PART 2

The Blades of Destiny

 

 

#2: The Chosen One

 

“What’s wrong with you now?” Yunho asked him in concern. “If you’re sulking over the Mana issue from the other day, I’m sorry. I was being a bit harsh, although you sort of deserv--”

“It’s not that. It’s something else and it’s none of your business. So don’t worry about it.”

Yunho looked at his brother with crossed arms and suspicious eyes. “So you found the book? What does it say? Will it be the end of the world?”

Changmin simply shook his head from side to side and went back to examining the set of blades with an even heavier frown. This matter is bothering him so much, yet he can’t speak anything about it to Yunho.

“Which one is it? It’s not the end of the world, or you haven’t found the book?”

“Rika wouldn’t give the book to me, brother.”

“Well, that’s a good news. At least someone else is putting a stop to your over-inquisitive mind too. Changmin, you’re only going to put yourself in danger,” Yunho advised.

Both of them were silent for a while before Yunho announced that he has some errands to attend to and left Changmin alone at the shrine to finish his pondering. A sigh left Changmin’s lips as he traced with the tip of his fingers the imaginary crescent just above the symbols that accompanied the new position of the blades. He didn’t want to believe Rika’s words. He wouldn’t dare to risk his life for something that is still uncertain. But setting the prophecy aside, he can’t deny that he was getting curious. The thought of meeting his soul mate from another realm was overwhelming.

Should he just agree to Rika’s plan without informing Yunho?

He was letting his mind run back and forth between his options when suddenly he felt something thoroughly unexplainable. He clutched at his heart tightly and his breath seemed to have left him in that tiny moment. He turned and looked around, but everything else seemed to be unaffected. He looked down at his hands and checked himself, surprised to find that he was perfectly fine and was still standing on his own two feet. He was sure, very sure, that he just felt as if the ground had opened up and ate him whole. He felt as if he was falling down a bottomless pit.

Then something else hit him. In the next brief seconds, his heart clenched in a way he never thought possible. A weird sense of protectiveness began to consume him. But of course, the feeling was baseless.

He was confused.

“You felt that, didn’t you?” Rika’s voice suddenly echoed within the shrine. With a bright flash of light, she appeared before him and caught him before he fell to the floor. His world was spinning. “She could be in danger. You should make your decision faster.”

“W-what... was that?”

“You felt her heart, noble man. When her heart beats, or even when her heart stops beating, yours will too. This is the evidence that you seek. This connection is the proof that you’re the one, and not your brother. This is the link that will fulfil the Change and the Prophecy. Look...”

Rika pointed at the set of blades, which are now glowing in red. “Events are starting to take its place.”

***

“Oh my... Dear, are you alright?” Mrs Lee came rushing out of her apartment to her side when she heard the noise.

“I’m fine-- ah!”

“Careful, dear. I’m afraid you’ve sprained an ankle.”

With care, the old lady assisted her to sit on a nearby chair. She hissed each time the bad ankle was moved. She looked back behind her and cursed at her own clumsiness. How could she be so careless to have missed one of the steps? Luckily, the fall wasn’t so high. Rolling all the way down the stairs could’ve been more troublesome.

“Miss...”

“YooHee.”

“Miss YooHee. Why, that’s a beautiful name. Maybe we should get you inside, dear. I can make you some tea and you can have it while I’ll help you massage the pain away.”

“Please don’t, you don’t have to,” she cut in and refused her arm. “I don’t want your help. I can take care of it myself from here. Thank you.”

She pushed herself out of the chair as soon as she was confident that her ankle could survive another flight of stairs. She bowed hastily at the old woman and limped away, hissing at each step. Mrs Lee sighed at the view but didn’t want to go against her wishes. It won’t benefit anyone if she couldn’t get on YooHee’s good side.

But something has clearly stirred the calmness in Mrs Lee’s eyes. “Why must it be this soon? Poor child…”

YooHee arrived at her door a few minutes later. Her desire to take a relaxing evening walk around the block had to be put aside for now. She had to nurse her ankle. Otherwise, it is going to swell like hell when classes start again on Monday.

She looked down at the red-ish bulge where it hurts. She was used to such bad luck, but she definitely hates the pain. She stared at it for some more, feeling slightly hopeless. Maybe she should’ve just accepted Mrs Lee’s offer. At least, in that way it could help her reduce the pain even by a little.

A sigh left her lips. She couldn’t even remember when was the last time she had called for help. Maybe never. She really is this kind of person who hates it when people get nosy over the matters in her life. After getting some ice packs, she made her way to her bed and lay down. Sleeping is another way to help her forget about this misery, and so she did just that.

Just as soon as her eyes closed, the image of the two young men from her previous dreams re-appeared before her. She grunted softly, but she wasn’t going to fuss over it anymore. The two young men had such beautiful features for her eyes to feast on. If it didn’t harm her, why would she push them away? She was going to let those men accompany her throughout the rest of her dreams, being totally oblivious of its actual purpose and the possible danger that it beholds.

