Behind the Pages

Behind the Pages

 

He’s the most brilliant writer of this time.

His romantic novels have hit the best-seller list a countless number of times, adding more and more fame to his name. Each word he spews out in his books has the ladies swooning, wondering how he could understand them so well. Very few males actually admit to liking his works, many of them ashamed at enjoying a book that is clearly meant for the ladies. But the men who aren’t so prideful and egotistic find that they can really relate to the characters in his books, relishing in the quirks and kinks of the hero and acknowledging that that is exactly how men are. It’s as if he were born with some supernatural power that gives him the ability to discern the root and core of human nature, how and why we behave the way that we do.

But he isn’t some psychology nut who takes behavioral theories into his writing. Nor does he use scientific reasoning or research for his novels. Every time he’s asked the question, “Where do these stories come from,” he answers simply, “From my heart.”

Even the people who haven’t read his books know his name. And it was a clear fact that his name, Yong Junhyung, wouldn’t be easily forgotten.

Baek Suhan lowered his latest novel, Paper Stains, and let out a small sigh. Yet another best-seller…she thought to herself, closing the book entirely and placing it inside her bag. She sat back in her chair, looking at nothing in particular and mulling the story she had just finished reading around in her head. It didn’t bother her that she probably looked a bit strange, sitting in the middle of her university’s library just staring and thinking. It wasn’t like she wasn’t used to that label anyway.

She couldn’t stop herself from thinking about the book though. As with all his previous novels, she was left with a tinge of dissatisfaction. She loved his writing though. While reading, she could feel him choosing each and every word with care and caution. His plots were always very gripping and original. But his endings…his endings just weren’t complete. Compared to the rest of the novel, his endings were actually a bit bland…as if he only half-heartedly wrote it. And because of that, Suhan couldn’t easily brush away the hint of curiosity within her toward him. Why would someone so brilliant with his words end all of his masterpieces with something so ordinary?

Suhan let out a deep sigh. Since the time she first stumbled on his books, she has wanted to ask him that question. But he rarely shows himself to the public…hasn’t held one book signing ever. His only interviews are written ones that are always short and full of surface level questions. Suhan finds it quite funny how his closed-off personality plays a role in his popularity. The Mystery Author everyone calls him, although Suhan couldn’t deny that it wasn’t true.

After what felt like hours, Suhan got up from her chair, hung her bag onto one shoulder, and exited the library.

 

---------------------------------------------------------


From down the hall, Suhan could hear muffled music meet her ears and she knew the source of it immediately. She stood outside her dorm where the heavy rock music drummed loudly against the door, sending pulse waves through her body. She took a deep breath before opening the door, preparing herself for what was to come. She could’ve sworn her eardrums popped the moment the door was open and she was inside her room. Standing outside the room was definitely heaven compared to being inside where the walls seemed to vibrate in response to the sound waves her roommate’s stereo gave off. Suhan walked over to her side of the room, acting as if the loud, obnoxious music didn’t bother her. Her roommate, Han Ahreum, who was leisurely stretched out on her bed and skimming through a fashion magazine, spotted her from the corner of her eye. She got up almost immediately and to Suhan’s relief, lowered the music a considerable amount.

“Sorry, Suhan.” Ahreum said with an apologetic look.

Suhan shook her head though. “Don’t worry about it.” She placed her bag down on her bed and took out Paper Stains. Ahreum glanced at the book cover, recognizing the author as Suhan carried it over to her small bookcase.

“Another one of his books? You must be one of his biggest fans.” Ahreum commented.

Suhan placed his book on the shelf with the rest of his novels before saying, “I’m not a fan of him…just of his writing.”

“Well, I’m a fan of him. He’s already in his late thirties yet he’s still so handsome.” Ahreum said with a dreamy look on her face. Suhan didn’t reply, sitting down at her desk and opening her laptop.

“Suhan-ah, I’m heading out to a party in a little bit. You wanna come?” Ahreum asked, getting up from her bed and walking over to her closet to choose an outfit.

“No, I have a lot of homework to do and a lot of reading to catch up on.” Suhan answered, hooking her USB to her laptop to finish the essay she had started in class earlier.

“Suit yourself.”

Two hours later, Ahreum still hadn’t returned. Suhan stretched in her seat, yawning a bit as she did so. Deciding to take a break from all the reading she’s been doing, she pushed her literature book aside and placed her laptop in front of her. She double clicked on her web browser and the home page opened up to her favorite place in the whole wide world. It was a website for the online writing community, a place for budding writers to post their stories and avid readers to discuss the latest literature releases.

