kyuhyun started singing at the bar where Donghae sang. They moved in together when Kyuhyun was about to be evicted from his apartment. They had been having for awhile when Kyuhyun had said it while they were lying together in bed afterwards one night.

“I love you.” The words seemed to flow so freely from his lips, almost as though they were created to say them.

Donghae had expected it. He knew it was coming but that didn’t make it any easier to deal with. Donghae did love Kyuhyun back; or at least he thought he did. The problem was that whenever he tried to say it he couldn’t.

“It is three simple words!! I. LOVE. YOU.!!!!” Kyuhyun shouted in Donghae’s face, snapping the later back from his revere.

“I-I can’t.” Donghae stuttered and Kyuhyun angrily went back to packing his stuff up.

When he finished packing he stood before Donghae, hurt and anger lingering in his eyes. Donghae knew he wouldn’t cry, at least not in front of him. Kyuhyun wasn’t a cry baby, but he was hurting and Donghae knew that he was the cause of his partner’s pain.

“I am giving you one last chance Lee Donghae; one last chance to admit what is in your heart. To admit what your brain won’t seem to allow you to say.” Kyuhyun said, is voice even but laden with pain.

Donghae didn’t say anything, what could he say? He had been trying for weeks to get the words out but he couldn’t seem to manage them.

“Ok then.” Kyuhyun muttered and then shoved past Donghae and out the door of their shared bedroom. When he reached the front door of Donghae’s apartment he paused and turned around.

“Goodbye Donghae. I hope that one day, you will find someone who can make you feel past reason and make you realize just how wonderful love can be.” Kyuhyun muttered softly and with those words turned and left the apartment he had called home for the past few months for the last time.

That was the last time that Donghae had seen Kyuhyun. When he got to work the next day he found out that Kyuhyun had come in early and told the manager that he had to leave his position for personal reasons. All the other singers seemed to know that it was Donghae’s fault and if Donghae hadn’t been one of the best singers they had he would have been fired instantly.

Donghae looked harder into the mirror and the fixed the small amount of make-up he put on every night before he performed. He wouldn’t fall for this one, wouldn’t make the same mistake he had made last time.

He heard the door open and somebody entered the room. He didn’t turn around right away but did when he heard the person clear their throat. When he turned he saw a young boy with shaggy redish-brown hair shuffling his feet nervously.

“Can I help you?” Donghae asked politely, bring the boys attention to himself rather than his feet.

“Oh, um, yes…I am Lee Hyukjae, the new singer.” The boy said and extended his hand to Donghae with a gummy smile. Donghae shook it cautiously.

“Do you have something prepared?” Donghae asked as he returned to putting his make-up on.

“No.” Hyukjae answered and Donghae saw him hang his head as if he was ashamed.

“It’s ok, do you know this song?” Donghae asked and handed him a stack of sheet music.

“Yeah.” Hyukjae said as he slowly realized which song it was.

“Sing it.” Donghae commanded and Hyukjae didn’t dare disobey. He started to sing and Donghae thought he could have fallen in love with the boy then and there. His voice wasn’t as perfect as Kyuhyun’s was, but that is what made it even better. The raspy sound of it and the occasional wrong note made him more unique. He wasn’t perfect, but in his own way he was.

“You are doing a duet with me.” Donghae said and then drug Hyukjae out the door of the employee room to find his boss to approve the idea.

 

When the two of them began to sing that night the bar that had been noisy before got quiet, something about the sound of their two voices together shut people up. They sang the verses separately but the melody together and it was as though a calm storm swept through the audience and destroyed everything in its path, leaving dropped jaws. A roar of applause ripped through the crowd as they finished and left the stage for the privacy of the employee room.

“That was amazing!” Hyukjae cried as he hugged Donghae tightly. Normally Donghae would have pulled away immediately, but he felt himself melt into the other’s embrace.

“Hyukjae! I have never heard something that wonderful! You’re hired! It was as though you two were born to be together.” Their boss said as he poked his head in the door and then disappeared again.

 

‘It was as though you two were born to be together.’

The words seemed to echo inside Donghae’s head.

He couldn’t move, yet he was painfully aware of every centimeter of his body. He faintly heard someone crying beside him. He knew who it was, there was only one person who it could be.

“Donghae, please come back…I didn’t mean it…I didn’t want.” The person began to sob again, unable to get any words out.

Donghae wanted to open his eyes, to be able to tell him that he was still there, that he wasn’t going anywhere but he couldn’t do it; his body wouldn’t obey him.

“Please, I didn’t mean it. You don’t have to tell me you love me, I promise I won’t go anywhere. Just please come back, I can’t live without you.” Hyukjae begged again.

That was when Donghae remembered.

They had had a fight, exactly like the one he and Kyuhyun had had a year before.

That is what Donghae remembers thinking as Hyukjae walked out the door of his apartment. How had he let this happen again? He felt a tear slowly fall down his cheek and that is how he knew.

He rushed out of the apartment and got in the first cab he could find. He wasn’t going to lose Hyukjae like he had Kyuhyun.

He told the driver to go to the only place Hyukjae would go in a time like this; the bar where they first met, where they worked together. It was 6 a.m. and the place would be closed by now but Donghae knew that the window in the men’s bathroom remained unlocked.

The driver was being cautious, but Donghae told him to hurry up, that it was urgent. He saw the light turn yellow up ahead, but told the driver to go through it and he did. Right in the middle of the intersection Donghae looked out his window only to see headlight’s coming right at him. That was where he out.

He remembered the crash, remembered the fight. Most importantly, he remembered why it happened.

‘I love him.’ Donghae thought and then he tried to open his eyes and he felt them flicker slightly. He tried again, this time more successfully as the opened halfway and then closed again.

“Donghae, Donghae?” Hyukjae called out and gripped his hand tightly.

“Hyuk-hyukie.” Donghae murmured, his throat was dry, causing his voice to crack.

“Hae, I’m here…I’m not going anywhere.” Hyukjae spoke quickly and kissed his forehead.

“Hyukjae, I-I love you.” Donghae barely managed to utter but Hyukjae understood.

“Oh Hae, I love you too. So much, so freaking much.” Hyukjae said happily and continued kissing Donghae’s face.

“Hyuk, don’t leave.” Donghae begged as his eyelids started to drift shut again. He suddenly felt exhausted, as though telling Hyukjae that he loved him drained all of his energy.

“I’m not going anywhere Hae.” Hyukjae said and kissed his lips quickly.

“Me neither.” Donghae uttered and then closed his eyes as sleep over took him.

Short and utter failure! I never write less than 6 pages and this is less than 4! but all Eunhae is good Eunhae :D too lazy to beta :/ forgive me?