oo1

Tabloid

 

 

 

Monday. Again. Ugh.

Sometimes I just wish that the weekends could span a bit longer, don’t you? Monday is so far from Friday, yet Friday is so close to Monday. Nevertheless, I guess it doesn’t matter when you’ve got an excellent job that you love. I’ve got that, a job that I love.

It’s just that, people don’t love me back.

 

Let me straighten some things out for you. I work as a reporter at a highly known tabloid, Idol Extra!, writing articles on famous celebrities. And I mean, I love reporting and doing research but it always seems that no matter how I try I just can’t get my facts straight.

Last week alone, I received over ninety messages in my inbox. All complaints on my writing, demanding to know why I keep printing lies and continue to fabricate my writing. Honestly, I don’t. I never have and I have sworn to myself that I never will. So, to me, it’s confusing to why I keep getting so much hate-mail.

 

I watched my editor walk around the room, handing out everybody’s topics for our next issue. I felt my hands start to get sweaty. Will I even get a topic for this month?

 

He finally made it to my desk and handed me my letter, his face brightly smiling. To bad I could read him like a book, that smile of his was full of pity. I took the letter from his hand and, without thinking, I opened it.

 

Dear KyungMi,

 

I hate to tell you this, but because of your little accident in our last publication I have been given no chance but to give you your last warning. If you screw up this time, I’m going to have to let you go.

 

I gulped hard, but pressed on and continued to read.

 

For our next publication, I want you on top of the rumor about Kim Myungsoo(L) from the boy band, Infinite. A strong and heavily backed up rumor has been going around about him having a girlfriend, and leaving the group because of it.

 

Remember what I said.

 

Good luck.

JoKwon

 

A story on Infinite? Gladly.


To be honest, yes I am an ‘Inspirit’. Their music just makes me happy, plain and simple. Not to even mention their great looks and perfect dancing. So, to me, this topic will probably be the best I will ever have.

But it does put so much more pressure on me. Just think about it, if I make even one mistake in this issue, how many angry Inspirits will I have on my hands? My inbox will be flooded and I’ll be fired.

Not an ideal combination.

 



✐✐✐✐✐✐

 


It was my lunch break, so I decided to go visit my flat-mate at her Ice-Cream parlor downtown. It was a cute little place, really. It’s just a shame that it’s not more popular, they have some of the best ice cream I’ve ever tasted.

After successfully parallel parking my car outside, I walked across the street to the shop. Like usual, it was relatively empty. Except for this adorable little old couple that were there everyday for lunch.

 

“Hey Nara!” I called to my friend who was sitting behind the counter flipping through a fashion magazine. “What’s new?”

 

She looked up at me with a bright smile on her face. She started scooping my usual order; two scoops of chocolate chip cookie dough in a waffle cone. “Nothing really. It’s been a super slow day.”

 

“When isn’t it?” I joked.

 

“No, but seriously. No kids have come in today, and it was a half-day at the elementary.” She handed me my waffle cone and I paid.

 

“Wow, that slow huh?” I said, my ice cream.

 

“Yeah, but I guess I should start getting used to it.” She tossed the ice cream scooped in the sink. “So, how did it go with your boss? Did he fire you?”

 

A devilish smile crept onto my face. I couldn’t wait to tell her. Correction, I can’t wait to see her face when I tell her.

 

“What? What is it?” She pressed on.

 

“Well,” I started slyly, reaching into my bag to pull out the envelope, “I got a new topic.”

 

Her face brightened almost immediately.

 

“What is it on? Please tell me it’s not on something stupid, like finance.”

 

“Nope.” I giggled. I lifted the paper out of my bag and she snatched it from my fingers before I could even think of what to say.

 

I watched her eyes read the letter line by line, until I knew she had read it. Her face was pure joy and her smile was wide and bright when she looked up at me.

 

“Infinite? He put you in charge of a story on Infinite?” There was a shrill of joy in her voice with every word.

 

“Not just Infinite,” I say taking the paper back, “But a story on L from Infinite.”

 

“Too bad he has a girlfriend now.”

 

“Who says he has a girlfriend?” I ask, almost choking on my ice cream.

 

“You haven’t done any research yet, have you?” She giggled.

 

“No.” I admit. “I’ve been to busy freaking out about this! I mean, honestly. For the next several weeks I get to spend my time at work looking up everything Infinite.”

 

“You lucky duck.” She pouted.

 

I ruffled her hair. “Aish, such a little kid.”

 

“Well I do work at a ice cream shop.”

 

 

✐✐✐✐✐✐

 


After my lunch break with Nara, I headed back to the office to start my research. What else was I to do? Procrastinate? Well, normally I would if I were to get a boring topic, I would. But now I’m basically being paid to do research on my favorite group. Ah, paradise.