Prologue

Lovely Road Kill

You were sick of everything back home. Sick of the lies, sick of the people, sick of the sorrow that stole the smiles that should have been on your face. You grew up not knowing what happiness truely was. And you never dreamt of it either. Not because you didn't want it, but because you were unconsciously afriad of it. This is simply the way you thought; if one was happy, they could get hurt. Just how your mother had. If you were happy, you would become blind, fall in love, and get torn to pieces.

But if you didn't seek happiness, you wouldn't have to deal with the pain. You wouldn't have to make the same mistakes your mother did. You wouldn't have to deal with the disgusting pig of a husband your mother had.

It was because of him now that everyone looked at you with pity. Because now the word "I'm so sorry" reminded you of a mother you used to have.

There wasn't anything there for you anymore. The place you called home wasn't home, and if you didn't get a fresh new start, you might just go insane.

So here you find yourself in Seoul, South Korea. Out of all places, you chose Asia. You visited once during college while you were studying abroad, and ever since then you had fallen in love with the people, the culture, the scenery, but most importantly, the food.

God, was the food delicious.

Your random ringing phone inturrupted your infamous deep, quiet, thinking, making you accidentaly drop you pencil on the ground. You were in your office managing various perscriptions and appointments for your clients when you decided enough was enough. You had been working since 4:00 that morning and it was- you glanced at your watch- almost midnight. You breathed out a heavy breath. Not to mention you'd been up and runnig the entire day.

Getting up and without answering your phone, you grabbed your things; your purse, your keys, your appointment book, your note book, a folder which you stuck in a filing cabinet on your way out.

Flinging the door to your office open you managed to show off your awesome clumsy skills and stubbed your toe on the way out.

Cursing yourself under your breath, you made your way across the empty dark waiting room preparing your keys to lock up the vet clinic. Looking up through the glass front doors you noticed a man holding a cell phone to his ear with one hand and the other holding the leash to a great pyrenees. He wore sunglasses despite it was night, and a scarf, despite the warm air outside. Your phone stopped ringing just as he had lowered his.

You raised an eyebrow at him. Unlocking one of the doors you pushed it open, carefull not to stub your toe again.

"Hello," You forced out an exhausted sweet smile. It was a smile you were used to giving, but it had no meaning to you, nor did it indicate how you truely felt. All it did was serve as a mask for you. "Closing time was six hours ago, but what can I help you with, sir?" Your slight accent was most noticable when you were dead on your feet, but you didn't care at the moment, you were practically going cross-eyed refraining from falling asleep on the spot.

His dog gently nudged your hip and you lovingly his fur. There was no doubt, dogs and animals is what made all these hours of labor completely worth the stress. They were the only creatures you let into your heart, and when you had to put them down, you just imagined them going to a better place, their suffering was ending. And it didn't hurt as much to inject the fluid.

"Are you the vet here?" He asked. You nodded a yes and he continued, "I'm sorry, you must be tired but I was supposed to bring him in for a check up weeks ago, but something was always coming up. Tonight might be my only chance since I'll be leaving tomorrow for work. If it's not too much to ask, will you see him?" He asked you, his voice was slightly strained, low, and quiet. Who wears sunglasses at night and a scarf during summer? Was the only thing you could process.

You stood there for a moment or two not answering.

"Um, hello? Are you alright?" He asked again.

"Oh!" You exclaimed, "I'm sorry, it's been a long day," You snorted at yourself, "I'm sorry, it's alright, I'll be glad to see him." Holding the door open for the two of them to enter, you followed, flipping on the lights.

"This way." You lead them to one of the examination rooms.

In about 15-20 minutes or so you had finished the check up, glad to give the news that his companion was healthy. The whole time the man wore his glasses and his scarf which made you uneasy being that you felt like his eyes were burning into your face the entire time. You lured the dog of the counter with a treat and scratched behind his ear letting him have it.

"So...why the glasses and scarf?" You blurted on the way to the reception desk. You had absolutely no self-controll at this point did you?

"Oh, it's..." He trailed off.

"It's fine, you don't have to answer. So your total is-" The man layed his money out on the desk, quickly bowing and giving a full-hearted thank you before he left.

"Wait!" You called after him, "Don't you want your change?" But he was already gone.

What a weird dude.

-x-

Yayy!! First chapter ;3 Err...prologue thingy... Hope you liked it!!