Final

Promise

 

Appa, why are we always here in the hospital?” The child suddenly asks his father who is currently staring at the blank ceiling, praying really hard.

 

Despite the situation, Key gathered all his strength and faced his son. He smiled as if there's nothing to worry about.

 

Jin, umma's health needs to be checked, so by the time we go back home, she'll be okay.”

 

But, appa, it's as if going here had been like a tradition to us for the past 3 years.” The smart kid replied.

 

Key sighed. How can he even explain to a 7 year-old child what's going on with his mother? Will he be able to handle it? Even he himself can't. He fell silent and he can see his son staring at him, waiting for an answer. “Jin, just pray for your mom, okay?” Jin nodded and stopped asking his father a lot of questions.

 

Key and Jin is in Amber's room. Amber fainted again and they know—except for Jin what really is going on with Amber. They just finished dinner and Amber insisted on washing the dishes. Key refused because he doesn't want her to get tired in any way knowing that she's not supposed to. But Amber insisted. Key was gone for a few seconds to get the dishes from the dining area and when he came back where he left her he just saw her lying on the floor unconcious and the rest happened until they ended up in the hospital.

 

Jin already fell asleep since it's already 12 midnight. Key couldn't sleep because he's waiting for her to wake up.

 

Key.” Amber called with her weak voice. “Key.” She called again.

 

Amber?" he rushed to her bed and held her hand.

 

Amber.” He whispered as he looked into her eyes. As Amber just looked in his eyes, she can see that he's worried and scared.

 

I'm fine.” She said hoping that somehow it wil lessen his worry. Key couldn't hold it in anymore, so he burried his face in her hands and silently cried.

 

Key, please, don't cry.” Amber touched his face and wiped the tear that fell from his eyes.

 

I'm scared, Key.” She started crying. “I'm so scared. What if one day...I...”

 

Shh.” He cut her off as he caressed her face. Key is doing his best not to make things feel worse. He couldn't even say that everything's gonna be fine because it haven't been, All he could do is comfort her and be there for her.

“Please, stay by my side.”

It's all that she can ask from him. There's nothing that they can do but believe and pray.

Key laid beside her and held her tight. “I will.” He said as he planted a kiss on her forehead.

 

The words kept ringing on his head as he remembered the first thing that he promised her, to stay by her side. That was 10 years back when they don't have anything to worry about, they're free as if everything is on their side, everything is fine and things go just the way they want it to be.

...

 

She walked down the flight of stairs in her black cocktail dress. She was beautiful, just like a princess or 10 times prettier. He kept his eyes on her taking in her beauty as she walked closer to him to realize that his mouth hung open when she closed it.

 

He offered his hand for her to take.

Let's go?” He asked. Amber nodded and she gave her hand to him and he held her hand gently as he led her to the door.

 

Kibum.” Amber's father spoke, standing up from the living room. “I trust you, son. Stay with her, okay?”

 

I understand Mr. Liu.” Key politely replied and they went out to go to the ball.

 

It was a fun night and everything seems to be fine. They bonded with their friends, enjoying each others company.

 

When it was time to dance, Key held Amber's hand and he led her to the dance floor.

 

Amber was touched because it was her first dance and Key was a real gentleman. He took care of her and he had been very genle in guiding her in every step. Even though she stepped on his foot a few times, he would just chuckle and tell her that it's okay, but it's evident in his expression that it was really painful.

 

I'm so sorry.” Amber kept on repeating those words with a worried look on her face while Key just smiled at her obviously enjoying the moment with her, even though his foot hurts because of Amber's high heels.

 

Both of them were happy and nothing—even Key's foot—can take the laughter and smiles off their faces.

 

After the ball, Key walked her home as he promised. Amber's home is quite far from the venue but they both decided to take a walk to enjoy a time with just the two of them.

 

The street lights made the moment a little romantic, though it was kinda silent. He started speaking making the mood alive. They walked hand in hand, sharing stories, enjoying the view of Seoul and everything seems to be enjoyable. Even their simplest laughter is very contageous to the passers by. But her smile, is the only thing that caught his attention, other than that, nothing else.

 

As they walked down the road to Amber's house, they watched the dancing stars in the night sky.

 

It's pretty, isn't it?” She said refering to the stars.

 

Yes, it's beautiful.” He replied. From her periferal vision, she can see him not looking at the sky. “You're not even looking at it.” she chuckled as she switched her gaze to him.

 

Hm?” He was startled and later on he realized that he was staring at her the whole time.

