How I Met My Mother

Twin Hearts

 

New Jersey, USA

 

HONGKI

 

I woke from the sound of my phone ringing. I rubbed my face with my hands before sitting up to get my phone from the pocket of the jeans I wore last night, which is hanging behind my bedroom door. I looked at the digital clock on my bedside table and saw that it’s only 7:15 in the morning. I lazily walked towards it, wishing I put it beside me last night so I wouldn’t have to half-walk, and half-crawl just to get it. My phone is still ringing, which means it’s a call rather than a text message. When I reached my door, I immediately grabbed the jeans I wore yesterday and searched for my phone. It’s my dad on the caller ID. I wonder why he would call so early. I clicked the answer button.

“Good morning, dad,” I greeted in a warm voice, although it’s not how I feel. I really want to stay in my bed-- forever if allowed.

“Hongki, it’s breakfast time. Get down here, I cooked some pancakes,” he said.

Ugh. Dad’s pancakes are the worst but I can’t tell him that.

“Yes, dad,” I said instead. He hanged up after I said those words.

I threw my phone at my bed and went to my closet. I grabbed another pair of jeans and a red shirt. I wore them immediately and went to stand in front of a mirror. I reached for my comb and started combing my blond hair, which turns out to be very messy. My bed probably has hands and it ruffles my hair while I am asleep. I laughed at the idea.

It turns out that combing my hair isn’t that easy. It’s a war between me and my hair. I comb to the right side, my hair goes to the left. After successfully brushing my hair, I looked at the mirror to stare at myself.

I have a pretty ordinary face, as said by best friend—Seunghyun. My eyes are brown, too big for my liking, my nose isn’t perfect, but it’s alright. My lips are pinkish and bow-shaped. I have a blond hair, which I prefer over my natural black. My friends told me that black hair makes me look like a girl, so I dyed it blond.

I stopped studying my face. I walked towards my door and went downstairs. I found my dad in the kitchen, wearing the silly pink apron our neighbor Sally gave him.

“Hey, dad,” I called.

He turned to look at me and smiled. “Well, sit down. I made pancakes,” he gestured at the dining table.

My dad is a Korean-American, as I am. We lived here in the US since I was five. I don’t know where my mother is, I asked my dad about it and he said that they divorced when I was a little kid. She remained in wherever she is, while dad and I went to live here. I dismissed the thought of my mother immediately. I don’t hate her but I am pretty sure I don’t like her. What kind of mother would abandon her child for years? Someone who doesn’t love her child, for sure.

My dad sat on the chair across from mine when he’s done cooking.

“Hongki… your mother called,” he said in a low voice.

I stiffened at the word ‘mother’. Since when do I have a mother? I looked at dad, who is sipping his coffee. He’s squirming uncomfortably on his seat.

“Did… she say anything?” I asked, still surprised my ‘mother’ called.

My dad cleared his throat before speaking. “She wants you to go to Korea. Well, to meet you ofcourse.”

Oh. So my ‘mother’ wants to see me. After 12 years, she wants to see the son he abandoned. How touching.

“Your mother said that it’s important for you to meet her, so without your permission, I agreed,” he shrugged when he saw my perplexed expression. “It’s time for you to have a mother.”

“Dad!” I exclaimed. “Why would you do that? It’s been twelve years, as you said, when she abandoned us. I can’t even remember her face, or the color of her hair, and you… oh my gosh.”

“Hongki,” he said in a warm voice. “You should really meet your mother. I made a mistake when I didn’t even showed you photos of her. I took you away from her.”

I shook my head. “No, dad. If she really wants to see me, she would have done that years ago.”

“Do it, Hongki. For me. For yourself.”

I let out a sigh. This is really shocking for me and my dad expects me to forgive my mother who left me when I was five—an age in which a child needs his mother. I really want to say no, but I would sound so cold and callous for not agreeing to see my ‘mother’, who all of a sudden wants to see her son.

“Okay, I’ll meet her,” I said finally.

My dad sighed in relief. He must be holding his breath while waiting for my answer.

“That is good, son. I readied your passport and—“

“Passport?” I asked.

“She’s in Korea. I told you that earlier. Anyway it’s summer vacation and you have all the time you need with your mom. Just come back here in one piece, ‘kay?”

Oh, great. My mother is in Korea. It’s no problem really, since I speak Korean fluently—my dad taught me—but I don’t want to be leaving the country now. I was planning to go to Miami to join my best friend. Apparently I can’t do and my dad wants this so… I nodded.

My dad stood from his chair and went to my side. He ruffled my hair.

“Come back here safely, son.”

 

***

 

Seoul, Korea

 

I looked around the airport, looking for a man—who, according to my mother, is holding my name. I found my name held by a thin, middle –aged man, wearing a coat and tie, and sunglasses. Totally scary, if you ask me. I walked towards him.

“Mr. Lee Hongki?” he asked politely. I nodded. “I’ll lead you to the car.”

I followed the man until we were in front of a black SUV. He opened the door for me and I went in. The man in black, as I would like to call this stranger, went around to the driver’s seat. He started the car right after he got in.

I rested my head on the window. Seoul is in a way different to me. Oh, who am I kidding, it’s a whole lot different. I am like a fish out of water here. I thought about my dad who sent me off. He’ll be by himself. I am worried that all he’s going to eat are burned hotdogs and disgusting pancakes, but I am assured Sally would take care of him. These days, those two are really getting close. Yep, that’s right. Sally would take good care of dad. I should be worrying about myself.

“Sir, we are here,” the man told me.

I looked out the window. Oops, I didn’t notice we already stopped. Hey that was quick! Anyway, we are parked in front of a really tall building. I also didn’t notice that the guy had already opened my door. My mind is totally out of this planet. I get off the car and stood there, gaping at people. I am not used to seeing many Koreans walking the road.

“Sir?” the man startled me. “Shall we?” he gestured at the building—the tall building.

I nodded.

 

***

 

“Sir, if you need anything, don’t hesitate to call me,” the woman said in Korean. She’s probably my mother’s secretary. I said thank you and she left the room.

I am sitting in probably the most comfortable chair in the world and yet I feel totally opposite. I suddenly became nervous. I am going to meet the woman who bore me in this world. I looked around the room, probably my mother’s office. It is wallpapered in dark brown—how gloomy, and carpeted in red—how gloomy too. In the middle of her office is a mahogany table, behind it a big, black swiveling chair. There are photo frames in her table. I stood up and went to her table. This is totally snooping but—hey!

The guy on the picture frame on her table is me, or rather someone who looks like me. I was still surprised to see myself, err- another guy—who looks a lot like me, when the door to the office opened. A woman in her mid-thirties emerged from the door. She’s tall and beautiful. She has an aura that tells other people her importance.

She’s my mother.

 

A/N

 

This is pretty short because my mind is in another story (again) but I hope it's a good start :)

 

What do you think guys? :)

 

Anyway~ thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting~ see ya!