Chapter 1

I Don’t Want to Run Away (but I can’t take it)

 

Go Nam-Soon POV

            ‘Truth is, I’m not a very strong person. When people look at me, they see a boy standing tall and proud, a vigilante for the weak, never bowing down to bullies. My blank stare in face of their insults is mistaken as defiance, when in reality, I’m running away. When their fists, inexperience yet containing so much rage, pummel my body, I’m numb, and I feel nothing. I drift off, into a special place, in the furthest recesses of my mind. This place where I still have a best friend, whose smile would cause me to smile, and light up my world. Whose laugh would set off my laugh, and our voices would mingle in a perfect harmony.

            I dream of this time, so far away as to be but a distant fantasy. I dream of this time, before the storm clouds came, and the thunder raindrops washed everything away, leaving behind a bitter taste yet no fresh scent of a new start.’

            Chills rake through my arms and legs. Even with the covers pulled up securely to my chin, the cold is unrelenting.

            The sudden sound of my ringtone, accompanied with a sharp pain on my hipbone startled me awake. I reach for my cell phone, delicately trying to avoid contact with a fresh bruise on my left hip.

            “Yes?”

            “Nam-soon, I have an errand for you.”

----------------------------------------

            The bustle of the city was white noise, as I stood in front of the famous elite lesson school. I sat awhile, gazing on tall city buildings, and the bright lights, and the sparse layer of stars.

            A sense of peace washed over me, as I watched time pass by. Watching as the world kept turning, and time kept lingering on, the moon still shining up above. The pedestrians around me, rushing to and from, hurrying, always with somewhere to go, some goal in mind.

            ‘They’re not like me,’ I realized, ‘I’m lost.’

            I sat there, and watched as the people simply moved around me, when I’m obstructing their way.

            ‘I have nothing to do with them. They will continue their lives no matter what happens in mines.”

            And for some reason, that was reassuring. That no matter how many mistakes I make, how many times I ruin things, how many times I screw up, these people will be just fine. They’ll keep on living through it all.

            ‘Like a tadpole in a pond, the worst I can do is to cause a splash.’

            With a smile, I got up from my bike (motorcycle), and retrieved the package in the back. The artfully made fruit cake, intact still, causes a pain in my stomach, and I’m suddenly aware that I hadn’t eaten since breakfast.

            I walked in, after a brief hesitation at the door, remembering that this place taught the elite, only students from the top high schools. Not for the first time, I was relieved that I had changed out of my school uniform once I had gotten home. After all, Seungri High is probably a joke to all of them.

            The teacher was still talking when I walked in.

----------------------------------------

Kang Se-Chan POV

‘Oh, my sweet, smart pupils. My money making little pupils. I’m going to miss you guys…’

Okay… everything you’ve learned so far, make sure to remember it for next year. Today is going to be my last lesson with you guys for a while.”

The protests and groans came right on cue. Internally, I smirked, pleased with the knowledge that the students needed me here. After all, who else was a qualified, as distinguished or as accomplished as me, to teach these kids?

“Do you really have to go?”

“When are you coming back?”

I gave a small chuckle. “You guys don’t have to worry about that, just concentrate on your studies alright?”

Somehow, I had grown attached to these kids and somewhere deep, yes very deep, in my heart, I might, just might, want to see them succeed. And not just because it would be good for business.

 “Teacher? What about our final exams?” a student questioned.

The good will started to drain from my heart.

‘Of course, that’s really all these students care about. They want to beat the exams, and do well for themselves.’

Outwardly, I was unchanged, and still smiling.

“As for the final exams, we’ll use this instead.”

I picked up the notebook to show the class. The gasps of appreciation and whispers of “the Golden Book” traveled through the room.

‘Of course, still as self-centered and selfish as ever. How could I have forgotten?”

            “Yes, this is the exam prep book known as the golden book. With this, I have confidence that you will all do well.”

            “You’re giving that to us?” a girl exclaimed.

            “Of course.”

            Squeals traveled through the room, I faintly heard a declaration of “Success!”
            “Who here ordered an errand service?” a boy walked in, seeming no older than the students in the room. He eyes opened wide, startled by all the faces turned towards him at his entrance. A faint blush spread along his cheeks, which he tried to counteract with the tiniest pout of his lips.

            ‘How cute.’ I thought. ‘Woah, that didn’t come out right. He’s probably still in school for heaven’s sake.’

            “I did.” a pretty girl in the back called out giving him a wink. The boy inched through the rows of desks, giving me a great view of his backside.

            ‘Oh my god. Man, why am I even going there? I’m a teacher, and that’s just so not right… But he’s so pretty, looks like a model. So lean, a bit skinny, but I bet that under all those clothes are tight muscles.”

            The boy set the cake down in front of the girl, seemingly unaware that the said girl was unashamedly flirting with him, batting her eyelashes, brushing his hand as she took the cake from his grasp.