 

He chuckled as he went back to his senses, feeling a little bit embarassed. They finally reached Amber's place and before they parted, they both expressed how they enjoyed the night and said their goodbyes and then Key headed home. He touched his left chest feeling his fast heart beat. And there's only one person to be blamed why it became like that. Amber.

 

 

 

He fixed his coat and his hair. A wide smile crossed his face as he happily sang a song while preparing his stuff.

 

Key, we gotta go now!” Someone peeked from the door, creasing his forehead.

 

Ne? Jjong hyung?” He was startled when he saw his besfriend who is more eager to leave than him.

 

We'll be late if we won't go.” He nagged.

 

Key pouted and checked his watch 30 minutes more. Yeah it's gonna be a little late, he should be there ahead of her. His smile still remained on his face. It was a very great and big day and nothing could ever make Key down. He's happy!

 

Relax, hyung. It's as if you're the one who's gonna get married.” He patted Jonghyun's shoulder as he finished fixing himslef and they left.

 

His eyes focused on her beautiful eyes as she took each step, smiling back at him. Amber's father smiled to Key as he gave her hand to him. He bowed to her father and took her hand.

 

You're beautiful.” He whispered.

 

They faced the altar with joy. There's no turning back, they're already facing God and besides, who said about turning back? They have no plan to. Their love is 100% sure and nothing could ever keep them apart. For the past 3 years of their relationship, they know that they deserve each other, and that's what is important

 

 

 

 

Key, can you just sit down?” Jonghyun scratched his head feeling annoyed with his bestfriend who kept on pacing back and forth in the hallway. But no matter how Jonghyun stopped him, Key couldn't still be set in only one place.

 

Mr. Kim.” The doctor called.

 

You can now meet your son.” He smiled at Key and went aside. He took a few steps to approach his wife and son.

 

It took quite some time for Key to process what the doctor said, until he heard Amber say, “Key, he got your eyes.” Once again, he felt his knees shaking when he saw her smiling at him. He came beside her and looked at his son. He looks exactly like him. “Isn't he cute?” Amber couldn't take the smile away from her face as she switched glances from Key to their son. He had a soft expression on his face and he couldn't explain the joy that he's feeling especially when Amber held him their son. His eyes remained on their sleeping baby, his fist balled unto his chest and when he yawned they both chuckled at his cuteness.

 

As night came, he laid beside her as he held her in his arms. “Thank you, baby. He's perfect.” He whispered to her ear. Amber gave him a hug and snuggled on his chest. “Thank you too, boo. For staying by my side.” He lifted her face by her chin, so they can look at each other's eyes. They smiled and with that he leaned forward and gave her a chaste kiss.

 

That night, he slept beside her, thanking God for the blessing that they have received.

 

 

 

 

 

He walked down the hallway and saw Jackie leaning on the counter of the nurse station. Jackie is Amber 's sister who works in the hospital where Amber is confined and her husband is Amber's doctor, Dr. Ji.

 

Jackie is evidently worried, probably for her sister. Key was suppose to greet her when Dr. Ji came and talked to her.

 

How is she?” Jackie asked immediately.

 

Key hid behind a wall and listened to their conversation.

 

He didn't saw Dr. Ji's expression, since his back is turned to him. But he can see Jackie starting to cry and he held her in his arms. By that he can already tell.

 

Jackie, I'm sorry to say this but...it could be her last night.” Key just felt himself drop on the floor with his back against the wall and there, he cried.

 

This can't be. I don't want to lose her. I don't want to.” He cried silently.

 

That night, when they checked her room, they found the couple lying on the bed. He held her in his arms as she snuggled on his chest.

 

Should we tell him?” Jackie whispered softly.

 

I don't think we can.” Dr. Ji replied closing the door.

 

Little did they know that Key is still awake and the tears escaped his eyes once again as he held her tight.

 

It's already 2:30 in the morning when Key heard her calling his name.

 

Key.” She said with her weak voice.

 

Yes, baby?” Key didn't know why but he just felt nervous.

 

I...I want to see them.” She weekly requested.

 

Key didn't ask why, but he nodded and immediately called up their friends.

 

Though, Amber didn't hear what Dr. Ji said and know what Key heard from him. She has an instinct and she can feel it. And she wants to meet all the members and if it will be her last night to live, she just wants to atleast say her last words to each one of them. Other than her family, they have been a very big part of her life.

 

Though it is too early in the morning all of them: Onew, Victoria, Jonghyun, Luna, Minho, Krystal, Taemin and Sulli came. Sulli ran to Amber's bed and cried on her shoulders as she hugged the girl.