***

“Are you doing what I think you’re doing?” Yunho asked in horror as he watched Changmin drawing symbols in the air while mumbling incoherent words. It wasn’t a good sign at all. And Yunho could be sure that this has all the things to do with the prophecy and the blades.

“I’ve decided, brother. I will do this,” Changmin voiced calmly. The diamond shape on his forehead glowed brighter and brighter by the second, making Yunho’s anger rise with it.

“Do what, trying to throw your life away? Are you trying to dig your own grave? Changmin, this is forbidden!”

“You’ll understand when it’s time, Yunho,” Changmin voiced softly. The ritual was nearly complete. He’ll be crossing between the two worlds shortly.

“Changmin! As your only brother I command you to stop this nonsense! You’re dishonouring me!”

“I have to do this, brother. The universe is collapsing. I need to fix this before it’s too late."

“Changmin, listen to me. We have the royal family to do things like that for our people! You must stop! Now!!”

“I can’t. I am the chosen one, brother.”

The portal has opened and the only thing left for Changmin to do is to step inside. He paused for a moment and looked back at the angry Yunho who seemed to have a lot more to say, but ran out of words. Changmin smiled at his brother, hoping that Yunho will put his trust and faith in him. It’s for the better of their people.

With a wave goodbye, Changmin walked backwards into the depth of the glowing light. Yunho gasped and lunged forward, but Changmin had already vanished and the portal wasn’t going to accept him. If he were to run after Changmin, he would have to sacrifice all of his Mana too in order to complete the same complicated ritual. And he wasn’t prepared to do that. He wasn’t going to do something so stupid. His Mana was precious, like everyone else’s.

All these while, Yunho could still tolerate Changmin’s over-inquisitive mind, but to have him use up all of his Mana for the stupid premonition has finally sent him over the edge. There will be no way for Changmin to be able to recharge his Mana in that other world to able him to open another portal to return. He needs his soul mate for that. And he couldn’t possibly have a human as his soul mate. It’s impossible!

Yunho’s heart sank at the thought. Did he just lose his brother forever?

He grunted hard and vanished through thin air to find Rika. She should know what happened and what can be done. Though, if she was the one who gave Changmin the idea that he can save the world, he will definitely make sure that Rika will pay for everything she has said and done. His face went red with rage at the possibilty.

“Rika!” he shouted to the empty chamber. It looked empty, but Yunho knew that Rika could hear him. “Rika, come out now! We need to talk!”

It took a few more seconds before Rika appeared walking out from her private chamber with all of her grace. “Yes, noble man? You summoned me?”

“Bring my brother back!”

Rika’s lips slowly formed a smile. “I can’t help you with that, noble man. His fate is stronger. It’s his destiny, and I shall not interfere. But if you insist, it’s not me who you need to seek.”

“Then who?!”

“Your own flesh and blood whose status is only slightly above yours,” she answered. “The royal family, they can figure out a way. However, I strongly discouraged interference. The course itself has been delayed and things are already starting to collapse.”

“But how will he return?” Yunho felt his heart beat fast as he tightened his fists.

“Don’t worry, noble man. He will find her there,” Rika smiled meaningfully. And without another word, she excused herself and returned to her private chamber to rest, leaving Yunho stunned and even more confused.

***

“Ouch!”

Changmin groaned and slowly lifted himself from the ground. He had never walked through space portals before, and no one had ever warned him to watch his steps as he walks into one. He realised he had walked backwards into it just now in order to bid his last goodbye to his brother. And as a result, he had non-too gracefully landed on his bum. “Maybe this isn’t such a good idea after all,” he mumbled quietly.

While he dusted and straightened himself, he let his eyes consume his new surroundings. His actions soon slowed down and his lips mildly parted in awe. He had never seen such a remarkable sight before. He took a few steps forward and then realised how smooth the ground actually was. He looked at his feet and saw the all-ordinary grass, which made him somewhat confused. He kneeled and touched the ground with the tip of his finger. It was damp, and cool to the touch. He never knew that the ground could accept this much moisture.

He returned his gaze forward and saw buildings in front of him. There aren’t many, and most of them are box shaped with various measurements. Some of them are high, and some of them are wide. Greeneries grew in between, giving the place a touch of colour and calmness.

Step-by-step, his mind raced as he looked into this new excitement of a discovery. Nobles aren’t allowed to travel between the worlds, and as such, no one could explain to him how the other world looked like. To witness such an existence first hand, his joy was simply indescribable.

He closed his eyes, took in a deep breath and grinned. Everything almost feels like home, although he knew it wasn’t. When he opened his eyes again, he was ready. And so began his search towards finding his other half, using only his instincts and his heart as aids.