Suhan noticed a chat session labelled ‘Paper Stains’ and entered it, curious as to what other readers thought of the book. She saw that the chat room was filled with people and excitedly read the already on-going chat to see if anyone’s opinion of the book was similar to hers. But only a few lines in and Suhan found herself greatly disappointed. Barely anyone was talking about the actual book. The majority of the users in the chat room only cared about the author and how “good-looking” he was. They were now ranting about how the publisher should paste his picture on the back of his books. Suhan rolled her eyes, fed up with how readers these days no longer cared about the content that they were actually reading.

She readied herself to enter the conversation, more than willing to teach these kids how to appreciate writing.

‘What did you guys think about the ending?’ she started off, breaking into their previous conversation about his picture.

A second later, the replies came.

‘It was great! I loved the ending! I didn’t want Mina to die and she didn’t! Yay!’

‘Yeah, I love how Yong Junhyung-shi always ends his books on a happy note! ^^’

‘He must be a very happy person too, since he only writes happy endings. Wah~~ he’s so cool!’


Suhan sighed, shaking her head at the screen.

‘I personally think Mina should’ve died.’ She wrote back.

At her words, an influx of comments were made toward her, many of them defending Mr. Yong’s decision to have Mina live at the end. Some of the comments were downright rude though, where users called her names and a ‘fake fan’ for not loving every part of the book. Suhan scoffed at the screen. After all the name calling, she lost the urge to speak her mind about the ending and exited the chat room. She was just about to log off when a ‘New Message’ alert popped up on her screen.

Curious, she clicked it.

 

dragon1219 says:

I saw what you wrote about ‘Paper Stains.’ Why do you think Mina should’ve died? Do you not like happy endings?


Suhan’s eyes narrowed at the username. She’s never seen it before…at least, no where that she’s been on the website. But having random people contact you was natural on a site like this so she simply wrote a message back.
 

It’s not that I don’t like happy endings. I just believe that the ending should fit well with the rest of the story. From early on, you could already tell that Mina was fated to a nasty end. I was disappointed when that end didn’t come. Don’t get me wrong… I love Mr. Yong’s writing. But his endings just don’t cut it for me.


She waited to see if he, or she, would reply back. A few minutes later, a new message popped up.
 

dragon1219 says:

I understand your point. How about we meet to discuss his book further? I’d like to speak to you face to face and hear what you have to say about it.


This stranger wants to meet her? All because of one little thing she said about a book? She couldn’t believe it.
 

I’m sorry but I don’t meet up with people that easily. I don’t know you so it would be awkward if we met face to face. We can easily speak to each other online about the book.


It was true. Suhan just really wasn’t a social girl. That’s why she loved writing so much…that was the only way she could express her feelings and emotions without having to say them out loud.

A few minutes later, a reply came that literally caused her to stop breathing for a few seconds.

 

dragon1219 says:

Meet me at the Kaldi Coffee House in Hongdae at 6PM tomorrow night. I promise you won’t regret it.


- Yong Junhyung


She read the name at the end of the message over and over again. Was this some sort of joke? To get back at her for not enjoying the ending? Were the people at this site so cruel and narrow-minded that one little negative remark sparks a need to get even? Truth be told, her heart did skip a beat when she saw the name. But the more she thought about it, the sillier it seemed. Why would Yong Junhyung, a best-selling author, be a member at an online writing community site? It didn’t make sense to Suhan so she was sure this was just a joke.

Regardless, she knew she had to meet this stranger to settle the score. She didn’t like being made into a joke so it was only right to give this prankster a piece of her mind.

 

---------------------------------------------------------


At 6PM sharp, the bell that hung over Kaldi Coffee House’s door rang noisily, signalling that another customer had entered the café. Suhan looked around, not quite sure where to go next. Dragon1219 never said how she’d be able to find him. But surprisingly enough, the café was completely emptied of customers except for one person, who sat with his back to her. Guessing that this was the person she was supposed to meet, she made her way toward him.

Suhan slumped into the chair opposite him, clearly not enjoying the joke so far, and was surprised to see that the guest had sunglasses on…inside a café…at 6 at night. She raised her eyebrow at him. One of the café workers set down a cup of coffee in front of her. The stranger across from her picked up his own cup and took a sip from it.