 

They slowly entered the room and they can tell that Amber is weaker than the last time they saw her. She looked pale and her smile is very weak and her eyes looked like it wants to close immediately.

 

“Hyung...” Sulli wanted to say something to the girl, but she just can't express whatever she wants to say.

 

Amber slowly broke the hug and smiled at the younger lady.

 

Don't cry.” She wiped her tears and smiled at the others.

 

The girls ran to Amber and hugged her tight. They all started crying as they held their friend in their arms.

 

When all of them settled down, they all gathered around Amber. Amber took it as a chance to say everything that she wants to tell them. She can feel that she won't last long and before that happens, she just wants to thank them and say a few words.

 

Uhm...thank you, guys.” She started, startling all of them.

 

I'm really thankful for having all of you as a part of my life. I'm happy that all of you came to see me today. I love all of you. If this would be my last day, then I would go happily because I had a chance to say goodbye to you.”

 

Amber.” It's all what Victoria can say before bursting in tears again.

 

Unnie, stop saying that. Please.” Krystal burried her face in her hands and cried.

 

All of them shed tears for the second time. Key stood in a corner watching everything happen and he stayed silent as he held in his tears.

 

As a final request, Amber wanted to hug them one by one. As each of them hugged her she gave a message to each of her friends, each hug lasted as long as they wanted to. Amber was able to hug everyone except for Key who remained on his corner looking at Amber still keeping his tears from falling.

 

She looked at Key and everyone took it as a sign to leave them alone. Although, they don't want to leave Amber, they had to and left the room with a heavy heart.

 

Boo, won't you say goodbye to me?” Amber said feeling fresh tears leave her eyes again.

 

Key shook his head as he sat beside her. Though it is obvious that he wants to cry, he's still fighting for a smile to be evident on his face.

 

This is not the end.” Amber closed her eyes letting her tears fall. He rested his forehead on hers and he also started crying. “This is not the end.” He repeated.

 

I love you. I love you. I love you, so much.” Key hugged her tight.

 

I..I love you too, Key.” She barely said.

 

I love you.” She said gathering all her strength, just to say her final words to him.

 

She held unto his neck and tried her best to reach his lips and Key caught it with his lips and gave her a slow peck. As they parted, Key noticed that she's already having a hard time to breathe and she started stuttering his name. “You can go now, baby. Don't tire yourself anymore. You'll be in a better place soon.” He said with a heavy heart, but it's the best way of letting her go.

 

T-Thank you, Key.” She tried her best to smile at him for the last time and then she closed her eyes and her grip on his shirt loosened as her hand fell limp on the bed and breathed her last.

 

 

 

 

Amber, it had been thirty years that we have been apart. Thirthy years of recovery, and life that I had to go through without you. This world had been a big dance floor for me, every move, every step leads to the end. There would be times that I'd be stepped on, there would be times that I'd have someone to dance with and there are times that I can't find someone to join me. But here I am, nearly reaching the end. I had been successful in my career, I had raised Jin and now he's a successful lawyer. If only you're still here, so that we could have enjoyed these blessings. I always think of you, Amber. And I miss you, so much.

 

Dad.” Jin called, snapping him out of his thoughts.

 

Yes, son?”

 

You miss her, don't you?” Key smiled as he switched his gaze from the view of Seoul to Amber's picture on his hands.

 

So much.”

 

They fell silent for a while. Key kept on coughing not because of the cold air, but because, he's sick, since he's already old and sickly.

 

Dad, do you want to rest?” Key shook his head as he kept coughing.

 

Are you sure?” The worried son reassured.

 

I wanna go to you're mother.”

 

Though, he was hesitant, Jin pushed his wheelchair to the backyard of their mansion where Amber's body is burried.

 

Leave me for a while.” Key ordered and Jin obeyed.

 

Key tried his best to stand from his wheelchair and sat beside a marble grave stone with her name neatly engraved on it. He touched her grave and smiled.

 

Amber.” He breathed. “I promised to stay by your side, remember?” He laid on the grass and closed his eyes.

 

I'll always will.” He held her picture against his chest and wrestled with his cough and later on Jin came back with his father lying lifeless, beside his mother's grave with a smile evident on his face.

 

And until the end, as he promised, he stayed by her side.

 

THE END

 

~*~*~

 

So, how is it? Kinda messed up? I was too eager to finish this one, so I think it's not good. But please judge. I really need your comments and I'm kinda nervous. Thanks for reading! :)