            “Wait,” my voice stopping him as he turned to leave. “Who are you?”

            “A student,” he said his voice impatient, and slightly mocking.

            “Ah, a student?” I questioned, voice understanding and concerned, playing the part of a teacher worried about why a kid would be working as an errand boy.

            He turned his face away, ignoring my question.

            “A high school student?”

            “Yes.” He looked up just a moment before turning away to receive the money for the cake.

            ‘A high school student is right. Should he really be working a job like this so late night? He’s probably not even legal yet.’

            “Heh, then as a special gift, give me one of those,” taking one of his golden notebooks from a student, “take this with you and solve them.”

            The protests from the students were promptly ignored as I held it out, surprised when the boy looked up at me, with the smallest hint of contempt in his eyes. There was a fire in those eyes, a hint of determination and inner strength, more than I could say for some of the students in this class. I was curious enough as to what exactly this boy could accomplish.

            “I don’t need it.” his voice level filled with conviction and matter of fact. Yet somewhere, inside his mask of bravado, there seemed to be the faintest hint of regret, of a sadness that seemed so obvious, it was quite curious that I hadn’t seen it before. Then suddenly, with a flicker, the mask was back in place.

            He bowed to the girl whose cake he had sent, and after a moment’s hesitation, he bowed to me as well. Then, promptly exited the room.

            ‘So he thinks he’s that good does he. Such childish ignorance.’

            “So class, let’s have a party.”

----------------------------------------

            I walked out of the classroom, the kids having forgotten about me with the mention of a party. The cake, which had been brought for a special birthday boy in the class, was being shared amongst the students. They were deep in conversation amongst each other, no doubt sharing jokes or gossip. I got a few goodbyes as I exited the room, yet couldn’t help but harbor a feeling resentment, stemming from the embarrassment from the assumption that the cake has been purchased for me.

            ‘So this is what a last day feels like hm.’ I contemplated. ‘I don’t like it.”

----------------------------------------

Go Nam-Soon POV

            “Who here ordered an errand service?” I walked in, surprised as the room full of students turned to face me at the disruption. I was unused to any attention, much less the attention of a whole room.

            “I did.”

I walked over, determined to hurry up and get out of the room, slightly uncomfortable with stares.

            “Wait, who are you?” the teacher directed at me.

            ‘Who am I?’

“A student,” my voice slightly mocking, contemptful that the teacher would have the gall to ask such a personal question, no matter how unintentional it might be.

            “A high school student?”

            “Yes.” I could feel his eyes judging me, no doubt categorizing me as some poor high school kid forced to work to support himself.

            ‘But isn’t that who I am?’ a voice questioned.

            “Then take this as a special gift, take this with you and solve them.”

            ‘A special gift’ or in other words, charity.

            “I don’t need it.” I looked into his eyes, conveying the message that I didn’t need help, of any sort, or any kind, not from him, or from anyone else.

            ‘No doubt, he thinks that I’m all sorts of stupid, probably took it as some sort of self-responsibility to try and get me to learn something.”

Nothing left to do, so I bowed, and exited the room, not before recognizing Song Ha-Gyung from my classes at school.

----------------------------------------

“Stop sending me on errands where I have to wait in line,” I spoke into my cell, thinking back to the cake shop filled with girls and moms, voices to loud, with too many people in too small of a space.

“Staying up all night isn’t the problem, but I have to go to school tomorrow.”

The reasoning sounded weak even in my ears. No doubt the boss already knows that I’m no good in school, who else would take a part time job as an errand boy instead of focusing on his studies.

“Yes… yes… bye.”

“You know who I am don’t you,” said Song Ha-Gyung.

“Oh, you sure are traveling far to go to school.” The confusion and surprise was masked in my voice. After all, Ha-Gyung was one of the smartest in our grade, and even perhaps in the entire school. However, no one from Seungri High would ever be accepted into a private lesson school such as this one. ‘Is it really necessary, for you to sneak your way into such a class? All for what? Do you really feel the need to do even more learning, or is it perhaps the chance to learn with such elite students.’ This slightest pang of sorrow, as I realized that she was trying to change a part of herself, something that could never be changed.

‘Just like me.’

‘Except she only wants to change schools, and what do you want to change? Don’t kid yourself, she’s nothing like you.’

“Do you really do anything and everything?” she remarked, reading the claim on my bike.

Humiliation caused me to look away. ‘Anything and everything, hmm? Just like a little puppy, fetching for his master.’

“Almost.”

“How much?” she questioned.

“What is?”

“You didn’t … see me here today. If I asked for that, how much would I have to give you?” she stated matter-of-factly.

‘You’re still going to keep up with this charade, just to study with these students?’ I didn’t understand; I couldn’t possibly hope to comprehend her actions.

‘But who are you to judge? After all, you’ve already given up on going to college haven’t you?’