“Alright. Let’s just cut to the chase, shall we? Look, I understand that you have your own opinions, but I’m also free to say whatever I want to say too. So this little joke that you’re pulling right now…it’s not funny. No one appreciates being made fun of so you should learn not to do it so often.” Suhan said, looking directly at the guy.

She saw his lips curve upward into a smile as he continued to stare at her through his sunglasses. Her words surprised even herself. She wasn’t usually this outspoken, not even with Ahreum. But for some reason, this person made her feel comfortable and at ease. And that was strange for Suhan. She shifted a little in her seat.

“So…if you have something to say to me, then say it so I can go. I have homework I still need to finish.” Suhan said, her confidence in this whole thing being a joke growing thinner by the second.

The guy placed his cup back down on the table before pulling off his sunglasses. Suhan let out a loud gasp, covering in the process to muffle the noise. It wasn’t a joke…it really was him. Yong Junhyung, best-selling author, was really sitting across from her this very moment. So this is how it feels like to be star-struck…she thought. He smiled at her again and she quickly averted her eyes elsewhere.

She bowed her head to him. “I’m so sorry, sir! I didn’t know…didn’t think…that you…” she stuttered over her words, unsure of what to say.

“It’s okay. I wouldn’t have believed it either if I were you.”

His voice sounded just like how she had imagined it, low and very masculine. Since he’s never done a video interview before, no one knew how his voice sounded like except the people closest to him. Suhan chanced a glance up at him and when she saw that he was still staring at her, she quickly looked away again.

“Since you seem to be busy with schoolwork, why don’t we just ‘cut to the chase’ then? You don’t like my book?” Junhyung said, leaning forward a bit. Suhan’s head jerked up to look at him and she waved her hands in front of her in defense.

“No! I never said that! I told you I really love your writing!” she said earnestly.

“But you don’t like the ending to Paper Stains. If you don’t like the ending to that one, then I’m guessing that you also don’t like the ending to my previous books as well.” He said, leaning back into his chair.

Suhan lowered her hands and sighed, shaking her head a little. She still couldn’t believe that she was sitting here with Yong Junhyung. Was this a dream? She pinched her leg. Nope, not a dream…she thought. She looked back up at him and saw him staring at her expectantly. How was she supposed to explain why she didn’t like the ending when he’s sitting right in front of her?! He was her idol…the writer she looked up to the most. She closed her eyes and shook her head again. But this…this is a once in a lifetime opportunity…she reasoned. Just calm down and talk…ask him all the things you’ve wanted to ask him…she took a deep breath and looked up at him.

“No, I don’t really like your endings. They seem fake and somewhat forced. Compared to the rest of your book, your endings are really anti-climatic.” She said in the most confident voice she could muster. A small smirk formed on his face.

“Really? You think so?” he said with his eyebrows raised.

“Yes, I do. You’re amazing at setting up the story in the beginning, your intricate details in the middle of the story while working up the plot is astounding. You build all of that up and then…the ending goes completely flat. It really makes me wonder why you choose to end your novels that way. You’re obviously an outstanding writer. The emotions and personalities you give your characters are so real, like you’re completely in tune with them. But once the ending comes, you lose that connection and…it just ends…just like that.” Suhan said, searching his face for a hint at how he felt from hearing all this. But he simply smiled, picking up his cup and taking another drink from it.

“Sir, if you don’t mind me asking, why do you end your books that way? It feels as if you know you’re ending it badly but you go ahead and do it anyway.” Suhan asked cautiously. Junhyung was silent as he slowly drank from his cup and she waited patiently for him to answer.

“I read some of your work on that site. You’re pretty good.” He said, lowering his cup. Suhan felt a blush rise to her cheeks at his compliment.

“Do you believe in happy endings, Suhan-shi?” Junhyung asked, staring straight at her. She wondered how he knew her name but remembered that she had posted a lot of personal things about her on the site. That’s probably how he knew to meet her here, since she didn’t live too far away from Hongdae. She made a mental note to delete some of the personal information she had posted.

“Of course I do.” She answered.

“Then is it so wrong for me to want a happy ending for my novels?” he asked.

She gave it a bit of thought before saying, “If you set up a plot that points toward a happy ending, then I’d be okay with it. But you don’t. All your novels go completely in the opposite direction.”

“What about my characters then? Don’t you want to see them happy in the end?” he questioned further.

