Just Being Me

 

There he was, standing across the parking lot from me, staring and laughing with his friends. He pointed and stared at me and my bright pink hair, dark eyeliner, and large black heels. I was a piece of work to him I guess; just another for him to judge and make fun of.

Who is he you ask? His name is Zhou Mi, a transfer student from China, which just happened to be the country I was born in too.

Funny how that works out, huh.

I moved to Busan, South Korea when I was about 14 with my parents since my dad had a job relocation. I was quickly named the weird one for my constant hair colour changes and odd wardrobe. It entertained me at first when people seemed too scared to talk to me because I was so “intimidating”.

Slowly, everyone began to warm up to me and realized that I wasn’t a Satanist with plans to kill the entire human population.

Zhou Mi however, moved to my highschool just last year.

Let’s just say he’s a very fabulous person.

 

When Zhou Mi first saw me in the hallways at school, he quickly formed a bad first impression of me and my apparently “terrible sense of fashion”. I also quickly formed an even worse impression of him.

Every day, Zhou Mi watched me and laughed, making fun of my hair, clothes, make up, and god knows what else. It was exhausting, having this jerk tell everyone rumors about you every day, and sometimes those people believing them. I hated to see his face, to hear his voice, or to even be within his presence.

He watches me with a pitiful look in his eyes, looking down on me.

My friends all said it was just because he was afraid of me. I am pretty intimidating.

 

Finally, I had enough of dealing with Mr. Too Gay To Function and decided to stand up to him.

 

I saw him laughing with his friends in the parking lot at the school, and every time I looked over, I could see the same condescending look from behind his sunglasses, burning holes through my head.

Enough was seriously enough.

Throwing my phone to the ground, I stomped over to him and his car, staring him in the eyes. It was a good thing that I wore wedges that day.

 

There it was; the same smirk I saw every day that just said: I know that I’m better than you.

I didn’t know what to say now that I was finally going to speak up. I had thought of an entire speech before I walked over, but my mind had gone blank.

“Can I help you, Bubble-gum hair?” He asked, the smirk still sitting on his face. I wanted to punch him so badly, but it would make me seem like even more intimidating than I already was.

I just backed off slightly until I was just a few feet away from him. “Yeah, I want to know what your problem is with me,” I asked, my arms  crossed and weight sitting on one foot.

Zhou Mi just laughed. “Well honey, I have a few problems. First of all, your terrible choice in hair colour is just bad, and those shoes with that shirt-”

Smack

“That’s not what I meant .”

I could see a small red hand mark forming on Zhou Mi’s cheek where I had slapped him. I guess I just had enough of him.

“Why do you hate me so much? I see you watching me every day from behind your Gucci sunglasses and your eyes just staring me down and I want to know why!” I yelled. The entire parking lot went quiet and I could feel hundreds of eyes watching Zhou Mi and I.

Zhou Mi did the one thing I expected him not to; laugh. “Bubble-gum hair-”

I slapped him again. “Don’t call me that.”

“Fine. Jia, I’ve had a problem with you since the beginning because I saw how popular you were. I wondered how you were at the top of the food-chain when you looked like… Like this.” Zhou Mi motioned to my outfit with a moderately disgusted look.

Rolling my eyes, I began to start but was quickly shushed by a hand covering my mouth. “I also had a problem with you because I was always the top dog at school. Everyone wanted to be friends with me, and no one else. You stole my spotlight.”

Zhou Mi moved his hand from my mouth, looking at me with a still slightly disgusted look.

I wasn’t entirely sure what to say.

 

He saw me as a threat?

 

Well that was the end of that problem.

 

“I guess I’m sorry for being ing awesome.”

 

I walked away from him with a big smirk on my face, happy with the outcome of that conversation.

“Wait, Bubble-gum hair!” He called. “I actually like that shade of pink on you!”

 

Needless to say, I never dyed my hair pink again.
 


Did anyone see my little Mean Girls reference? No?
okay.

hope you liked it. please comment :)