I banish the negative thoughts from my head. I take one more look at Ha-Gyung, seeing an already brilliant girl, trying too hard, for whatever reason.  I get on my bike, and start the engine

‘I can’t pretend to understand your reasons, but at least I can keep your secret.’

I drive off.

----------------------------------------

Go Nam-Soon POV

The spoon in my hand waves back and forth as I wait impatiently for the rice to finish.

’Come on, I’m hungry. I really need to eat…’

I can’t help but crack a little smile at how melodramatic I’m being, making such a fuss. Only too aware of the passing time, I lay down the bowl and the spoon and check the watch on my wrist.

‘Dang, it’s already so late.’ I purse my lips as I resigned to skipping breakfast, walking away from the rice cooker, trying to ignore the faint rumble in my stomach.

With no hesitation, my legs lead me to the money tin on top of a wooden stand nearby, already an established part of my everyday routine. Yet as I open the tin, I have a moment of indecision. Three 1000 won notes in one hand and one 5000 won note in the other.

‘I don’t know, I don’t know why I’m doing this at all.’

‘Oh, well don’t starting standing up for yourself now. You’re no more than a coward.’

I put the 1000 won notes back in the tin, and head out, stuffing the 5000 won into my pocket.

----------------------------------------

The rice cooker beeps not a minute later. Steam is released into the room, signaling that rice is ready, yet no one is there. Its contents and the plastic containers of food left unopened on the table, proof of another meal missed for Go Nam-Soon.

----------------------------------------

Lee Gang-Joo POV

            ‘SO heavy!’ I pant as I squeeze my way through the bus, my backpack slung across one shoulder, trying not to hit the people on my left and right. One step in front of the other, and I finally get to the back of the bus where there’s just slightly more breathing space.

‘Whaaaa. So cute!’ Second seat to the end of the bus sat a feminine looking boy, currently asleep. ‘He’s even wearing the Seungri High School uniform. Hm, I should take the chance to introduce myself. Okay, pretty boy, time to wake up.”

I let my bag drop on his lap.

The movement nudges him awake. He looks a bit lost a first, cocking his head, looking up to find who had disturbed him from his sleep. ‘Like a puppy waking up from a long nap.’ I think with a giggle.

He finally seems to wake up as he sees me. I take out my lollipop and give him a smile. He suddenly moves his attention over my shoulder, seeming distracted. I see a trio of mean looking bullies pushing towards him, forcing the other passengers out of their way. I guess Nam-Soon spotted them too, though I’m sure that he’s not afraid.

But the next thing I know, my backpacks thrown back in my arms, and he gets up and pushes past the bullies without saying a word. The bullies come to the back of the bus and they shove me out of the way! They force two other students out of their seats as well! Who do they think they are?!?!

            I make my way back to the boy from before, only to find him staring out the window with a perfectly content expression on his face.

            “Fool.” I say to his face. “Is it that you’re kind or stupid?” ‘After all, how can you let someone acting so rude and uncouth simply get away with it?’

            He keeps his attention focused out the window.

            “What’s so scary about a jerk like that?” He only gives a little smile, as if laughing at a private joke that only he could understand.

            “Hm, be that way.” And it’s silent for the rest of the bus ride.

----------------------------------------

Nam-Soon POV

            I’m startled as a bag falls into my lap, jerking me from my sleep. The rushed morning left me feeling drained. I look around, trying to see if there were any problems. My eyes open a little wider as I see a girl looking at me. She takes out her lollipop and gives me a smile.

            It takes me a while, trying to process the fact that any girl could be so straight forward and open with her actions. Not to mention I was still trying to decide whether I should be upset at my interrupted nap or not. Though her actions admittedly did make me feel a little happier, so I let the nap thing slide.

            However, my good mood was quickly spoiled as I spotted Oh Jung-Ho and his friends get on the bus and were making their way towards me.

            I passed the bag back to the girl, perhaps a little too harshly, as I see her flinch before she catches it.

            ‘What, you gonna run again?  A coward is running, running, always running.’   The voice taunted in my head. I tried to block out the words as I pushed pass them, before they make it to the back of the bus. I move to the side and look out the window, trying to stay calm.

           

            I can hear as the three students push their way to the back of the bus; I can hear as that lollipop girl is shoved out of their way, nearly taking a face plant.

I take deep breaths, trying to keep a serene mind. ‘Why not just fight? Why go through all this? That girl thinks that you’re a coward too now. You want  to prove her wrong?’ the voice laughs.

            “Fool.” states the girl, having found her way back here for some reason.

            ‘You’re right, I am I fool.’ I keep my gaze out the window.

“Is it that you’re kind or stupid?” she asks again.

I have no response to that.

“What’s so scary about a jerk like that?”

I nod my head, thinking, ‘perhaps she’s right. Maybe I have nothing to fear here...’

‘Oh, but yes you do. You have everything to fear, and everything to lose…’

We don’t speak for the remainder of the bus ride.