“A novel isn’t about remaining true to the characters…it’s about being true to the story. You breathe life into your characters when you write them, which I completely admire. But it’s the story that should be pulling you forward. The best endings aren’t always the happiest ones.” Suhan said confidently.

Junhyung remained silent as he stared past Suhan at nothing in particular, his eyes glazing over from the rush of memories now replaying in his mind.

He smiled a small smile before saying, “I said those exact words nearly 16 years ago.”

Suhan was still and quiet, hardly even daring to breathe as she waited for him to continue. Yong Junhyung didn’t make known a lot of his past so most of it was a mystery to the public. There have been many wild rumors about his past but none of the rumors were ever confirmed. The media finally gave up when they came up empty handed every time they tried to dig out more information on him. But after making the best-sellers list so many times, everyone naturally forgot about his unspoken past.

“Ryu Gaeul. That was her name. I started writing my first book back in college and I let her read the rough draft of it when I finished.” Junhyung’s eyes were lost in thought as he remembered. “She told me how she didn’t like the ending because it wasn’t a happy one…the main character died at the end. So I told her…that the best endings aren’t always the happiest ones.

He let out a forced chuckle. “She said that she still preferred happy endings. And she made me promise to write at least a couple of books that had happy endings. That was one of the last things she said to me…” Suhan saw his eyes begin to water and she could already guess what had happened next.

“I’m sorry, Junhyung-shi.” She said in a small voice.

Junhyung shook his head, blinking away his tears. “No, it’s my fault for getting too emotional.” He forced a smile onto his face. “Our story didn’t get a happy ending…that’s why I make sure every story after ours does.”

Suhan nodded her head a little in understanding as a moment of silence passed between them.

“Do you know why I became a novelist?” he nearly whispered.

“Because through stories, you can live forever. Through stories, you can go on adventures and choose your own fate. The stories can go on forever and never have to end.” He answered. From his response, Suhan understood…she understood completely. And she couldn’t stop the look of pity she was now giving him.

“You’re trying to keep her alive through your stories.” She stated. Junhyung looked up at her curiously.

“You’re so in tune with your characters because…you are your characters…and your characters are you.” She paused and he remained silent. She wasn’t sure if what she wanted to say next was the best thing to say since she hardly knew him…but it seemed like he needed to hear it.

“Sir, your stories can’t change the past. You can’t keep her alive through them. Don’t you want to give her the ending she deserves…the very best ending?” Suhan said cautiously.

Something within him snapped a little as he was reminded of all the therapy sessions he went through following Gaeul’s death.

“She deserves to be alive! And she can be…through my stories. In my stories, I can control her fate…I can make her live forever with me.” Junhyung said harshly, staring at Suhan with hardened eyes. She leaned back a little in her seat, a little frightened by the way he had snapped at her and the words that he had said.

“Who was she to you while she was living, sir? It seems to me like—”

“She was everything to me! That’s why I give her all the happy endings she deserves! That’s why…I can’t let her go. I won’t let her go.” His voice trailed off a bit.

“But she’s already gone.”

Another silence filled the air around them. With his elbows propped up on the table, Junhyung leaned his forehead against his hands, shielding his eyes from Suhan. Suhan took in the sight before her and felt not only pity for the man in front of her but also an urge to help him out of this state.

“You’ve lived like this for so many years now, Junhyung-shi. If she really meant that much to you, you’d give her the ending that her story...that your story, deserves. An ending that rings true...an ending that even through its pain and sorrow still shines with true love at its core. It’s not right to hold on to her and remember her through your stories…it’s like forgetting the memory of her in real life completely. And if I were Gaeul-shi, I wouldn't want to see your life's story ending so pathetically like this.”

Junhyung didn’t look up or make any sound. Suhan rose from her seat and gave him one last look.

“Yours isn’t a happy ending…if this is how you choose to remember her.”

With that, she left him there, sitting alone in the empty café.

 

---------------------------------------------------------


10 months later

“Yah, Suhan-ah! It’s your favorite author making his first public appearance!” Ahreum exclaimed, running into their dorm. Without waiting for Suhan to reply or respond, she grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the room, pulling her to the lobby where the television was.

Ahreum stopped dragging her when they were a couple feet away from the television, earning some grunts from the people they were now blocking. Suhan’s eyes travelled to the TV screen. Sure enough, there sat Junhyung in an all-too-fake set with an interviewer sitting next to him.

