Story

Charcoal Black

 

Once upon a time, King Joongki and Queen Ara had two princesses named Sulli and Krystal. Sulli, the old sister, was so beautiful that all princes from all over the world would love to marry her. On the other hand, Krystal is always locked in her room, and nobody knows how she really looked like except for her family. One night, an evil spirit came and killed the Queen and King, and the kingdom need a new king and queen to replace them. Hence, Sulli read the letter her parents left for her and Krystal. Later that evening, she decided to go and meet the guy who was arranged for a marriage with one of the princesses.

  “Princess Sulli? Is that you?” a prince called out from afar. Sulli turned back and saw a prince charming standing up, staring at her. “Y-y-y-y-e-e-s-s-s, I am S-s-s-s-u-u-u-l-l-i-i-i-i...” she stuttered. “Nice to know you, princess, I’m Prince Minho from the ‘To the beautiful you’ kingdom. If I’m not mistaken this is the ‘More Charming by the day’ kingdom. “Yes you are right.” Sulli smiled to him and dragged him to the carriage, driving him to the palace.

Upon arriving at the palace, Minho strolled around the corridor and found one small room in the end of it, locked with lots of passwords. “Umm.. Sulli, whose room is this? And why is it so secure?” he asked her in confusion. “Oh it’s just a private storagee....ummm yeahhh... Sooo let’s just eat dinner what do you think?” she dragged him in a rush, worried that he’ll find out about Krystal.

 

  “Please enjoy the dinner, Your Highness.” Amber, Sulli’s personal maid, served the food for both of them. “Please start eating first, Princess,” Minho respectfully bowed and sat down in front of her. “Let’s drop the formalities down, we’re going to marry soon right?” Sulli replied and started eating the food prepared by the palace’s cooks.

  As they were eating, Sulli signaled Victoria to give Krystal’s dinner now when Minho is enjoying the dinner. “Now.” she mouthed those words to Vic. She nodded and hurriedly ran off to Krystal’s room but unfortunately she tripped and created a loud commotion. Shocked, Minho turned back and saw Victoria with a tray of spilled food. “CAN’T YOU WORK PROPERLY?!” Sulli yelled in anger. She was too afraid that he would find out about Krystal. “Is another princess here?” Minho asked, not being able to comprehend the situation.

  "No there isn’t, let’s continue eating.” Sulli rushed over and pulled Minho back to his seat. “But princess, if there is no other princesses, then whose food is this for? Hasn’t the King and Queen died? There must be another princess!” Minho exclaimed and dashed off to the room which had lots of passwords to enter.  “knock knock”  It has been more than 10 times Prince Minho knocked on the door, but there is still no reply.

 

  On the other hand, Krystal heard all of those knocks and knew that it isn’t both Sulli’s or Victoria’s knocks. It looks more of a boy’s knocks. Scared that if she opens it Sulli will give her another punishment, she decided to just stay quiet and ignore the knocks.

***

  “Are you ready Minho? I can’t wait for us to rule this kingdom together!” Sulli exclaimed in delight and hugged Prince Minho. “Sorry, ssul, I got some business to do so I’ll be leaving for awhile. I’ll make sure that I’ll be back before our wedding starts.” Minho stated and rushed to the very secured room he found before.

  “Open the door! I know you are Princess Krystal! I have the rights to choose who I want to marry! I want to see your face Princess!” Minho repeteadly knocked and yelled out to Krystal.

 

“What?! How did he know me?! Oh right stupid Krystal, he is a prince of course he can know this.” Krystal banged her head to the wall a few times before finally making a decision.

  “You’re Princess Krystal?!” Minho awed in shocked as he was stunned seeing how beautiful she is. “Why are you locked here?” he asked since he was still unable to comprehend the situation. “Long story.” Krystal smiled and pulled him to the wedding hall.

  The same time, in the wedding hall, Sulli handed the hunter the letter which stated that the Princess who isn’t married to the prince must be thrown into the forest. Sulli smirked as she thought that Krystal will finally be gone from her life forever. However, as soon as Minsoo left, Krystal and Minho entered the hall while holding hands tightly.

  “I’m afraid of the crowd.. They don’t know me..” Krystal whispered to Minho as they walked through the aisle. “Smile. You’re way more beautiful than your evil stepsister although you’re just wearing a simple white dress.” Minho smiled and announced to everyone, “Dear people of ‘More charming by the day’ kindom, I’m telling all of you that I have chosen to marry Princess Krystal.”

  “WHAT?! HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?!” Sulli yelled.

 

  Sulli started to think a way to escape from the palace before Minsoo, the hunter, could throw her into the forest. However, the guards easily caught her and Minsoo immediately throw her into the dark and creepy woods.

  “Anyone here?” Sulli called out into the forest. “Hello?” “We are here!” 7 different voices squealed and ran to her feet. “Are you the thrown-away princess? We are here to serve you!” they yelled and hugged  her feet. “Aww that’s so sweet of you all. I need to get revenge on Krystal.” Sulli declared and walked to the house prepared by the dwarfs.

***

Meanwhile in the palace..

  “Don’t you think we should bring Sulli back here? I pity her..” Krystal asked Minho as she finished cooking for dinner. “You want to? Let’s go get her then tomorrow.” he stated and  chewed his food.

 

“We’re all ready to go Princess, are we going now?” the chaffeur asked and Krystal nodded, indicating that they will go now. Not long after, they have arrived at the forest. “Sister! Sister where are you? It’s me Krystal, I’m coming to bring you back to the palace!” Krystal yelled out loud.

  “KRYSTAL IS COMING! IT’S THE RIGHT TIME FOR ME TO KILL HER!” Sulli exclaimed in delight as she gathered all her powers to fight with her. “Wish you luck princess!” the dwarfs bid goodbye with her and she ran outside to meet her. “Time for sisters’ fight Krys.” Sulli smirked and threw a giant fireball towards Krystal, but Minho blocked it. “MY PRINCE!” she yelled anxiously as she was shocked to see the dying body of Minho in front of her. “Sister! I came here with a good intention but you made me furious, take this!” Krystal gathered all of her strength and killed Sulli with her ice power.

  “Minho!” Krystal gasped and shook his body gently. “Krys..” he mumbled and smiled as he saw her beautiful face. However, Krystal remembered the book given by the King before his death, that her blood is the only blood from the family that can save other people from death. Immediately, she took out his knife and slashed her wrist, letting the blood drip to his mouth. 

 

“You shouldn’t have save me and let me died instead. Now I bring back to you your life..” Krystal whispered before closing her eyes in front of the Prince. “KRYSTAL!  NO!” he panicked and carried her to the carriage, dashing back to the palace in full speed. Unfortunately, it was too late and Princess Krystal went up to heaven with her parents.

***

  Still unable to accept Krystal’s death, Minho went back to the forest the next day, burying Sulli and wrote on the stone “CHARCOAL BLACK.”

  “Why did you write Charcoal Black there?” Hoya, one of the dwarfs, asked Minho curiously. “Sulli isn’t actually a princess, she is a witch. She did plastic operation to make her skin white and look beautiful, but her skin colour is actually black. She was so jealous of Princess Krystal and tried everything to get rid of her. Well now, it’s time to bid goodbye to her. She received her Karma.” Minho smiled and patted his head. “Let’s go back to the palace together!” he carried the 7 dwarfs and head back home.

-The End-