“There’s been rumors that this book is different from your previous ones. Is that true?” the interviewer asked. Junhyung smiled a little and nodded, earning some sighs from many of the girls in the room, including Ahreum.

“It is a bit different from my novels in the past. But I hope my readers will find the story to be just as enjoyable as the ones before it. Within Reach is true to its story, from the very first word to the very last word.” Junhyung said to the interviewer. Although this was his first appearance, he seemed quite comfortable in front of the camera.

“We also heard that this book was inspired by something that happened in your past? Would you mind elaborating?” The interviewer asked. Junhyung went silent for a few moments before he looked up at the interviewer and smiled.

“All of my books have been inspired by something in my past. That’s a writer’s greatest influence. But this one in particular does hold something very dear to me…or should I say someone.” Junhyung answered.

“A person? Who might that be?”

“A person I once loved that deserves the story only I can give.” Junhyung said simply.

The interviewer saw how he didn’t want to go into much detail so she moved on to the next question.

“What are you hopes for this book?” she asked instead.

“My only hope is that my readers will understand a bit more about me as a person through this book.” He answered.

“Thank you for taking the time to come out and have this interview with us. Are there any last words you’d like to say to all the people watching this?” The interviewer asked. Suhan watched closely to see what he would say.

Junhyung turned to the camera and for a second, it seemed as if he were looking straight at her. She took a tiny step back, intimidated by the intense look he was now giving the screen. But soon, his face broke out into a smile.

“To all the readers who have followed my works up until now, thank you. I will work my hardest to continue to produce stories that you all will enjoy reading for years to come.” He paused and Suhan took a slight intake of breath. “And to the person who pushed me back into reality…you know who you are…thank you. If you’re willing, I’d like to meet with you again to show you my gratitude. The same place at the same time today. I’ll wait for you.”

The show turned to a commercial. The chatter and rustle in the lobby resumed. Only Suhan was left staring at the television screen. When she didn’t move, Ahreum nudged her.

“Yah. What’s wrong?” She said. Suhan shook her head.

“Nothing.” She said before heading back to their room.

 

---------------------------------------------------------


Junhyung waited patiently in the empty café, watching the clock on the wall opposite him. The long hand hit the twelve, signalling that it was now 6PM. He let out a small sigh, turning his head to look outside the window of the café. Just then, the door chimed open. Junhyung smiled, turning back to his cup of coffee and taking a drink from it.

“No sunglasses today, Junhyung-shi?” Suhan said, taking the seat across from him.

She smiled at him. Seeing him now, he did look a lot better than before…a lot healthier and more alive. And that fact relieved her. He pushed toward her something on the table that she hadn’t noticed before. Suhan looked down and saw a copy of Within Reach in front her. Her smile widened.

“As an expression of my gratitude. I even signed it.” He said with a grin.

Suhan pulled the book toward her and opened the cover. He wasn’t lying, his signature graced the inside cover of the book like it was always meant to be there. She closed it and looked back up at him.

“But I didn’t do anything…” she started.

“In all the years that I’ve written books, no one has ever said anything against them. You were the first. That’s why I had to meet you…to see what you had to say. And I’m grateful that I did.” He said. He paused for a second before continuing. “You remind me a lot of myself when I was young. You may even be a tad bit better than I was.”

Suhan took the book in her hand and rose from her seat.

“Of course I am. One day, my name will be right up there with yours, battling for the top spot on the best-seller’s list.” She said with a small smirk. She was about to walk off when he stopped her.

“One more thing. Now that I’m making public appearances, I’d appreciate it if you’d keep the fact that I browse online writing communities to sneak a peek at what people think of my books on the down-low.” He said. Suhan laughed before nodding.

Before exiting the café, she took one last look at him. Junhyung had picked up his cup of coffee and was drinking from it again as he stared out the window. She smiled and quietly left the café, the bell chiming loudly at her exit. Outside, she looked down at the book he had given her, running her fingers along the title. She opened the cover to see his signature again, then she flipped to the inside back cover. She was surprised to see that there was something written there, in the same messy scrawl as his signature.

'The best endings aren’t always the happiest ones.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who have read my past works, this one-shot tells a lot about the person I am and how I write, huh? Haha. It's just a personal belief that I have about endings to everything really...k-dramas, fanfics, novels, movies, tv shows, etc. And the lyrics to "Fiction" just happened to match that belief so I went with it. Hope you all liked it! :)